Question for ProCal Tune owners - Page 3 - Ford Mustang Forum
View Poll Results: Do you like your ProCal Tune?
Yes 25 71.43%
So-So 4 11.43%
No 6 17.14%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I called ford racing and they said that it will sometimes make drivetrain noise more apparent due to increased throttle response. BULLSHYT! Basically nothing they can do. Without procal my car always been fine. I didn't even know what drivetrain slop was until this experience with procal. The throttle is as smooth as butter with stock tune and no sign of any play, noise, vibration, or anything other than your normal MT82 characters that almost everyone experience one way or the other. With procal my 6th gear feel broken. Every time I hit the throttle there's the thumping that I can feel through my legs and body. I can even play with the thumping or the clunk. The harder I come down on the throttle the vibration is much more harsh. I can almost make it sound like something is going to fall off. I don't understand how my car end up with this excessive slop with procal.

As far as taking the car to the dealer I don't think I am. Obviously it's something within this procal calibration for my MT82 2013 GT that's causing this and ford racing already said this is normal and expected. I can see if it did the same on stock tune but its perfect on stock tune. I would hate for someone to tear into something that was never broken and possibly create new problems. To be honest, my experience with my local ford dealer been real crappy so far. I really don't even want to deal with them unless I reaalllyyy have to.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

2013 Deep Impact Blue Metallic MT-82 401a
DiabloSport in tune - AirAid CAI - SVT GT500 AB - Ford Racing P springs - Forgestar F14 - Roush rear/side splitters - Stillen chin splitter - CS Fascia conversion - LED fog delete - 2 much 2 list.... Official mod addict: D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

PONY Member
S197 Member

I had the procal tune installed on my 2013 GT 6M today at a local dealership. So far, it's fantastic. I've run a few pulls from 0 to 80 and it just flat out goes. The low end torque increase really is impressive. I don't hear any unusual sounds or pinging, however I did notice the "clunk" that 5LITER_MUENSTER mentioned, but it's nothing I haven't felt in other cars that have fast RPM drops/engine braking. For me it happens more in 4th, but I was able to duplicate it on a downhill slope in 6th by gently tapping on the gas and releasing. It basically feels like my old 93 GT 5M -- the drive train was just a little "loose" feeling if you goosed the accelerator and let off under the right conditions.

So what would this "pinging" sound like in-car? Obviously the name implies it sounds like "ping", but I'm curious so I can listen out for it.

Black 2013 GT Premium | Track Package | Recaros | GT500's | JBA H-Pipe | Borla Over-Axles | OEM GT500 Spoiler | Koni Yellows | Steeda CAI/Tune | Steeda Ultralite Springs | Steeda Adjustable UCA/PHB | Steeda Billet LCAs | MGW | Forgestar F14's
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Xarius, pinging will sound like your heat shield crumbling and its metallic sounding. think of bunch of little rice made of hard metal being shaken very hard in a can. You will know if it happens. It will happen quick and go away quick.

And just as you explained, when I get that thunk it almost feel like something is "loose" but I think it simply could be described as drivetrain slop, or when some cars have more slack in the rear differential than it should. Maybe something changed in the 2013 manual tune? The reason why I say this is because everyone that I know with 2013 manual with procal been noticing this clunk, thunk, shunt, drivetrain slop, tip in clunk or whatever one wants to call it on throttle one way or the other lol. Guys with pre 2013 seem to be fine with no clunks. I don't see anyone mention anything about it. I also believe this clunk might be worst for some and faint for others. For me, it's very annoying and it only happens in 6th gear when I hit the throttle after coming off the throttle. With no procal it's perfectly smooth. I can't tell that I have any more slack than I should in the drivetrain for me to think a more aggressive throttle strategy could make the clunk more pronounced. It's just not there stock at all.

