Xpipe or h pipe - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoT midlife CS View Post
It tamed and deepened the sound at idle and part throttle, and reduced some of the racecar rasp over 4K.
interesting, sounds like something I should consider onces i make the jump to long tubes.

i originaly was gonna go with a catless H pipe but ended up going X because the shop (lethal) didn't have H's in stock so they convinced me into the X. and im very happy with the sound paired with hushpowers.

2012 Premium Kona Blue 5.0, 6MT: Manley built shortblock 11:1
Pypes longtubes O/R x / CF JLT / Boss manifold / Accufab 84.5mm TB / Shaftmaster aluminum ds / BBR LCA's / Steeda Tri-ax / Barton Bracket / Koni Yellows / Gt 500 front strut mount / Steeda Ultraliite springs / Hotchkis adj panhard bar

Tuned by Ken & Lund racing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Apprentice

anyone have any experience with (or know any one) that can speak to the heartthrob H and flowpack system? I have been trying to research this...Heartthrob Mustang Flowpack Cat-to-Axle H-Pipe Kit (11-13 GT) 1029050 - Free Shipping!

Sounds like the flowpack mufflers would be better than the straight pipes to achieve the sound I am after. I also don't want to spend a ton trying to get what I want. I knew what I would get with the Borla's... i just wish they made an H system. I have only seen an X from them and most of them have the raspy I'm trying to get rid of.

EDIT: NM my Borla inlet tips are 2.75" and that is a 3" kit so it wouldn't work. I would have to find something different, maybe just an H pipe. Course most of those are all 3" as well.

DIB 2013 Mustang GT/CS, 3.55, 6M
Mods- Corsa Quad GT500 AB, Lethal O/R H, Lund tuned with N gauge, Koni STR.T, Steeda ultra light springs, J&M PHB, Roush side and rear splitters, 20% tint, Redline hood struts, smoke side housing, rear quarter tint, plasti dip faux gas cap and decklid, MMD tail light trim.

Ordered 8/10/12 Delivered 10/2/12 DD- 2010 Ford Fusion
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

I have the Magnapacks and it sounds amazing with an X pipe, catted or offroad (I have removable cats). With the catted x pipe, it sounded really nice and was loud, but it wasnt obnoxiously loud. The amount of rasp was just perfect too, didnt get raspy until after 3000 RPMs. But I removed my cats a few weeks ago and I havent looked back. It's much louder (as expected) and the rip in the exhaust sounds fantastic, but if you hate rasp, I wouldnt recommend it. I dont (or didnt) like rasp either, but the Magnapacks do it right.

That good ol' red (Boss 302), white (GT/CS) and blue (5.0)!
2008 Mustang GT/CS: 5 speed | FRPP 4.10 Gears | Bama 93H Tune | Magnaflow Magnapacks | Bassani O/R X Pipe | Airaid CAI | MGW | J&M LCAs | Saleens 19x8.5

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan 13 gt/cs View Post
anyone have any experience with (or know any one) that can speak to the heartthrob H and flowpack system? I have been trying to research this...Heartthrob Mustang Flowpack Cat-to-Axle H-Pipe Kit (11-13 GT) 1029050 - Free Shipping!

Sounds like the flowpack mufflers would be better than the straight pipes to achieve the sound I am after. I also don't want to spend a ton trying to get what I want. I knew what I would get with the Borla's... i just wish they made an H system. I have only seen an X from them and most of them have the raspy I'm trying to get rid of.

I don't have personal experience with Heartthrob but from what I have always gathered based on feedback only, quality is second rate.
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-25-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice
5.0L Member

Magnapacks are a clean sound

2013 mustang 5.0- jlt cai, gt500 axlebacks,Arh long tube headers and xpipe, barton short shifter and bracket, boss 302 manifold, boss strut tower brace, j&m panhard, eibach lowering springs,hotchkis suspension, 19 inch saleen replicas,tuned by Cunningham Motorsports

441Hp/382Tq on E85
424Hp/373Tq on 91
Grimace427

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan 13 gt/cs View Post
EDIT: NM my Borla inlet tips are 2.75" and that is a 3" kit so it wouldn't work. I would have to find something different, maybe just an H pipe. Course most of those are all 3" as well.
The Heartthrob should bolt up to your Borla axlebacks fine. They use the proper ball and socket joint so the Heartthrob kit can work with any axlebacks or even the stock mufflers.

