Ford Mustang Forum banner

SCT tuner Buyer Beware!

8K views 27 replies 19 participants last post by  Rush2011 
#1 ·
I am reposting this in 2011 talk after responding to a similar thread in 2011 gt tech. I am simply sharing my experience I had with their product and customer service (or lack of). SCT has some SERIOUS problems with there software updating! I had been having trouble updating mine despite doing exactly as directed. When I called their CS they bricked my ECU with their recovery file! My car was running fine prior, I was just trying to get the software properly updated with their support and made the mistake of thinkingthey knew what they were doing.

Mind you I was apprehensive doing this on a Friday, but it was 2pm and figured it was just a software update. Long story short ay 6:03pm they bricked my ECU and told me I had to have it towed to Ford to be reset!!! When I asked if disconnecting negative terminal might reset the ecu, I was told nope only a Ford dealership could unlock it, Seriously! When I asked were they really going to leave me stuck after bricking my ECU, they blamed it on Ford and that its a "Mustang Issue" I quote. So he basically told me that the SCTx3 does not work properly with a Mustang.

Well thankfully he was wrong and yes I was able to reset the ECU by disconnecting the - battery terminal for 30 mins and reload my stock file. Despite being told that once my ECU was unlocked my tuner would be fine after updating software, which I did, my SCT x3 is bricked saying "improper firmware" contact SCT support, nice.

SCT x3 owners beware of the following:

As stated earlier unless you have to, do not update the SCT software unless you have no other choice!I had no issues until I downloaded their SCT software-supporting device.

Secondly, make sure you have returned to stock before updating (which I had)

Thirdly, if you have any software glitches such as not completing software update do not attempt to change your tune! (Which I didn’t but SCT bricked my ECU anyway)

Fourthly, do not call them on Friday, even if you call them early because they leave at 6:01 pm and could careless if your stuck like Chuck! Also plan on a long wait to actually speak to a tech (45 minutes or more) and a long process to resolve software issues.

Fifthly, apparently SCT knows there are some serious problems and the tech told me they would soon be updating the "crappy" software. His words not mine.

Sixthly, It is very sad that AM/Bama is teamed with SCT product because their product and service is exemplary.

Sorry lengthy rant, but I have been seeing a number of SCT issues on this board, particularly regarding software updating. I would hate to see (even the Jack Ass that left me bricked) anyone be stuck with a bricked ECU like I was yesterday thanks to SCT product and CS.

Peace

See less See more
#2 ·
At the beginning i wanted to get the diablosport trinity which i think is a better device overall, but i ended up with sct tuner.

But howcome they are not concerned by what occurs with their customer.

#4 ·
Wow. That's pretty bad.

#5 ·
Feelin better about my FRPP Pro-Cal II right about now. Sorry about your experience.

I had considered the whole SCT deal, but after reading FRPP's long article on dynos and the tricks some tuners employ, I decided to stick with Ford. And frankly, perhaps this is an older guy speaking, but the picture of the tuner guys in some of the Bama ads made me uneasy. I only entrust my cars to guys who look like they have the knowledge, training, and experience to do the work properly.

#6 ·
I've felt your pain OP and have had my own Horror Story thread.

Just updated my firmware yesterday and it was a bit nerve racking for something that should not be, so far its seems to have worked as designed but I did have to phone tech support once during my process.

SCT really needs to consider providing after hours/weekend tech support. Sucks being down a whole weekend cause they dont have their **** together. If I had to do it over again I'd be looking real hard at a diablosport.

#7 ·
Watchdogg,

I posted a thread in the 05-10 Tech forum earlier this week, and I am having similar issues. Bama couldn't help, and referred me to SCT. SCT's tech formated my tuner, so my stock file is gone now along with my custom tunes. My tuner is bricked as well.

SCT won't help me further, so I've got to get my PCM reflashed by Ford on Monday. I am beyond irritated with the whole thing. I'll never buy another tuner.

