AdvancTrac almost caused a major wreck - Page 8 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Red3.7 View Post
Dan, Please, please get your info and VIN to Deysha!
Deysha according to my count including the complaints on other Forums, and the '11 GT500, that is seven 2011 Mustangs with Advanctrac freaking out causing the car to swerve.
Red,
I traded mine on Saturday, not because of anything to do with the car except that it doesn't pull a boat to well. So I guess someone else can deal with it.

2011 GT/CS Race Red, 6MT, 3.55s, GT500 A/B, K&N **sold**
2014 F150 Lariat SCrew, 5.0L, 4x4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

11Red3.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
Red, I'm not gonna read through this again but (and I know how this is easier to say than do) if possible next time it does this try keeping your foot on the gas, the other foot pressing lightly on the brake (enough to activate the lights) then press and hold the t/c switch for about 5 seconds to see if it'll disable the advancetrac. this may help in diagnosis if the tech is gifted.
Sorry AM this makes no sense to me. Besides fighting the car trying to keep it from going in the ditch or hitting someone else advanctrac can only be deactivated while at a complete stop with your foot on the brakes. I do know this during the first event the car would not respond to the TC button at all. Next Tuesday the blackbox or vdr gets installed.

11Red3.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan02gt View Post
Red,
I traded mine on Saturday, not because of anything to do with the car except that it doesn't pull a boat to well. So I guess someone else can deal with it.
Oh ok, but the VIN would still be useful if the next owner brings the car in for the bad advanctrac. Thanks! Cindy

SHELBY GT 350 Member

Red, I believe that you just need to have your foot on the brake it looks for a input signal this will allow my PP to go into a looser trac control mode (option with perf pack) while driving by me lightly pressing the brake tapping the t/c button twice. Try when it's not messing up to be cruising light brake application and hold the t/c button down for 5-10 secs to see is the vsc goes off. +1 on avoiding ditch.

2012 V6 traded in for a 2017 VW GTI.
11Red3.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
Red, I believe that you just need to have your foot on the brake it looks for a input signal this will allow my PP to go into a looser trac control mode (option with perf pack) while driving by me lightly pressing the brake tapping the t/c button twice. Try when it's not messing up to be cruising light brake application and hold the t/c button down for 5-10 secs to see is the vsc goes off. +1 on avoiding ditch.
Ahhh I get it now. On the 11s & 12s the GTs and the V6s with the Performance Package have Sport Mode. I have a 2011 V6 Premium, so sadly no Sport Mode for me. Thanks for the thought though, any and all ideas/thoughts are appreciated.
SHELBY GT 350 Member

yes, I know you don't have a Perf Pack (partonizingly typed) but the brake part / button hold will shut off the vsc, try it you should see some message show up on the dash when you do this.

2012 V6 traded in for a 2017 VW GTI.
FordService

Quote:
Hey Deysha, I called and left a message no call back. Went back to the dealership and just spoke to my CSM but it was yet another wasted trip he had nothing, and I still couldn't get it in today. After speaking to the shop foreman I now have an appointment for next Tuesday. They think they will have it for at least 2 days because they want to try and duplicate it again, then hook up the VDR for me a 1.5 hour task. And he says he thinks he can maybe get me a car to drive, needs special Ford authorization or something? ***SIGH***
Ive re-opened the case for you, 11Red3.7. You should receive a call by end of business today.

Deysha
11Red3.7

Car is back at the dealer for a couple of days, I got a Mitsubishi Galant from their rental car place that reeks of old cigarette smoke.

I have the differental leak, which after over 25 thousand miles is still leaking on my driveway. The shift flares and rough shifting, sometimes while braking now it darts left and right. And of course the dreaded advanctrac trying to cause wrecks instead of preventing them... I was able to get the braking swerve to happen for the dealer on the go round the block trip. I'm wondering if the advanctrac slaming individual brakes has caused an inbalance in the brakes?
I was told they will try to duplicate for the next 2 days then I should be getting the black box/vehicle data recorder(old style). Then just waiting to hit the button.
11Red3.7

The new seal for my differential is on order.
They didn't even try to diagnose the bad shifting, they think maybe the VDR can record something after a shift flare. But I'm not so sure. My customer service rep says after the VDR records what is causing my advanctrac to go crazy not only can they fix that but also convence Ford for an alignment job. He thinks that is causing my swerving/darting when I use my brakes while turning, I think it could be a braking issue or imbalance after all my advanctrac failures. Now waiting to record some failures...
GT Member

Quote:
It was 80F, on a clear, flat, smooth dry on ramp. I tried to get around an 18 wheeler hauling rocks. I had TC off, and went to 2/3 or 3/4 throttle, didn't even floor it, when I got along side the truck the TC Active light came on cutting the throttle and slaming on each brake individually in a clockwise order. I wasn't even coming close to breaking any traction, and this went on for a while. I pulled over, put it in park then pulled back out to get on the freeway. I very slowly and steadilly pulled up to about 50mph and the TC freaked out again!! Slamming each individual brake so hard I began swirving badly, and I'm in the middle lane with traffic passing me on both sides now. Even when I slowed way down it is still going nuts. The TC button would not work, I couldn't turn TC or advanctrac on, off or anything. Finally I made it to the shoulder, turned the car off for several minutes and babyed the car home.
I have an appointment with the dealer tomorrow. I've been postponing the shifting TSB, and the squeaky belt TSB hoping they would happen more often making it easier to diagnose. Also my steering wheel buttons are looking bad, flaking off paint. Sure hope they can get me fixed up. Just don't want to hear that they drove around the block and it drove fine for them...