Quote:
Uses O.E. or aftermarket axle-back
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsadams87xx View Post
I don't have personal experience with Heartthrob but from what I have always gathered based on feedback only, quality is second rate.

From what I have read, I agree.
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

If you do decide to get the Heartthrob setup, just know that you will have to do some cutting and welding to get it to fit correctly.

2011 Red Candy Metallic GT Premium w/ Bassani Race axle backs, Heartthrob X-pipe and over axle pipes, Bama Tune, 3.73s, JLT CAI, Boss intake manifold, Brembos, JLT oil separator, Ford Racing adjustable shocks and struts w/ H&R Race springs, Whiteline front and rear sway bars, 18x10 SVE Drifts w/ 305/645/18 Pirelli slicks
Texas World Speedway PB 2:07.9
MSR Houston PB 1:58.8
2003 Roush F-150 Stage 2 (daily)
Apprentice

Thanks for the feedback! In doing more research I have heard good things about the MRT H pipe... I might just leave it how it is... I don't dislike the Borla S just want something deeper. Nothing im going do to anytime soon. So plenty more back and forth before a final decision is made. Thanks again!

DIB 2013 Mustang GT/CS, 3.55, 6M
Mods- Corsa Quad GT500 AB, Lethal O/R H, Lund tuned with N gauge, Koni STR.T, Steeda ultra light springs, J&M PHB, Roush side and rear splitters, 20% tint, Redline hood struts, smoke side housing, rear quarter tint, plasti dip faux gas cap and decklid, MMD tail light trim.

Ordered 8/10/12 Delivered 10/2/12 DD- 2010 Ford Fusion
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I have a HT 3"catback with an x-pipe. I really like it for the price. It leaked some, but a welder took care of that.
Now, just FYI, I just happened to be looking at Heartthrob's website the other day, and they have a video saying that their h-pipe catback gained something like 21 HP over stock, while the x only gained something like 6 HP over stock. Granted, you have to take everything with a grain of salt, but I was really surprised that I had never heard that claim before. Most folks I know run an x, thinking it makes marginally more power at peak. Well, if Heartthrob's CEO says his H makes more power, I'm gonna believe it. Even if it's 1/2 the difference he says it is. So today I called Heartthrob, explained my setup, and ordered an h-pipe (only). For a whopping 75 bucks! Even a 10 HP difference is a great deal for $75. :kooky:
Point being: Heartthrob is a good company to work with, has a good product at a good price, and if I were you I would go ahead and get the h-pipe. Hope this helps! JD

I've spent almost every dollar I've ever made on FAST cars, COLD beer, and HOT women. The rest, I just WASTED! 2011 GT auto, Race Red w/ white C-stripes/Airaid/BAMA/Steeda cat-delete/Heartthrob 3" catback & H-pipe/Hushpowers/UPR CA's/FRPP 3.55's & diff cover/Tint/billet grilles/CDC chin spoiler/GT500wing & valance/P.A. trans pan/ARP wheel studs/AMR 18x9/10. RACEDAY: RaceStars w/big n littles. 1/8 mi. ET- 7.63.

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdnull68 View Post
Now, just FYI, I just happened to be looking at Heartthrob's website the other day, and they have a video saying that their h-pipe catback gained something like 21 HP over stock, while the x only gained something like 6 HP over stock. Granted, you have to take everything with a grain of salt, but I was really surprised that I had never heard that claim before. Most folks I know run an x, thinking it makes marginally more power at peak. Well, if Heartthrob's CEO says his H makes more power, I'm gonna believe it. Even if it's 1/2 the difference he says it is. So today I called Heartthrob, explained my setup, and ordered an h-pipe (only). For a whopping 75 bucks! Even a 10

