Considering getting a 2013 Mustang GT - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-28-2012 Thread Starter
Rookie

Considering getting a 2013 Mustang GT

So ever since driving a 2011 GT I've been considering picking up a mustang.

I've held off after reading the issues with the MT 82 transmission. Is this still really a concern?

I've also been flip flopping over getting the Brembo kit. For a daily driver, that would probably rarely be tracked, is it worth it? The extra cost replacing 19" tires down the road has me thinking that it may not be worth it.

Also not sure about the 3.73. Does it really hit fuel economy that much?

Anything else I should be aware of moving to a mustang? I've always owned FWD japanese cars. Currently have a 2005 Acura RSX with a supercharger.

Also, any idea on how much room there is to negotiate on price? Right now it looks like about $6k off in Canada with Employee Pricing. The one sales guy said that they could probably go about $500 more then that...I would have thought they'd have more flexability then that?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-28-2012
GT Member

I don't want to be a debbie downer but don't expect Honda reliability. There are numerous possible issues when you purchase a new mustang from the MT82 noise/shifting problems, front lower control arms creaking, paint issues (hood paint bubbling and other various problems), engine tick, etc. In 13 months of ownership I've encountered all these issues except my MT82 has been decent so if you go into it thinking it won't happen to you you will likely be disappointed.

That said there is a lot to like about these cars outside of some of the issues. The car feels solid and is fun to cruise around with especially if you have one with the Brembo package. Fuel mileage sucks period regardless of how you drive but that's the price for 400+ horsepower.

I would drive a Brembo equipped car and a regular GT back to back to see what you prefer. There's a big difference and coming from an RSX you may not like the floaty ride that comes with the regular GT suspension.

post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-28-2012
MACH I Member
S197 Member

Someone else asked if the trans issue has been fixed, seem like to the most past. They also said that you only hear about the bad ones, not the thousands with no problems. I could see no use for me with the big brakes so I went with the Roush Sport (slotted) ones. Don't think the difference in gearing is going to have much effect on mileage, I just don't like the total gear range, first gear just gets me across the intersection.
Dave

2015 Stage 3 Roush
'66' Ranchero w/almost done 302 T-5 swap
2000 4x4 Ranger
2003 4x2 Ranger
'69' Fairlane Cobra, 428 4-speed waiting for work

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-28-2012
replica

I remember my 2008 Civic Si popping out of third gear a few times. All cars have their issues. Never know how a car will act when you take it home. Just part of the reality of car ownership.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-28-2012
MACH I Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD View Post
I would drive a Brembo equipped car and a regular GT back to back to see what you prefer. There's a big difference and coming from an RSX you may not like the floaty ride that comes with the regular GT suspension.
I slightly disagree. There are six of us, in my little circle, here and four of them are brembos. The suspension is not that much better between the brembo and regular GT IMO. While the brembo package does offer a slight advantage, both are extremely "floaty." It's my opinion that it's a driver's race in the twisties. In fact, all six of us have completely replaced springs/struts/shocks (and a myriad of other components) to get rid of the body roll, brake dive, and haunch squat.

Having said that, there's no question that the brembos are better at what they do...braking.

2012 Ingot GT Premium / 401a / Reverse Sensing & Security / 3.73 Rear

Mods: CS Fascia w/Fogs / Saleen Grille / Flowmaster Hushpower AB / Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks / Steeda Sport Springs / Steeda HD Upper Mounts / BMR Adjustable Panhard / TPS Slotted Rotors / Hawk Pads / JLT Catch Can / Barton Shifter / Barton 2-Post Bracket / Airaid CAI / Rockers painted to match / HID Retrofit / Bama Baby!
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-28-2012
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

All cars have their issues. Even Honda has problems. The k20 trans found in the RSX-s and the 2006+ Civic SI's has plebty of issues itself. I owned a 2004 rsx-s before my mustang. The one in my rsx was notchy at best and refused 2nd gear redline shifts. You win some and lose some. My mustang trans seems ok so far with the exception of a notchy 2nd gear when it is cold. It goes away and shifts like butter when it is warmed up.

