Motor Oil thread. - Page 4 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Apprentice

I have not done my first oil change yet but I will be using Pennzoil ultra 5w-20 in mine and anything but a fram or pureolator filter.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quan Cheese View Post
If my Walmart don't sell it I don't have time to go outta my way and find it. Besides I change it every 3k anyway. I think running oil threw our engines for 10+k is just ridiculous regardless of the oil

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App
One of your local walmarts carry Pennzoil Ultra...
get a 5L can and 3 additional quarts and everything will come to about $50-60.
Outstanding oil and great price.
Pennzoil Platinum is also high praised and slightly cheaper.

2011 Mustang 5.0 2SLOW
GT Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RusWolf View Post
One of your local walmarts carry Pennzoil Ultra...
get a 5L can and 3 additional quarts and everything will come to about $50-60.
Outstanding oil and great price.
Pennzoil Platinum is also high praised and slightly cheaper.
Yeah i run PP

PONY Member

Redline 5w-20 (for the winter) and an AC Delco UPF48R (the LS7/LS9 filter from GM).

I have a sandwich adapter for gauges and a Boss oil cooler, so I need a shorter filter to ensure good clearance between the end of the filter and the K-member. The GM fits perfectly and is about 3/8" shorter than the Motorcraft filter.

2014 GT500
MACH I Member

Quote:
Wasting your money. Sucked into advertisement vs facts

Here is a great article, that includes facts from a lab tested & controlled environment:
Amsoil lab test results • Speed Talk

Quote:
............................................. Zinc.........Phos......Moly....Total det.........TBN

Amsoil 0W30 Sig. Series API SN..........824..........960.......161.......3564 ...........11.4
Mobil 1 5W30 API SN.......................801...........842.......1 12......1489............7.5
Mobil 1 5W30 Ext. Perf. API SN...........890..........819.......104.......1697 ............7.9
Quaker State 5W30 Ult. Dur. API SN.....877..........921.........72.......2845..... .......7.9
Valvoline 5W30 SYNPower API SN..........969..........761.........0........2628 ............7.1
Pennzoil 5W30 Ultra API SM.................806..........812........66..... ..3387..........10.3
Castol 5W30 Edge API SM....................955..........799.......149.. .....3277..........10
Castrol 5W30 Edge w/Ti API SN............818..........883.......90........181 0..........10.1
Castrol 5W20 Edge w/Ti API SN...........1042..........857......100.......1952 ...........9.5
Castrol 5W30 GTX API SM....................888..........873........0... ......2982............7.5
Royal Purple 5W30 API SN....................942..........817........0... ......2834...........7.7
Royal Purple 5W20 API SN....................964..........892.........0.. ......2875..........7.7
numbers in PPM (parts per million)

That article does a good job explaining what each chemical/additive mixture is and how it effects the engine, in an easy to understand writeup.

2012 Black 3.7L
=Performance Package

Rookie
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Changed mine out yesterday for the second time. First at 1K and then at 6K. Went with OEM Motorcraft Blend 5w-20 and their filter. At 10K going over to Pennzoil Syn. I usually was a RP guy, run it in my truck and cycles, but sick of driving to a Pep Boys, Pennzoil is right around corner and comes in 5L jug. Damn the undercarriage oil filter!!!!!!
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2VipeRS View Post
Here is a great article, that includes facts from a lab tested & controlled environment:
Amsoil lab test results • Speed Talk

numbers in PPM (parts per million)

That article does a good job explaining what each chemical/additive mixture is and how it effects the engine, in an easy to understand writeup.

That's great. However, it means nothing if you change you oil every 5 to 7K miles, which most people do. If you change it that often, the TBN can be 8, and your engine will be perfectly fine. You show me a motor head that is going to leave oil (of any kind) in an engine for 25K miles.

That is why I say any oil for 5K miles is just as good. If I were a fleet operator, I would consider doing a small portion of the fleet on the amsoil stuff and take notes at 150K miles and compare.

2016 GT Premium black out 6 speed.
glock22357

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadstick View Post
You show me a motor head that is going to leave oil (of any kind) in an engine for 25K miles.
There are some here.

I don't understand it, but there are folks here that actually seem interested in seeing how long they can run their oil.

For the cost of doing an oil-change yourself, I can't understand that mentality. It's cheap insurance. If you like driving your car, why wouldn't you enjoy maintaining it well?
Apprentice

Quote:
If my Walmart don't sell it I don't have time to go outta my way and find it. Besides I change it every 3k anyway. I think running oil threw our engines for 10+k is just ridiculous regardless of the oil

3K oil canges are a thing of the past even with a good conventional oil. You are just throwing money away go at least 5k, but hey whatever makes you sleep better.

2012 GT Premium, Ingot Silver, Brembo package, 3.73's, Clear Bra, GT500 Axle Backs, tint.
GT Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiftoy View Post
3K oil canges are a thing of the past even with a good conventional oil. You are just throwing money away go at least 5k, but hey whatever makes you sleep better.
I drive my car hard so it takes abuse. Sure 5k is fine in your basic Toyota but not in a car that is a daily driver that red lines here in there. Also I short trip daily so even after 3k a decent amount of water gets into the oil. Ill just put it this way. I never seen a motor go due to oil related issues with 3k changes but I have seen them shell or have sludge problems for going the "extra mile"
Better to be safe then sorry
Apprentice

I use Mobil 1. After how many miles do you chance the Oil?

--
2012 Pony Black V6 Premium with Comfort/Security Pkg.
PONY Member

Quote:
Ill just put it this way. I never seen a motor go due to oil related issues with 3k changes but I have seen them shell or have sludge problems for going the "extra mile"
Better to be safe then sorry

I've never seen a motor go due to oil related issues if the owner was following all manufacturer recommendations, but I have seen many mechanical problems caused by owners who thought they knew better.

Just sayin'
GT Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM Convert View Post
I've never seen a motor go due to oil related issues if the owner was following all manufacturer recommendations, but I have seen many mechanical problems caused by owners who thought they knew better.

Just sayin'
Yeah my motor will blow up because I change it every 3k. Better run it hard for 8k miles on the sane oil so it last longer.

GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM Convert View Post

Just sayin'

Do you believe that Ford wants you to drive the car for 15 years or just get you through the warranty period?

2012 V6 Auto / MPT Performance-Street Tune (5.0 Killa)

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadstick View Post

When the warranty is out, I will either do it myself with whatever is on sale, or walmart it. (minus the fram filter)
Do it yourself oil changes will not void your warranty. Just keep your oil and filter receipts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page