Yeah you really can't take that video seriously. I've seen it too. He claims an additional 12RWHP just using his axle back as well. Everyone knows that's bull and you don't get jack squat from replacing axle backs. A change in atmospheric temperature could make that type of deviation run for run.
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

[quote=nsadams87xx;3277492]Yeah you really can't take that video seriously. I've seen it too. He claims an additional 12RWHP just using his axle back as well. Everyone knows that's bull and you don't get jack squat from replacing axle backs. A change in atmospheric temperature could make that type of deviation run for run.[/quote

Yeah, I'm "skeptical" and "cautiously optimistic" at the same time..."skeptically optimistic"? Anyway, I can't help but hope the h might make a little more. Been wanting to try one, anyway next season.

I've spent almost every dollar I've ever made on FAST cars, COLD beer, and HOT women. The rest, I just WASTED! 2011 GT auto, Race Red w/ white C-stripes/Airaid/BAMA/Steeda cat-delete/Heartthrob 3" catback & H-pipe/Hushpowers/UPR CA's/FRPP 3.55's & diff cover/Tint/billet grilles/CDC chin spoiler/GT500wing & valance/P.A. trans pan/ARP wheel studs/AMR 18x9/10. RACEDAY: RaceStars w/big n littles. 1/8 mi. ET- 7.63.

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdnull68 View Post

Yeah, I'm "skeptical" and "cautiously optimistic" at the same time..."skeptically optimistic"? Anyway, I can't help but hope the h might make a little more. Been wanting to try one, anyway next season.

I don't blame you. This day and age with the way cylinder heads are designed, exhaut equalization is acheived much better now even with a "sharp 90 degree turn at the crossover section." Get real, marketing. Theoretically, yes, it's less effective than an X pipe the smoothens out the pulses but by what? SVTPeformance and Lethal teamed up a while ago and did back to back dyno testing of their offroad X and H pipes and found a whopping 1'ish horsepower difference on average between the two. Get what your ear likes. H pipes paired with the right mufflers sound epic. One of my favorite exhaust combos: long tube headers, high flow catted H pipe, resonator delete, and GT500 axle backs. Sounds KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIILLER. Sounds like an angry raw undeniable muscle car. Then another one of my favorites, my setup (well...soon to be setup, waiting on my mid pipe ): long tube headers, high flow catted X pipe, and Magnaflow Competition Catback. Sounds like a race car. Both setups do what they do well and that's what counts.
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Both setups do what they do well and that's what counts. [/quote]
Sweet. I like mine OK. Not too loud, but sounds good at WOT, which seems to be quite often. My buddy with an otherwise stock exhaust has Roush AB's, and it sounds WAAAY better than mine. I'll be putting on some cat-deletes soon, and I'm kinda worried about making it sound like sh!t when i do. Then there's the whole x/h thing. I just can't spend a ton of money on exhaust.

Banned

Quote:
Sweet. I like mine OK. Not too loud, but sounds good at WOT, which seems to be quite often. My buddy with an otherwise stock exhaust has Roush AB's, and it sounds WAAAY better than mine. I'll be putting on some cat-deletes soon, and I'm kinda worried about making it sound like sh!t when i do. Then there's the whole x/h thing. I just can't spend a ton of money on exhaust.

You have Hushpowers, so they drone a little bit, yes? From what I've HEARD, anyway, that off road mid pipes without longtubes induces even more drone. Someone else might have better insight that me though so take it as a percaution, nothing more. Unless it doesn't bother you, of course.
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

[quote=nsadams87xx;3277580]You have Hushpowers, so they drone a little bit, yes? From what I've HEARD, anyway, that off road mid pipes without longtubes induces even more drone. Someone else might have better insight that me though so take it as a percaution, nothing more. Unless it doesn't bother you, of course.[/quote

Roger that. They drone around 2,000 RPM. Since I went to the 3.55's, it is much easier to drive around the drone (and everything else for that matter!) I want the few extra HP bad enough that I'm gonna try the catless system. Lower ET's is worth it... to a point. I guess we'll soon see how high my pain tolerance is soon enough! JD

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page