2011 Mustang Gt First Mod Recommendations? Every Tip Helps ;) - Page 3 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
GT Member
Classic Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by From2.0to5.0 View Post
Are the gt500's that good? I was thinking about going with the pype bombs since they seem much lighter but it seems everyone is on the gt500 bandwagon
They are a great compromise between the stock exhaust which many people think is much too quiet and something like the Borla Attack which some people think is too loud. I installed the GT500s and really like the muscle sound during acceleration but appreciate the relative quiet and lack of drone at highway speeds.

Rob

2012 Kona Blue GT Premium 401A, Manual, 3.55, Steeda Pro-Action Shocks, Struts, Sport Springs, LCAs, Adjustable Swaybars, Adjustable Panhard Bar, BMR Relocation Brackets and Adjustable UCA, Driveshaft Shop Aluminum Drive Shaft, Airaid CAI, MGW Shifter, GT500 Axle-Backs, 3M Clear Bra and Tint, Side Window Louvers, JLT Oil Separator, Staggered MMD Zeven Wheels and Mickey Thompson Street Comp Tires, Bama 93 Race Tune
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboStang View Post
They are a great compromise between the stock exhaust which many people think is much too quiet and something like the Borla Attack which some people think is too loud. I installed the GT500s and really like the muscle sound during acceleration but appreciate the relative quiet and lack of drone at highway speeds.

Rob
This. I actually would go a step further and say that the GT500's are very mild. Louder than stock but definitely not smack between Borla ATAK's but between stock and S Types, closer to stock.

GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsadams87xx View Post
This. I actually would go a step further and say that the GT500's are very mild. Louder than stock but definitely not smack between Borla ATAK's but between stock and S Types, closer to stock.
I've only had my GT500s for a short time and apparently they get louder over time, but I do find them to still be pretty mild in the higher revs.

-2012 Grabber Blue GT 6M Premium w/ Brembos, Glass Roof, HID security pkg, Rear Camera, 401a, FRPP GT500 Axle-backs, Front Pioneer TS-D6802R speakers, JHR bracket, Bondra clutch extension.
-1986 Mazda RX-7 GX - Fast Mirage 16" Wheels, Sumo Firenza 205/60R Tires, slotted brakes + performance pads. Otherwise factory stock.
-2008 Mazda Mazda3 GT Sport - Stock, 5MT.
-2004 Volvo XC90 T5 - Comfort pkg, safety pkg.
-1995 Infiniti G20 - Sold, Pioneer head unit, lighting mods, miss it dearly.

sai
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang_chick808 View Post
Hey Guys,

I'm Rachel from Alabama, I just recently picked up a 2011 Mustang Gt. Long story short, I've had a Mazda MX6 that was a hand me down from my brother. It broke down the other day so I got a chance to pick up the GT that i drove by every day at the dealership.

Here's how she looked like when I picked her up

After looking around for proper forums this is the one I found. I'm looking to get something done to it but not sure where i want to go. Weather its something for performance or cosmetics first. So if i can get some opinions from you guys that would be great.

I have done some research myself and found this article Performance Modifications: Where to Start?

I'm also considering to lower the car but not sure which springs are good. What do you guys think of Eibach springs? I saw these on ebay for a decent price, its these ones here. What do you guys think? Eibach Lowering Springs Sportline Front and Rear Red Ford Mustang Kit 803050230997 | eBay

Should I change the shocks too or just use the factory ones for the springs if i go with it?

get jlt oil seperator and gt500 axlebacks
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sai View Post
get jlt oil seperator and gt500 axlebacks
I've always wondered about the oil catch cans, and never had the patience to read the million word long threads on the subject.

someone want to give me a one liner whether they are necessary or not and why?