Could you please keep me posted how your clunk hold up xarious.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

DiabloSport in tune - AirAid CAI - SVT GT500 AB - Ford Racing P springs - Forgestar F14 - Roush rear/side splitters - Stillen chin splitter - CS Fascia conversion - LED fog delete - 2 much 2 list.... Official mod addict: D

Rookie

I had a BAMA tune in my '11 V6 and did about ~6 updates (ended up with the 93H). The power was awesome - the driveability ok. For my '13 GT (auto) I decided to go with the ProCal since they keep the warranty (my dealer installed it day 1 and confirmed the warranty). So far no pinging, no unsuspected noise .. only a lot of torque ... LIKE IT

'13 GT convertible, black, auto, 401A, Brembo, Reverse Sensing & Security, Comfort, Electronics, Camera, Shaker Pro, GT500 axle-back, C&L CAI, Custom tune
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I believe you auto guys are safe when it comes to drivetrain clunk as us manual guys are more susceptible to it. Pinging can go either way.

------------------------------------

GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LITER_MUENSTER View Post
I called ford racing and they said that it will sometimes make drivetrain noise more apparent due to increased throttle response. BULLSHYT!
I would guess Ford Racing was telling you the truth. The ECU doesn't have any drivetrain parts to control in a car with a manual transmision that is cruising in 6th gear. What the ECU tune "could do" is shut down the fuel injectors faster, when you take your foot off the throttle, to generate more aggressive "engine driven deceleration." The "thump" you are feeling certainly is likely from "slippage" in the clutch, transmission, driveshaft or differential, but it could be a loose motor mount or something else that is reacting to "hard engine decel." I would consider going to another dealer - one that sells Ford Racing Performance Products in the Baltimore area - and get their "drivetrain guy" to drive the car and observe the problem. Even if you take off the tune, there is almost surely a "physical issue" in the drivetrain.

2013 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
Candy Apple Red, Auto, FRPP Tune, GT500 Axlebacks, KONI Yellow Sport (adjustable dampers), FRPP Front and Rear swaybars, Custom Removable 4 Point Roll-Bar, BOSS 302 Low Expansion Brake Lines, Roush side splitters, GT500 spoiler, Redline Tuning hood struts,18" Ford Chromed Aluminum Wheels (9R3Z-1K007-A), Michelin Pilot Super Sports - 235X50X18
2011 Mustang V6 Premium Convertible - Gone
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioguy View Post
I would guess Ford Racing was telling you the truth. The ECU doesn't have any drivetrain parts to control in a car with a manual transmision that is cruising in 6th gear. What the ECU tune "could do" is shut down the fuel injectors faster, when you take your foot off the throttle, to generate more aggressive "engine driven deceleration." The "thump" you are feeling certainly is likely from "slippage" in the clutch, transmission, driveshaft or differential, but it could be a loose motor mount or something else that is reacting to "hard engine decel." I would consider going to another dealer - one that sells Ford Racing Performance Products in the Baltimore area - and get their "drivetrain guy" to drive the car and observe the problem. Even if you take off the tune, there is almost surely a "physical issue" in the drivetrain.
What I don't understand is, shouldn't I have some sign of bad part while on factory tune? weather it be a bad motor mount, lose u joint, lose LCA, play in the differential, etc.. etc...???? I'm a little lost because I have no sign of anything being wrong when I'm on factory tune. Then all of a sudden, as soon as the procal goes on now I'm getting excessive clunk only in 6th gear when getting on throttle. Now from doing my own little research it does look like these cars have some slack from factory, and which is probably the reason why so many peoples talk about clunk when they shift or clunk when cold clunk when pushing in the clutch and etc..etc.. I'm sure the 2 pc drive shaft is much of the reason for those clunks in question, and for those reasons, most peoples learn to just live with it because its just the characteristic of mt82 drivetrain. I don't know what is exactly changed within procal calibration but I do agree with you that procal does not change anything within the drivetrain setting on manual cars. However, I'm almost certain that it does change the TPS calibration for better throttle response which somewhere within the tune is causing my "drive train slack" to come alive. I was actually talking to [email protected] and he also agree that the transition within procal calibration for TPS seem too abrupt as long as I am correct about having no issues when stock, which I have NONE fortunately. So, If I take my car into the dealer with procal tune I'm sure something will be fixed because its that excessive, but if I take my car in with factory tune I am sure there will be nothing to fix because there is nothing to be replicated because there's just absolutely zero clunk within the condition I mentioned. I know you are saying there must be something wrong somewhere if I'm having this clunk issue after procal, but to be honest, I don't think I do. I believe this is simply a simple tuning issue that I happen to suffer from using a "tune for all" deal. After all, this is a mail order tune that is not custom calibrated for each and every car. Maybe that's the reason why some get pinging and some don't, and I get more excessive clunk than say xarious who seem to have the same thing going on. Other MT82 guys with procal have zero issues. Maybe all this could be simply fixed with a simple datalog and remote tuning but I guess it is what it is.

