Refused delivery due to front bumper damage - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-16-2012 Thread Starter
Rookie

Refused delivery due to front bumper damage

tl, dr; front bumper and plastic shield underneath it was damaged during delivery. Dealership would only repair the paint and not replace the bumper. So refused delivery...

I'm fairly new to the forum. I've been visiting the forum nearly twice a day and just reading. There are tons of information of this forum and I learned a lot.

Recently read "Refused delivery due to front plate mount" earlier this week and thought to myself, "nah, that's not going to happen to me. I'm going to be happy with my new mustang!" Well, you know where this story goes. I had to refuse delivery. I apologize ahead of time for my long spiel.

So I ordered my mustang October 6, 2012. I'm the very lucky one that had the mustang arrive at the dealership today, November 16, 2012. Wow a little over a month, I would say that's superawesometacular!

The dealership was an hour away from my home. There were two reasons for this.
1) The dealership around my home (South Bay Area, California) all have terrible reviews.
2) If I bought the vehicle from this particular dealership, I received extra .25% discount on my auto loan through USAA. (Yes, I'm military, so I got the extra $500 d/c).

So I get there, meet with the saleslady that I was dealing over emails and phone. She and I take the vehicle for a test drive. Before the test drive, I do a quick 360 of the vehicle. The hard thing about conducting the inspection was that it was raining. So, I conduct a rush inspection, thinking that i'm special and no bad things will happen to me. (I guess too much euphoria makes a person think stupid.) I love the test drive, such an awesome car! It was less than a mile, I was eager to sign the paperwork and take it back home. After I park the vehicle, we both head back in and she asks me to sit in her office. I sat around for a while, was a little too overjoyed to be sitting down, and it looked like she was going to take a bit of time, so I go outside again to check my new baby out.

And to my surprise, I see something stand out on the front. I'm not sure what it's called but it's the plastic under the front bumper. "plastic shield?" no idea. Wellps, it's damaged, and it's significant. It's about 2-3" long 1-2" wide gash. I was so shocked... "It's brand new, just got off the truck today, how can it be?!?!" I get the saleslady back and point it out to her. She seems to be shocked herself and gets the service manager. After few minutes, the sales manager comes, takes the vehicle to get it checked out, comes back and tells me because it's plastic, it'll need to be replaced and the piece will arrive next tuesday.
So I'm given two choices:
1) come back when they call me to let me know it's fixed
2) take the vehicle, come back when the part arrives and get it fixed

At this point, I still want the vehicle but I really want to avoid the 60minute drive. So I ask if I can take it to a dealership that's closer to home. SVC MNG leaves to go check and comes back with a yes. Saleslady asks me if I want to go to finance now. I'm hesitant and want to go check the vehicle out again but this time much closer inspection. I start off with the area that was damaged. Then I realized it wasn't just the plastic, but the front bumper. It's damaged too. And it's a deep scratch and was peeling. It was 3-4 2-3" diagonal cuts on top of where the plastic was damaged.

Now I get a bit angry. They told me they did a pre-inspection once the mustang got off the truck and it was detailed. Someone didn't do their job. I ask them why they can't do a complete check and let me know what the damages are. And why it's me finding them and having to point them out. We go back in the office, she gets her supervisor, and she disappears for rest of my time there.

He comes off professional, wanting to fix the problem, and asks what they can do to fix the issue. At this point, I wish I could order another one, but I know the orders has closed. He offers to find a similar vehicle, leaves and comes back with a none. (Black gt premium, track pack, sec pack, recaro seats).
I've been waiting for the mustang with great anticipation and was leaning towards getting it fixed and get some discount. He offered getting the damaged parts fixed and $300 extra. I wanted a better discount, but I was leaning towards taking the deal. Probably was going to ask to add extended warranty or something to sweeten the deal.

Except, they were going to repair the paint and not replace the bumper. I'm no paint expert, but that scratch was deep. Whatever damaged the vehicle was enough to gash the plastic piece, so it was enough to do damage to the paint. I couldn't see myself happily riding the vehicle knowing that the front bumper wasn't perfect. I know, I'm probably a little OCD, but I wanted my mustang perfect.

So I asked for my deposit back and I left... Other than the damage in the front, she was a beauty...
Only regret that I have is that I didn't take pictures of the damage to post here...

I'm not sure if I'll be able to get a mustang. We'll see.

