2013+ Shelby Daily and Winter Driver? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-13-2012 Thread Starter
MACH I Member

2013+ Shelby Daily and Winter Driver?

I was thinking of upgrading to a 2013 (or 14) Shelby. However, I would be driving the car year round here in Southern Ontario on a daily basis and I'm not convinced this is the best idea. What does everyone think?

Present: 2012 Mustang GT/CS - Race red - Electronics package - Security package - 3.73 - Steeda shift knob - Steeda shift bracket - ProCal II Tune - GT500 ABs - Shaftmasters DS - Boss 302S Wheels - Build date: February 14th, 2012

Past: 2011 Mustang V6 - Pony Package Premium Coupe - Black - Charcoal Leather - Roush Front Fascia - Matte Black Lemans and Hockey Stick Hood Stripes - 6% HP Charcoal Tint - 3.31
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-13-2012
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I will store my 13 gt in the winter I'm also from Windsor ON ..I don't trust winters here

2013 GT, Borla S-type cat back, Eibach Pro-kit springs, Forgestar F14
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-13-2012 Thread Starter
MACH I Member

I haven't had much trouble the past two winters with my 2011 V6; just slapped 4 winter tires on it and it was fine. Obviously the Shelby is a totally different animal though. Can you even buy winter tires of sufficient size and width? I have no idea.

Present: 2012 Mustang GT/CS - Race red - Electronics package - Security package - 3.73 - Steeda shift knob - Steeda shift bracket - ProCal II Tune - GT500 ABs - Shaftmasters DS - Boss 302S Wheels - Build date: February 14th, 2012

Past: 2011 Mustang V6 - Pony Package Premium Coupe - Black - Charcoal Leather - Roush Front Fascia - Matte Black Lemans and Hockey Stick Hood Stripes - 6% HP Charcoal Tint - 3.31

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-13-2012
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

IMO I wouldn't drive in the winters with a Shelby but that's just me I have another car I can use during that time so it all depends on your situation

2013 GT, Borla S-type cat back, Eibach Pro-kit springs, Forgestar F14
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-13-2012
PONY Member

A friend of mine just bought a 12 Shelby GT500 and took me for a ride. This car is an animal. Sorry, but I would never think about winter driving a valuable high powered car in your part of the world. I owned a '67 GT390 and had to drive it in the winter. Downright dangerous with any snow or black ice. Get a banger for the winter if you can.
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-13-2012
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewr87 View Post
Can you even buy winter tires of sufficient size and width? I have no idea.
Size is no problem but only one has a "Z" speed rating, above 149 MPH.

Pirelli Winter Sottozero Serie II

Now really who is going to take a $70,000, markup-tax-title, car out in the snow? With traction and stability control it can be done but why? Subarus will blow your doors off and old ladies will give you the finger for blocking them on a hill.

I see it every first snow fall, some guy with rear wheel drive, summer tires ann 400 HP that can't get up a speed bump.

2009 Mustang GT Deluxe, fake hood scoop, Ford Racing Bullitt cold air intake and tune, Hurst billet competition plus shifter.

post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-13-2012 Thread Starter
MACH I Member

I do have a feeling that it is a bad idea. Its just that winter driving with my V6 is quite good actually. But like I said before, obviously the Shelby is a different animal. Just wanted to see what the community thought.

The climate here is one of the reasons I am on the fence about the upgrade. I'm not sure how I feel about having a winter beater. I was thinking about the GT-R too (since it has AWD), but I prefer the Shelby.

I'll just have to wait and see I guess. May end up in California in a couple of years anyway.

post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-13-2012
PONY Member

There is no reason why you would be in worse shape in the Shelby in the winter than your V6 assuming equivalent tires. You just have to be verrrry careful with the throttle. And the Shelby may be lower from the factory, which could be a little more problematic in real snow.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

2012 GT Premium - 401A - 6MT - 3.73s - Steeda CAI and Tune - Steeda Q-Series Hood - Forgestar CF5s - SVT Brembo Brakes - BOSS Brake Ducts - MGW Shifter - GT500 Axlebacks - BOSS Side Exit Exhuast - Eibach Prokit Springs - Adjustable Panhard Bar - BOSS Strut Tower Brace
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-13-2012
PONY Member

I would vote against it for the winters we get here in London as much as I'd like to see a new Shelby roaring around the streets. I drove my V6 last winter and as you said it wasn't bad with snow tires on. The traction control kicked in too often for my liking though, so I usually turned it off. I'd assume the Shelby would be controllable as long as you took the similar approach of having snow tires and patient with the throttle. My main concern would be the amount of salt and sand that the city throws on our roads. That's the main reason I'm looking for a winter ride.

