Gap between Plastic and Leather seat - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-10-2012 Thread Starter
Rookie

Gap between Plastic and Leather seat

Hello all, long time lurker first time poster.
I have a 2011 (v6) Mustang (premium).
The seat would not go down so I took it to the dealership where they ordered and replaced the seat track, seems to be a somewhat common problem, covered under warranty.

When I got home I noticed there was a gap in-between the plastic and the leather, I'm guessing some foam was removed/lost? Anyone else notice this happen? I know ultimately I can take it back to the dealer, but I don't want to be a problem....

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	seat.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	389.5 KB
ID:	163509  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-10-2012
Banned
V6 Member
5.0L Member

Send a message via AIM to tormenting5.0 Send a message via Yahoo to tormenting5.0
I would make them fix that. Your car should always be returned to you the way they got it. Not acceptable in my opinion. Never leave the dealer after service, until your happy with the work.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-10-2012 Thread Starter
Rookie

I wish I had noticed it when I got there, but it was a bit dark and I was more concerned with "does the seat move now?". I'll see what they say...

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-11-2012
GT Member

Yeah, that's BS. Open the door of any other Mustang on the lot. The seats won't look like that. Make'em fix it!

2014 Mustang GT/CS - Coupe
Sterling Gray
Manual Trans
Glass Roof
Navigation
Comfort
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-11-2012
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Probably just a minor adjustment, but I'd ask them to finesse it a bit for you. You're not being picky, it's a new car. Plus they have to know by now we Mustang folk like our cars to be jussssst right.

Scott | 2012 GT Premium Coupe Performance White 6R80 HID 64M Wheels Ford All-Weather Pony Mats & Trunk Liner GT500/GT Rear Mud Flap Set Ohio's Horses License Plate Raxiom Aero Tails

If you love your dog, get a microchip, they really work! My lost dog was back home in just under 24 hours thanks to the good citizens who called the county and the microchip that told animal control exactly where he lived.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-11-2012 Thread Starter
Rookie

Dropped it by today and talked to the tech who installed the new seat rack (or track?), he claims he never had to remove the side piece when he installed the new part, which I can see you don't have to disassemble the seat to replace it, but in pulling back the leather there is clearly a piece of foam missing, you can see the glue where it was and remains of the foam that stuck to it. They said to give a few weeks to "settle back in" and if it doesn't, to bring it back and then they'll have an upholstery shop look at it and replace if necessary. I can guarantee it's not going to magically fix itself and I'm not going to worry about it, if anything I'll visit an upholstery shop and buy a little strip of foam and fix it myself.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-11-2012
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by beechbum View Post
Dropped it by today and talked to the tech who installed the new seat rack (or track?), he claims he never had to remove the side piece when he installed the new part, which I can see you don't have to disassemble the seat to replace it, but in pulling back the leather there is clearly a piece of foam missing, you can see the glue where it was and remains of the foam that stuck to it. They said to give a few weeks to "settle back in" and if it doesn't, to bring it back and then they'll have an upholstery shop look at it and replace if necessary. I can guarantee it's not going to magically fix itself and I'm not going to worry about it, if anything I'll visit an upholstery shop and buy a little strip of foam and fix it myself.
That's unacceptable in my opinion. They say they didn't touch that part when they fixed it and yet, the seat is separated. You gave it to them fine and they gave it back messed up. I'd would be starting a lot of trouble with them. In fact, I'm not a huge fan of my dealer after they tried to dismiss my check engine light at 300 miles because of a CAI I installed. I got into a fight with them and left. Sure enough, I put the old one back on to prove a point and after a few days, the light went back on and they changed their entire attitude.

2012 Mustang GT Premium Convertible Ebony, Charcoal Leather, HID, 19" Machined Rims, Shaker 500, Comfort Package, Remote Start, Rear Sensing Package, GT/CS Valance, Hushpower AB, Pedestal Spoiler, Hood Scoop, Side Scoops, BOSS 302 Side Exhaust, Roush CAI, Custom '5.0' faux gas cap Delivered: 9-19-2011

2002 Mustang GT Convertible True Blue Metallic Traded In: 9-19-11 I'll miss her :-(

DD: 2013 Taurus LTD Ingot Silver, 302A Spec, Moonroof, Navigation, 20" Wheels
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-08-2014
Apprentice

Resurrecting this.
Did it ever get resolved?

I stepped into my car and nailed that piece of plastic, actually the switch that adjusts the lumbar support, and now my switch is busted and my plastic hangs like that.
There is a piece of plastic that holds the piece in place, tight to the seat. You should be able to push it back in. Mine has snapped off, so I need to get a new side piece, as well as a new switch.

Anyone know the best place to get these parts?
Thanks,

Bobby

2011 Pony Package, Auto, 2.73, Sterling Gray/Stone
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-08-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

It was never resolved. I talked to the dealer again and they wanted to send me to a local upholstery shop for them to resolve it, ultimately I ended up trading the car in.
The plastic clip was still in place, it was some foam in the seat that was missing, I found pieces of it after they replaced the seat track.
Apprentice

Quote:
It was never resolved. I talked to the dealer again and they wanted to send me to a local upholstery shop for them to resolve it, ultimately I ended up trading the car in.
The plastic clip was still in place, it was some foam in the seat that was missing, I found pieces of it after they replaced the seat track.

Oh, bummer. Guess it doesn't matter much now though!
What did you get?

2011 Pony Package, Auto, 2.73, Sterling Gray/Stone
Apprentice

Quote:
Anddddd this is why I've learned to go over any car I take to a dealership\service center.....were they going to PAY for that repair at the place they recommended?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page