Brighter bulbs - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-02-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice
V6 Member
S197 Member

Brighter bulbs

So as its getting closer to winter here in Kansas, I'm noticing how dim my headlights are. Kansas has a lot of deer even in developed areas. Is there a brighter bulb I could buy? I don't want to spend the money on new headlights or hid conversion just yet

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide.com App

2011 Race Red Mustang V6 Performance Pack
Current mods: Matte black hood black out and retro quater panel stripes, metallic deck lid panel, AIRAID CAI,Pype bomb axlebacks, and 87 performance tuned by BAMA
Future Mods: Aluminum Driveshaft, lowering springs, and exterior trim after summer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-02-2012
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyboy9505 View Post
So as its getting closer to winter here in Kansas, I'm noticing how dim my headlights are. Kansas has a lot of deer even in developed areas. Is there a brighter bulb I could buy? I don't want to spend the money on new headlights or hid conversion just yet

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide.com App
You can go to walmart (or any other car parts dealer) and get silverstar ultra's. I got them within 48 hours of buying my car. Night and day difference.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-02-2012
Apprentice

^Kris is right, those are the best you are gonna get for the money. I didn't wanna spend that much for HID's either. They're a good bit brighter and whiter and you can find them at a lotta places, I think Walmart even.

Sylvania Silverstar Ultra Light Bulbs - H13 H13SU/2 - Free Shipping!
The ones you're gonna want are called "Sylvania h13 (9008) Silverstar Ultra"

2012 Mustang V6 Black Auto
Magnaflow Competition Axel-backs / 89P Bama Tune / Airaid CAI / Hood Scoop / Stillen Chin Spiler / MMD Quarter Window Louvers / MMD Matte Black Tail Light Trim / Black 2010 GT500 18x9/10 Wheels / 35W 5000k HID / Raxiom Smoked Halos / GT500-Boss-CS Rear Diffuser / GT500 Splash Guards

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-02-2012
GT Member

yep just make sure you get the ultras. Also, if you have the big grill fogs, Get some 9005 high beam ultras. higher wattage than the 45 watt stockers (60) and with Silverstar Ultra tech, more brightness help there. nothing will cook if you do this. I've been running them for a year, on all the time because they are the DRL requirement where I am.

2014 Premium GT, SGM, Brembo, Auto, Tech, Comfort, etc. GT500s, Steeda UCA, VMP auto tune, 100 shot on BBR tune, best et: 11.38 at 120.85

2012 GT, Candy Red, Brembo, 3.73, Tech, Comfort, etc. Procal tune, Roush upper, UMI LCAs, Steeda red bracket, GT500s, 28X10X16 Hoosier slicks, best et: 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-02-2012
Apprentice

DDM hid kit. $45 and will last longer and much brighter. Just get the 4000 kit.

2013 TRACK PACK
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-02-2012
PONY Member

+1 for the ultras. I had them on my v6 and they helped a good deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide.com Free App

2011 GT C/S, MT82 Race red with all black interior
Conti Extreme Contact DWS's 245/45 ZR 19
GT500 axle-backs with resonator deletes, FRPP tune
BMR poly LCA's
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-02-2012
PONY Member

Since your other thread with my response disappeared, I will rewrite it.

The brightest halogen you can get is the Philips HIR2 9012. It's rated at 1700 Lumens on low beam, which is higher than the Silverstar Ultras on high beam and VERY close to the 1800-2000 Lumens of HIDs on low beam.

The next brightest is the Philips X-Treme Power, which is about 1500 Lumens on low beam, which is a little brighter than the Silverstar Ultras.

Here is a pic comparing the Philips X-Treme Power and the Sylvania Silverstar Ultra side by side. Philips on the left, Sylvania on the right.

The Sylvania Silverstar Ultras are really popular, but aren't really much brighter than stock and they have a very short lifespan. On average, you'll only get about 2 years worth of use out of a set, but don't be surprised if they last less than 1 year.

They are technically rated at 1500 Lumens on low beam, but they also have a blue tinting on the bulb which reduces the amount of useable light that they emit. When tested under real world conditions, they come in closer to 900-1100 Lumens. They seem to be brighter because of the blue-white light vs the yellowish light of others, but they aren't really. It's more of a placebo effect than it is an actual increase in the amount of light. It LOOKS whiter, and most people equate that to brighter.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-02-2012
MACH I Member

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-03-2012
MACH I Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM Convert View Post
The Sylvania Silverstar Ultras are really popular, but aren't really much brighter than stock and they have a very short lifespan. On average, you'll only get about 2 years worth of use out of a set, but don't be surprised if they last less than 1 year.

They are technically rated at 1500 Lumens on low beam, but they also have a blue tinting on the bulb which reduces the amount of useable light that they emit. When tested under real world conditions, they come in closer to 900-1100 Lumens. They seem to be brighter because of the blue-white light vs the yellowish light of others, but they aren't really. It's more of a placebo effect than it is an actual increase in the amount of light. It LOOKS whiter, and most people equate that to brighter.
^^^^^^^^^ Exactly.

GT Member
Classic Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM Convert View Post
The brightest halogen you can get is the Philips HIR2 9012. It's rated at 1700 Lumens on low beam, which is higher than the Silverstar Ultras on high beam and VERY close to the 1800-2000 Lumens of HIDs on low beam.
...And this won't be too hot and/or melt wires or anything?

-2011 GT , 6AT, ROUSH TVS 2300 Phase 3 Supercharger w/ CAI, 82mm Pully, 3.73 FRPP Gears, Bassani Longtubes, Bassani HiFlo Cats., Bassani Cat-Back Xhaust, Eibach Pro Suspension, J&M Panhard bar, BMR LCAs, BRENSPEED Tuned...(More in profile)
-1965 Fastback "A-Code" 2+2 , 289 4bbl Edlebrock Performance, Ravin Exhaust..
-1970 BOSS 302 - Dearborn built, Numbers matching 302 engine bored .030 over and stroked to 331. Grabber Blue
GT Member

Send a message via AIM to Fastredponycar
I've tried I think all the bulbs mentioned in this thread and there is little to no difference on the road.

I ended up giving them all to friends, keeping the stock bulbs in the glove box and installing a set of the RetroSolutions HID's - 4300k, 35watts, (That's OEM spec color temp and wattage) capped bulbs. <- capped because it's an open ended bulb type lamp housing

35W DIGITAL HID KITS - Retro-Solutions Store

They look great, put out SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much more light and are not offensive or glaring to oncoming motorists. I've mentioned this in a couple other threads but I had a law enforcement officer friend of mine come over at night to inspect them both in his car and out as I drove by and not only did he give them a thumbs up for being ok for road use, he said that they were much more easy on the eyes than the majority of OEM projector HID's.

2012 GT Premuim - Candy Metallic Red, MT82, Comfort package, Reverse Camera, Brembos and 3.73's.

Mods: JLT oil separator, Koni Sports, Steeda sport springs/HD strut mounts, GT500 Axleback, Air Raid CAI

373 RWHP / 356 TQ - Stock on 87 octane
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page