2013 Mustang GT Base ll Sterling Grey ll Mt-82 ll Track Package ll Ordered 5/21/12 ll Vin 6/22/12 ll Build date 7/16/12 ll ETA 7/21/12 ll ETA#2- 7/27/12 ll Delivered 7/24/2012
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-28-2012
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by YerBuddysPony View Post
I slightly disagree. There are six of us, in my little circle, here and four of them are brembos. The suspension is not that much better between the brembo and regular GT IMO. While the brembo package does offer a slight advantage, both are extremely "floaty." It's my opinion that it's a driver's race in the twisties. In fact, all six of us have completely replaced springs/struts/shocks (and a myriad of other components) to get rid of the body roll, brake dive, and haunch squat.

Having said that, there's no question that the brembos are better at what they do...braking.

Funny because I was the opposite. I felt a lot more planted with the Brembo car vs a standard GT. Buuuuuuuut yeah, my suspention is going to eventually be scrapped. :hihi:
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-28-2012
Apprentice

It is a great car if you get the auto.

2013 TRACK PACK
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-28-2012
GT Member

Nothing to be worried about , all these issues people complain about happen to a very small percentage of mustang owners as compared to what's sold. My transmission has been great the only thing I would suggest is getting a steeda or barton shifter bracket right away , shifter is optional you don't need one but why not. If you're buying it based on using it for a daily driver or weekend toy to rat around in then there's no need to worry about he suspension its fine and car is the best riding mustang they have produced to date. If I were you I would just go test drive a couple with the options you desire and make your choice there. If you ask here then your tranny is gonna fall out , your rear end will rattle apart from wheel hop and you will blow your engine by putting in a k&n drop in filter. I would assume since its in the third model year ford has worked out a lot of the kinks .....good luck

Blower and stuff

622 whp and 545 wtq @ 8.5psi
AED Tune = Best mod of all
Rookie

Well all i can tell you is ive have my 2012 for 6 months and have been fighting ford over mt-82 issues for a month already.... all cars do have issues but right now im extremely wary of this trans long term. If you were my buddy i would tell you to stay away for now. also for what its worth if i had to do it all over again i would absolutley go in a different direction... at least those are my feelings as of now.
Rookie

The 3.73 may reduce the MPG a bit, but honestly not enough to notice. You're already drivng a 5.0 V8, so you're not going to be impressed with the mileage.
The Brembo package includes summer tires, so that may be something to consider. Being in Canada I'm sure you're aware of winter/summer tire pros and cons. I'd keep the summer tires on for max grip and change to winter tires, or store the car for the winter. Not sure of your situation. Both of those options require more money to be spent on extra tires/wheels or a winter beater. Or you could stick with a set of "no-seasons".
The 19 wheels will increase the stiffness of the ride and are more prone to bending when hitting pot holes. Of course, they look great!
The brake package can be fun for you even on the street. Do you plan to do some back road running once in awhile?
Just some things to consider.

13 Ford Mustang GT Track Pack 6MT (my DD)
06 BMW Z4M Roadster (weekends)
97 BMW M3 (Race Car)
99 BMW Z3M Coupe (back-up race car)
85 BMW M635CSI (Show)
10 Subaru Outback 3.6 (wifeys DD)
08 Chevy Duramax 4WD (tow)
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-28-2012 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD View Post
I don't want to be a debbie downer but don't expect Honda reliability. There are numerous possible issues when you purchase a new mustang from the MT82 noise/shifting problems, front lower control arms creaking, paint issues (hood paint bubbling and other various problems), engine tick, etc. In 13 months of ownership I've encountered all these issues except my MT82 has been decent so if you go into it thinking it won't happen to you you will likely be disappointed.

That said there is a lot to like about these cars outside of some of the issues. The car feels solid and is fun to cruise around with especially if you have one with the Brembo package. Fuel mileage sucks period regardless of how you drive but that's the price for 400+ horsepower.

Interesting. I was prepared for slightly lower reliablity, but didn't really think there would be such a long list of issues
Grimace427

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoishomer View Post
Interesting. I was prepared for slightly lower reliablity, but didn't really think there would be such a long list of issues

You went on an internet forum asking for problems with the car. This is the place where people complain about their problems. Not exactly the perfect picture of everyday ownership of the vehicle.
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-28-2012 Thread Starter
Rookie

True enough!
So chances are there might be a couple minor things, but no real 'deal breakers'?
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoishomer View Post
True enough!
So chances are there might be a couple minor things, but no real 'deal breakers'?
Exactly some people over exaggerate and some don't. I'm sure you will be happy with your purchase if you do so

Blower and stuff

622 whp and 545 wtq @ 8.5psi
AED Tune = Best mod of all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page