Can I drive my 2013 GT in the snow? - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
GT Member
Classic Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsadams87xx View Post
Bottom line, I'd rather be around a smart driver with RWD and summer only tires in the snow than an idiot with snow tires in light fluff and FWD. Just be careful no matter what route you go.
+1

Could not agree more with that statement.

Rob

2012 Kona Blue GT Premium 401A, Manual, 3.55, Steeda Pro-Action Shocks, Struts, Sport Springs, LCAs, Adjustable Swaybars, Adjustable Panhard Bar, BMR Relocation Brackets and Adjustable UCA, Driveshaft Shop Aluminum Drive Shaft, Airaid CAI, MGW Shifter, GT500 Axle-Backs, 3M Clear Bra and Tint, Side Window Louvers, JLT Oil Separator, Staggered MMD Zeven Wheels and Mickey Thompson Street Comp Tires, Bama 93 Race Tune
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

PONY Member

I drove mine in the snow for the first time, it was a few inches of slushy snow and I have MT street comps in the rear and Pzeros in the front. It was tricky to get it in motion, but very easy to control when it was sliding around. It was also the first time I went sideways down the block in front of a cop .

2011 Mustang GT - 6 Speed, White, Brembo package
Vortech v3si, homemade intake, Koni yellows, GT500 strut mounts and mufflers, BBK LCAs, Barton 2 post, MT Street Comp tires 255F 285R
567hp/460ft*lb wheel [email protected] / 1.883 60' ([email protected])
1973 Mustang Mach 1- Fuel injected 351c, toploader 4 speed, 9" trac-lok, Hotrod Flatz OD green
Rookie

I agree with most of the above --- you CAN drive in the snow, depending on your ability.

The two things to remember are the depth of the snow and if you have to get up a hill after a dead stop. There is not a lot of clearance under the cars, so if you have more than 5" or so, it becomes more interesting. And if you have to stop at the bottom of a hill and try to accelerate, it can be tough, especially if it's backed up and stop and go.

Apprentice

I'm in TX now, but drove my '93 LX 5.0 5M Hatch for years in the Colorado snow. So - 4 tips:

1) Drive on only M+S or all season tires
2) Keep your gas tank full on snow days (weight in back)
4) Short shift! Stay below 2300 rpm or so for each gear
5) Don't downshift! Use brakes instead - engine compression = bad.

2013 GT Premium - DIB | 6MT | 3.73 | Brembo and Suspension Package | HID | Security Package |
GT500 AB (SVT Sport) | FRPP Pro Cal tune

Previous:
2006 Red Monte Carlo SS (traded for the new GT 5.0)
1993 Red Stang LX | 5.0 | 5MT | Hatch
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by quikshifter View Post
i drove it during a freak snow storm 2 weeks ago in NYC - about 4 inches of snow and still snowing.. It goes forward fine/gentle turns but not in reverse - making a turn took a while before i could get it to back up, same with parallel parking... The rear wheels just spin since there is no weight.
I have always used cinder blocks in the trunk during snow travel. You just need weight above the tires.

RT
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013MustangGT View Post
Hello, I was just wondering If the stock tires could be driven in the snow? I got the Base Model and the 18 inch Aluminum Tires that come stock. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Please do NOT drive the GT in snow except with winter only tires. I live in illinois and drive a 12 GT. With the stock p zero neros I almost killed myself numerous times driving like a grandma with 120# of sand in the trunk. Almost nailed oncoming traffic and almost fell off highway entrance ramp. If you are interested I have a set of 18 inch rims like yours for sale for 400$ basically brand new. PM me if interested. Whether you buy my wheels or not. Please save yourself a crash and your wellbeing and get winter tires. The bridgestone blizak made winter driving soooo much safer.
Rookie

I've done this for years, on a car like this all seasons are really good at nothing. Summer tires are good in the summer and the winter snows are really good for the snow.

All seasons are really good on a Ford Flex with AWD or a Suburban with on demand 4x4. It works there, they are not performance cars, well the Flex might be with the Ecoboost, but I digress.

If you are going to run a rear wheel drive coupe or four door performance car with a lot of horsepower, get the snow set.

Answer this question. Which works better in the snow, my Jeep TJ on 33" muds locked and loaded on all fours, or my Mustang with snow tires?

I'll pick the Mustang with snows all day long on packed snow or ice.

With two feet of snow, I'll make sure the lockers are off and clear it all with the jeep. My Jeep is squirrlly on the mud tires and pretty unpredictable, but in deep stuff it rocks. Snow tires on a rear wheel drive car are very predictable on packed snow and ice, much more so than a lifted and locked jeep on muds.

That said, when it gets bad, I will drive the Suburban 2500. 6000lbs plus and we are all good with 4wd, I can tow them both home on the trailer on my 60,000 mile all seasons. ;-)
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-20-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Thank you for all the responses guys, but I'm getting mixed answers lol...By the way, I don't know if it matters, but I have an Automatic. Maybe that is a lot easier to drive in the snow then a manual? I guess I will first test the car out when it snows a little and see how it handles and if it sucks I will get Snow Tires.