And another sidenote: Deysha is awesome. She definitely kept me informed of what was happening with the mustang.

wow damn... I wrote so much... I guess I needed to vent a little... hah

Last edited by jamesrrdaniel; 11-16-2012 at 08:21 PM. Reason: Added 'long 1-2" wide' to '2-3" long 1-2" wide gash.'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-16-2012
Apprentice

That sucks but a good thing you caught it.

I expect the inspection of your next Mustang to be much more thorough

2008 Black V6 Coupe - Gone
2011 Grabber Blue GT Premium Convertible - Gone
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-16-2012
GT Member

Seems to be a thread this month.

Good on you, OP.

-2012 Grabber Blue GT 6M Premium w/ Brembos, Glass Roof, HID security pkg, Rear Camera, 401a, FRPP GT500 Axle-backs, Front Pioneer TS-D6802R speakers, JHR bracket, Bondra clutch extension.
-1986 Mazda RX-7 GX - Fast Mirage 16" Wheels, Sumo Firenza 205/60R Tires, slotted brakes + performance pads. Otherwise factory stock.
-2008 Mazda Mazda3 GT Sport - Stock, 5MT.
-2004 Volvo XC90 T5 - Comfort pkg, safety pkg.
-1995 Infiniti G20 - Sold, Pioneer head unit, lighting mods, miss it dearly.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-16-2012 Thread Starter
Rookie

Like I said, I wish I could have taken pictures, but you can see from the pictures the dealer sent me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM00.jpg
Views:	1245
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	166848  
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-16-2012
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Good catch! There's no way you should be expected to take delivery of that vehicle the with some kind of a quick fix. I hope you still get your Mustang.

Dave USAF (Ret)
2013 Mustang GT Premium Coupe, Comfort Pkg., Red Candy, Saddle Leather, 6 MT, 3.31s Build date: 20120808, Purchase date: 20121009, Mods: GT500 Axle Back Exhaust, Steeda Black Shift Knob, Redline Hood Struts
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-16-2012
Rookie

Replacement Mustang

I hope you will be able to find another Mustang that is exactly what you want and in perfect condition !
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-17-2012 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by djp2313 View Post
That sucks but a good thing you caught it.

I expect the inspection of your next Mustang to be much more thorough
Most definitely. I wasn't expecting anything. It came off the truck today. They said they conducted pre-inspection and detailed the mustang. I thought they would have the damages themselves or at least try to hide the fact...
I'll definitely do a complete and thorough inspection for whatever vehicle I decide to buy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elite_Deforce View Post
Seems to be a thread this month.

Good on you, OP.
Thank you.
Sadly, it seems the case... I'm not sure why but I know that dealerships in general have bad reputations and reviews, but ford dealerships (domestic) seem to have more negative reviews. Is it just my area? (South Bay Area, Cali)
The two local ford dealerships from my home is terrible... Even if the 60min away dealership's vehicle was $500 cheaper, I would have bought from my local dealer, BUT I don't trust the dealership near me at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013 GT 5.0 View Post
Good catch! There's no way you should be expected to take delivery of that vehicle the with some kind of a quick fix. I hope you still get your Mustang.

Thank you. I thought they would replace the bumper, but nope. Just a touch-up.
Poor schmuck will end up with that vehicle...
The thing is, they told me because the vehicle was delivered today morning, they had 24 hours to make a claim on damages done from delivery and have ford be charged for the damage. Not sure why they wouldn't replace the bumper. I would be driving a mustang if they were going to replace all damaged parts and some reasonable d/c.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeroBeachPony View Post
I hope you will be able to find another Mustang that is exactly what you want and in perfect condition !

I don't know... They did a search and there wasn't a vehicle like the one I ordered...
'13 GT Premium Black/Black with track, security pack and recaro seats.
I'll have to wait for the '14... I don't want to wait 8 months... ugh...
I think I'll end up buying a different car. shucks...
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-17-2012 Thread Starter
Rookie

What would you guys have done?

Would you guys have taken the repair and $300?

Do you think I was being unreasonable to want damaged parts completely replaced and want at least $500 or $300 plus extended warranty, 100,000/5yr.

I ended up wasting 4 hours of my time and my mom's, gas money, frustration, not being completely feel like whole...

What do you guys think?