#8 ·
Unfortunately SCT is not a 24/7 business, it's also unfortunate that Mustang owners are experiencing these issues. If you are having issues with your tune then you need to carefully and thoroughly complete updating the software and firmware of your SCT device and PC. You should also store a copy of your factory tune on your pc, I even emailed a copy of the file to myself to safeguard from hard drive failure. The updates are not rocket science or brain surgery, but it can be extremely time consuming and frustrating to say the least. Best of luck guys, The one time I contacts SCT I was impressed with the level of service I received, to be completely honest, they exceeded my expectations.

#11 · (Edited)
Unfortunately SCT is not a 24/7 business, it's also unfortunate that Mustang owners are experiencing these issues. If you are having issues with your tune then you need to carefully and thoroughly complete updating the software and firmware of your SCT device and PC. You should also store a copy of your factory tune on your pc, I even emailed a copy of the file to myself to safeguard from hard drive failure. The updates are not rocket science or brain surgery, but it can be extremely time consuming and frustrating to say the least. Best of luck guys, The one time I contacts SCT I was impressed with the level of service I received, to be completely honest, they exceeded my expectations.
I am honestly glad to see a positive posting in there favor, thank you for sharing. I was only sharing my experience which was not and my intention is to make others aware of issues and not go through what I went through yesterday. I really was reluctant to post this, but have respect for all members of this board and appreceate all the useful information that has helped me with my car. There is a lot I left out that was even more ridiculas.

I had 0 issues for over a year with my SCTx3 and many tune updates and changes until I updated there software. I have more than a little experience and formal education in IT support as i was educated and employed in such. The tech that helped me really did not know what he was doing and at the very least should have disclaimed there could be issues, because I did ask and was told he was only resetting the tuner and there was no cause for alarm until the recovery file locked my ECU and pretty much blames Ford and at 6:03 pm says have your car towed as only a Ford dealer can fix it, its Fords fault/problem have a nice weekend.

I sincerely hope this is not SCT standard and my experience is not indicative to there commitent to thier customers, unfortunantly for me I did not experience it.

#9 ·
As much as I hate seeing these threads, OP I appreciate you posting up. Im getting ready to order my tune and the deals are awesome with Boss intake/CAI/SCT from our vendors, and the cam tune..that would be cool for our local Wendys wednesday cruise in. But Im kind of gettin alligator arms with this stuff and certainly dont want to be the crash test dummy for the Diablosport. I cant find one friggin inTune user thread. Decisions, decisions... :mesad:

#13 ·
I updated both if mine without problems. Some who had problems had really old software missing jpdates as they come out. Yes it wipes any tunes saved in it thats why you need to save them on your computer. Friend had his lock up SCT fixed it over the internet with no problems but his girmeare was 2 updates out if date. Been glad they're fixing it all tuners has had issues at one point in time

#14 ·
I've got the Diablosport Intune sitting in my garage ready to go. But man, it's hard pulling the trigger and just going for it. On their forums they seem to help out pretty quickly.Think I'm going to do it tonight.

#15 ·
cool! you wanna start a thread? I have the predator in my truck and its been bullet proof! Im willing to try the intune.. from what Im told is that you plug it into the obd11 and it will prompt you what you need, then you plug it into your computor and it will automatically download their software and will download the update you need. We should really start a different thread..sorry for the rant

#16 ·
I have a 2012 Gt and just ordered tunes for her using my old sct. I hadpreviously tuned my 2010 v6 I had issues with the update as I had a power blink in the middle go figure! I called sct they remoted in and fixed it no problem. I was impressed they fixed it and I was able to load my tune. I wouldnt hesitate to use them. Just make sure everything updates correctly...

Daniel

G
#17 ·
The very first time I loaded a tune on my car it was also on a Friday evening and the tuner bricked my car. I was lucky in that an SCT rep happened to see my post here and by 10pm I was running again. It hasn't happened since and I kind of thought SCT worked out all the issues. This latest update has me really worried so I'm not updating my device again until someone can really reassure me that it's safe to do so.

