Refused delivery due to front bumper damage - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

The real problem is, employees during work hours think more of unloading "product" than other people's purchases,without placing blame on anyone in particular.
It's quite a chain; this could have happened during the loading process,OR before for that matter... driving over a fairly high ramp,or at too high a speed that the front end "scraped".
During unloading is also a possibility,OR after it was unloaded and a car jocked scraped the underneath when he got it too close to a parking lot raised concrete end block... he probably parked many other cars in this same spot and never scraped, but the lower front end of a mustang was just that much lower and DID scrape... doubt he will run up to his manager and tell him he scraped a new car,that's the perspective of probability!

However this happened does NOT matter to you,the fact is that it DID happen to the car you are about to buy as BRAND NEW,and as much as offers of "repairs" are tangible,I much rather hear "replace with new part" from dealer...so yes, your stance is valid and expected.

I bought a lawn tractor (22 HP top of the line John Deere) for just over $4,500 this summer for my cottage... I was notified my tractor had arrived and I can go pick it up the following day, AFTER it cleared inspection and spec adjustments.
When I went to pick it up,I inspected it myself with the salesman,and lo and behold a major dent in the tub body; some 4" x 6" next to the drive selection lever,and this was NOT underneath,but right in easy view was staring right at me!
Essentially,I was offered a $200 deduction,which I turned down,and demanded the tub be replaced with new... 2 months later a service tech called me and said he'll be dropping by,took the dented tub off and replaced with new.
The point I mention this is: it's a $4,500 lawn tractor, not a $40,000 NEW car...problem solved to my satisfaction,even if they offered me a $1,000 deduction,I still would have turned the offer down, but that's just me

2011 GTCS Candy Red;Premium leather interior package, Remote start, security package, upgraded speakers, 6MT 3:55. 35% tint all around, Borla "S" axle backs, & clear corners.
The rest is all FORD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

PONY Member

i did miss the part about it being gashes. if there wayvof fixing it was touch up paint then yes i would have walked as well...inwould have walked if it had the holes and they wouldnt fix...BUT if they fixed it and i couldnt but knew they didnt replace the bumper, id be fine with that. which im actually dealing with right now on my wifes car. we test drove a bunch of cars decided on ine found a good deal on one, went at night when banks were closed but filled out all the paper work, went home and heard the next afternoon she was approved and they delivered it to her but it was dark and i was not there to do inspection...well the next day i notice some issues with it...back bumper is a mess like some dragged it in gravel...called the dealer and brought it back and they are fixing it...i.e. repainting the bumper, it doesnt justify a new one just some smoothing of the plastic and some paint...it will be good as new.

now if they offered to make it right and order a new plastic piece, yeah 60 min drive kind of blows, but f*uck its in your new mustang, talk about an excuse to drive :-) 60 mins aint bad, my commute to work is 50.

someone else made a point you agreed with...if the dealer would have properly fixed the bumper and plastic piece you WOULD NEVER know...this is true. but you cant stand knowing this happened as it its a ruined malested car...but its really not its a car with pieces fixed with new pieces. this brings me make to my entitlement point. because you said not knowing that if the car was fixed would allow you to be in blissful ignorance, but since you knew it was going to be fixed it just wasnt the same, especially because it required a little un expected effort on your part to make it happen. i was also talking in general about the entitlent point, but it shared triats with how you view this situation, go look at the countless wreck threads on here...someone gets into an accident and has damage on it...majoirty of people are like, get them to total the car out, it can never be fixed the same if they wont total it then get like 6-8k in diminshed value...its nuts, its a damn car and a good body shop can put things right majority of the time. its the knowing part that creates this i believe and because people love thier car so much having it fixed sours that....but its not the real world, in the real world is hunks of metal and some bolts.

someone else also said and is correct that the guys at the dealer are there to collect a min wage paycheck so its just a car to them and the quucker they get the job done the quicker they can get to the rest of the big ass list of things to do that thier boss left them or maybe thier smoke break or what ever. this mentality also goes beyond the dealer...do you think i hunt for an end spot, adjust my mirror to be against the curb and leave as much spacs between my car and the other car? or thar i park in the deserted parks of the parking lot because i want to get the scenic view of the whole parking lot on the way into where ever im going? NO, because most people dont give 2 sh!ts about cars and actually keeping them in great condition, i dont get it...people will spend thousands and drag thier purse along thier car or whatever. which is fine, but for them not to respect my car as if i have the same mentality drives me NUTS, thus hunting for soots occurs.

i do agree that touch up paint is NOT acceptable as a fix, but a correct paint job and a new plastic piece should be considered acceptable and maybe a tank of gas or something for the trouble but beyond that i think is starting to take advantage....

but i understand your mind set, i will be taking deliverlynof my car late next month...and i have already discussed with the salesman..that NO one will touch my cat beyond driving it off the truck and parking it...pre-deliverly inspection and wash will only be done by me at the dealer and i can bring and use my own soap, wash mit and towels...i will be doing everything, pulling plastics and foam off and everything else, because i dont want the guys at the dealership who have dropped the mit on the ground to just pick it up and keep using it on the car or the nasty towels that have been dropped on the ground. No one will be touching the car but me...so i get it :-)

Sent from my SGH-T989 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

glock22357

This is pretty silly in my opinion. And this is just my opinion, don't freak out over it if you disagree.