------------------------------------

Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by xarius View Post
I had the procal tune installed on my 2013 GT 6M today at a local dealership. So far, it's fantastic. I've run a few pulls from 0 to 80 and it just flat out goes. The low end torque increase really is impressive. I don't hear any unusual sounds or pinging, however I did notice the "clunk" that 5LITER_MUENSTER mentioned, but it's nothing I haven't felt in other cars that have fast RPM drops/engine braking. For me it happens more in 4th, but I was able to duplicate it on a downhill slope in 6th by gently tapping on the gas and releasing. It basically feels like my old 93 GT 5M -- the drive train was just a little "loose" feeling if you goosed the accelerator and let off under the right conditions.

So what would this "pinging" sound like in-car? Obviously the name implies it sounds like "ping", but I'm curious so I can listen out for it.
Nice!

I really like(d) my ProCal tune also. The low-end torque, especially, is amazing. I had a '93 5.0 5M too (mine was a Hatch) and the ProCal felt like my old "drive line" too - a little "slop" on throttle press/release - but nothing exaggerated, like described.

In my case, I couldn't get the "ping" to go away. I tried 'octane adjust' N (preferred, more agressive) and Y (more docile) - all it did was make it a little less pronounced. It wasn't bad, but it would usually occur around 4000rpm and go away, as I increased to redline. Then it started happening beginning at 4k RPM, and might come back in a little bit somewhere between 4k RPM and redline.
It was very variable - sometimes a little bit at 4k RPM and that was it. Other times once more, twice more, etc. to redline.

The deciding factor, was putting a fairly good quality NOS Octane Boost for 1 tankful. The NOS product is about "middle of the pack" of the manufacturers who make it, so should have noticed some change. I didn't. Same "ping." So it doesn't seem related to the octane amount in the fuel, at all.

At that point, I pulled the K&N and the ProCal. I'm stock now. Believe me, if you 'ping' - you'll know. Like "BBs in a can" sound. Mine was slight, but there - and repeatable. But it varied a lot from 4k RPM, on up.

Funny thing is, I ran a '72 Mach I that had been refitted with a pushrod 5.0 (like our Fox's) and some mods, today. This motor must be getting more broken in as I'm passing 9600 miles, because he was pulling away from me slightly (he had a 5M) because my Pilot Sport AS Pluses wouldn't hook much at all thru 2nd/3rd gears (we went from a roll, with me in 2nd)! Finally, when I hit 4th, they grabbed - and I took him "real sudden-like!" He said when he was half-way thru 3rd and I was blasting by, he knew he was in trouble.

Car's running fine without any tune at all - I kinda' miss it, but I just don't think my car 'likes' it. Those whose cars do - enjoy it!

2013 GT Premium - DIB | 6MT | 3.73 | Brembo and Suspension Package | HID | Security Package |
GT500 AB (SVT Sport) | FRPP Pro Cal tune

Previous:
2006 Red Monte Carlo SS (traded for the new GT 5.0)
1993 Red Stang LX | 5.0 | 5MT | Hatch
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xarius View Post
I had the procal tune installed on my 2013 GT 6M today at a local dealership. So far, it's fantastic. I've run a few pulls from 0 to 80 and it just flat out goes. The low end torque increase really is impressive.
Congrats and glad you like it, that's exactly what I felt and still feel for mine, just an awesome tune.

2011 Ford Mustang V8 5.0 GT/CS Black Coupe MT - (Mods in my profile, too many to list here...)
"Don't wait for tomorrow to look back and wish for today": In Memory of a great guy: Pcfrisch.
GT Member

I've been playing around with octane lately, since it's winter and I can't really get on it too hard anyway. 87 makes the Procal tune rattle like a 70s Dodge under any kind of high load, no surprise. You can get around but you have to take it easy.

However, 89 was sufficient to keep it mostly at bay, with a hair of it at the usual ~4K, momentarily and touch at initial tip-in, momentary also.