#19 ·
I just completed the process Today and it went pretty damn smooth for me. I did call tech support when the updater upgrade bombed 50% into it so I had to gp into add/remove programs and delete the updater software, re-installed it and hooked up my SCT and upgraded the firmware which takes a good 10/15 minutes.

I was pleased with how smooth this one went, basically it went how it's supposed to go. I've also Loaded up a couple different tunes with no issue, matter of fact it seems like the tunes are loading faster.

So I'm 1 for 1 with firmware upgrades now.

#20 ·
UPDATE:
I sent the original SCT tech a email requesting he follow up with me or have a supervisor contact me. I also contacted customer service via the SCT website requesting someone call me. I did not call as I did not have the time to wait on hold. Have not heard back from SCT .:nono:

I did hear from AM/Bama, thankyou! I wish it was there doing because I am sure it would have been resolved last Friday.
BUT it is not the fault from the tune.

It was the software on SCT's part. No way I am going to hook up the SCTx3 tuner to my car again unless they gaurantee that it will not lock my ECU and if they can't they should offer me a refund!

#21 ·
I am reposting this in 2011 talk after responding to a similar thread in 2011 gt tech. I am simply sharing my experience I had with their product and customer service (or lack of). SCT has some SERIOUS problems with there software updating! I had been having trouble updating mine despite doing exactly as directed. When I called their CS they bricked my ECU with their recovery file! My car was running fine prior, I was just trying to get the software properly updated with their support and made the mistake of thinkingthey knew what they were doing.

Mind you I was apprehensive doing this on a Friday, but it was 2pm and figured it was just a software update. Long story short ay 6:03pm they bricked my ECU and told me I had to have it towed to Ford to be reset!!! When I asked if disconnecting negative terminal might reset the ecu, I was told nope only a Ford dealership could unlock it, Seriously! When I asked were they really going to leave me stuck after bricking my ECU, they blamed it on Ford and that its a "Mustang Issue" I quote. So he basically told me that the SCTx3 does not work properly with a Mustang.

Well thankfully he was wrong and yes I was able to reset the ECU by disconnecting the - battery terminal for 30 mins and reload my stock file. Despite being told that once my ECU was unlocked my tuner would be fine after updating software, which I did, my SCT x3 is bricked saying "improper firmware" contact SCT support, nice.

SCT x3 owners beware of the following:

As stated earlier unless you have to, do not update the SCT software unless you have no other choice!I had no issues until I downloaded their SCT software-supporting device.

Secondly, make sure you have returned to stock before updating (which I had)

Thirdly, if you have any software glitches such as not completing software update do not attempt to change your tune! (Which I didn’t but SCT bricked my ECU anyway)

Fourthly, do not call them on Friday, even if you call them early because they leave at 6:01 pm and could careless if your stuck like Chuck! Also plan on a long wait to actually speak to a tech (45 minutes or more) and a long process to resolve software issues.

Fifthly, apparently SCT knows there are some serious problems and the tech told me they would soon be updating the "crappy" software. His words not mine.

Sixthly, It is very sad that AM/Bama is teamed with SCT product because their product and service is exemplary.

Sorry lengthy rant, but I have been seeing a number of SCT issues on this board, particularly regarding software updating. I would hate to see (even the Jack Ass that left me bricked) anyone be stuck with a bricked ECU like I was yesterday thanks to SCT product and CS.

Peace
Watchdogg,

I'm sorry about the problems that you're having with your SCT tuner. The issues with SCT devices are pretty far and few. There's been a few more lately than normal, but we send out thousands of tunes each month and most of our customers load them up right away and are ready to go! I'm sorry that it happened to be you that fell in the small percentage of issues.

Occasionally there are errors, but SCT and the Bama team will work hard to get you back on the road and enjoying your custom tunes! We've been talking with SCT for the last few weeks to get this updated firmware out there. The problems that we were seeing with back-to-stock failures are still very far and few. We've been manually updating our tuners before they ship to the newest 1.2.142 firmware, so that customers don't have to worry. SCT is confident that it's solved, and we've been testing the new firmware on our own fleet of Mustangs just to make sure!

