Why/How did this happen? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-13-2012 Thread Starter
Rookie

Why/How did this happen?

Before I explain my story and experience, I'm going to warn you guys that you will feel compelled to refer to me as a troll...but I promise you guys that I am not a troll and I'm not here to stir anything up. I'm just concerned.

So anyways, last night I was driving home with a buddy. I was in my 2012 Mustang GT, 6speed manual, brembo brake package, and the 3.73 limited slip rear; he was driving a 2009 Honda Accord Coupe, 4 cylinder, automatic.

He was driving behind me, and I decided just to mess around with him a little. When the light turned green, I shifted to 5k in first, got a lot of wheel hop, went into second until 5k, then third gear till 5k also...by this time I assumed that I would be a pretty good length away from him, but when I looked at my rear view mirror, he was right up there with me, keeping up. I'm sitting there feeling like sh** about myself because I still cant believe how an 09' Accord Coupe is keeping up with me. With me shifting at 5k, I'm making much more hp/tq than the Honda is.

So my question is, should I be concerned?

One another thing is when I'm driving with aggressive traffic, from red to green light accelerations, if I'm shifting at 3k rpm, cars around me seem to well, pull from me. Is it because of the shortened gears from the 3.73?

Please don't bash on me, call me a troll, etc. This was a truely 100% honest question and would love any real input. Thanks guys.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-13-2012
GT Member
V6 Member

Was the guy boosted?

2012 Kona Blue V6 6MT Pony package. 2.73 rear end, comfort package, Charcoal leather interior.

Driving it since 5/09/2011

Mods: Ford Mustang STB, Epco Rally stripe shifter ball, AFE non-oiled Air filter, Airaid mid pipe, GT500 Splash Guards, Ford Racing Rear Sway bar links and bushing kit, BMR rear LCA's, Bilstein monotube shocks, Eibach Pro-kit Springs.
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-13-2012
PONY Member

Shift at a higher point. You get more power closer to 6k. If you are flooring it, you should be up in the 60's before you shift to third. My guess is you weren't truly flooring it, or you are slow to shift and the automatic is shifting faster than you. Remember that even taking an extra second to shift allows for big gains from other cars.

2011 GTCS
Officially too many mods to list...

post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-13-2012 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammergjh View Post
Was the guy boosted?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie2011GT View Post
Shift at a higher point. You get more power closer to 6k. If you are flooring it, you should be up in the 60's before you shift to third. My guess is you weren't truly flooring it, or you are slow to shift and the automatic is shifting faster than you. Remember that even taking an extra second to shift allows for big gains from other cars.
Guys I just want to thank you firstly for not calling me a troll, etc.

He was not boosted hammergjh, 100% stock.

Charlie, I understand what you mean by shifting at a higher point but the point I'm trying to say/figure out is that even at 5k, or even 3k-4k...dyno charts read that I'm making much more power than the hp outputs of a 09 Stock Honda Accord Coupe 4cyl.

My shifts were slow because of a notchy 2nd gear...very tricky for me to get into 2nd quickly and smoothly.
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-13-2012
GT Member

Wheel hop equals loss of traction. 5k shifts mean loss of forward motion compared to 6.5k.

2011 Red Candy /build 2/1/11/ 401A
MT with Redline MTL/ Brembos/355's/glass roof
Shaker 1000/Scoops/Clear bra/Steeda UCA and PH bar
Redline hood lifts/Bilsteins with Ford Racing P springs & axle bks
UPR catch can/whiteline kdt928/MGW shifter with Epco ball
Shaftmasters DS/BMR loop & relocation brackets
Nitto 555 G2's/Steeda jack rails
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-13-2012 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusman59 View Post
Wheel hop equals loss of traction. 5k shifts mean loss of forward motion compared to 6.5k.
Can you explain what you meant by loss of forward motion? Sorry
post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-13-2012
Apprentice

You feel like **** about yourself because a Honda is keeping up with you?

As long as your car isn't broken, I wouldn't worry about it.