2013 Mustang GT DIB Auto, Roush Axlebacks, Bama Tune and Steeda CAI

GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013MustangGT View Post
Thank you for all the responses guys, but I'm getting mixed answers lol...By the way, I don't know if it matters, but I have an Automatic. Maybe that is a lot easier to drive in the snow then a manual? I guess I will first test the car out when it snows a little and see how it handles and if it sucks I will get Snow Tires.
Much easier to drive in the snow with an automatic, less to worry about.

I know there are a lot of mixed answers here, but I fear there may be a lot of dilution here.

I come from a city with snowfall that exceeds my height by at least double sometimes with terrible roads and snow removal crews, and I've driven in these terrible winters for years and years. I would just like to make it clear once again that WINTER TIRES ARE 100% NECESSARY AND ALL-SEASONS ARE NEXT TO USELESS.

Hope this helps, keep everyone safe and cheers.

-2012 Grabber Blue GT 6M Premium w/ Brembos, Glass Roof, HID security pkg, Rear Camera, 401a, FRPP GT500 Axle-backs, Front Pioneer TS-D6802R speakers, JHR bracket, Bondra clutch extension.
-1986 Mazda RX-7 GX - Fast Mirage 16" Wheels, Sumo Firenza 205/60R Tires, slotted brakes + performance pads. Otherwise factory stock.
-2008 Mazda Mazda3 GT Sport - Stock, 5MT.
-2004 Volvo XC90 T5 - Comfort pkg, safety pkg.
-1995 Infiniti G20 - Sold, Pioneer head unit, lighting mods, miss it dearly.
SHELBY GT 350 Member

OP, if like alot of people in Chicago do you get in the garage from an unplowed alley (suburbia) those alleys are fun with limited ground clearance. More things to add to your thought process: Snows on rims will add to the # of years the OEM tires will last so the cost is not super high and most of the slippery is in the first 1/4 inch of snow. I will 2nd/3rd folks who say driver skill is important and since you are asking and not totally confident you can I will again suggest you get 4 snow tires if you are going to drive in the snow. Please, I visit Chicago (family) 1 or 2x a year. Thx.

2012 V6 traded in for a 2017 VW GTI.
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
OP, if like alot of people in Chicago do you get in the garage from an unplowed alley (suburbia) those alleys are fun with limited ground clearance. More things to add to your thought process: Snows on rims will add to the # of years the OEM tires will last so the cost is not super high and most of the slippery is in the first 1/4 inch of snow. I will 2nd/3rd folks who say driver skill is important and since you are asking and not totally confident you can I will again suggest you get 4 snow tires if you are going to drive in the snow. Please, I visit Chicago (family) 1 or 2x a year. Thx.
Trust me, there are a lot of loose pieces on the underside, wouldn't want to bottom out.

-2012 Grabber Blue GT 6M Premium w/ Brembos, Glass Roof, HID security pkg, Rear Camera, 401a, FRPP GT500 Axle-backs, Front Pioneer TS-D6802R speakers, JHR bracket, Bondra clutch extension.
-1986 Mazda RX-7 GX - Fast Mirage 16" Wheels, Sumo Firenza 205/60R Tires, slotted brakes + performance pads. Otherwise factory stock.
MACH I Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elite_Deforce View Post
Much easier to drive in the snow with an automatic, less to worry about.

I know there are a lot of mixed answers here, but I fear there may be a lot of dilution here.

I come from a city with snowfall that exceeds my height by at least double sometimes with terrible roads and snow removal crews, and I've driven in these terrible winters for years and years. I would just like to make it clear once again that WINTER TIRES ARE 100% NECESSARY AND ALL-SEASONS ARE NEXT TO USELESS.

Hope this helps, keep everyone safe and cheers.
Exactly this. For me snow tires are not even remotely an option. They are completely necessary. I don't buy the good driver/bad driver argument. If you need to slam on the brakes or perform an evasive maneuver on all season tires in icy or snowy conditions, it does not matter how good of a driver you are. Even F1 drivers will slam into a sidewall if they have no traction.

2018 GT350 - Race red

2012 Mustang GT/CS - Race red - Electronics package - Security package - 3.73 - Steeda shift knob - Steeda shift bracket - ProCal II Tune - GT500 ABs - Shaftmasters DS - Boss 302S Wheels - Build date: February 14th, 2012

2011 Mustang V6 - Pony Package Premium Coupe - Black - Charcoal Leather - Roush Front Fascia - Matte Black Lemans and Hockey Stick Hood Stripes - 6% HP Charcoal Tint - 3.31
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewr87 View Post
Exactly this. For me snow tires are not even remotely an option. They are completely necessary. I don't buy the good driver/bad driver argument. If you need to slam on the brakes or perform an evasive maneuver on all season tires in icy or snowy conditions, it does not matter how good of a driver you are. Even F1 drivers will slam into a sidewall if they have no traction.
Actually, I do buy the good/bad driver argument. Good drivers without winters stay home.

/thread

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page