-2012 Grabber Blue GT 6M Premium w/ Brembos, Glass Roof, HID security pkg, Rear Camera, 401a, FRPP GT500 Axle-backs, Front Pioneer TS-D6802R speakers, JHR bracket, Bondra clutch extension.
-1986 Mazda RX-7 GX - Fast Mirage 16" Wheels, Sumo Firenza 205/60R Tires, slotted brakes + performance pads. Otherwise factory stock.
-2008 Mazda Mazda3 GT Sport - Stock, 5MT.
-2004 Volvo XC90 T5 - Comfort pkg, safety pkg.
-1995 Infiniti G20 - Sold, Pioneer head unit, lighting mods, miss it dearly.
sai
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elite_Deforce View Post
I've always wondered about the oil catch cans, and never had the patience to read the million word long threads on the subject.

someone want to give me a one liner whether they are necessary or not and why?
here is why
Reduce Sludge. In your Mustang's engine, crankcase exhaust is re-circulated back through your PCV system and intake, taking with it large amounts of oil vapors. This JLT Oil Separator kit installs in your PCV line to filter out oil before it can get into your engine's intake - where it doesn't belong - and cause damage.
Black Mustang JLT Oil Separator (11-13 GT) JLTOSP-FMG11-B - Free Shipping!
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by From2.0to5.0 View Post
Are the gt500's that good? I was thinking about going with the pype bombs since they seem much lighter but it seems everyone is on the gt500 bandwagon
For me they sound best. Nice muscle car sound. I listened to the Pype bombs on a Mustang and when he revved it was very "poppy." Kinda sounded like a ricer.

Dave USAF (Ret)
2013 Mustang GT Premium Coupe, Comfort Pkg., Red Candy, Saddle Leather, 6 MT, 3.31s Build date: 20120808, Purchase date: 20121009, Mods: GT500 Axle Back Exhaust, Steeda Black Shift Knob, Redline Hood Struts
MACH I Member

Like others have said, it really depends on your budget and what you want. There are as many mods you can do to these cars as there are opinions...as you can see.

If I had to do it all over again I would do suspension first along with new wheels. Trust me, if and when you lower your car you'll see just how much thinner the OEM wheels are. They just don't look as good when the car is lowered IMO.

Naturally suspension and wheels can be fairly expensive so if you are on a budget then the less expensive mods might be more attractive right now:

- Axel Back (as you can see many people like the GT500 AB. I'm not a fan--unless resonators are removed--but that's subjective and purely opinionated).
- Window tint (a must IMO--especially in AL)
- Oil separater (First thing I did before drivning my car from the dealer)
- CAI and Tune (only if you think you need more power--I'd drive the car for a while and see if you can live with the way it is).
- Little "creature comforts" like floor mats, shift knob, shorty antenna, trunk liner, etc.

Most importantly, congrats and have fun!

2012 Ingot GT Premium / 401a / Reverse Sensing & Security / 3.73 Rear

Mods: CS Fascia w/Fogs / Saleen Grille / Flowmaster Hushpower AB / Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks / Steeda Sport Springs / Steeda HD Upper Mounts / BMR Adjustable Panhard / TPS Slotted Rotors / Hawk Pads / JLT Catch Can / Barton Shifter / Barton 2-Post Bracket / Airaid CAI / Rockers painted to match / HID Retrofit / Bama Baby!
PONY Member

OP, I did intake, tune and 4.10 gears the first week I had mine! You could get all 3 for less than $1000. I saw u r in Alabama. What part? There is a guy in the Anniston area that will install a set of gears for $200! He has done 2 for me!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

'11 Sterling Gray Metallic GT, 6 speed
Performance: Lethal O/R X Pipe, GT500 Mufflers, Heartthrob 3" cat to Axleback Kit, FRPP 4.10s, Airaid CAI, AE 4" Driveshaft w/Stiffler's Loop, JLT Oil Separator, TRZ UCA, UPR LCAs, UMI Relo Brackets, J&M Panhard Bar & Roush/Eibach Lowering Springs.

12.151 on MT ET Streets (1/4 mile speed not working)
PONY Member

An O/R X pipe with the GT500 axlebacks are awesome too! You can probably add those both to the list and be around $1500! This assumes you do the work or can get it done cheaply!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

'11 Sterling Gray Metallic GT, 6 speed
Performance: Lethal O/R X Pipe, GT500 Mufflers, Heartthrob 3" cat to Axleback Kit, FRPP 4.10s, Airaid CAI, AE 4" Driveshaft w/Stiffler's Loop, JLT Oil Separator, TRZ UCA, UPR LCAs, UMI Relo Brackets, J&M Panhard Bar & Roush/Eibach Lowering Springs.

