Stock GT Brakes - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Stock GT Brakes

Had to make an emergency stop this morning and was pleasantly surprised with the performance of the stock GT brakes. The stopping power was impressive and kept me from needeing to pull off the road to avoid hitting the car in front of me (unlike the car behind me who thankfully didn't hit me).

I can see how these brakes will certainly start to fade after repeated heavy stops at the track, but for daily driving conditions they seem very good - much more reassuring than other cars I've driven.

I'm planning to upgrade my wheels when the stock tires wear out. I was going to add the FRPP Brembo brake kit, but am reconsidering. I don't know how much value it would add to the braking performance for daily driving? I'd like to track the car at some point (my dad is big into this with his vette), but I travel too much for work for it to be a regular thing. I've owned the car for two years and I've only ever taken it to strip.

2011 GT Coupe Premium | MT82 | 3.55's | 400A | Red Candy/Stone | Security Pkg | Built 7/21
Installed: SVT Axelbacks w/ res delete, FRPP tune, K&N drop-in, strut tower brace, JLT oil catch can, PIAA/LEDs, GT500 splashguards, 27% tint

Sold: Rebuilt 1994 Mustang | Motorsports 5.8L/351W | HD 5M | DF clutch | 9" rear end 3.73s | Cobra 'R' brakes | aluminum driveshaft | street legal in SC (barely)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

If I can remember correctly, stopping distance between stock GT and brembo were identical. I think where brembo shine is fading and heating, and of course, in the look department.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2

2013 Deep Impact Blue Metallic MT-82 401a
DiabloSport in tune - AirAid CAI - SVT GT500 AB - Ford Racing P springs - Forgestar F14 - Roush rear/side splitters - Stillen chin splitter - CS Fascia conversion - LED fog delete - 2 much 2 list.... Official mod addict: D
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012
Apprentice

I'm in a similar situation, and I'm not sure yet that I want to upgrade my wheels (or get spacers to clear the SVT Brembos). I might first try upgraded pads, race fluid, and stainless steel brake lines. I doubt that fade resistance will quite approach the Brembo setup (although even these fade at the track), but feel should be much improved (my major gripe with the stock setup).

2013 GT 6MT (Black)

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012
MACH I Member

Just get some higher performance brake pads, see if you like them, then go from there. I strongly feel that Brembo's are made for track braking purposes.

Heck, I road course track my 3.7L and the only brake upgrades I needed were higher boiling point brake fluid, race brake pads and the Boss 302 brake cooling duct kit. She has just a touch of fade on the track, but it's not bad. Brake pad compound made it night and day difference.

I've been using the Blue Stuff brake pads because of the low cost, ability to use them on the track and street, and most importantly, the performance. I get a full set of brake pads for my car for under $180, shipped to my doorstep.

2012 Black 3.7L
=Performance Package

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boff View Post
I'm in a similar situation, and I'm not sure yet that I want to upgrade my wheels (or get spacers to clear the SVT Brembos). I might first try upgraded pads, race fluid, and stainless steel brake lines. I doubt that fade resistance will quite approach the Brembo setup (although even these fade at the track), but feel should be much improved (my major gripe with the stock setup).
Exactly what im thinking of doing, didnt get the Brembos because I never did any track days. But now I kicking myself because I wanna get into now, so im gonna do the mods youre thinking of doing and,adding the brake duct kit to see if itll work at the track

2012 Ebony GT 400a , mt 82, Roush cai, Pypes bomb muffler delete, Ford Racing procal w/tune, C/S frontfascia/Boss spliter, FRpp matte black wheels, reaonator delete, matte black stripes, Frpp p springs

1993 LX convertible.5.0 5speed, bbk cai,bbk longtubes, bbk offroad xpipe, flowmaster catback, pro 50 shifter, SVE udp's,gt40p heads, PP typhoon intake manifold, Frpp b springs, sve uca/lca's, AM cobra,r,wheels
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012
GT Member

If you don't track, don't bother with the upgrade. Having driven both, I prefer the standard brakes for daily driving. Mine are difficult to modulate at very low speeds and require more concentration.

-2012 Grabber Blue GT 6M Premium w/ Brembos, Glass Roof, HID security pkg, Rear Camera, 401a, FRPP GT500 Axle-backs, Front Pioneer TS-D6802R speakers, JHR bracket, Bondra clutch extension.
-1986 Mazda RX-7 GX - Fast Mirage 16" Wheels, Sumo Firenza 205/60R Tires, slotted brakes + performance pads. Otherwise factory stock.
-2008 Mazda Mazda3 GT Sport - Stock, 5MT.
-2004 Volvo XC90 T5 - Comfort pkg, safety pkg.
-1995 Infiniti G20 - Sold, Pioneer head unit, lighting mods, miss it dearly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page