It's simple damage that is easy to fix at the body shop, absolutely no big deal. The dealership woulld have supplied the OP with a written, legally binding IOU for fixing it, and he could have been off and on his way to enjoy his car. And it sounds like the dealership was OK with a dealership closer to his home fixing it, which would mean the original dealership paying for it.

I am OCD about my car, but Christ Almighty, simple damage is no big deal.

Expecting tons of money off the car, an extended warranty, replacing the bumper, etc., for easily repairable damage is just silly stuff.

The OP had a good deal, and blew it over nothing.

Banned

I would have pushed for the new parts, but that's it. Additional amounts of money back and a free extended warranty is excessive. Last I knew a 100K exteneded warranty was worth about $1800 or more.

Unfortunately you can cut off your nose to spite your face. Now you don't have the car you wanted and that damage could have easily happened later on driving down the road. So this is kind of a no win situation.

I live in the south bay area too. If you are going to attempt to order again for a 2014, I would recommend The Ford Store in Morgan Hill. They are excellent and always discount off the MSRP. No mark-ups. PM me if interested and I will give you the name of a no-nonsense premier salesperson there who knows and drives performance cars. Perhaps they could even find you a 2013.

And no, I don't work for them. Just a happy customer with both sales and service.
Rookie

I'd have had a new bumper cover, chin spoiler, etc. swapped out and taken delivery. UA Black is an easy color to match up. If there was another black Mustang on the lot, I might have tried to have them swap out the damaged parts. Sure would not have been a deal breaker.

2013 Roush RS3 - Black
2010 F150 Platinum - Black
1967 ChevyII/Nova Pro Street - tube chassis - 750+hp- black
PONY Member

Honestly, if they can replace the bumper/plastic chin piece with new OEM pieces...you should do it. Give them options to make it right.

When it's completed, make sure to look at it under all light conditions (outside, inside, etc) and check to make sure it matches correctly. If it checks out, buy that baby!

2013 Mustang GT - 402A GT/CS - 6R80 - Glass Roof - Engine Block Heater - SGM Exterior - CB/Miko Interior

Steeda Adjustable PHB (Street) and Steeda PH Brace, Stainless Works Retro Catback Exhaust...
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katastrophe View Post
Honestly, if they can replace the bumper/plastic chin piece with new OEM pieces...you should do it. Give them options to make it right.

When it's completed, make sure to look at it under all light conditions (outside, inside, etc) and check to make sure it matches correctly. If it checks out, buy that baby!
I thought that was the problem, they weren't willing to replace and repaint, they only wanted to repair.

OP, I waited not 1 but 8 months for my car, but had it come in damaged and I was given the same options I would have said no thanks as well.

It's sure a good thing it was raining so bad you had to wait to take your test drive! Can you imagine not having found it until after?

Scott | 2012 GT Premium Coupe Performance White 6R80 HID 64M Wheels Ford All-Weather Pony Mats & Trunk Liner GT500/GT Rear Mud Flap Set Ohio's Horses License Plate Raxiom Aero Tails

If you love your dog, get a microchip, they really work! My lost dog was back home in just under 24 hours thanks to the good citizens who called the county and the microchip that told animal control exactly where he lived.
FordService

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesrrdaniel View Post
tl, dr; front bumper and plastic shield underneath it was damaged during delivery. Dealership would only repair the paint and not replace the bumper. So refused delivery...

And another sidenote: Deysha is awesome. She definitely kept me informed of what was happening with the mustang.
PM me, jamesrrdaniel. Let me see what I can find for you.

Deysha
PONY Member

The dealership probably did it. Mine scratched the hell out of my passenger window. I didn't notice until I got home, but luckily my dealership is nice. After a little haggling they replaced it for free.
PONY Member
5.0L Member

I did not read the whole thread but my front spoiler was scratched at delivery. I took the car they just made a work order to fix it, order the part and dropped the car off, they fixed it over a few days. Not a big deal, yeah it was a bit of a unconvince, but I am happy with my car. I would do it over again, life is too short.

2011 Ford Mustang 5.0 California Special
Convertible Auto
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page