12.151 on MT ET Streets (1/4 mile speed not working)
GT Member
S197 Member

YBP, in describing the stock wheels as "thinner," I presume you're talking about the width? If so, that's one reason I've not yet done any suspension mods on my car. I'd want to do wheels at the same time, and that means tires too, and all that adds up to a big bottom line.

Allez Rouge
2012 GT Premium Coupe | Performance White | 401A Charcoal+Grabber Blue | Comfort Pkg | MT82 | Boss 302 Shift Knob | 18" Pony Pkg Wheels w/Brembo Pkg Center Caps | Boss/CS Front Valance | Scott Drake 5.0/Tri-bar Fender Emblems | FRPP Strut Tower Brace | Redline Hood Struts | GT500 Rear Splash Guards | Rear Spoiler Delete | Sound Tube Delete
MACH I Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allez Rouge View Post
YBP, in describing the stock wheels as "thinner," I presume you're talking about the width? If so, that's one reason I've not yet done any suspension mods on my car. I'd want to do wheels at the same time, and that means tires too, and all that adds up to a big bottom line.
Yup. Width. The stock wheels seem to get sucked into the frame when the car's lowered. I agree that suspension (~$1000) and wheels/tires ($$$$-depending on what you want) are a huge expense. However, I knew I was going to spend the cash, before I received the car; based on my previous mustang and other cars I've modded.

So far--and I've dumped some cash into this ride--suspension is by far the best thing for me personally. That includes a tune. I know many drag strip guys want the power, but as an old guy who doesn't hit the strip any more, the suspension was more important for me. I knew just by looking at pictures of a 2011 5.0 I would drop it and get rid of the 4x4 wheel gap. While I was waiting for the car to show up I already had parts waiting in the garage. *Kids had to eat peanut butter for a few months, but hey, they got over it...

BTW, I'm very glad to see more women choosing a V8 nowadays. It's refreshing!

2012 Ingot GT Premium / 401a / Reverse Sensing & Security / 3.73 Rear

Mods: CS Fascia w/Fogs / Saleen Grille / Flowmaster Hushpower AB / Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks / Steeda Sport Springs / Steeda HD Upper Mounts / BMR Adjustable Panhard / TPS Slotted Rotors / Hawk Pads / JLT Catch Can / Barton Shifter / Barton 2-Post Bracket / Airaid CAI / Rockers painted to match / HID Retrofit / Bama Baby!
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YerBuddysPony View Post
Yup. Width. The stock wheels seem to get sucked into the frame when the car's lowered. I agree that suspension (~$1000) and wheels/tires ($$$$-depending on what you want) are a huge expense. However, I knew I was going to spend the cash, before I received the car; based on my previous mustang and other cars I've modded.

So far--and I've dumped some cash into this ride--suspension is by far the best thing for me personally. That includes a tune. I know many drag strip guys want the power, but as an old guy who doesn't hit the strip any more, the suspension was more important for me. I knew just by looking at pictures of a 2011 5.0 I would drop it and get rid of the 4x4 wheel gap. While I was waiting for the car to show up I already had parts waiting in the garage. *Kids had to eat peanut butter for a few months, but hey, they got over it...

BTW, I'm very glad to see more women choosing a V8 nowadays. It's refreshing!
PB is good for protein so its all good

2012 v6 6MT: 32kmiles
Current: Air Raid CAI, Diablosport intune, FRPP sport axle backs, Strut tower brace, 3.7 emblems, eibach adjustable sway bars, J&M lower control arms, 3.55 frpp gears, axle exchange aluminum drive shaft, 19 inch BBP wheel set up
wants:no more issues
2002 mazda miata 5MT "track rat
Future" Custom valved and springs Fat cat motorsports, 9LB wheels, toyo proxxs r888, turbo pushing 250whp, sparco seats, custom roll bar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page