I'll run a profile relearn on the 89 and see if I can push the ping back further.

I wanted to see what would happen if I was caught short of high octane on a road trip, say.

2014 Premium GT, SGM, Brembo, Auto, Tech, Comfort, etc. GT500s, Steeda UCA, VMP auto tune, 100 shot on BBR tune, best et: 11.38 at 120.85

2012 GT, Candy Red, Brembo, 3.73, Tech, Comfort, etc. Procal tune, Roush upper, UMI LCAs, Steeda red bracket, GT500s, 28X10X16 Hoosier slicks, best et: 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

This tune is most definitely a very "noticeable" tune. The fact that you can keep your warranty and still have fun is no brainer. I remember awhile back there was a guy who ran 11's on corral with just procal and drags. It goes to show its definitely capable. I just wish ford racing can tweak each cars accordingly even if it means we have to pay extra. Maybe pinging and other issues would be a thing of the past.

----------------------------------

imyopusha

I've enjoyed my pro cal tune. Definitely faster. My QM time is down to 12.7... Maybe it is the cooler temperatures, but I am getting 0.3 secs faster since I've pt in the tune. I did it myself. I am not sure why people on here are getting dealers to do it. All it is just loading 1s and 0s. Yeah, I get that 6th gear thump, but easing a little gas when shifting mitigates the issue all together. Overall I would rate the tune a B+. Not bad at all.
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imyopusha View Post
I am not sure why people on here are getting dealers to do it. All it is just loading 1s and 0s.
The reason I had the dealer load it was to get the FRPP warranty:

" Performance Packs and Components are warranted for factory-supplied material or workmanship, when
installed on a late model Ford vehicles by an authorized Ford or Lincoln Dealer or Shelby Automotive, Inc,

beginning upon dealer installation and registration of the part(s) with Ford Racing for the balance of 3 years or
36,000 miles / 60,000 kilometres, whichever occurs first, from the start date of the manufacturer's New Vehicle
Limited Warranty."

"This limited warranty requires that parts must be purchased from an
authorized Ford Racing Dealer and installed by a Ford or Lincoln Dealer, or Shelby
Automotive, Inc.
Proof of purchase may be required for submission of warranty claims.
Registration for this warranty must be submitted by a Ford Dealer, or Shelby Automotive, Inc.
through the Ford Performance Call Center (800)367-3788 or [email protected] with Dealer
P&A Code, the vehicle identification number (VIN), part installation repair order and date, Ford
Racing part number, and owner information."

http://www.fordracingparts.com/annou...2012_Packs.pdf

Candy Apple Red, Auto, FRPP Tune, GT500 Axlebacks, KONI Yellow Sport (adjustable dampers), FRPP Front and Rear swaybars, Custom Removable 4 Point Roll-Bar, BOSS 302 Low Expansion Brake Lines, Roush side splitters, GT500 spoiler, Redline Tuning hood struts,18" Ford Chromed Aluminum Wheels (9R3Z-1K007-A), Michelin Pilot Super Sports - 235X50X18
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imyopusha View Post
I've enjoyed my pro cal tune. Definitely faster. My QM time is down to 12.7... Maybe it is the cooler temperatures, but I am getting 0.3 secs faster since I've pt in the tune. I did it myself. I am not sure why people on here are getting dealers to do it. All it is just loading 1s and 0s. Yeah, I get that 6th gear thump, but easing a little gas when shifting mitigates the issue all together. Overall I would rate the tune a B+. Not bad at all.
As radio guy said, the reason why most of us get it done at a dealership and pay their sometimes ridiculous fees is for warranty. If you didn't get your dealer to install your procal and faxed ford racing a copy of the RO and receipt of purchase than you will not be covered for warranty. You might as well have went with SCT.

The drive line clunk in my situation with procal has nothing to do while shifting. It does it in 6th gear while cruising when I get on the throttle from coast. Tip in clunk would be another word for it.

GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LITER_MUENSTER View Post

The drive line clunk in my situation with procal has nothing to do while shifting. It does it in 6th gear while cruising when I get on the throttle from coast. Tip in clunk would be another word for it.
I would expect that if you can demonstrate the "clunk," to the Ford dealer that installed your tune, you should be able to at least return the tune/tuner and get your money back - including the instal cost.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page