The other disappoint part is that I realize the dealer is better off not giving me a better deal. They are going to do a touch-up on the bumper and replace the plastic then sell is to a poor schmuck who doesn't know any better. I think some will argue that as long as it's good as new then it's fine. But I think I can argue that "like new" isn't the same as "new." I understand the guy who refused delivery because of the front license bracket. It's just not the same.
I don't know... Maybe I should have taken the deal... gosh I really wanted the vehicle. Sort of wish I did take it and have it in my garage to a certain point... But that nagging feeling... Ugh...
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-17-2012
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesrrdaniel View Post

Do you think I was being unreasonable to want damaged parts completely replaced and want at least $500 or $300 plus extended warranty, 100,000/5yr.

I ended up wasting 4 hours of my time and my mom's, gas money, frustration, not being completely feel like whole...

What do you guys think?

The other disappoint part is that I realize the dealer is better off not giving me a better deal. They are going to do a touch-up on the bumper and replace the plastic then sell is to a poor schmuck who doesn't know any better. I think some will argue that as long as it's good as new then it's fine. But I think I can argue that "like new" isn't the same as "new." I understand the guy who refused delivery because of the front license bracket. It's just not the same.
I don't know... Maybe I should have taken the deal... gosh I really wanted the vehicle. Sort of wish I did take it and have it in my garage to a certain point... But that nagging feeling... Ugh...
Not at all unreasonable.

-2012 Grabber Blue GT 6M Premium w/ Brembos, Glass Roof, HID security pkg, Rear Camera, 401a, FRPP GT500 Axle-backs, Front Pioneer TS-D6802R speakers, JHR bracket, Bondra clutch extension.
-1986 Mazda RX-7 GX - Fast Mirage 16" Wheels, Sumo Firenza 205/60R Tires, slotted brakes + performance pads. Otherwise factory stock.
-2008 Mazda Mazda3 GT Sport - Stock, 5MT.
-2004 Volvo XC90 T5 - Comfort pkg, safety pkg.
-1995 Infiniti G20 - Sold, Pioneer head unit, lighting mods, miss it dearly.
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesrrdaniel View Post

What do you guys think?

so let me get this striaght...

you'd want a complete front bumper replacement, a discount and an extended warrenty over drilled holes in the bumper?

yes thats super unreasonble...i really think them fixing the bumper by completely replacing it would be enough and maybe some free oil changes or something...or maybe a couple hundred bucks off, 500 + extended warranty, is really pushing it...why in gods name should they give you an extended warranty, for 4 drilled holes, when they agreed to fix them?

yes i get you spent time and gas to deal with this and it sucks, but understand its life. so what happens when you buy a product say a nice shirt and you take it home and notice its got a hole. would you take it back and demand money out of the register? i hope not, its life and its the implied risk of buying something and having to deal with any issues.

also fyi, no court will pay you compensation for your time, because its subjective...because there is nothing to say you dont value your time at $1,000 an hour and vise versa, there is nothing to say the dealer cant value your time at $1.00 an hour...so they wont pay it. Now if you had a signed contract saying if any issues arise with deliverly of this car and the dealer agrees to pay you $20.00 an hour for dealing with this, you'd have something to work with.

it sucks, but it is what it is...

and its a CAR, a new bumper that is painted well, is NO different then factory (you realize its the same process for the factory and they are painted seperately and then put together right?)!!!!! I have no idea where this sense of entitlement came from lately, that if there is damage to the car and its fixed properly by a good body shop, why all of the sudden you deserve a whole new car or massive checks!!! again its implied that when you choose to drive on the road your accepting the risk that something can and more then likely will happen to it...while i love my cars, its still JUST a car.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-17-2012 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by skulls View Post
so let me get this striaght...

you'd want a complete front bumper replacement, a discount and an extended warrenty over drilled holes in the bumper?

yes thats super unreasonble...i really think them fixing the bumper by completely replacing it would be enough and maybe some free oil changes or something...or maybe a couple hundred bucks off, 500 + extended warranty, is really pushing it...why in gods name should they give you an extended warranty, for 4 drilled holes, when they agreed to fix them?

yes i get you spent time and gas to deal with this and it sucks, but understand its life. so what happens when you buy a product say a nice shirt and you take it home and notice its got a hole. would you take it back and demand money out of the register? i hope not, its life and its the implied risk of buying something and having to deal with any issues.

