2013 Mustang GTmanual dyno done today - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-22-2012
old_goat

2013 Mustang GTmanual dyno done today

160 miles on the odometer. Dynojet dyno located near Houston, Texas.

I'm well pleased for 377 rwhp, but IMHO the quarter mile time is more important. I don't know if this is true or not, but the guy at the dyno shop told me that 377 rwhp calculates to around 435 (+-5) at the engine.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-22-2012
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Where'd you go in Houston? Nice numbers!

post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-22-2012
Apprentice

Wow, that was today. Just think how much better it will get as the weather cools off more!

2013 Ford GT Premium - Deep Impact Blue
Ordered 8/18. Stickered 10/2. Built 10/9. ETA & Delivered 10/23!!!

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-22-2012
old_goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0 Stallion View Post
Where'd you go in Houston? Nice numbers!
G-Force Motorsports |

G Force is pretty big and highly respected in the GM LSX world, but they also do work on Mustangs. I really don't know who the 'go to' guys are in the Mustang world near Houston, but I trust these guys.

Using 15% loss for the manual drive train (general rule of thumb), this calculates out to being 444 horsepower to the engine. 444 x .15 = 66.6____444 - 66.6 = 377.4 RWHP. Freaking hard to believe if you ask me.

Located a bit south of Pearland off Hwy 35, south of Dixie Farm Rd.

Here is a pic of the dyno, and no, this isn't my car.

post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-22-2012
Apprentice

Garage
I think that 15% is a bit high. From what I've seen, drive line loss in this car is closer to 10-12% in a manual, and up to 15% or so for the autos.

2011 GT Prem - 400a, Brembo Pkg, 3.55s, 6spd
OLD 405rwhp/381rwtq - 12.71 @ 113.13mph, 2.099 60' on stock tires (DA corrected 12.3 @ 116mph)
Mods: Boss 302 bottom end, JPC Stage 1 heads, Boss 302 Manifold/Oil Cooler/Front Fascia/Rear Diffuser, Mishimoto Radiator, Spec Clutch/Flywheel, Airaid CAI, JBA Long Tubes, Pypes Super System, Eibach Pro-Kit, UMI LCA/Relo Brackets/Panhard Bar, GT500 wheels/Nitto NT555 (255/45 F, 285/40 R), Barton Shifter/Bracket, SGII /w blendmount, V1
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-22-2012
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehMoose View Post
I think that 15% is a bit high. From what I've seen, drive line loss in this car is closer to 10-12% in a manual, and up to 15% or so for the autos.
I agree, the S197 has less driveline loss than previous models; I think 12% loss is a good working number.

2011 GT Premium Brembo ("Spirit"), Kona/red, 1.5" drop, Goodridge SS brake lines, 3.73's, LPW Ultra diff cover, HID, JLT oil catch can, FRPP ProCal II w. Airaid, FRPP X-pipe, Roush axlebacks, Boss LS tranny cooler, Boss oil cooler, Boss radiator, Torsen T2-R; FRPP "K" springs, struts, shocks, mounts, anti-rollbars, upper strut brace, poly bushings; Barton shifter/MkII bracket, CG-Lock, Grabber knob, silver Forgestar CF5 19x9 35mm offset, AE aluminum driveshaft
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-22-2012
old_goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st RoadRage View Post
I agree, the S197 has less driveline loss than previous models; I think 12% loss is a good working number.
I was just using a figure I saw on the internet from another Mustang forums.

Even at 12%, that puts me right at 429 hp, and I'll take that. That 444 hp figure seemed WAY too much and to be honest was unbelievable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MnemonicGhost View Post
Wow, that was today. Just think how much better it will get as the weather cools off more!
I know well what a negative DA does at the track and if it has the same basic effect at the dyno, then my rwhp will go up some. The temp today on the dyno sheet was 96.5 degrees. I wonder what it would dyno on a 50 degree day.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-22-2012
GT Member
V6 Member

Send a message via AIM to ESG-642T
did they tune, or just dyno?

- 2002 V6 Mustang Daily
- 86 Buick "Nope its a monte calro"
FS: 94-04 heads, cams, ported intakes.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-22-2012
old_goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESG-642T View Post
did they tune, or just dyno?
I went by there to price the a new shifter and the cost of the install for it. They like the Steeda, but from what I've read here, the MGW gets the most love.