Anyone have a similar TC event?
This happened to me before a couple times. Hope your data recorder comes up with an answer! I did not have tc off, but did not have any reason for it to activate either.

2016 GT Premium black out 6 speed.
11Red3.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadstick View Post
This happened to me before a couple times. Hope your data recorder comes up with an answer! I did not have tc off, but did not have any reason for it to activate either.
Thank you Deadstick I hope it does too. And by my count on this and other forums you are the 8th person to complain about this including me. The only one to come up with an answer so far is a 2011 GT500 guy with a manual who figured out how to make it fail on demand. I hope I'm the second, and the first with an auto to figure this out, with the help of the VDR. So far all failures that I have sorted thru have been right after startup, usually a warm startup, making a stop, then a hard turn, then accelerating past 45mph. The harder you're accelerating the more agressive and scary the advanctrac intervention. It has happened to me twice with traction contol off, one time with TC on.
Deysha are you getting this? Another one.
Apprentice

Mine freaked out for the first time yesterday. Thankfully it was only the front left and with no traffic around. The situation when it happened is exactly what you described for most people's. I had a cold start up and drove about two miles down the street to a store. I was in the store for just a couple minutes. When I went to leAve the store I had to drive down a short road, about 100 feet, come to a stop, turn right about 60 degrees and then accelerate. When I git about 60 is when my front left wheel started slamming on and off the brake. I pulled over and came to a complete stop. I waited for a minutes and then proceeded to drive to a gas station about 300 yards away. When I reached about 45mph the front left wheel started braking on and off again. After turning the car off at the gas station and back on I didn't have a problem the rest of the way home.

2012 Mustang GT Sterling Gray Metallic 6spd

1992 Mustang GT 347 stroker - SOLD
11Red3.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestang50 View Post
Mine freaked out for the first time yesterday. Thankfully it was only the front left and with no traffic around. The situation when it happened is exactly what you described for most people's. I had a cold start up and drove about two miles down the street to a store. I was in the store for just a couple minutes. When I went to leAve the store I had to drive down a short road, about 100 feet, come to a stop, turn right about 60 degrees and then accelerate. When I git about 60 is when my front left wheel started slamming on and off the brake. I pulled over and came to a complete stop. I waited for a minutes and then proceeded to drive to a gas station about 300 yards away. When I reached about 45mph the front left wheel started braking on and off again. After turning the car off at the gas station and back on I didn't have a problem the rest of the way home.
Yes Blue that is almost textbook, excepty for the one time going off at 60mph. Do you have an MT-82? I'll link the GT500 guy from the other thread he was able to get his to fail on comand with his manual and his got fixed. Please contact Deysha, and NHTSA, I have my link a few pages back. You can take our complaint #'s and put them in yours. Your's is the 9th mustang to report this in a forum by my count. If you can't tell this is personal now and I want this stupid dangerours glitch fixed...
Rookie

Quote:
Your's is the 9th mustang to report this in a forum by my count.
Mine is the 10th then.

Last week Wednesday. Clear Texas morning. No water or oil on the road. Merged into a road turning crisply 90 degrees to the right and then go up a hill. After shifting to 3rd gear around 40mph the car lost power and the traction control light was blinking. It felt like I had a flat tire on the front left side. I stepped on the brakes and a grinding noise came from the front! I released the brakes and the grinding stopped. I applied the brakes again and the grinding was louder that time. Since I had space and the car was stopping by itself anyway, I released the brakes to let the car stop by itself. Once I was on the side of the road I turned off the engine and got out to inspect the tires for a flat and see if the there was anything stuck underneath that I had not noticed. Nothing looked out of order. Got back in, started the car and pushed the traction control button to turn it off and drove. A few seconds after I shifted to 3rd the car started to swerve all over the road. It felt like each side was braking in turn. I briefly applied the brakes only to hear the grinding noise again so I let it stop by itself. Once the car stopped I turned off the engine and was on the phone for a few minutes. Since the phone's battery was low I decided to go back home to call the wrecker from there so I started the car, turned off the traction control again and headed home. The car drove ok for that mile so I decided to venture the drive to the Ford dealer. There they told me they were busy and short-handed to they would not be able to check the car for a few days.

Since Wednesday morning the car has not had the problem, although I have been driving very gingerly because I don't trust it.
FordService

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadstick View Post
Quote:
Deysha are you getting this? Another one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestang50 View Post
Mine freaked out for the first time yesterday. Thankfully it was only the front left and with no traffic around.
Quote:
Originally Posted by inmortal View Post
Mine is the 10th then.
Last week Wednesday. Clear Texas morning. No water or oil on the road. Merged into a road turning crisply 90 degrees to the right and then go up a hill. After shifting to 3rd gear around 40mph the car lost power and the traction control light was blinking.
Thank you, 11Red3.7. Guys, please PM me with all your info and make appointments with your dealers so we can get this resolved.

Deysha

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
advanctrac , traction control

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page