also fyi, no court will pay you compensation for your time, because its subjective...because there is nothing to say you dont value your time at $1,000 an hour and vise versa, there is nothing to say the dealer cant value your time at $1.00 an hour...so they wont pay it. Now if you had a signed contract saying if any issues arise with deliverly of this car and the dealer agrees to pay you $20.00 an hour for dealing with this, you'd have something to work with.

it sucks, but it is what it is...

and its a CAR, a new bumper that is painted well, is NO different then factory (you realize its the same process for the factory and they are painted seperately and then put together right?)!!!!! I have no idea where this sense of entitlement came from lately, that if there is damage to the car and its fixed properly by a good body shop, why all of the sudden you deserve a whole new car or massive checks!!! again its implied that when you choose to drive on the road your accepting the risk that something can and more then likely will happen to it...while i love my cars, its still JUST a car.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

I think you misread some parts...

Point 1: (more of a clarification)
I wouldn't have minded 4 drilled holes, if it was for the front license plate bracket...
I apologize my story was pretty long to read completely, but no it wasn't drilled. It was damaged during transportation. (yah, I wish I took pictures...) That's what they said when I pointed out the gashes. (And I would like to point out, gashes isn't scratches. When I say gashes, I'm not talking about thin but long scratches. Gashes meaning 1-2" wide.) The plastic, they said they will replace. Cool. But the bumper no. They were just going to do a repair. You see, if it was a minor scratch, I would be like "ehh... okay I'll take it plus the 300". But it was really deep and wide. I wanted the bumper replaced.
And I know 200 is pittance to the total of the car, but I said either 500 or 300+warranty. So, warranty instead or 200 more. They could have turned it down. I was trying to get a better deal. That wasn't the deal breaker. The deal breaker was they weren't going to replace the bumper.

Point 2:
They agreed to fix it but not to my liking. Hence, I walked.

Point 3:
You bring up an analogy, so I would like to make one too. You're at a clothing store. You pre-ordered a custom shirt online for an in-store pickup. You get a notice that it has arrived and you go to the store. You get to the store and observe the shirt. You see that the shirt has been damaged with holes in them. The store offers to patch it up. They still ask for full price. I didn't take the shirt home yet. Still in store, haven't paid yet.
Again, I ask you, is "like-new" same as "new"? I guess to some people, it's yes. But to me, it's not the same. There's a difference. If there wasn't, why bother calling it "like-new." Is it wrong for you to ask for a discount on the shirt?
A lot of times, damaged goods or returned goods that are "like-new" will go into the clearance section. Depending on the difference of "like-new" and "new" price difference.

Point 4:
$500 is only 1.3% of the car price. Is 1% really too much to ask for? If you're asking for $500 when the product is only $1000, I'll say that 50% too much. Subjective.

Point 5:
Entitlement. Ummm... I felt that if I wasn't getting a car that was 100%, I wanted a compensation that met the difference. Of course the dealer and I saw the value of the car differently. I saw at least 1% difference, hence the $500. I don't think I felt entitled for anything... Hence I walked...

Point 6:
Assumption of Risk. I have not yet assumed the risks involved with owning the car. I believe your argument here is invalid. If I owned the car and it was damaged, then I would be responsible for getting it replaced by utilizing my own insurance if it was my fault or insurance of the person that caused it. And I also assumed the risk of possibly not being compensated. But in this case, I have not yet assumed the risks.

Point 7:
Whole new car. I was paying $X amount for a car without any damages or history of damages. If I wasn't going to get that, I expected compensation to meet the difference.

I hope that clarifies some points for you. I apologize if I got a bit lawyer like.

Last edited by jamesrrdaniel; 11-17-2012 at 05:32 AM. Reason: Added to point 6 "But in this case, I have not yet assumed the risks."
PONY Member

I can't see the damage so it's hard to say if I'd accept a repair and not a replacement. looks sort of like the plastic chin part that you have circled.. I can't tell. one thing I might say and the fella before me might have said it already, if the dealer saw this before you did and repaired it you probably would have never known.

I would have asked for the repair/replace to be done and if that met my approval only then would I have accepted delivery of the car. repaired to my satisfaction and a written guarantee saying the repair was covered with the 3/36000yr bumper to bumper and I'd have been good with whatever ($300) or whatever they offered.

