Xpipe or h pipe - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-23-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice
5.0L Member

Xpipe or h pipe

What sounds im deciding on ordering a pypes xpipe and takin off my stock h i have the resonators removed and im running magnapacks shuld i go x?

2013 mustang 5.0- jlt cai, gt500 axlebacks,Arh long tube headers and xpipe, barton short shifter and bracket, boss 302 manifold, boss strut tower brace, j&m panhard, eibach lowering springs,hotchkis suspension, 19 inch saleen replicas,tuned by Cunningham Motorsports

441Hp/382Tq on E85
424Hp/373Tq on 91
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-23-2012
GT Member
S197 Member

Mangapack is a straight threw muffler right? They say X for straight threw mufflers and H for chamberd

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App

post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-23-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice
5.0L Member

Yea magnapacks are loud

2013 mustang 5.0- jlt cai, gt500 axlebacks,Arh long tube headers and xpipe, barton short shifter and bracket, boss 302 manifold, boss strut tower brace, j&m panhard, eibach lowering springs,hotchkis suspension, 19 inch saleen replicas,tuned by Cunningham Motorsports

441Hp/382Tq on E85
424Hp/373Tq on 91

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-24-2012
GT Member

And let the rasp begain...

I don't speak often but when I do, I don't have clue what I am talking about. I just repeat things that I once heard and do not repeat them correctly... My doctor told me it was an ID 10 T problem and it was incurable.
So when I reply to a post or add to a thread I just find the words elsewhere and copy and paste.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-24-2012
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

A lot of people go X pipe, but man do H pipes sound good.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-24-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice
5.0L Member

X pipes loud also cuz ima reuse my cats?

441Hp/382Tq on E85
424Hp/373Tq on 91
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-24-2012
Apprentice

I have been doing research on this for the last week trying to figure out if an H pipe give me the sound I am after. I have the Borla S axle back on my 13 gt/cs. It has a little bit of raspy, poppy sound when I down shift. I dont mind it terribly but have been looking into a way to reduce it a little and get a real nice DEEP burble rather than the raspy. I know X pipes are more "racey" sounding and H are more classic sounding but since our cars come factor with H pipes. Would an aftermarket like Heartthrob, MBRP, or JBA really make that big of a difference? I don't really want/need it to be louder I just want the deep classic sound and lose some of the rasp.

I plan on keeping my cats as well. I don't know if cat back H and over the axle pipes would be an option as well? Other than more volume of exhaust moving through the pipes would going to a 3 in system change the tone at all?

SORRY OP not trying to hijack your thread. Just thought it better to throw it in here rather than open another thread.

DIB 2013 Mustang GT/CS, 3.55, 6M
Mods- Corsa Quad GT500 AB, Lethal O/R H, Lund tuned with N gauge, Koni STR.T, Steeda ultra light springs, J&M PHB, Roush side and rear splitters, 20% tint, Redline hood struts, smoke side housing, rear quarter tint, plasti dip faux gas cap and decklid, MMD tail light trim.

Ordered 8/10/12 Delivered 10/2/12 DD- 2010 Ford Fusion
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-24-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice
5.0L Member

Heres a vid of my exhaust

2013 mustang 5.0 magnapacks - YouTube

2013 5.0 mustang magnapacks - YouTube

441Hp/382Tq on E85
424Hp/373Tq on 91
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-24-2012
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by s197inthe208 View Post
A lot of people go X pipe, but man do H pipes sound good.

That really depends. I have the Magnaflow Competition catback and with the stock H pipe, it didn't sound that stellar. The X pipe cleaned it up and maintained the deep aggressive note.
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan 13 gt/cs View Post
I plan on keeping my cats as well. I don't know if cat back H and over the axle pipes would be an option as well? Other than more volume of exhaust moving through the pipes would going to a 3 in system change the tone at all?

No, that small of an increase won't really do anything. Replace your resonators with a mid straight through muffler (make sure it is a true muffler, that means packing, not just a resonator) like the Pypes M80. Be warned it will most likely quiet things down, too.
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Exhaust sound is such a very subjective thing. For me I wanted something that was deep and could maintain some level of civility so as not to attract tons of attention if I didn't want it, but that would turn heads when the time is right. I have been through several different combinations of mid-pipes, cats, cat deletes and axle backs. My final set-up has achieved my goals. MRT-performance Catted H-pipe, removed resonators and replaced with 2.5" dynomax bullets, and finished it off with the bassani street race axle backs.

Good luck in the iterative process of finding what works for you.

2012 GT CS Ingot Silver Vert, Edelbrock E-force supercharger with CAI and 3.5 Pulley, Tremec T-56 Mag, Accufab 84.5, Centerforce DF, Billet Yoke aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.73 Rear, MRT Performance H-pipe, Bassani axle backs, JL Audio sound, Edelbrock strut tower brace, JPC adjustable UCA, UMI adjustable panhard bar, KW V3 coilovers, Steeda heavy duty front mounts, Steeda rear LCA's, 20" Steeda Spyders with Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Steeda Big Brake Kit ....... it just keeps going.
Apprentice

Garage
x-pipe!
Apprentice

I just put the bbk after cat x on mine and it actually seemed to quiten the roush axle backs I have lol. I don't know if I like that and may look into removing the resonators.

2012 Race red, 6mt, 3.73s, Roush ABs :shiny:, Bbk Xpipe, Resonator Deletes, Eibach Pro Kit, J&m adj panhard, steeda intake bama tune, AM shifter, Saleen Replica wheels and Nitto tars!
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoT midlife CS View Post
Exhaust sound is such a very subjective thing. For me I wanted something that was deep and could maintain some level of civility so as not to attract tons of attention if I didn't want it, but that would turn heads when the time is right. I have been through several different combinations of mid-pipes, cats, cat deletes and axle backs. My final set-up has achieved my goals. MRT-performance Catted H-pipe, removed resonators and replaced with 2.5" dynomax bullets, and finished it off with the bassani street race axle backs.

Good luck in the iterative process of finding what works for you.
what is it that the dynomax bullets do? reduce drone? make the car louder?

2012 Premium Kona Blue 5.0, 6MT: Manley built shortblock 11:1
Pypes longtubes O/R x / CF JLT / Boss manifold / Accufab 84.5mm TB / Shaftmaster aluminum ds / BBR LCA's / Steeda Tri-ax / Barton Bracket / Koni Yellows / Gt 500 front strut mount / Steeda Ultraliite springs / Hotchkis adj panhard bar

Tuned by Ken & Lund racing
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MordFustangg View Post
what is it that the dynomax bullets do? reduce drone? make the car louder?
It tamed and deepened the sound at idle and part throttle, and reduced some of the racecar rasp over 4K.

2012 GT CS Ingot Silver Vert, Edelbrock E-force supercharger with CAI and 3.5 Pulley, Tremec T-56 Mag, Accufab 84.5, Centerforce DF, Billet Yoke aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.73 Rear, MRT Performance H-pipe, Bassani axle backs, JL Audio sound, Edelbrock strut tower brace, JPC adjustable UCA, UMI adjustable panhard bar, KW V3 coilovers, Steeda heavy duty front mounts, Steeda rear LCA's, 20" Steeda Spyders with Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Steeda Big Brake Kit ....... it just keeps going.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page