2013 Mustang GT - Black - 6MT - Vortech V3, Brembos, GT500/Lethal H, Bilstein HD/Steeda HD/Sports, BMR LCA/PHB, Lund

-------Previously-------
1997 Cobra Vert - Triple Black - lots of mods
1996 GT - Black - some mods
1988 GT - Black - no mods
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-13-2012
GT Member

If you shift sooner you loose forward motion for a short time. Take for example with all things being equal if you have to shift 4 times verses 1 time to achieve the same outcome you would loose a little every time you shifted. When you race an auto you better be quick in your shifts. I think the honda is lighter also. Wheel hop loss of traction slows forward motion when the tire leaves the ground.

2011 Red Candy /build 2/1/11/ 401A
MT with Redline MTL/ Brembos/355's/glass roof
Shaker 1000/Scoops/Clear bra/Steeda UCA and PH bar
Redline hood lifts/Bilsteins with Ford Racing P springs & axle bks
UPR catch can/whiteline kdt928/MGW shifter with Epco ball
Shaftmasters DS/BMR loop & relocation brackets
Nitto 555 G2's/Steeda jack rails
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-13-2012
Apprentice

Is your gas mileage unusually bad? Any driveabily issues? If there are problems there than I would start with that.

Don't take this the wrong way but my guess is that it's your shifting. It does sound like you might be granny shifting a little early.
PONY Member

Are you putting the pedal to the floor? Seriously.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

2012 GT Premium - 401A - 6MT - 3.73s - Steeda CAI and Tune - Steeda Q-Series Hood - Forgestar CF5s - SVT Brembo Brakes - BOSS Brake Ducts - MGW Shifter - GT500 Axlebacks - BOSS Side Exit Exhuast - Eibach Prokit Springs - Adjustable Panhard Bar - BOSS Strut Tower Brace
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoyoteMustang View Post

One another thing is when I'm driving with aggressive traffic, from red to green light accelerations, if I'm shifting at 3k rpm, cars around me seem to well, pull from me. Is it because of the shortened gears from the 3.73?

Please don't bash on me, call me a troll, etc. This was a truely 100% honest question and would love any real input. Thanks guys.
This exact topic has already been covered. I forgot what the outcome was, or what was discussed, but just so you know you are not the only one who has experienced this.

2014 GT 5.0 | Premium | 401A | Roush A/B
PONY Member

OP, what is your 60 foot time, 1/4 mile time and speed? Honda has 190 bhp and weighs 3,300 pounds. You have 412 bhp and weigh 3,533 pounds.

A girl who took four tries before she could stage in an automatic 2012 GT beat me by .521 seconds at the track. She ran in the mid 13s, that Honda would be lucky to run in the 15s.

If I get on my 4.6 2009 GT cars in my rear-view mirror get small; I shift just before the white needle gets to the red as fast as I can. That is the real world facts you should have gotten an automatic.

2009 Mustang GT Deluxe, fake hood scoop, Ford Racing Bullitt cold air intake and tune, Hurst billet competition plus shifter.

GT Member

Wheel-hop + 5k shifts.

But seriously, we should be able to walk an '09 Accord Auto even with those factors...

-2012 Grabber Blue GT 6M Premium w/ Brembos, Glass Roof, HID security pkg, Rear Camera, 401a, FRPP GT500 Axle-backs, Front Pioneer TS-D6802R speakers, JHR bracket, Bondra clutch extension.
-1986 Mazda RX-7 GX - Fast Mirage 16" Wheels, Sumo Firenza 205/60R Tires, slotted brakes + performance pads. Otherwise factory stock.
-2008 Mazda Mazda3 GT Sport - Stock, 5MT.
-2004 Volvo XC90 T5 - Comfort pkg, safety pkg.
-1995 Infiniti G20 - Sold, Pioneer head unit, lighting mods, miss it dearly.
Apprentice
S197 Member

Your issue as most have said was the short shifts and loss of traction. Run your buddies Accord again with WOT shifts and even with the traction loss the outcome will be different.

Craig
2012 GT 300A Lava Red Metallic, Brembo's, 3.73's, Build date 6/17/11
372 RWHP, 354 RWTQ ; GT500 AB's, MGW
BOSS Member

Garage
Shift points are only half of the equation. The other half is how quickly you get to your shift point...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page