The dyno wasn't being used so he offered me 50 bucks for a 3 pulls. The second one went down about 5 rwhp from the first due to heat soak, as we didn't do the third pull.
Apprentice

Garage
I also just noticed that the correction factor (CF) is STD, not SAE. STD always reads higher then STD (they use a different formula for correction). SAE is the more widely 'accepted' number, knowing STD reads higher.

See my dynos below. Same graph, one using CF: SAE, the other with STD.

SAE - 404.65rwhp

STD - 412.69rwhp.

So now to apply that to your dyno. SAE reads about 2% lower then STD. 2% lower on your dyno, will put your power at 369.46rwhp. Take that, add 12% drive loss, and you are sitting at 413.8bhp. Almost dead on with what it should be.

OLD 405rwhp/381rwtq - 12.71 @ 113.13mph, 2.099 60' on stock tires (DA corrected 12.3 @ 116mph)
Mods: Boss 302 bottom end, JPC Stage 1 heads, Boss 302 Manifold/Oil Cooler/Front Fascia/Rear Diffuser, Mishimoto Radiator, Spec Clutch/Flywheel, Airaid CAI, JBA Long Tubes, Pypes Super System, Eibach Pro-Kit, UMI LCA/Relo Brackets/Panhard Bar, GT500 wheels/Nitto NT555 (255/45 F, 285/40 R), Barton Shifter/Bracket, SGII /w blendmount, V1
old_goat

I was given the chart and was told that STD was the norm. So, this is what I scanned. If this is true, it wasn't my intent to deceive. I would rather have quarter mile timeslips vs. dyno runs any day, however like DA effects dyno times, it also effects quarter mile times. None of these quarter mile times or dyno pulls are a complete absolute, but are variables based on environmental conditions and even the dyno themselves. The rwhp should also increase as the engine gets broken in.

I will have to call and find out what the SAE is as I don't have software for these dynojet files. I think the SAE was 370, but I'm not 100% sure.
GT Member

Nice charts. Now I know why I get the best ET's shifting at right around 6500-6700 RPM. The Coyote seems to run out of steam after 6500 or so...

2014 Mustang GT/CS - Coupe
Sterling Gray
Manual Trans
Glass Roof
Navigation
Comfort
Apprentice

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_goat View Post
I was given the chart and was told that STD was the norm. So, this is what I scanned. If this is true, it wasn't my intent to deceive. I would rather have quarter mile timeslips vs. dyno runs any day, however like DA effects dyno times, it also effects quarter mile times. None of these quarter mile times or dyno pulls are a complete absolute, but are variables based on environmental conditions and even the dyno themselves. The rwhp should also increase as the engine gets broken in.

I will have to call and find out what the SAE is as I don't have software for these dynojet files. I think the SAE was 370, but I'm not 100% sure.
Its cool man, nothing wrong with learning new information. SAE will be more 'realistic' vs STD. In the quote below it actually suggests that STD is 4% higher then SAE. Which can be skewed based on the local readings while on the dyno (temp, humidity, BP, etc).

Quote:
SAE: "SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers), USA. Power is corrected to reference conditions of 29.23 InHg (99 kPa) of dry air and 77 F (25C). This SAE standard requires a correction for friction torque.

STD is Another power correction standard determined by the SAE. Power is corrected to reference conditions of 29.92 InHg (103.3 kPa) of dry air and 60 F (15.5C). Because the reference conditions include higher pressure and cooler air than the SAE standard, these corrected power numbers will always be about 4 % higher than the SAE power numbers. Friction torque is handled in the same way as in the SAE standard."

Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_goat View Post
G-Force Motorsports |

G Force is pretty big and highly respected in the GM LSX world, but they also do work on Mustangs. I really don't know who the 'go to' guys are in the Mustang world near Houston, but I trust these guys.

Using 15% loss for the manual drive train (general rule of thumb), this calculates out to being 444 horsepower to the engine. 444 x .15 = 66.6____444 - 66.6 = 377.4 RWHP. Freaking hard to believe if you ask me.

Located a bit south of Pearland off Hwy 35, south of Dixie Farm Rd.

Here is a pic of the dyno, and no, this isn't my car.

Ohh alright. Sweet! Yeah I don't know of many places in Houston for mustangs besides Fastlane.
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Ohh alright. Sweet! Yeah I don't know of many places in Houston for mustangs besides Fastlane.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page