SelectShift, is there a way to get it show what gear it's in? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-08-2012 Thread Starter
Rookie

Talking SelectShift, is there a way to get it show what gear it's in?

Okay this is driving me crazy ... when switching to selectshift the screen just shows a big area of verbiage saying its in selectshift mode (duh) but not what gear you're in. Reason it's so annoying is that the gear is usually a surprisingly high one, like I'm going 60km and its in 5th or something like that. So then as I approach an area where I want to engine brake and downshift thinking its going to bring it into 3rd, it only goes to 4th so does nothing at all and I end up having to hit brakes anyway.

IMO selectshift is useless when you have to guess what fricking gear you're in when you first use it. Am I doing something wrong? Is there some setting I can change this with? Thanks.

2013 GT, Sterling Gray, 401A, Auto, Electr Pkg, Secty Pkg, Camera, Remote Start
Order 6/28, Build 9/19, ETA-1 9/28, ETA-2 10/2, ETA-3 10/11, Final ETA: 10/10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-08-2012
PONY Member

You pretty much have to begin shifting from a stop, going 1st to 2nd. That's what I do, because once you start moving and decide to use it, you have no idea what gear you're in.

If I am moving and want to switch to "sport shift" I'll just give it an up shift so I can see what gear I'm in. An up shift is the safest way I know hoe to do it.

2013 Sterling Gray Mustang GT- ( Bone Stock)

2009 Silver WRX- ( traded for 13' GT)
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-08-2012
GT Member
S197 Member

I can shift to select shift any time. It will downshift to 5th if it is in 6th. It won't indicate the gear until I do a manual shift. It will take off from a stop in 3rd, and downshift if you get too slow in 6th. No problems with gear indication.

Frank

2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Brembos, Auto, GT500 Axlebacks.

SOLD! 2008 GT Premium, Vapor Metallic, 5-speed stick w/MGW, Ford Racing M6066 Whipple S/C, 3.31 gear, GTA's. GT500 front end, spoiler, suspension and wheels. Sequentials and one touch. - can't wipe the smile off my face.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-08-2012 Thread Starter
Rookie

Okay thanks guys. At least I know it's not just a setting I could change (unfortunately). Wish it was a little more intuitive. Our other car is a hemi with slapshift and it's a lot more reactive. But I suppose i will get used to this in time. Thx again.

post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-08-2012
GT Member
S197 Member

I would like for it to show what gear it's in all the time, even in drive.

Frank

2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Brembos, Auto, GT500 Axlebacks.

SOLD! 2008 GT Premium, Vapor Metallic, 5-speed stick w/MGW, Ford Racing M6066 Whipple S/C, 3.31 gear, GTA's. GT500 front end, spoiler, suspension and wheels. Sequentials and one touch. - can't wipe the smile off my face.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-08-2012
GT Member

Why do you need a number on a screen to tell you what gear you are in?

Listen to the engine, feel the car etc...

You should be able to tell what gear you are in without a screen displaying it for you...

2014 GT 5.0 | Premium | 401A | Roush A/B
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-09-2012
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pony_boy View Post
Why do you need a number on a screen to tell you what gear you are in?

Listen to the engine, feel the car etc...

You should be able to tell what gear you are in without a screen displaying it for you...
He's talking about when you're cruising around, then decide you want to start shifting.
Basically, a spontaneous decision to downshift before taking a corner.

Sure its easy to know what gear you're in if you pay attention to all the shift points the entire time you're cruising around, but who does that?

Also the shifts are so smooth, that if you had the radio on, you couldn't feel or hear it , especially at cruising speed.

post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-09-2012
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by shepherdgirl View Post
Okay this is driving me crazy ... when switching to selectshift the screen just shows a big area of verbiage saying its in selectshift mode (duh) but not what gear you're in. Reason it's so annoying is that the gear is usually a surprisingly high one, like I'm going 60km and its in 5th or something like that. So then as I approach an area where I want to engine brake and downshift thinking its going to bring it into 3rd, it only goes to 4th so does nothing at all and I end up having to hit brakes anyway.

IMO selectshift is useless when you have to guess what fricking gear you're in when you first use it. Am I doing something wrong? Is there some setting I can change this with? Thanks.

Pressing the "ok" button gets rid of the notice on mine. Then it shows the gear number at the bottom of the screen.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-09-2012
GT Member

Just for the record, i have the regular auto, with no select shift. When cruising you can easily tell what gear the car is in... modulating the throttle, looking at rpms, vehicle speed etc... let alone where you change gear with the press of a button. Just my 0.02$

PONY Member

Quote:
Just for the record, i have the regular auto, with no select shift. When cruising you can easily tell what gear the car is in... modulating the throttle, looking at rpms, vehicle speed etc... let alone where you change gear with the press of a button. Just my 0.02$
OMG You're my hero

PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rex_harrison View Post
Sure its easy to know what gear you're in if you pay attention to all the shift points the entire time you're cruising around, but who does that?
Literally everybody with a manual.

2012 GT Premium Coupe 6MT
Kona Blue | Black/Grabber Blue
401A | 3.55 | BBP | CP | SP | EP | GR | HID | RVC | RSS | "Piss 5ohwhoa off"
Delivered 07MAR11
GT Member

Quote:
OMG You're my hero
Shhh no tears, only dreams now.

PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye18 View Post
Literally everybody with a manual.
Wow, really? I did not know that.

See, I thought we were talking about Automatics, but thanks for that nugget of useless information.

That's quite a revelation!

GT Member

Quote:
Wow, really? I did not know that.

See, I thought we were talking about Automatics, but thanks for that nugget of useless information.

That's quite a revelation!

post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-09-2012 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
You're kidding, right? When cruising, no I can't easily tell what gear I'm in ... I'm usually busy doing something else like talking on a conf call, checking something on the nav screen, listening to the traffic report, putting on my makeup (just kidding with that last one), etc. If the roads are slick and highway starts trending to stop-and-go, I just want to be able to switch to selectshift and have the damn car to tell me what gear it's in, that's all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74gtstang View Post
Pressing the "ok" button gets rid of the notice on mine. Then it shows the gear number at the bottom of the screen.
Aha! I never thought to try that, seems like it will solve the problem! I liked rex's idea of upshifting better than what I had been doing (which was nothing and just hoping a downshift would get me in the right gear when I needed it), but if the ok button works that will be great. Thanks for that!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page