I'd feel lucky to find the car I wanted (Grabber Blue GT Premium with glass roof, sec and comfort packages).. and haven't found one so having the car in front of me I wanted and refusing it because of a very small repair or replacement on the chin or lower bumper seems hard to understand, especially since they offered to make it right.

my 2c's, I'm picky and I'll tell you good chance this could have happened to you the first time you pulled up to park and hit a curb as it has to many Mustang owners.. if you want that car, make them fix it and if it looks good jump on it. nothing say's there's not a lot that were repaired in some way before they left the factory...

if you can't stand the idea of a repair and can't find the car you want on the lot, order a 2014 ... of course the lack of initial rebates in the early going would have more than paid for the repairs on this one, that right now wouldn't be coming out of your pocket.

just my thoughts, good luck on the decision.

2011 V6 Premium ,Grabber Blue/White Stripes/Charcoal Black, Auto/2.73, 202A Pony Package, Comfort Package.

Mods, Factory Engine Cover, Ford Strut Tower Brace, 19" Painted Aluminum Wheels/245-45-19 P-Zeros, Wheel Locks, Ford Accessory Alarm, Ford All-Weather Mats, window tint, spare tire/jack, cam cap mod.
on deck... Polk Audio db571 X 4 speakers & baffles
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-17-2012 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by diver88 View Post
I can't see the damage so it's hard to say if I'd accept a repair and not a replacement. looks sort of like the plastic chin part that you have circled.. I can't tell. one thing I might say and the fella before me might have said it already, if the dealer saw this before you did and repaired it you probably would have never known.

I would have asked for the repair/replace to be done and if that met my approval only then would I have accepted delivery of the car. repaired to my satisfaction and a written guarantee saying the repair was covered with the 3/36000yr bumper to bumper and I'd have been good with whatever ($300) or whatever they offered.

I'd feel lucky to find the car I wanted (Grabber Blue GT Premium with glass roof, sec and comfort packages).. and haven't found one so having the car in front of me I wanted and refusing it because of a very small repair or replacement on the chin or lower bumper seems hard to understand, especially since they offered to make it right.

my 2c's, I'm picky and I'll tell you good chance this could have happened to you the first time you pulled up to park and hit a curb as it has to many Mustang owners.. if you want that car, make them fix it and if it looks good jump on it. nothing say's there's not a lot that were repaired in some way before they left the factory...

if you can't stand the idea of a repair and can't find the car you want on the lot, order a 2014 ... of course the lack of initial rebates in the early going would have more than paid for the repairs on this one, that right now wouldn't be coming out of your pocket.

just my thoughts, good luck on the decision.

Thank you for the last sentence.

I'm trying not to be dramatic but it looked like the plastic was chewed up. Again, I keep saying gash not scratch. It wasn't a scratch!

And you're right. I think I should have went with the route that you suggested. Get a written statement. But at that moment I was just fed up, angry, so probably not thinking straight.
1. I felt they tried to pull a fast one on me
2. Did not want to make another 2 hour commute
3. Didn't feel the car was 100% after this. (sure, some might argue it was 99.99%. Gosh, at least let me turn it into that.)

I think for me it's when you get a brand new iphone. First time you drop it, you're really sad. The second time, not so much. But let's say before you bought it, someone drops it, fixes it but still asks for full price. Uhm, I don't want that one. Can I please get a different one that didn't have to get fixed. Allow me to be the one to drop it first. I believe paying for a certain price means not only you buy the right to use it but also the right to do the very next damage to it.
Okay, maybe I'm just crazy/psychotic as skulls says... jeez...
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-17-2012 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by diver88 View Post
one thing I might say and the fella before me might have said it already, if the dealer saw this before you did and repaired it you probably would have never known.

Honestly... I wish this was the case... Holy **** why couldn't they have found it first and fixed it all and not let me know... (It pisses me off cuz they said they completed pre-inspection upon taking delivery from the truck and detailed the car... Uh no you didn't... This irks me to no end)

Ignorance is bliss... And I hundred percent agree with you on this.

I would still be in euphoria with a nice sexy mustang in my garage.
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Garage
When anyone "Orders" a car, it should be perfect. As to whether one should
take an apology and extra's it's up to the individual. That's my 2 cents.

2012 Candy Red 3.7 Cyclone {RIP}
2014 3.7 Cyclone DIB\BMR rear lca;s\ American Racing razor 18x9\275/40/18 Yokohama S-drives\Boss 302 strut brace\Airaid "tube"& aFe inverted Dry-S drop-in\UPR catch can\Koni sports\J&M cc plates\DSS 3.5" 1 piece
Bassani\BMR adj. panhard\
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page