Can I drive my 2013 GT in the snow? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Can I drive my 2013 GT in the snow?

Hello, I was just wondering If the stock tires could be driven in the snow? I got the Base Model and the 18 inch Aluminum Tires that come stock. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

2013 Mustang GT DIB Auto, Roush Axlebacks, Bama Tune and Steeda CAI

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012
GT Member

Unless it says otherwise on the sidewall, you may use them in winter conditions. I believe it is a yes regardless.

2014 GT 5.0 | Premium | 401A | Roush A/B
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012
GT Member

Aluminum Tires? Damn they make those now?

In all seriousness, you can "get by" with M+S tires in the snow. When I say get by, I mean it takes you 30 minutes to get somewhere that it normally takes you 4 minutes.

Get some winters.

-2012 Grabber Blue GT 6M Premium w/ Brembos, Glass Roof, HID security pkg, Rear Camera, 401a, FRPP GT500 Axle-backs, Front Pioneer TS-D6802R speakers, JHR bracket, Bondra clutch extension.
-1986 Mazda RX-7 GX - Fast Mirage 16" Wheels, Sumo Firenza 205/60R Tires, slotted brakes + performance pads. Otherwise factory stock.
-2008 Mazda Mazda3 GT Sport - Stock, 5MT.
-2004 Volvo XC90 T5 - Comfort pkg, safety pkg.
-1995 Infiniti G20 - Sold, Pioneer head unit, lighting mods, miss it dearly.

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Garage
In your area, winter tires are recommended and watch out for bad
drivers. I have driven on ice in Tennessee & Mississippi, but the
other drivers are the ones to watch.

2012 Candy Red 3.7 Cyclone {RIP}
2014 3.7 Cyclone DIB\BMR rear lca;s\ American Racing razor 18x9\275/40/18 Yokohama S-drives\Boss 302 strut brace\Airaid "tube"& aFe inverted Dry-S drop-in\UPR catch can\Koni sports\J&M cc plates\DSS 3.5" 1 piece
Bassani\BMR adj. panhard\
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012
MACH I Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Waxed'05 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013MustangGT View Post
Hello, I was just wondering If the stock tires could be driven in the snow? I got the Base Model and the 18 inch Aluminum Tires that come stock. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
I've never had winter tires, but I remember rejoicing when I finally got up to 20mph. Get a beater if you can...

'97 Cobra Vert - sold
'06 GT Sold 6/2010
Current: '06 F-250 Diesel, '10 CR-V, '11 Civic (Lease)

Ordered 12/12/12 Built 1/25/13 dealer received 1/30/13
2014 GHIG V6 Stick w/Perf. Pkg

post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012
GT Member
S197 Member

Light snow.. Very light snow.. I have owned nothing but RWD cars over the past 6years when I got my DL. You just need to know how to feather the throttle in snow. I don't recommend going over 30mph. Let traffic pass you
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Yes you may, but as to can.....If you are going to I would spring for 4 snows on rims. A 2nd vehicle is easier but $. I do the two vehicle solution (Tacoma)

2012 V6 traded in for a 2017 VW GTI.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

I drive my 2010 GT through the winter here in Mass, since it is my only car.

A decent set of 4 real snow tires will make a huge difference. In my opinion they do not need to be anything fancy or special, just real snow tires.

A separate set of winnter wheels with snow tires is the way to go. This way you can change them yourself every fall and spring, and you can protect your good OEM wheels from winter corrosion.

I was able to pick up a set of used wheels with snow tires for $500 on Craig's List ; it might be a little more difficult for you because the old 17" wheels will not clear your brakes. But it is definitely worth watching Craig's List for a while ; first you will need to know what wheels will fit your car.

I wonder what happens when snow falls on the hood of a car with hood vents?

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012
PONY Member

Yes, you can drive in the winter with next to no issues.

I had my 2012 as a DD last year with take off 17" BFG's on it. Traded that in and am using my 2013 with the stock 19" Pzero Nero on it. Both cars had no issues. It's been as cold as -20 (so not quite there, yet) and the new car has been flawless.

99%, people overdrive there tires and that's what gets them into trouble. Drive safe and you'll be fine.

Or, try driving the car first. Then figure out if you need tires.

