For those of you that have tracked your mustangs.... - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-28-2012 Thread Starter
Rookie

For those of you that have tracked your mustangs....

Going to be doing a track day with SCDA on november 12th at Limerock.

I have a 2012 brembo gt. I'm planning on throwing some Hawk HP Plus track pads on the front and rear and not much else....

Anyone have any advice on things I should consider checking/changing before hand?

What tire pressures are ideal? Its going to probably be a cold day 40-50 degrees most likely.

If anything did go wrong on your track day what was it?

Thanks guys!

-Matt

2012 Ingot Silver GT Premium Brembo
Flowmaster Outlaw axleback
Saleen Front Grille
JLT OS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-28-2012
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FEISTI View Post
Going to be doing a track day with SCDA on november 12th at Limerock.

I have a 2012 brembo gt. I'm planning on throwing some Hawk HP Plus track pads on the front and rear and not much else....

Anyone have any advice on things I should consider checking/changing before hand?

What tire pressures are ideal? Its going to probably be a cold day 40-50 degrees most likely.

If anything did go wrong on your track day what was it?

Thanks guys!

-Matt
Well, I don't know how to evaluate the temperature range you are going to be in, but I changed the DOT3 brake fluid for DOT4 to handle the additional brake heat during the summer track activities.

If it is really 40 degrees, and you have "summer tires" on the car, you may really not like the initial tire grip. At 40 degrees many "summer tires" get hard and slick until they really warm up.

2013 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
Candy Apple Red, Auto, FRPP Tune, GT500 Axlebacks, KONI Yellow Sport (adjustable dampers), FRPP Front and Rear swaybars, Custom Removable 4 Point Roll-Bar, BOSS 302 Low Expansion Brake Lines, Roush side splitters, GT500 spoiler, Redline Tuning hood struts,18" Ford Chromed Aluminum Wheels (9R3Z-1K007-A), Michelin Pilot Super Sports - 235X50X18
2011 Mustang V6 Premium Convertible - Gone
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-28-2012
PONY Member

Get fluid change to brembo lfc 600 (high dry and wet boiling temp). This is very important.

Pads I don't know. One of my buddies races at NASA events and uses hawk DTC 60 or 70.

call sam strano at stranoparts for his opinion he knows his stuff and sells the stuff ill need for good prices.

MOST important is take it easy and have fun

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-29-2012
PONY Member

This is from the BMW M3 forum, but it's relevant to any 3600 pound car with 400HP.

For the love of pete, please stop using HPS and HP+ pads at the track! - BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

Basically, the HP+ pads are ok, the HPS's are downright dangerous. Real race pads (DTC's, PFC0x's, etc) have their drawbacks on the street, but at the track you can focus on driving and not managing your brakes.

2014 GT500
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-29-2012 Thread Starter
Rookie

Great advice guys, since this is my first track day and ill be doing 25min sessions, i think ill be able to get away with the HP+. Definitely wont be trying to go hero status....i say that now.....

How crucial is the higher temperature brake fluid?

Saleen Front Grille
JLT OS
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-29-2012
Apprentice

Brake temp is very important. If your fluid boils, it doesn't matter how good your pads are if you can't get any pressure on them due to your brakes being spongy.

Also, bring a tire pressure reader, and a note pad to see how your driving is affecting the pressures. If it's your absolute first time, a transponder isn't necessary since you will still be learning the track and driving. A go-pro would be nice to borrow to review your lines after the track day.

Bring basic tools such as a torque wrench, etc.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-29-2012
MACH I Member

High temp brake fluid is EXTREMELY crucial. Moreso than brake pads.

Your car was designed to go on the track completely stock. Aside from changing to high temp brake fluid, the most important thing to remember to bring is your learning cap. Absorb the information that people teach you and execute it on the track.

I find that reflecting what I did wrong as I am doing it helps me to remember where I need to implement techniques the instructor told me to work on. Don't shrug this off and build bad habits, be sure to execute and reiterate the correct way of driving on the track, according to your instructor.

Sounds simple, but let me tell you, when you are on the track, there is so much information you are sucking in, it's easy to loose sight of the important picture:

proper technique + safe play = a successful track day!

You will have a blast! Lately, I have been using EBC BlueStuff pads because of the affordability and good street/track performance ($177, shipped for all for wheels - non brembo). Definitely not better than a track-only pad, but it's the closest thing and is technically labeled a "race" pad - Hawk DTC, Raybestos, etc.

Tire pressure:
You want to be wearing your tires to the line above the PZero lettering

So bring a gauge (as others said) and some air to adjust the air pressure accordingly - I'm using the air pump that came with my Mustang inflator kit.

Almost always I find myself running 5PSI higher in the front than the rear (since the brakes will really warm up the air in the front tires). 45F/40R is usually where I like to start at with a warm tire, and work from there based on tire wear.

