Question for ProCal Tune owners - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum
View Poll Results: Do you like your ProCal Tune?
Yes 25 71.43%
So-So 4 11.43%
No 6 17.14%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Apprentice

For the money and peace of mind knowing that the warranty is covered I would not go any other route. Great low end torque and the tires will burn in 1st and 2nd with no problem. I still have the 3:31 gears. No ping ever.

2011 Auto V6, Jon Lund 93 tune, 4.10, Steeda CAI, FRPP LCA & X-Pipe, Shaftmasters DS, Bassani Axle back SOLD

GT/CS M6, FRPP Tune, GT500 LCA/ axlebacks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cababah View Post
Enlighten us please on what exactly "catalytic impingement" is....or did you just hear that from one of the Ford Racing techs who also couldn't clearly explain it?
I'm only referencing what Ford Racing calls it...since they say it is not pinging.

PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cababah View Post
Enlighten us please on what exactly "catalytic impingement" is....or did you just hear that from one of the Ford Racing techs who also couldn't clearly explain it?
I'm only referencing what Ford Racing calls it...since they say it is not pinging.

GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnido45 View Post
I've talked to the same guy who told you that. If you talk to a different tech there, he will tell you something different. Kind of unsettling.

They told me it wasn't ping either...until I took it to get dyno tuned and guess what? It was pinging most definitely. The tuner could hear it across the room.

2011 Mustang GT 5.0 Coupe/Brembos/3.73

"I'm also 6'5" and 270 lbs. and could crush a person's bones with my bare hands"
-Jozsefsz

Apprentice

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnido45 View Post
I like it...13k+ miles with it and car is still running strong...even with ocassional catalytic impingement

My sentiments exactly! I don't care what they call it.
When I become the 'poster child' for the man who "wrecked his motor" with the FRPP ProCal tune, I'll declare such!

Until such time - and to my knowledge nobody HAS....

...I'm gonna' "drive and smile!'

2013 GT Premium - DIB | 6MT | 3.73 | Brembo and Suspension Package | HID | Security Package |
GT500 AB (SVT Sport) | FRPP Pro Cal tune

Previous:
2006 Red Monte Carlo SS (traded for the new GT 5.0)
1993 Red Stang LX | 5.0 | 5MT | Hatch
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

You got that right MaxIsBackIn5.0, I haven't heard about a single issue with the Ford Racing Tune.
All I can say is that I will always have more trust in Ford products than I could with any other brands... (and no I don't work for Ford!)

2011 Ford Mustang V8 5.0 GT/CS Black Coupe MT - (Mods in my profile, too many to list here...)
"Don't wait for tomorrow to look back and wish for today": In Memory of a great guy: Pcfrisch.
Apprentice

That's what I like about your posts, AC...

I'm the same way. Run 'Ford stuff.' All your mods are "Ford approved." They designed this car with parts to work together in a certain way. The fact that people can have other after-market parts that still perform great is a testament to the great design that went into the car to begin with. And I don't work for Ford either!

I can tell you that I've never been 'stranded' by one, though - as in 'not able to get home.' It might have 'limped' when broken, but it got me home.

My GM experiences - well, let me just say that my 2006 Monte Carlo SS left me stranded *twice* with big-ticket stuff (like alternators buried in the bottom of the transverse-mounted 5.3L V8 and such).

'Good to be back in my second 'Stang...

2013 GT Premium - DIB | 6MT | 3.73 | Brembo and Suspension Package | HID | Security Package |
GT500 AB (SVT Sport) | FRPP Pro Cal tune

Previous:
2006 Red Monte Carlo SS (traded for the new GT 5.0)
1993 Red Stang LX | 5.0 | 5MT | Hatch
PONY Member

I picked the FRPP tune strictly because it is smog legal. The other tuners do boast more hp, etc. One reason I didn't try a tune from other tuners (yet) was because there were a few posts out there about owners reverting back to stock for smog...and for some reason, they couldn't pass...some were told to drive for a few hundred miles, etc. and they still had trouble passing smog...I didn't want to go through that headache when that time comes.
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I love my ProCal tune. The boost in low-end torque was my primary reason for going with the ProCal. With 3:31 gears, the extra torque was a noticeable and welcomed improvement.