2013 Mustang GT - 402A GT/CS - 6R80 - Glass Roof - Engine Block Heater - SGM Exterior - CB/Miko Interior

Steeda Adjustable PHB (Street) and Steeda PH Brace, Stainless Works Retro Catback Exhaust...
PONY Member

As far as the hood vents go, they don't let much snow in. Just the amount as if it was raining. They usually melt all the snow off, depending on how long your drive is.

2013 Mustang GT - 402A GT/CS - 6R80 - Glass Roof - Engine Block Heater - SGM Exterior - CB/Miko Interior

Steeda Adjustable PHB (Street) and Steeda PH Brace, Stainless Works Retro Catback Exhaust...
GT Member
Classic Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Ignoring all of my advice to put snows on all four wheels, my daughter figured she knew better and drove her 2010 GT in the snow two weeks ago on her non-snow tires. Needless to say, she had to abandon her car in a parking lot half way home and had to get a ride home. She has an appointment to get the snows.

Take the advice of an old guy that drove rear wheel drive cars for many years.....get the snows!!!

Rob

2012 Kona Blue GT Premium 401A, Manual, 3.55, Steeda Pro-Action Shocks, Struts, Sport Springs, LCAs, Adjustable Swaybars, Adjustable Panhard Bar, BMR Relocation Brackets and Adjustable UCA, Driveshaft Shop Aluminum Drive Shaft, Airaid CAI, MGW Shifter, GT500 Axle-Backs, 3M Clear Bra and Tint, Side Window Louvers, JLT Oil Separator, Staggered MMD Zeven Wheels and Mickey Thompson Street Comp Tires, Bama 93 Race Tune
Apprentice

i drove it during a freak snow storm 2 weeks ago in NYC - about 4 inches of snow and still snowing.. It goes forward fine/gentle turns but not in reverse - making a turn took a while before i could get it to back up, same with parallel parking... The rear wheels just spin since there is no weight.

--
2012 Pony Black V6 Premium with Comfort/Security Pkg.
MACH I Member

I highly recommend you get some winter tires. For your own safety as all as the safety of others on the road. Efficient turning and braking in snowy and icy conditions are my biggest concerns.

2018 GT350 - Race red

2012 Mustang GT/CS - Race red - Electronics package - Security package - 3.73 - Steeda shift knob - Steeda shift bracket - ProCal II Tune - GT500 ABs - Shaftmasters DS - Boss 302S Wheels - Build date: February 14th, 2012

2011 Mustang V6 - Pony Package Premium Coupe - Black - Charcoal Leather - Roush Front Fascia - Matte Black Lemans and Hockey Stick Hood Stripes - 6% HP Charcoal Tint - 3.31
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Granted Chicago probably gets it worse than Central Ohio, but as long as you have the all-season tires whether you can you drive your 2013 GT in the snow depends more on you comfort/skill with RWD in general than having a Mustang.

I grew up with RWD cars so it doesn't throw me so bad I guess. If you know you can keep an '86 Camaro V8 with Goodyear Eagle Ones on the road in the snow, this type of driving isn't quite so intense. I worry more about other drivers and getting salt on the car than I do about getting stuck.

I had mine out in the snow frequently last year and thought it actually did better than my '09 V6 which did pretty good. To get a feel for the car's limits, with all the controls on I tried to do some low speed controlled slides in a secluded area and I couldn't get the thing to slide. I wasn't gunning it like a maniac, I was just trying to mimic the type of driving you really (at least really should) be doing on bad roads.

I don't attempt to drive it on the ice, but I wouldn't attempt to get out with a FWDer on ice either.

Would probably make a big difference whether you have a manual or auto too.

Scott | 2012 GT Premium Coupe Performance White 6R80 HID 64M Wheels Ford All-Weather Pony Mats & Trunk Liner GT500/GT Rear Mud Flap Set Ohio's Horses License Plate Raxiom Aero Tails

If you love your dog, get a microchip, they really work! My lost dog was back home in just under 24 hours thanks to the good citizens who called the county and the microchip that told animal control exactly where he lived.
Banned

Bottom line, I'd rather be around a smart driver with RWD and summer only tires in the snow than an idiot with snow tires in light fluff and FWD. Just be careful no matter what route you go.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page