One last suggestion:
Study your track you are going to attend and watch in-car videos if you can. Trackpedia is such a valuable resource!
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...usXpWJRZptS4cQ

2012 Black 3.7L
=Performance Package

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-29-2012 Thread Starter
Rookie

NC_Tech007- thanks for the tips man, definitely bringing my go pro, cant get all this advice from you guys and not let you watch!!!

Saleen Front Grille
JLT OS
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-29-2012 Thread Starter
Rookie

2VipeRS- Wow thanks for all the advice! Say its my first session, so cold tires, how much can i assume the psi will increase with temperature? For ex. Should i set 40F/35R to get 45F/40R on the track? And as far as the wearing the maximum area of the tire....if im not quite reaching the ends of the lines I should decrease tire psi correct?

I've heard mixed reviews on EBC brake pads....ill have to do some more research. I know limerock pretty well just from going there a thousand times to watch ST, GT and Lemans. But i am fortunate to be going with some friends who have driven the track before as well!

Saleen Front Grille
JLT OS
MACH I Member

Quote:
2VipeRS- Wow thanks for all the advice! Say its my first session, so cold tires, how much can i assume the psi will increase with temperature? For ex. Should i set 40F/35R to get 45F/40R on the track?
Oh, I set mine to 45F/40R before the session (warm) and I am sure they peaked 50PSI in the front while I was out driving. There are many variables to what PSI you should run, but the biggest one is how a person drives. The more aggressive the person is, the higher PSI you are going to need, because it takes more air pressure to keep the tire from rolling too much.

It's easier to take out air than add air on the track. I usually start out with anywhere between 40F/35R to 45F/40R by filling them up from a nearby station. My PZero's needed the 45F/40R, while my Continental slicks were fine with 40F/35R on the same track with about the same temp outside (~high 60's). If you are worried about grip, start with the lower air pressures.

Quote:
And as far as the wearing the maximum area of the tire....if im not quite reaching the ends of the lines I should decrease tire psi correct?
Correct! You will feel if you have too little air pressure - the tires will feel like they are practically rolling over the wheels. Best way to check this is using a chalk line on each tire, as you will see after each run exactly where the wear is ending. You will also find that either your left front or right front will be wearing the most and may need an extra PSI.

2012 Black 3.7L
=Performance Package

PONY Member

I may come out there with My dad with his Porsche 911 GTS.
I would say bleed the brakes!

13 V6 Premium Deep Impact Blue/White Stripes/Charcoal Black, Auto, 202A Pony Package, Comfort Package,Security Package
Mods: Factory Engine Cover, Ford Strut Tower Brace, RTR 19in wheels, Nitto Nt55,, Ford All-Weather Mats, Gt LED Grille, Airaid CAI, Borla Atak AxleBacks, GT500 Style wing, Adaptive Shifting Pigtail, Koni Yellows, Steeda Adjustable Camber Plates, and Eibach Sportline springs,BBK Ceramic Shorty Headers, MPT 92 Octane Tune, DSS Driveshaft, Ford 3.73 Gears, Brembos
Apprentice
Classic Member

I had my first few track days this year, and 2VipeRS has pretty much said what I've heard at the track. Make sure you have an idea of the track before you go. Print off a map and study it.

Another thing that helped me was finding an instructor that drives a mustang. The instructor in the WRX doesn't have as much to teach you as the guy in the mustang (not saying he can't teach you, just saying its helpful). Other mustang guys are also pretty good resources.

Unless its a tough track on brakes, some DOT4 fluid and pads (I'm using EBC pads - good stuff but tons of dust in my experience) should get you through just fine. That's not to say you won't have a long list of things you want to do to your car afterwards though!

I also recommend a nice wash / clay / general TLC afterwards too.

1968 Mustang Coupe /
2012 Black Mustang GT Premium Coupe
Black / Saddle, 6MT
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-05-2012 Thread Starter
Rookie

great advice guys, thanks again. and the5, hope to see you there!

Saleen Front Grille
JLT OS
PONY Member

Send a message via MSN to Rorysbrown
Get some brake cooling ducts is a must on Mustangs Front Brake Duct Kit with Silicone Hose for 2005-2014 Mustang, Boss 302 and Shelby GT500 | Shop Kenny Brown

Rory S. Brown from Surrey, BC Canada
2019 Mustang Bullitt, 2014 Mustang MCA Edition in Grabber Blue. Previously: 2016 Shelby GT350 in Race Red, 2015 Mustang V6 Competition Orange, 2012 Mustang V6 Premium ProCharged in Black, 2011 Mustang V6 Premium in Red Candy Metallic, and 1979 Mustang Cobra in Bright Red (My 1st New Car)
Website www.mymustang.ca
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-06-2012 Thread Starter
Rookie

Rorysbrown- that might be a future consideration. definitely don't have time for that at the moment. plus since i have the california lower valence, i think id need to switch to the boss valence, or remove my fogs. its going to be around 50 degrees out on my track day, and with track pads, fluid, and 25min sessions, i dont think i'll experience a lot of overheating. but who knows!!

Saleen Front Grille
JLT OS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page