AdvancTrac almost caused a major wreck - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
11Red3.7

AdvancTrac almost caused a major wreck

It was 80F, on a clear, flat, smooth dry on ramp. I tried to get around an 18 wheeler hauling rocks. I had TC off, and went to 2/3 or 3/4 throttle, didn't even floor it, when I got along side the truck the TC Active light came on cutting the throttle and slaming on each brake individually in a clockwise order. I wasn't even coming close to breaking any traction, and this went on for a while. I pulled over, put it in park then pulled back out to get on the freeway. I very slowly and steadilly pulled up to about 50mph and the TC freaked out again!! Slamming each individual brake so hard I began swirving badly, and I'm in the middle lane with traffic passing me on both sides now. Even when I slowed way down it is still going nuts. The TC button would not work, I couldn't turn TC or advanctrac on, off or anything. Finally I made it to the shoulder, turned the car off for several minutes and babyed the car home.
I have an appointment with the dealer tomorrow. I've been postponing the shifting TSB, and the squeaky belt TSB hoping they would happen more often making it easier to diagnose. Also my steering wheel buttons are looking bad, flaking off paint. Sure hope they can get me fixed up. Just don't want to hear that they drove around the block and it drove fine for them...

Anyone have a similar TC event?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

What year is the car?

2008 Mustang V6 Grabber Orange,
Sequential taillights,GO Mirror Covers
GO Headlight Splitters,BBK Cold Air Intake
GT Style Billet Grille With Halo Lights
Pypes Street Pro Exhaust,Magnetic Decklid Panel
Stack Racing Bullitt Fuel Door
Black Shelby Hood Pins
Grabber Orange Calipers
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Wow, never heard of something like that happening before. At least you didn't crash, hopefully they can fix it for you.

Black 2011 V6

GT Member

Wow! That's crazy! I wonder what the cause is?

As for the buttons on the steering wheel: I thought my paint was fading, as there was noticeable color discoloration, I ended up wiping them with my interior cleaner designed for hard vinyl plastic, and lo-and-behold the buttons cleaned up and looked as good as new.

Keep us updated on what happened...I'm interested to hear what the deal was.

Past: 2011 3.7 6AT SG
Current: 2014 5.0 6MT Black
glock22357

Well, you certainly have a serious issue with your TC. Let the dealership take care of you.

As far as the buttons on the steering wheel, this is a common problem, and the button covers are pretty easy to replace yourself. A search in this forum will get you some good info. But the problem is people using their finger-nails instead of their finger tips/pads.
11Red3.7

Heading to class now, I'll check back if a couple hours! Thanks.
Grimace427

Sounds like a wheel speed sensor fault.
Apprentice
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangMadnesGO View Post
What year is the car?
guessing a 2011 3.7 judging by his name :}
Grimace427

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darin1988 View Post
guessing a 2011 3.7 judging by her name :}
Fixed.
Apprentice

I find it very common in cars driven by women that the buttons on the interior are missing paint. As stated, they use their nails instead of their pad and it just scrapes it off over time.

Anyway, I'm voting on possible wheel speed sensor or whatever monitors steering input. The car thinks you're doing something you're not, so it's one of these areas that are subject to being the likely cause.

'13 'Stang - V6 Base GHIG - Ordered: 5/31 - VIN Issued: 6/7 - Window Sticker: 6/19 - Build Date: 6/25 - ETA: 7/6 - Received: 7/3
'00 Grand Prix
- L67 Swap, 3.25" Pulley, Cam, Headers, etc.
11Red3.7

Wheel speed sensor, good possibility to know about. I was just thinking dealership reflashing something in the PCM that controls advanctrac. It's scary, I'm driving slowly with 2 hands firmly on the wheel, just waiting for the car to freak out and start swirving out of control again.
2006GTfan

Wow! I don't drive with advance Trac of traction control on unless the roads are slick. I drive with everything off. I like to be the one in control of my car, and the car moves faster with everything off. At least the butt dyno feels that way.
11Red3.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguin View Post
I find it very common in cars driven by women that the buttons on the interior are missing paint. As stated, they use their nails instead of their pad and it just scrapes it off over time.

Anyway, I'm voting on possible wheel speed sensor or whatever monitors steering input. The car thinks you're doing something you're not, so it's one of these areas that are subject to being the likely cause.
Giggle... Snort..., I'm a C-17A Flying Crew Chief. I have very short, and very dirty finger nails most of the time. Maybe some residual hydraulic fluid, or Jet-A fuel when I touched them... Much more likely. It's o.k. to stereotype with limited info, I do it all the time.
MACH I Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Wow, that sounds scary. Maybe contact Deysha to with your VIN and the issue for more help when you take it into the dealer.

2012 Mustang V6 Premium | Black on Black - SOLD
Options:6-speed automatic | pony package | HID headlamps | security package | reverse sensing system | comfort package
Build date: 5/12/2011 | Purchased: 6/7/2011
Mods: tape stripe delete | 20% tint | Dynomax SS cat-back exhaust (39507) | smoked side markers | Injen intake (PF9022WB)
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Red3.7 View Post
Giggle... Snort..., I'm a C-17A Flying Crew Chief. I have very short, and very dirty finger nails most of the time. Maybe some residual hydraulic fluid, or Jet-A fuel when I touched them... Much more likely. It's o.k. to stereotype with limited info, I do it all the time.
That's awesome. I'm a huge fan of those birds. Then again, I'm a huge fan of any sort of flying fortress that can perform short take offs, transport large payloads and not sink out of the sky.

/envy

Past: 2011 3.7 6AT SG
Current: 2014 5.0 6MT Black
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
advanctrac , traction control

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page