2011 Navigation Bluetooth MAP Profile Upgrade - Ford Mustang Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012 Thread Starter
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member
 
WhiteBird00's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: Jacksonville
Posts: 1,433
 
2011 Navigation Bluetooth MAP Profile Upgrade

It seems that getting a phone upgrade ranks up there with buying a car as one of the most annoying ways to spend an afternoon. By the time all the paperwork was signed and new phones were in hand, almost three hours of our Saturday had been wasted.

Anyway, I got a Galaxy S-II partly because I had read that it supports the Bluetooth MAP profile that allows SYNC to receive text messages. I have seen various posts about how it is necessary to turn on the MAP profile in SYNC first before SMS will work with the phone.

What I wasn't prepared for was that apparently there is no menu option to turn on the MAP profile in a 2011 nav equipped vehicle. It seems that non-nav vehicles can be upgraded from version 3.1 to version 3.2.2 to get MAP capability but nav vehicles have no such upgrade available. This is disappointing - you spend an extra $2K to get the best electronics available and yet Ford ignores us and only upgrades the basic systems.

Has anyone found out about getting a SYNC upgrade in a nav system? The most recent discussion I could find was about 10 months old so maybe things have changed?

Ford... are you listening?


2011 Pony Pkg. convertible M6
2000 Trans Am WS7 (sold)
WhiteBird00 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012
Apprentice
 
Strat4477's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Columbus
Posts: 51
 
I don't think any 2011 can upgrade (none NAV included)


2011 Mustang Kona Blue V6 Premium - A/T, Magnaflow Street Axlebacks, MCA Billet Grill, GT/CS Wheels, DG Customs quarter window louvers, 93 Bama Tuned, 35% Tint
Strat4477 is offline  
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012 Thread Starter
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member
 
WhiteBird00's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: Jacksonville
Posts: 1,433
 
No, I've seen several people post on various forums (mostly Android forums) that they have successfully updated a non-nav SYNC system to 3.2.2 and then been able to use SMS with a variety of Android phones (including the Galaxy S II).

2011 Pony Pkg. convertible M6
2000 Trans Am WS7 (sold)
WhiteBird00 is offline  
 
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012
Apprentice
 
Strat4477's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Columbus
Posts: 51
 
It looks like for non-NAV 2011s there is an update to 3.1.4 but I haven't seen anything about them upgrading to 3.2 and I've also seen Ford people say they won't ever be able to.

It does appear that the MAP profiling is available with 3.1.4 though but that it is not listed in the description of the update though maybe someone who has the update on the forum can confirm this?


Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteBird00 View Post
No, I've seen several people post on various forums (mostly Android forums) that they have successfully updated a non-nav SYNC system to 3.2.2 and then been able to use SMS with a variety of Android phones (including the Galaxy S II).

2011 Mustang Kona Blue V6 Premium - A/T, Magnaflow Street Axlebacks, MCA Billet Grill, GT/CS Wheels, DG Customs quarter window louvers, 93 Bama Tuned, 35% Tint
Strat4477 is offline  
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012 Thread Starter
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member
 
WhiteBird00's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: Jacksonville
Posts: 1,433
 
According to the SYNC Community forum, there is both a 3.2.2 and a 3.1.4 version of the software - I guess depending on what was on your system from the factory. A user there had 3.1.4 installed by the dealer on his 2011 Mustang (non-nav) and then could use MAP profile. He (and a couple of others) say they found that the update was for dealer installation only and could not be downloaded from the SYNC site.

I would call my dealer to ask about this but I know they won't have a clue. I'm hoping someone with a 2011 nav-equipped Mustang will be able to confirm such an update (whether 3.1.4 or 3.2.2) is available and works.

2011 Pony Pkg. convertible M6
2000 Trans Am WS7 (sold)
WhiteBird00 is offline  
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012
GT Member
 
Elite_Deforce's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: Montreal
Posts: 2,492
 
I just upgraded my non-nav SYNC last week...

-2012 Grabber Blue GT 6M Premium w/ Brembos, Glass Roof, HID security pkg, Rear Camera, 401a, FRPP GT500 Axle-backs, Front Pioneer TS-D6802R speakers, JHR bracket, Bondra clutch extension.
-1986 Mazda RX-7 GX - Fast Mirage 16" Wheels, Sumo Firenza 205/60R Tires, slotted brakes + performance pads. Otherwise factory stock.
-2008 Mazda Mazda3 GT Sport - Stock, 5MT.
-2004 Volvo XC90 T5 - Comfort pkg, safety pkg.
-1995 Infiniti G20 - Sold, Pioneer head unit, lighting mods, miss it dearly.
Elite_Deforce is offline  
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012
opq
PONY Member
 
opq's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: PNW
Posts: 359
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elite_Deforce View Post
I just upgraded my non-nav SYNC last week...
You don't have a 2011. This lack of updates is really to do with the 2011 model year.
opq is offline  
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012
opq
PONY Member
 
opq's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: PNW
Posts: 359
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteBird00 View Post
According to the SYNC Community forum, there is both a 3.2.2 and a 3.1.4 version of the software - I guess depending on what was on your system from the factory. A user there had 3.1.4 installed by the dealer on his 2011 Mustang (non-nav) and then could use MAP profile. He (and a couple of others) say they found that the update was for dealer installation only and could not be downloaded from the SYNC site.

