Shifter, shifter bracket, or both - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Shifter, shifter bracket, or both

Need opinions on changing out the stock shifter. Obviously I'm not completely thrilled with the stock set up.

Is this worth the money?
What are some pros/cons from the different brands and set ups?
Are there warranty concerns with replacing the shifter components?
I've heard some concerns with noise and heat. I don't want that.
I don't currently have any issues with the MT82.
Would replacing the shifter make it more or less likely to have issues down the road?

2013 Mustang GT/CS
6M Sterling Gray Metallic
Comfort Package
Roush Axle backs
Ordered 7/10/12 Delivered - 11/13/12 My son's 8th birthday!

My old beater -- 2011 Candy Red F150 Lariat
SCREW EcoBoost
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012
MACH I Member

This article explains it quite well:

SVTPerformance MGW Omnibus : MGW MT-82 Shifter Preview, Install, and Review - SVTPerformance

If you prefer watching Youtubes than reading the article, follow these videos:

SVTPerformance.com : MGW MT-82 Shifter Preview (1/2) - YouTube

SVTPerformance.com : MGW MT-82 Shifter Preview (2/2) - YouTube

There are other products out there that do a pretty good job of cleaning up the shifts, but I would have to say this is the best piece of hardware out right now for our cars. It's definitely worth the money, especially if a person does any AutoX or Road racing - it's much more precise, better throw, cleaner throw, more defined shifts and the reverse lockout doesn't "slip" into reverse anymore with the metal lockout mechanism.

I have no issues with noise or heat from it. Maybe a 5db increase at most (but it actually sounds pretty bad ass), nothing that people really should be complaining about. I did get the optional noise/heat shield.

Will it prevent your MT-82 from going out? No. The syncro's are just designed poorly and will easily get ruined with improper use. However, I do feel confident enough to say it is one step towards being a slight preventive measure for this kind of synchro wear.

2012 Black 3.7L
=Performance Package

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012
PONY Member
S197 Member

I installed the steeda shifter bracket/bushing and so far am much happier. A bit more NVH (I used the race bushing), but that sort of stuff, if mild, doesn't bother me.

When hard shifting at high rpm's (above 6000), I was having a hard time getting from 2nd to 3rd. With the bracket, shifting is louder and FEELS a little notchier (is that a word?) but it goes in gear a lot more reliably now.

Black 2013 GT Premium | Track Package | Recaros | GT500's | JBA H-Pipe | Borla Over-Axles | OEM GT500 Spoiler | Koni Yellows | Steeda CAI/Tune | Steeda Ultralite Springs | Steeda Adjustable UCA/PHB | Steeda Billet LCAs | MGW | Forgestar F14's

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012
PONY Member

I have the Barton shifter and bracket (original bracket). Could not be happier. I wasn't having any issues with the stock shifter either ... mine worked fine in my 2012 and I never had any shift issues even when cold.

However, the short throw and the heavy-duty, mechanical feel of the Barton is just awesome IMO. I would never go back.

You have to loosen the stock bracket at a minimum anyway to install the shifters to gain access to the lower, right bolt ... so IMO you should do both. You will however notice more noise ... you make parts more rigid and less squishy and you're getting more noise. Period. Check out the stock bracket with the soft rubber insert and you'll see why. If any increase of noise is not acceptable ... stick with the stock shifter.

I doubt you'd get denied warranty work because of a shifter ... but you always run that risk when you change anything if your dealership are jerks or are unreasonable.

My high RPM, 2-3 shifts are perfect as long as I just push straight up ... sometimes I (for some reason) try to "guide" it into third and that takes me to fifth at high RPM. Just push straight up with the palm of my hand, let the shifter do its thing, and it works every time.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012
SHELBY GT 350 Member

I think it'll help with missed shifts (MGW is my recomendation) as far as prevention I would try the JHR clutch line (wilson manifold sells) and an alternative fluid. The only thing that may void wtty would be fluid. Save the oem fluid in a clean container....I would (if you ever have troubles) return to stock before bringing it in for service. Folks will mention the Moss act but it's easier for Ford to deny wtty than to force them to fix it if they don't want to. Some of the blocking issues do come from tight gates and learning how to use whatever shifter you go with.

an ounce of prevention is worth......

2012 V6 traded in for a 2017 VW GTI.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012
GT Member
S197 Member

I watched the videos a while back, and I'm sold on the MGW, looks to be a better product all they way around

2012 GT Premuim A/T Sterling Gray, Loaded, Tinted, Steeda 93 Tune, JLT Oil catch can, 12" MTX Sub, CHE LCA's, GT500's, Boss/CS Lower Fascia W/foglights.
2011 V6 M/T traded for 2012 GT
2007 GT M/T traded for CRV
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012
shellenberger

Everybody is going to tell you "XYZ" is the best. 'Most' companies that are producing these have a decent product and it's really going to be hard to go wrong anyway you go.

Personally, i went with Hurst because of their past reputation and years in business. As a lot of others will say about the one they choose, i love it. It offers clean, crisp, short shifts and i've never had any issues with it.

My recommendation would be to locate some local custom shops in your area and ask questions.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012
GT Member
Classic Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Is this worth the money? - It depends. If you are unhappy with the current shifter then it is definately worth it. If you are happy with the current shifter and don't have any issues missing shifts then it would be a waste of money.

What are some pros/cons from the different brands and set ups? - The pros are more precise shifting. The cons are slight elevation in noise levels. Nothing serious but you will probably notice it.

