front end knocking at low speeds: 2012 V6 Premium - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-24-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Unhappy front end knocking at low speeds: 2012 V6 Premium

I'm new to this forum, but have been active in several car forums over the past 10 years. So I know what "goes down" in these groups. 99% of it is good stuff.

I know there are threads in this forum about the subject title, but I cannot find them. So here goes. Sorry if all this is old stuff.

Last week I had the LCA bushings replaced in my 2012 V6 Premium in order to stop the knocking. It didn't. Yesterday I replaced the driver side swaybar link. Still knocks. I've heard a lot about the strut mounts being bad in these cars. Is this the next thing to replace?

Of course the dealer can never duplicate the problem. I have a great service adviser who has been "taking my word" about the complaint. I love the car but find myself driving erratically through the neighborhood in order to avoid the small bumps. That noise drives me nuts!!

Santa Elena Canyon, BIG BEND NATIONAL PARK, TX

2014 Mustang GT Premium black on black and blacked out...
MODS: Sound pipe delete, tint and 1-1/4 inch Draw-Tite hitch receiver (the towing package)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-24-2012
5POINTO

Check this:
https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...on-normal.html

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-24-2012
Grimace427

Throwing parts at the car is never the best idea. Have the shop hook up a 'ChassisEar' to the suspension. Most setups have 4-6 leads that can be attached to multiple parts of the car and switched to identify the source. One lead can be attached to the following:

top bolt of the strut
bolt for the lower control arm
mount for the sway bar
bottom or top of the sway bar link
ball joint

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-25-2012
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Good find. I seem to get erratic results when searching from within the site. But if I go to Google I find AFM results appear at or near the top almost everytime. And if they don't, adding in All Ford Mustangs and/or AFM will find the topic every time, assuming it's out there.

Okie, welcome aboard, sorry you found AFM due to issues with your new pony but it sounds like your dealer is one of the good ones and will work with you until you solve the issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimace427 View Post
Throwing parts at the car is never the best idea. Have the shop hook up a 'ChassisEar' to the suspension. Most setups have 4-6 leads that can be attached to multiple parts of the car and switched to identify the source. One lead can be attached to the following:

top bolt of the strut
bolt for the lower control arm
mount for the sway bar
bottom or top of the sway bar link
ball joint
That's pretty amazing, I had no idea there was such a thing.

Scott | 2012 GT Premium Coupe • Performance White • 6R80 • HID • 64M Wheels • Ford All-Weather Pony Mats & Trunk Liner • GT500/GT Rear Mud Flap Set • Ohio's Horses License Plate • Raxiom Aero Tails

If you love your dog, get a microchip, they really work! My lost dog was back home in just under 24 hours thanks to the good citizens who called the county and the microchip that told animal control exactly where he lived.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-25-2012
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 412horses View Post
Good find.
Actually that thread is directly below this one, at the time of this posting. My post will screw that up hopelessly though.

-2012 Grabber Blue GT 6M Premium w/ Brembos, Glass Roof, HID security pkg, Rear Camera, 401a, FRPP GT500 Axle-backs, Front Pioneer TS-D6802R speakers, JHR bracket, Bondra clutch extension.
-1986 Mazda RX-7 GX - Fast Mirage 16" Wheels, Sumo Firenza 205/60R Tires, slotted brakes + performance pads. Otherwise factory stock.
-2008 Mazda Mazda3 GT Sport - Stock, 5MT.
-2004 Volvo XC90 T5 - Comfort pkg, safety pkg.
-1995 Infiniti G20 - Sold, Pioneer head unit, lighting mods, miss it dearly.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-25-2012
Grimace427

Quote:
Originally Posted by 412horses View Post
That's pretty amazing, I had no idea there was such a thing.

It works just like a stethascope that uses wires instead of a lead you hold in your hand. The leads have alligator clips that can latch onto almost anything so it is very versatile. Not expensive or high-tech at all.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-26-2012
FordService

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieHick View Post
I'm new to this forum, but have been active in several car forums over the past 10 years. So I know what "goes down" in these groups. 99% of it is good stuff.
I know there are threads in this forum about the subject title, but I cannot find them. So here goes. Sorry if all this is old stuff.
Last week I had the LCA bushings replaced in my 2012 V6 Premium in order to stop the knocking. It didn't. Yesterday I replaced the driver side swaybar link. Still knocks. I've heard a lot about the strut mounts being bad in these cars. Is this the next thing to replace?
Welcome to the forum, OkieHick! My name is Deysha from Ford Service. I recommend you make another appointment with your dealer for diagnosis as soon as possible. Then, PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number so I can get this escalated to the customer service manager for your area.

Deysha
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Thanks Deysha! You should have a PM by the time you read this...

MODS: Sound pipe delete, tint and 1-1/4 inch Draw-Tite hitch receiver (the towing package)
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-28-2012
FordService

Quote:
Thanks Deysha! You should have a PM by the time you read this...
Got it, OkieHick! I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

Deysha
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Well, I took the Ford dealer's service tech for a ride this morning on a bad road in order to demonstrate the knocking over small bumps at low speeds. He got an earful of the noise!! It was at its worse! YAY!!!! Until then they thought I was crazy. This afternoon the service adviser told me that he had ordered a new power steering rack. The couldn't find anything else wrong. So I have my fingers crossed.

GT Member

Quote:
Well, I took the Ford dealer's service tech for a ride this morning on a bad road in order to demonstrate the knocking over small bumps at low speeds. He got an earful of the noise!! It was at its worse! YAY!!!! Until then they thought I was crazy. This afternoon the service adviser told me that he had ordered a new power steering rack. The couldn't find anything else wrong. So I have my fingers crossed.
Wish I requested to take the tech with me. I have no idea what they did to my Stang.

-2012 Grabber Blue GT 6M Premium w/ Brembos, Glass Roof, HID security pkg, Rear Camera, 401a, FRPP GT500 Axle-backs, Front Pioneer TS-D6802R speakers, JHR bracket, Bondra clutch extension.
-1986 Mazda RX-7 GX - Fast Mirage 16" Wheels, Sumo Firenza 205/60R Tires, slotted brakes + performance pads. Otherwise factory stock.
-2008 Mazda Mazda3 GT Sport - Stock, 5MT.
-2004 Volvo XC90 T5 - Comfort pkg, safety pkg.
-1995 Infiniti G20 - Sold, Pioneer head unit, lighting mods, miss it dearly.
FordService

Quote:
This is good news. I'll keep my fingers crossed with you.

Deysha
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-13-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

I just picked up the car from the dealer and indeed it was a bad steering gear assembly. It steers soooo much better! Since day 1 I would hear a knock from the front maybe 30 feet after I started forward. This was consistent and I thought that maybe it was something re-setting. I therefore blew it off. It doesn't do that now. I also noticed that recently it was getting really hard to steer on roads with truck tire grooves. In fact last week on hwy 75 north of Kiowa OK I had to fight the steering wheel to keep the car straight....a HARD pull to the left. So I suppose that the steering has been deteriorating over time.

ANYWAY, it feels great!!! :kooky: :part ydance

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page