Ford Mustang Forum banner

Do aftermarket wheels need centering rings for the '13's?

6K views 23 replies 5 participants last post by  michaelahess 
#1 ·
I'm looking at getting Motegi Racing MR120's in 18" with some Dunlop Graspic DS-3's. Tirerack shows that they come with centering rings, but buying from them will cost about $280 more than another spot I found. Do the GT/CS stock wheels already have rings that can be reused for aftermarkets?

G
#2 ·
The factory Mustang wheelhubs measure 70.5mm and do not come with hubcentric rings. Most aftermarket wheels intended to be mounted on the Mustang(RTR, AMR, GT500, FR500, so on) all come ready to mount up. If you are shopping for random wheels you need to factory in the wheel center bore to match to the factory hub bore or proper hubcentric rings.

#3 ·
#5 ·
Thanks for that, I think I've got it now. Any real reason to get metal vs poly-carbonate? These will just be used for around town winter driving.

G
#6 ·
My Racestar drag wheels came with plastic rings so I think those would be fine. They don't support any weight, simply align the wheels when you torque down the lug nuts. Whichever you choose use a dab of anti-sieze on the inside and outside of the rings.

Which size wheels(and offsets) and tires are you looking that? Also something to consider is caliper clearance. That is not easily found without either trying them yourself or finding someone who has.

#9 ·
Tires: 235/50/R18. Looking at Dunlop Graspic DS-3 and Pirelli Winter Sottozero's, not sure yet, still pricing around.

Wheel will be the 18x8.5, 5x4.5 OS:45mm BS: 6.52in - Satin Black

#10 ·
Great looking wheels! I'm getting the MR120 (silver) in the 20x9, 20x10.5 when then come out. Hopefully mid Nov. Post up some pics!

#12 ·
I'm not putting in TPMS sensors, that won't cause any issues other than the light staying on I assume?

I did find a set of 4 OEM ones on eBay for $80, but don't really see a need for them if they won't cause an issue not being there. I check tire pressure very regularly in the winter on all my vehicles.

#13 ·
Having no sensors does nothing to the car except like you said the light stays on.

#14 ·
Wheels showed up, they look awesome. Waiting on the tires and hubcentric rings. I'm going to mount them myself them get them balanced to save some cash.

One thing I notices when I test fitted the wheel. One of the studs has a lock washer looking thing on it, the other studs don't, do I need to remove that when I put these one? Why is it there?

Also, the lug nuts from the original wheels are too big, I can't get a tire iron on them when on the new wheel. Do they make skinny tire iron's or do I need to get a set of skinnier lug nuts?

#15 ·
I would think you would need different lug nuts. They should have them where you bought the wheels.

#16 ·
That would be online at 4wheelonline.com

Guess I'll check oreileys and Napa. Suppose center keyed ones with one of those lug adapters should work.

#18 ·
My brother-in-law has a tire mounting machine but not a balancer.

What are these retaining clips? Something on the rotor itself or the thing I described?

Could I sound anymore noobish? :)

#20 ·
Did the center bore change at all from the 05-09 to the '13? I found a set of gt takeoffs (08, I believe) that I want to put on my 13 V6

#22 ·
Got the tires mounted at Walmart, brother-in-law dropped a pole on his head and got stitches, didn't feel like making him work. :)

Cost all of $52 (lifetime balance and rotate), cheapest local tire place was $80. I struck up a convo with the kids working there, related to them a bit, and they did a wonderful job, loved the wheels and were hesitant to return them! ;)

Waiting on the adapters and haven't found the lugs I want yet, was thinking these would look good, being black and all:

Lug Nuts Tuner 1/2" 20 Pcs Lugs Nut Ford Mustang Black | eBay

Any advice on getting that retaining clip off? Just unscrew the things with pliers or destroy them with snips? They don't have to go back on with the factory wheels do they?

#24 ·
Done!

Got them on now that it's snowing here. Had to order different lugs, the first set I linked to were too short. Ended up with:

Black Spline Drive Tuner Small Diameter Wheel Lug Nuts 1 2 20 Qty 20 | eBay

Here's a before/after pic and the final one with the caps on:

I think they look great, at night it's down right evil looking!

The wife wants to get pony caps, anyone have any ideas on that? Going to start searching.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.