Are there warranty concerns with replacing the shifter components? - This would be a question for your dealer but I am not aware of any warranty issues simply by replacing the shifte or bracket

I've heard some concerns with noise and heat. I don't want that. - I haven't noticed any problem with heat but you will probably notice increased noise levels as I stated above. If you can't live with that then don't make the move.

Would replacing the shifter make it more or less likely to have issues down the road? - I don' believe that replacing the shifter will prevent or cause any problems down the road.

Having said all of this, if you are not having any problems with your stock shifter I would recommend that you stay with it. Why spend the money to replace something that works fine. Save the cash for some other mod that will enhance your driving experience.

Rob

2012 Kona Blue GT Premium 401A, Manual, 3.55, Steeda Pro-Action Shocks, Struts, Sport Springs, LCAs, Adjustable Swaybars, Adjustable Panhard Bar, BMR Relocation Brackets and Adjustable UCA, Driveshaft Shop Aluminum Drive Shaft, Airaid CAI, MGW Shifter, GT500 Axle-Backs, 3M Clear Bra and Tint, Side Window Louvers, JLT Oil Separator, Staggered MMD Zeven Wheels and Mickey Thompson Street Comp Tires, Bama 93 Race Tune
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012
PONY Member

The biggest problem with the plastic-knob OEM shifter is the cylindrical knob forces your wrist into stupid positions and you can't hold the shifter properly.

IMO just buy a spherical shift ball + the adaptor and be done with it for maybe $45 and 5 minutes of work. That is definitely worth it.

2012 V6 Base. 6-speed. 3.31. Roush Wheel Hop Kit. BMR 38mm Front Swaybar. Camber Modded Koni Yellow Struts. Linear Steeda Sport Springs. J&M Camber Plates. J&M Panhard Bar. Airaid Intake. 93R Bama Tune. BBK Ceramic Shorties. Carbon Fiber Trac-Lok w/ Finned Cover. Hawk SR pads. GT Rotors. Spec Al Flywheel & Stage I Clutch, 18x10.5 ET38 Enkei PF01 Wheels. 285 30 R18 RE-71r tires. Boss 302 Radiator.
PONY Member

Try a bracket first. I went with the Steeda and I have no intentions of buying an actual shifter now. High RPM shifting is perfect now. Also easier to remove than the whole assembly incase warranty work is needed.

2012 Race Red GT Premium | MT82 3.31 | HID/Security | Steeda CAI | BAMA 91P | JLT Seperator | Steeda Shift Bracket | Steeda ProAction Shocks/Struts | Steeda Heavy Duty Strut Mounts | Eibach Pro-Kit (Dub) | J&M Adj. Panhard | GT500 Axle-Backs w/Resonator Delete | Ford Racing STB | American Muscle GT500 Black Machined 18x9/10 Nitto 555
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Is this worth the money? I got my Steeda Tri-Ax shifter and bracket last year for $220 on sale during the winter.

What are some pros/cons from the different brands and set ups? Mine uses the stock shifter ball and boot with no problems.

Are there warranty concerns with replacing the shifter components? You won't void the warranty by switching shifters. Any warranty concerns with the transmission would be related to abusing the drivetrain. The shifter mod would not cause this.

I've heard some concerns with noise and heat. I don't want that. My Steeda has no increased noise or heat.

I don't currently have any issues with the MT82. I didn't either. I switched out the bracket first for a few months, and this improved the shifting for me. The installation of the shifter made it even better.

Would replacing the shifter make it more or less likely to have issues down the road? The shifter would not affect it negatively. If anything, it would help to avoid issues. The stock shifter and bushing is the weakest link in the drivetrain.

Pete

2014 Shelby GT500:Delivered 4/3/13, Black/Black stripes/Black interior, SVT Track Package, SVT Performance Package, JLT Oil Seperator, FRPP Resonator Delete, Syntha Max blue air filter, Revan Racing shifter bushing, Michelin PSS tires, Lloyd GT500 mats, and yes the stock Shelby seats.
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I went through this for months trying to figure out what to do, even bought another shifter that was terrible...

Do yourself a favor and get a MGW, it really is the only way to go.

It replaces the entire Shift box, Shifter and how it is mounted, it's well worth it...

Plus it works excellently...

MGW LTD., INC. - Accessories for the Corvette, Mustang, Camaro and Viper | CNC Machined and Turned Parts.

2015 Mustang GT Performance Package... Stock for now..
Apprentice
5.0L Member

Go with the barton shifter its worth the money

2013 mustang 5.0- jlt cai, gt500 axlebacks,Arh long tube headers and xpipe, barton short shifter and bracket, boss 302 manifold, boss strut tower brace, j&m panhard, eibach lowering springs,hotchkis suspension, 19 inch saleen replicas,tuned by Cunningham Motorsports

441Hp/382Tq on E85
424Hp/373Tq on 91
PONY Member
5.0L Member

+1 on the MGW... pricey? Yes. Worth every cent? Absolutely.
PONY Member

I went with the barton shifter and bracket(regular). Way too loud when shifting into gears. I switched back to the stock bracket. Definitely decreased the "thud" when shifting into gears, but there was still very noticeable tranny noise coming through the shifter. So, I sent everything back to barton for a full refund within 30 days. I'm contemplating the steeda shifter with the stock bracket, but I'm still worried about noticeable noise coming through the shifter.

'12 Ingot Silver Mustang GT Premium, 401A, MT-82, BMR Springs(front), Eibach Sportline Springs(rear), Koni STR.T's, FRPP GT500 Strut Mounts, J&M Adjustable Pamhard Bar, FRPP 3.73's, CS Front Valence, 19" x 9.5" Hypersilver OEM '10 GT500 Wheels. LMR Shorty Antenna
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page