2012 MCA V6, Kona Blue, Stone Leather, HIDs, Performance Pack, Reverse Sensing, Interior Upgrade, Comfort Pack, Medium tint, Carbon fiber splash guards, JTL oil separator, Borla ATAK AB exhaust, American Muscle 1/4 window louvers, Hood spear decals, Raxiom rear tail lights, Steeda LCAs, Ford Racing panhard bar

Order: 6/28 VIN: 8/23 WS: 8/30 Build: 9/6 Arrived: 9/20 Pickup: 9/22
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV90 View Post
IMO I wouldn't drive in the winters with a Shelby but that's just me I have another car I can use during that time so it all depends on your situation
Quote:
Originally Posted by SV90 View Post
I will store my 13 gt in the winter I'm also from Windsor ON ..I don't trust winters here
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry390 View Post
A friend of mine just bought a 12 Shelby GT500 and took me for a ride. This car is an animal. Sorry, but I would never think about winter driving a valuable high powered car in your part of the world. I owned a '67 GT390 and had to drive it in the winter. Downright dangerous with any snow or black ice. Get a banger for the winter if you can.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl_the_Pearl View Post
Size is no problem but only one has a "Z" speed rating, above 149 MPH.

Pirelli Winter Sottozero Serie II

Now really who is going to take a $70,000, markup-tax-title, car out in the snow? With traction and stability control it can be done but why? Subarus will blow your doors off and old ladies will give you the finger for blocking them on a hill.

I see it every first snow fall, some guy with rear wheel drive, summer tires ann 400 HP that can't get up a speed bump.
^^ All of these posts are useless.

What OP needs to know is that Shelby is lower than the V6, so I say nay.

-2012 Grabber Blue GT 6M Premium w/ Brembos, Glass Roof, HID security pkg, Rear Camera, 401a, FRPP GT500 Axle-backs, Front Pioneer TS-D6802R speakers, JHR bracket, Bondra clutch extension.
-1986 Mazda RX-7 GX - Fast Mirage 16" Wheels, Sumo Firenza 205/60R Tires, slotted brakes + performance pads. Otherwise factory stock.
-2008 Mazda Mazda3 GT Sport - Stock, 5MT.
-2004 Volvo XC90 T5 - Comfort pkg, safety pkg.
-1995 Infiniti G20 - Sold, Pioneer head unit, lighting mods, miss it dearly.
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elite_Deforce View Post

So 5.73 inches is OK but 5.70 inches in not? If 3/100 of an inch is large to you what are you using to measure with.

2005 Ford Mustang Technical Specifications - Consumer Guide Automotive

2013 Ford Shelby GT500 Specs

2009 Mustang GT Deluxe, fake hood scoop, Ford Racing Bullitt cold air intake and tune, Hurst billet competition plus shifter.

MACH I Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elite_Deforce View Post

I could care less about how much ground clearance I have. That much power on wet/frosted pavement is a really bad thing. Don't care what tires or weight you have in the rear.
Dave

2015 Stage 3 Roush
'66' Ranchero w/almost done 302 T-5 swap
2000 4x4 Ranger
2003 4x2 Ranger
'69' Fairlane Cobra, 428 4-speed waiting for work
PONY Member

Garage
All that power with snow and ice... Not for me plus all the salt used on the roads would seal the deal as a no for me.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

2016 Mustang GT 401a, 6A, Magnetic Metallic, Nav, Shaker Pro, 20" SVE Series 3's, Steeda CAI, Corsa Sports, BMR SP080 Springs, BMR Caster/Camber Plates, JLT Catch Can, Redline Hood Struts.....

2014 Mustang GT 400a, 6M, Recaros, 3.73's, 19" Drifts, electronics/nav., Kooks A/B's, AED Tune /Steeda CAI/BBQ Igniter Tick... SOLD
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Mustang II Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Drive it. You will be dead for a long time. Try to enjoy yourself a little while you are here.

2013 GT CONVERTIBLE GHIG
2015 F-150 King Ranch crew cab

Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole.
Saving one dog will not change the world, but surely for that one dog, the world will change forever.
AFM SITE ADMINISTRATOR

NEVER APOLOGIZE FOR BEING PATRIOTIC!
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
I could care less about how much ground clearance I have. That much power on wet/frosted pavement is a really bad thing. Don't care what tires or weight you have in the rear.
Dave
This is not like Bill Cosby's 200 MPH Ford he gave back to Shelby who's next owner lost it on a curve and went off a cliff into the ocean.

This 200 MPH Ford doesn't let the wheels spin or go sideways unless one makes a big effort to turn off the traction control.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page