Motor Oil thread. - Page 3 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RusWolf View Post
Well here are my reasons:
1) I'm supercharged
2) Ford only went with 5W-20 in US/Can due to CAFE (I think it's called CAFE). Since from my research exact same engine in Australia is using 5W-30.
3) Under heat and hard driving conditions after some miles oil usually downgrade a little. So i'f i'm a 30 weight oil at 5K miles it's more like 20 oil.

Plus in my opinion the is not much difference between 20 and 30 oil so the engine won't feel much more stress but it will give just a little bit better protection on a dyno run or under hard driving conditions.
I originally wondered about all the people using 5w-30 or higher in their 2011 and 2012's until the track-pack engines in 2013 suggested 5w-50 for what is the same exact engine - just with additional cooling. If you're running your car hard without the oil cooler, it seems to reason that the higher weight oil would be even more important.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

GT Member
V6 Member

Mostly RP 5w-20 and either a RP or Mobil 1 synthetic filter. Go synthetic or go home.

2012 Kona Blue V6 6MT Pony package. 2.73 rear end, comfort package, Charcoal leather interior.

Driving it since 5/09/2011

Mods: Ford Mustang STB, Epco Rally stripe shifter ball, AFE non-oiled Air filter, Airaid mid pipe, GT500 Splash Guards, Ford Racing Rear Sway bar links and bushing kit, BMR rear LCA's, Bilstein monotube shocks, Eibach Pro-kit Springs.
GT Member

Whatever ford puts in there. Any modern oil that meets the current grade and viscosity will be fine if changed on decent oil change intervals. How many engine failures have you heard of due to cheap oil recently? Keep the oci up, use current spec oils, and you will be fine. Everything else is just mental masturbation imho.

When the warranty is out, I will either do it myself with whatever is on sale, or walmart it. (minus the fram filter)

2016 GT Premium black out 6 speed.

PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadstick View Post
Whatever ford puts in there. Any modern oil that meets the current grade and viscosity will be fine if changed on decent oil change intervals. How many engine failures have you heard of due to cheap oil recently? Keep the oci up, use current spec oils, and you will be fine. Everything else is just mental masturbation imho.

When the warranty is out, I will either do it myself with whatever is on sale, or walmart it. (minus the fram filter)
But you have a 6 banger correct? So your car doesn't count.

2015 Mustang GT Premium Sold

2011 Mustang GT Premium Sold

2003 Mach1 Sold
2.3 Whipple, fully built motor with all the bolt-ons 718 rwhp/735 rwtq Sold
PONY Member

oil is oil and filters are filters
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandoTheKing View Post
oil is oil and filters are filters

Then try some crisco for oil and a tiolet paper tube for a filter and let us know how it works for ya.

So uneducated and misinformed.

2012 GT Premium, Ingot Silver, Brembo package, 3.73's, Clear Bra, GT500 Axle Backs, tint.
GT Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmach View Post
You're clueless dude.

I use Amsoil signature series 5w-30 and an Amsoil filter.
Wasting your money. Sucked into advertisement vs facts

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quan Cheese View Post
Wasting your money. Sucked into advertisement vs facts

Waiting for your facts on how terrible Amsoil is.

2012 GT Premium, Ingot Silver, Brembo package, 3.73's, Clear Bra, GT500 Axle Backs, tint.
GT Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiftoy View Post
Waiting for your facts on how terrible Amsoil is.
I dint say it was terrible. You can get quality synthetic oil w/o spending an arm and a leg on Amsoil

post #40 of 62 (permalink) Old 11-26-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice
5.0L Member

haha I made this thread before searching, and it has turned into a show down. I love it.

2013 Performance White Mustang GT 5.0 MT, 3.73s Id1000 Injectors, BAP, Paxton 2200 SL, Barton Short throw shiter + bracket, On3 o/r x pipe
(Sold)2012 Race Red Mustang GT 5.0 MT
Apprentice

Amsoil Signature Series oils are $7.85 a quart as a preferred customer. Most synthetics at the Auto parts stores cost more than this and even if you throw in shipping cost for the Amsoil it is still cheaper in some instances. You are also getting a TRUE synthetic oil. Not something that is a highley refined group III base stock which is a conventional oil base stock. If you want to go for extended drain intervals I don't think you will find a better motor oil.

PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
A higher viscosity oil is a consideration for an engine with a significant increase in torque and power resulting from supercharging or turbocharging.
Or when you drive it like you stole it on a regular basis!

Quote:
haha I made this thread before searching, and it has turned into a show down. I love it.
It always does!

GT Member
S197 Member

If my Walmart don't sell it I don't have time to go outta my way and find it. Besides I change it every 3k anyway. I think running oil threw our engines for 10+k is just ridiculous regardless of the oil

PONY Member

Had the dealer change mine today at 2300 miles and put in Mobil 1 5w20 full synthetic.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

2013 GT, automatic, Brembo brake package
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Mobil 1 synthetic. I've never used anything else in my cars ... at least since I could afford it about a decade ago.

2011 Shelby Convertible w/SVT Performance & Electronics Packages
2011 Shelby GTS V6 Convertible, AT, CAI, Aluminum DS, 3.73, Tune
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page