I would call my dealer to ask about this but I know they won't have a clue. I'm hoping someone with a 2011 nav-equipped Mustang will be able to confirm such an update (whether 3.1.4 or 3.2.2) is available and works.
Same here. My dealer pointed me to the SYNCmyride website. Apparently some dealers have charged $75 to upgrade the car...
opq is offline  
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012
Rookie
 
dafoshizzle's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Location: Philly
Posts: 28
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteBird00 View Post
It seems that getting a phone upgrade ranks up there with buying a car as one of the most annoying ways to spend an afternoon. By the time all the paperwork was signed and new phones were in hand, almost three hours of our Saturday had been wasted.

Anyway, I got a Galaxy S-II partly because I had read that it supports the Bluetooth MAP profile that allows SYNC to receive text messages. I have seen various posts about how it is necessary to turn on the MAP profile in SYNC first before SMS will work with the phone.

What I wasn't prepared for was that apparently there is no menu option to turn on the MAP profile in a 2011 nav equipped vehicle. It seems that non-nav vehicles can be upgraded from version 3.1 to version 3.2.2 to get MAP capability but nav vehicles have no such upgrade available. This is disappointing - you spend an extra $2K to get the best electronics available and yet Ford ignores us and only upgrades the basic systems.

Has anyone found out about getting a SYNC upgrade in a nav system? The most recent discussion I could find was about 10 months old so maybe things have changed?

Ford... are you listening?
Just out of curiosity, if you have the indash nav built in, can I ask why you're trying to get this to work? I understand that, it should just work as it is, but what is your specific reason?
dafoshizzle is offline  
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012 Thread Starter
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member
 
WhiteBird00's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: Jacksonville
Posts: 1,433
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dafoshizzle View Post
Just out of curiosity, if you have the indash nav built in, can I ask why you're trying to get this to work? I understand that, it should just work as it is, but what is your specific reason?
Having nav doesn't really have any bearing on being able to receive text messages. As far as SYNC is concerned, text messages never happened - I hear a beep from my phone but nothing in the car responds in any way.

I almost never use texting in the way a teenage girl does but I have set up servers and other systems in our office to text me in the case of problems - kind of like pagers in the old days. Some messages require immediate attention while others can wait or are just informational. It would be very helpful to have those messages read to me when they arrive so I can determine if I have to turn around and head back to the office right away.

I certainly wouldn't do anything as foolish as trying to read a text message while driving and I would rather not pull over to read a message that might be just a minor problem.

2011 Pony Pkg. convertible M6
2000 Trans Am WS7 (sold)
WhiteBird00 is offline  
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member
 
5.0 Candy REDCS's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,405
 
" I certainly wouldn't do anything as foolish as trying to read a text message while driving" that right there IS the best answer your mustang wants to hear you say... lady at work heading to work last week got a text from her daughter letting her know she was heading to her friend's house... in the time it took her to read it, she finished rear ending a Dodge pickup truck,zero damage to the truck, approx $4,000 damage to her front end to her Kia

2011 GTCS Candy Red;Premium leather interior package, Remote start, security package, upgraded speakers, 6MT 3:55. 35% tint all around, Borla "S" axle backs, & clear corners.
The rest is all FORD
5.0 Candy REDCS is offline  
Rookie
S197 Member
 
rootman's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: Harlem
Posts: 7
 
I have a 2011 with out nav and the sync can do a lot more than I understand, including receiving text through sync. My daughter was visiting and I took her to lunch. While driving my phone received a text and my daughter pressed a few buttons on the radio
and next thing I know the text was being spoken over the speakers. Just saying you might seek a young persons advice.
rootman is offline  
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012 Thread Starter
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member
 
WhiteBird00's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: Jacksonville
Posts: 1,433
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootman View Post
I have a 2011 with out nav and the sync can do a lot more than I understand, including receiving text through sync. My daughter was visiting and I took her to lunch. While driving my phone received a text and my daughter pressed a few buttons on the radio
and next thing I know the text was being spoken over the speakers. Just saying you might seek a young persons advice.
Thank you but I'm the IT Director for my company so I'm somewhat familiar with technology. (But I have been known to make the same suggestion to people on occasion)

In order to make SMS work with SYNC, it is necessary to enable the MAP profile in the car. Unfortunately, the "Enable MAP" menu option in the Advanced Settings menu is not available in the version 3.1 software currently installed in my car. Upgrading to 3.1.4 or 3.2.2 (as appropriate) gives you that menu option. It has been documented to work in non-nav systems so I'm looking for someone who has made it work with a 2011 nav-equipped car.

2011 Pony Pkg. convertible M6
2000 Trans Am WS7 (sold)
WhiteBird00 is offline  
Rookie
S197 Member
 
kozumasbullitt's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 43
 
subscribed, I have the same problem with an 11 with v 3.1 only available.

1997 Supercharged V6/V8 conversion- Sold
2002 Supercharged GT- Sold
1993 5.0 GT- Rip
2011 Gt500
kozumasbullitt is offline  
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012 Thread Starter
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member
 
WhiteBird00's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: Jacksonville
Posts: 1,433
 
I finally got frustrated enough to risk calling Ford customer service (risking even more frustration). I was lucky enough to get a sympathetic agent who was willing to dig deeper than the normal scripted responses. Apparently they have multiple systems that show upgrade availabilities. He check a couple of them at first and they said there was no upgrade for my car (just like Ford's Sync website). But then he went on to check another system called PTS and it shows that there is a dealer-install upgrade "Gen 1 version 3.1.4" available for my car. He said I should call the dealer and ask them to download the update from PTS and install it for me.

I will be taking my car to the dealer next week to see if it works.

I'll admit that I had to stretch the truth a little to get him to look deeper... he asked if I got my information from some online forum and I told him that I had seen it working on a 2011 at the local Mustang club meeting.


2011 Pony Pkg. convertible M6
2000 Trans Am WS7 (sold)
WhiteBird00 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
 


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1