Question for ProCal Tune owners - Ford Mustang Forum
View Poll Results: Do you like your ProCal Tune?
Yes 25 71.43%
So-So 4 11.43%
No 6 17.14%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-12-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Question for ProCal Tune owners

I might be interested on a ProCal Tune for my stock '11 5.0 GT. Please share me your experience.

2011 Mustang GT Premium, Brembo, 3.73 & Std. transmission, Steeda Sport springs & KONI STRT. GT500 strut mounts, 275/40R19 Michelin Pilot Super Sport, HAWK HPS + ATE DOT 4, Rear CS style pedestal spoiler. Eleanor style side scoops, "C" style side decals, Black AM BOSS style roof vinyl, black hood custom vinyl & Black pony.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-12-2012
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Check this out.....11's with the ProCal - Finally!!! - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

My car runs great with it.....I wish they would offer more ''levels'' with the tune, such as an off-road pipe option. But, I realize they can only do so much and be able to offer a warranty.

2015 Gt with perf pack/Guard Green/MBRP race exhaust/Steeda shifter bracket/ ....... more to come

Originally Posted by cudaman ........
Let's hope you don't have the same problem with your zipper and your fueling rod, should you run into another female in a Camaro that needs genetic gas.
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012
Apprentice
5.0L Member

If you are going to do more then just ford racing parts it isn't for you.

I have mine sitting in my garage collecting dust and have the bama tuner now.

2011 gt/cs with Ford racing axle back exhaust, Jlt intake, bama tuner, Arh headers catless x pipe (took out resonators as well with straight pipe)
20% tint
425/397 before resonators taken out

post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Better than stock but left a lot on the table. Went from the procal, to Bama, to a dyno tune. I'm very content now.

As others have mentioned, if your planning more mods down the road, save a buck and skip the procal.

15 F22 M235i, JB4 Stage II, Cat delete, CAI
12 GT Prem 5.0 (Sold)
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I am freaking PISSED! I just got a call from my dealer stating that my car was ready, I asked how much was the damage? Their answer...$225 plus tax!!! I almost had a freaking heart attack. I never bothered to ask how much the install was going to be since over $200 didn't even come to mind for a 30 min job max. Op, make sure you find out how much the install is going to be before you take her in. I haven't picked my car back up yet but hopefully it will be as good as some peoples make it all to be.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2

2013 Deep Impact Blue Metallic MT-82 401a
DiabloSport in tune - AirAid CAI - SVT GT500 AB - Ford Racing P springs - Forgestar F14 - Roush rear/side splitters - Stillen chin splitter - CS Fascia conversion - LED fog delete - 2 much 2 list.... Official mod addict: D
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012
PONY Member

It woke the car up for sure. It was a Ford backed tune, so that was an added plus. However, it was limited as to what you could do in terms of mods, and my car pinged. I moved on to AED.

Mike

2012 Mustang GT M6, tuned by AED. 11.79 @ 116.26 with 3.31 gears.

<------------ Click Under New Orleans for my YouTube videos. Tons of exhaust and drag racing vids with my 2012 GT.
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012
Rookie

I recently had the dealer install the Procal. Now my car pings more than I like, and there's nothing I can do to reduce it (other than revert to stock settings). I've taken the steps recommended by Ford Racing and by those on this forum, but no luck. I'm going to try one more brand of gas, and if I've still got the ping, the tune is coming off the car. The pinging is more intrusive than I had considered before buying the Procal. It lightly pings intermittantly during normal driving and it moderately pings when I use anything more than half throttle.
If I was hearing impaired, the tune would be perfect! I like the improved throttle response, added torque, and automatic shift characteristics.
For me, one of the big pleasures of driving a GT is the sound it makes. The pinging really has compromised the experience. It's like owning a high-end stereo sound system and hearing static or a hum...even if it is a just a little, it ruins the fun.
Spending the money on the Procal is a gamble. Do you feel lucky? I spent $289 on the tune, and $100 on the dealer install, and that's a big chunk of change for me. I'm pretty disappointed.