I wish there was more I could do to help, however SCT has to fix this software issue. I really hope that SCT gets you taken care of immediately. Let me know if there's anything I can do to help.

- Dan

#26 ·
Watchdogg,

I'm sorry about the problems that you're having with your SCT tuner. The issues with SCT devices are pretty far and few. There's been a few more lately than normal, but we send out thousands of tunes each month and most of our customers load them up right away and are ready to go! I'm sorry that it happened to be you that fell in the small percentage of issues.

Occasionally there are errors, but SCT and the Bama team will work hard to get you back on the road and enjoying your custom tunes! We've been talking with SCT for the last few weeks to get this updated firmware out there. The problems that we were seeing with back-to-stock failures are still very far and few. We've been manually updating our tuners before they ship to the newest 1.2.142 firmware, so that customers don't have to worry. SCT is confident that it's solved, and we've been testing the new firmware on our own fleet of Mustangs just to make sure!

I wish there was more I could do to help, however SCT has to fix this software issue. I really hope that SCT gets you taken care of immediately. Let me know if there's anything I can do to help.

- Dan

My issue isnt that I had a problem with or updating the tuner, or that I had to spend 4 hours unsuccessfully updating it. What really got my goat is after there recovery file locked my ECU I was told, "well your going to have to get your car towed to the dealership, only they can unlock it" . This is a Ford issue particularly Mustangs, inferring it was there (Fords) fault and why I was culpable for towing it to the dealership and paying them to reflash my ECU, really?

Fortunantly for me this wasn't true and I was able to reset my ecu by disconnecting the negative battery terminal and reload my stock tune, there after my tuner was locked do to errors with firmware. I think most here would be pretty upset in the same.As stated previous I hope this is not indicative to SCT's customer service and just a bad cs experience.

Again thank you for following up. I was contacted by the original Tech and they are having my tuner "fixed". My goal is not to tarnish SCTs reputation, only share my experience with forum.

#23 ·
I just did all this for a friend yesterday. He wanted to do the update. he has a 07. I told him for what. Cars running fine. He did the update on a slow laptop that lost all his tunes. His stock tune was not working right. Light was on car running like crap. sct helped me get his scaner working. He emailed me his tune from bama who sent him new tunes. And we got it all fixed up. I called evo where i got my tunes and was told no need for the update for my 11. Update seemes to be for 12 & 13s. Sct told me the update is more for the trucks dataloging.

G
#24 ·
I think the biggest variable in many of these cases is probably in the end-user's computer. There could be all kinds of things interfering with the updates from anti-virus software, outdated drivers or even user error or a bad cable. I recently had to disable my anti-virus to flash an update to my phone because ROM flashing utilities can be seen as malware by some anti-virus apps. Basically it's hard to troubleshoot an issue like this if one of the biggest variables (end user's comp) isn't under your control.
Hope the people with issues get them worked out.

#25 ·
I just got my SCT X3 tuner today from BAMA and all was good as i have tried the preformance and street tune but dumb me gave them the wrong octane levels for preformance and race tune so i have to get that fixed.. it would catch 2nd somewhat stock but the car now will bark the hell out of 2nd pretty good (auto) on 87 octane..

#27 ·
Hey guys, I know I have posted this on other threads on this forum already, but I'm sorry to hear that you are experiencing these issues with the devices, we are working hard to make sure you are all taken care of. This last update has had us quite busy and we are trying to get to those who have ran across issues. If you are still running into issues email me at jesse@sctflash.com and I can make sure one of our techs get in contact with you to help you.

We (SCT) have an active support team available 9am-6pm EST. Mon.-Fri. You may contact us via email (support@sctflash.com), by phone or via chat.

Let AM or SCT know if you continue to experience problems with your programmer, We will make sure you are taken care of.

#28 ·
I've had my SCT two years. I always use a USB port on the rear of the computer,never the ones on the front.For some reason this makes the download go much faster.Today I loaded firmware 1.2.142 and everything went smooth,and it didn't erase my tunes. The update only took a few minutes,then I replaced my stock tune to a 93R.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.