How did you decide your race style? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-06-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member
5.0L Member

How did you decide your race style?

I want to start doing more with my car, actually hitting some tracks once in a while, while still preserving its looks longevity, and useabilty as my DD.

For those that race how did you decide between focusing on road race/autoX or drag?

I'm planning on looking for a decent driving school, then going out for some fun, but I feel like maybe I need to pick one style over the other, especially whenI start choosing additional mods.

2012 Kona Blue GT Prem, 401A (Charc + Blue), MT, 3.73, HIDs, Glass Roof, Electronics, Rear Sense + Security, Rear View Cam.
JHR bracket, FRPP, Steeda Sport Springs, Pro Action Dampers, adj Panhard, J&M Camber Plates

2004 Xterra (Sold) 2000 AltezzaRS (AKA-Lexus IS200 Sold)
"Mustangs are like good looking women. You can spend a lot of money dressing them up, but really they just look better naked."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-06-2012
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrh0341 View Post
I want to start doing more with my car, actually hitting some tracks once in a while, while still preserving its looks longevity, and useabilty as my DD.

For those that race how did you decide between focusing on road race/autoX or drag?

I'm planning on looking for a decent driving school, then going out for some fun, but I feel like maybe I need to pick one style over the other, especially whenI start choosing additional mods.
for dragging u need alot of power and slicks
for road tracks u need a balance of sticky tires and suspension work

12' RR GT | FORD RACING | JBA | CERVINI | ROUSH | KONI | H&R | 3DCARBON | C&L | AMRs | BREMBO | CDC
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-06-2012
PONY Member
5.0L Member

I am more interested in tracking the car than anything, even though i haven't done so...

Drag racing is eassier and cheaper, thats what I am more involved with that. I'm not sure that you need lots of power and slicks to drag race. I go out probably every other month and still have fun beating up on camaros and challengers without slicks.

Tracking the car ussually needs more money and time... and until I get my house remodelling completed, I dont have much of either... lol

I've been curious to go to an Auto X event just to check it out, one of these days I'll look into it...

2003 Sonic Blue Mustang SVT Cobra - 460RWHP - 480ftlbs

SOLD - 2011 Kona Blue Mustang GT – 401RWHP SAE - 12.64s @ 114.48mph

SOLD - 2003 Redfire Mustang GT

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-06-2012
GT Member

You don't have to pick a style....try them and see which you enjoy more. I always like road racing, but after one time going down the drag strip I was hooked. Going to make mine a street/strip car. Cost wasn't much of a factor as any way you go you'll drop money. Just gotta see what you like doing.

I'm not saying it was aliens...bit it was aliens.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-06-2012
PONY Member

do you like straight line, street light to street light sort of racing or hitting the twisties on some back roads?

if you enjoy one of those more then other...it'd be a good place to start...

keep in mind most insurances will deny your claim if you wreck you car participating in any sort of tracking event. from the stanpoint drag racing i think drag racing has less variables to wreck your car and thus slightly less risk...but its all taking a chance

Sent from my SGH-T989 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-06-2012
PONY Member

If you decide to do SCCA racing part of the suspension mods will be caster/camber plates. They help save you tires in the turns. Once you do that it would hurt drag racing the car by making you slower. As mentioned before road racing is more of a balance between the suspension and power.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page