2012 Premium GT with glass roof. Bone stock for now.
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

One of the best mods I did on my GT/CS, no ping and a whole different Mustang; it should have come stock that way!

2011 Ford Mustang V8 5.0 GT/CS Black Coupe MT - (Mods in my profile, too many to list here...)
"Don't wait for tomorrow to look back and wish for today": In Memory of a great guy: Pcfrisch.
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012
Apprentice

Absolutely the best mod I've done. I installed it myself.. and I'm not at all worried about warranty concerns.
At altitude I'm not getting all the horsepower you sea level folks are. Before the tune I could only get rubber with a hard 1-2 shift. After the tune.. if I'm in first at partial throttle and nail it.. then I spin all the way through to second. It's incredible and it makes me hoot and holler. Then there is removing the 'skip-shift'. That's worth it! From what I hear the other tunes remove the skip-shift.. but not the warning indicator on the dash.

2012 Black GT. Manual with no options. Mods: FRPP Tune, JLT Oil Separator.
GT Member

The FRPP tune with 3.73's and the 19's that come with the brembo package you'll be spinning like a mofo in first, second and even some in 3rd. Much more so than with the 3.31's.
Just FYI.

2012 5.0 Brembo, AED Performance Tune, Lethal Off-Road X, GT500 AB, 3.73, Airaid cai, GT500 SW :yelpleased:
2014 CX-5 Touring
Gone but not forgotten:
2011 Mustang GT|GT500 AB |FRPP Tune|6A
2010 Rav4 V6 | 07 Mazdaspeed3| 04 SRT4| 99 GSXR 750
2012 Camaro SS L99 Gone and forgotten
PONY Member

I like it...13k+ miles with it and car is still running strong...even with ocassional catalytic impingement

Last edited by magnido45; 11-13-2012 at 11:03 PM. Reason: mistype
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LITER_MUENSTER View Post
I am freaking PISSED! I just got a call from my dealer stating that my car was ready, I asked how much was the damage? Their answer...$225 plus tax!!! I almost had a freaking heart attack. I never bothered to ask how much the install was going to be since over $200 didn't even come to mind for a 30 min job max. Op, make sure you find out how much the install is going to be before you take her in. I haven't picked my car back up yet but hopefully it will be as good as some peoples make it all to be.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2
My my dealer charged me $50...and the tune was great..being it kept a warranty!

2012 Black on Black GT
8psi Hellion Single Turbo Kit
ID1000s with a BAP, and GFB controller
Tuned by BBR with GT 500 exhaust no Cats
MGW shifter, Dual aeroforce gauges BMR UCA and Panhard Brace
BBR LCA's and Panhard Bar, AMR wheels
331 gear 552/597 on 7.8 psi
Raptor dual mode shift light
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnido45 View Post
I like it...13k+ miles with it and car is still running strong...even with ocassional catalytic impingement
Enlighten us please on what exactly "catalytic impingement" is....or did you just hear that from one of the Ford Racing techs who also couldn't clearly explain it?

2011 Mustang GT 5.0 Coupe/Brembos/3.73

"I'm also 6'5" and 270 lbs. and could crush a person's bones with my bare hands"
-Jozsefsz

PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cababah View Post
Enlighten us please on what exactly "catalytic impingement" is....or did you just hear that from one of the Ford Racing techs who also couldn't clearly explain it?
Maybe he is talking about cot protection?

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

2013 Deep Impact Blue Metallic MT-82 401a
DiabloSport in tune - AirAid CAI - SVT GT500 AB - Ford Racing P springs - Forgestar F14 - Roush rear/side splitters - Stillen chin splitter - CS Fascia conversion - LED fog delete - 2 much 2 list.... Official mod addict: D
Rookie

Had the Procal tune when the car was near stock. Added the supercharger and now using the procal 624hp tune. Love them both, no problems with either. Racked up about 15k miles on the NA tune and about 10k on the blower tune.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page