2012 Grabber Blue GT Premium, 6MT, 3:31, Brembo, Nav, Comfort pkg, backup camera.
Goodies: GT500 Mufflers, MGW Shifter, DSS AL Driveshaft, Bondra Clutch pedal extension
Tune: Bama 91 Octane V2 Performance Tune
Suspension: Steeda Ultralite Springs, Koni Yellows, Steeda HD Strut Mounts, Steeda UCA - lowered cars, BMR Adj. Panhard bar
Tires: Continental DWS06 275/40-19
Track Days: Bama 93 Octane Race Tune, 18x10 SVE Drifts with Bridgestone RE-11 285/30
Just for show: Raxiom Smoked tail lights
Apprentice

put the tune on @ 5k.
now have around 20k. besides the 4k kitty ''inpingment'', [thats for you cabaha], its been good. how do i grade it? B.
It gets the B cus, its under warrenty witch is good. but you should not here any ping, witch makes people worry, regardless of damage or not. just my opinion. 2 cents worth. enjoy the car.

1993 south carolina ssp.
h/c/i 307rwhp 317rwtq.

2012 race red gt. 6m, 3.31
frpp tune. 374rwhp, 378rwtq.
one speeding ticket
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Do any of you have 2013 manual with procal? Mine made my car thump excessively whenever I hit the throttle while in 6th gear cruising, but other than that, I got the pinging that sound like my heat shield crumpling into pieces in 2nd gear around 2-4k rpm. I wish I could say the same as most of you guys but with this weird experience I ended up taking mine off after 3 days I don't think anyone would enjoy their ride when their drivetrain feel like is loose every time you hit the throttle.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

2013 Deep Impact Blue Metallic MT-82 401a
DiabloSport in tune - AirAid CAI - SVT GT500 AB - Ford Racing P springs - Forgestar F14 - Roush rear/side splitters - Stillen chin splitter - CS Fascia conversion - LED fog delete - 2 much 2 list.... Official mod addict: D
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LITER_MUENSTER View Post
Do any of you have 2013 manual with procal? Mine made my car thump excessively whenever I hit the throttle while in 6th gear cruising, but other than that, I got the pinging that sound like my heat shield crumpling into pieces in 2nd gear around 2-4k rpm. I wish I could say the same as most of you guys but with this weird experience I ended up taking mine off after 3 days I don't think anyone would enjoy their ride when their drivetrain feel like is loose every time you hit the throttle.

Did you take the car back to the dealer that installed the PROCAL tune for diagnostics? What did FRPP tell you or the dealer about the noises? Was the dealer able to "localize" either of the noises? Did the dealer run ECM logging to see what the "knock sensors" were reporting and what was happening to the spark timing?

2013 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
Candy Apple Red, Auto, FRPP Tune, GT500 Axlebacks, KONI Yellow Sport (adjustable dampers), FRPP Front and Rear swaybars, Custom Removable 4 Point Roll-Bar, BOSS 302 Low Expansion Brake Lines, Roush side splitters, GT500 spoiler, Redline Tuning hood struts,18" Ford Chromed Aluminum Wheels (9R3Z-1K007-A), Michelin Pilot Super Sports - 235X50X18
2011 Mustang V6 Premium Convertible - Gone
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LITER_MUENSTER View Post

The tune might be making an existing problem more apparent. Maybe there is a an issue with some play somewhere in your drivetrain that this tune is exploiting due to the increased throttle response and torque at lower RPM. Can you replicate it at all on the stock tune?

2011 Mustang GT 5.0 Coupe/Brembos/3.73

"I'm also 6'5" and 270 lbs. and could crush a person's bones with my bare hands"
-Jozsefsz

Apprentice

Drove my car for the first time in about a month today. I pretty much store it for the winter with a battery charger hooked up, but we had a super nice day so I decided to take it for a short drive long enough to get everything warmed up. I was pleasently surprised in that I didn't have any noticeable ping when I opened the car up through a couple of gears. It was cool this morning at about 40 degrees so I'm wondering if that was one of the reasons why. Needless to say I was happy about it and enjoyed the drive.
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

It's a shame a Ford Racing Rep doesn't chime in on the forum whenever a post like this is made (there certainly are plenty of them). Whenever a post pops up about Bama they are right on it, and Diablo is now also.

2015 Gt with perf pack/Guard Green/MBRP race exhaust/Steeda shifter bracket/ ....... more to come

Originally Posted by cudaman ........
Let's hope you don't have the same problem with your zipper and your fueling rod, should you run into another female in a Camaro that needs genetic gas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page