Another "First Time at the Track" Post - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-14-2012 Thread Starter
Rookie

Another "First Time at the Track" Post

Went up to 75/80 drag way in MD yesterday to try out my 2012 GT Premium. This was my first time ever at a drag strip. Weather was perfect, 60 deg and low humidity. Sticky track cause they were spraying that sticky stuff on it.

Car: 2012 GT Premium, brembo brakes, glass roof, 3.31 rear end, weight 3820 lbs with half tank gas and 160lb driver, Steeda ultralight springs, bone stock, no other mods.

Best time:

Reaction time: - .028
Red light: yes
Break out: No
60ft: 2.192
330ft: 5.811
Speed: 82.96
660ft: 8.817
Vehicle speed: 107.50
Elapsed time: 13.449

Met a couple with a 2013 GT/CS and we raced each other four times. It was a drivers race between the two cars. As others have pointed out, it was struggle for traction through first and second gear. One time it got real loose right after banging second and I had to back out of it a little.

How's it look for a first timer?

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-14-2012
MACH I Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Looks like alot of fun and thats what counts. Nice job. Are you considering tires for the weekend track runs to help with some of that wheel spin? We were there in July as spectators. Cool place for learning to race. Very low key. I wanna give it a shot next year.

08 GT 5spd
Spectra CAI, Comp Cam Detroit Rockers, Kooks headers w/catted H-pipe, Revolution Automotive dyno tuned, FB430 race mufflers, 3.55s, JLT catch can, BMR Lca's and relo brackets. Prothane motor mounts and sway bar bushings.
20% tint, smoked markers and tail lights w/sequentials. Clear front signal covers, series 3 chin spoiler.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-14-2012
PONY Member

I live about 20 minutes from 75/80. Its an OK track. Invest in those tires. You can't use all your power if its not getting to the ground.

Whipple S/C 550 HO kit, FRPP 3.73 Gears, FRPP springs, Steeda Spyder 20x9 and 20x11, BMR LCAs, BMR ReLo Brackets, Front and Rear CShelby Sway bars, Hurst Billet Shifter, Custom Dyno Tune, MRT O/R H pipe, Borla Stingers

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-14-2012
Grimace427

I want to go back to Mason Dixon before the end of the year, very nice facility with lots of parking room. I want to get a few guys together to hit the track as a group so keep a look out!

BTW my best time in my sig was also my first time at the track. I had an unfair advantage though, the track was MIR in perfect weather conditions. Giggity!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-14-2012
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Send a message via AIM to drifter18533434
hOW DO THEY CLASS YOU-- ARE THE V-8'S SEPERATE FROM THE 6'S
OR IS IT BY TIME? dOES THE CLASS THEY PUT YOU IN DEPEND ON YOUR MODS?

4.10 gears-- boss manifold- bama tunes-6sd manuel-- 19"wheels, staggered-Roush CAI--J&M LCA--- Alum 1pc driveline--93 oct fuel only
-Pypes LTH w/catted X pipe GT500 Muffs-- BBG TB 85mm--Moroso coolant alum tank
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-14-2012
Grimace427

Quote:
Originally Posted by drifter1853 View Post

If you go to a test&tune you don't need to worry about classes. There is no competition going on, just running your car to see how well you do. Nothing more complicated than that.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-14-2012
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drifter1853 View Post
Well what Grimace said, but also yes. They class you by engine and mods. Even when you go to a test&tune you go through tech inspection and they will class you. But it just doesn't matter.

I'm not saying it was aliens...bit it was aliens.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-14-2012
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Your times were almost identical to my first time at the track last year. My car was showroom stock at the time. You can see my information in my "signature" to see what mods I have made since then and the results I am now getting. Since you are in NOVA I would recommend going to Budd's Creek for your next track adventure. It is the best track around our area. Good luck!

2014 GT 5.0 Premium (Ordered 2/1/2013, received 3/20/2013) 6A - 401A premium trim - Steeda CAI - (Mike Rousch) SCT Dynojet custom tune - Lethal offroad H-pipe - J&M LCA's - BMR relocation brackets - Circle D 5C converter - DSS aluminum drive shaft - front sway bar delete kit - stock mufflers - and a stock 3:15 gear. Best pass so far - 60 ft. 1.577, 1/4 mile e.t. 11.567, mph 117.22.

(Traded in on new 2014)
2011 GT 5.0 Premium - Black - 6M - 3:73 gear
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-15-2012
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invictus-Soul View Post
Went up to 75/80 drag way in MD yesterday to try out my 2012 GT Premium. This was my first time ever at a drag strip. Weather was perfect, 60 deg and low humidity. Sticky track cause they were spraying that sticky stuff on it.

Car: 2012 GT Premium, brembo brakes, glass roof, 3.31 rear end, weight 3820 lbs with half tank gas and 160lb driver, Steeda ultralight springs, bone stock, no other mods.

Best time:

Reaction time: - .028
Red light: yes
Break out: No
60ft: 2.192
330ft: 5.811
Speed: 82.96
660ft: 8.817
Vehicle speed: 107.50
Elapsed time: 13.449

Met a couple with a 2013 GT/CS and we raced each other four times. It was a drivers race between the two cars. As others have pointed out, it was struggle for traction through first and second gear. One time it got real loose right after banging second and I had to back out of it a little.

How's it look for a first timer?
I'd say that's pretty good for a first timer!

Remember that a little finesse out of the hole will work wonders. If you drop your 60-foot time into the 1.9Xs, it should run 12s.

Like us at Facebook.com/TeamUPR
Follow us on Instagram @uprproducts
Ask me about the discount on UPR Products for AFM members!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page