Aftermarket Shift Knobs. Do they all look goofy? - Page 3 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
PONY Member

I got this one with the boot adapter from speed dawg. The collar has a gradual decrease in circumference, so it doesnt have such a ball on a stick look.

2011 GTCS
Officially too many mods to list...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

opq
PONY Member

I'm with the OP. I think these would look great if the boot had a much thinner opening, which would eliminate the need for that aluminum collar in that shape.

PONY Member

Go with the Boss knob and boot..It's the best looking one available. I looked at every single option out there before deciding to drop the cash on the Boss.

2012 GT Premium, 6spd, 3.73 rear, Steeda shift bracket, GT500 ABs, tint, matte black OTT stripe, Boss shift knob and boot, MMD taillight trim, Infinity speaker upgrade
Previous Mustangs: 91 Lx 5.0 404 rwhp, 93 notch, 98 GTvert slow as hell,99 Gt, 2000 GT, 2001 GT, all manuals and all will be missed, mainly the 91 she was sweet.

Apprentice

Where does one go for a best price on a Boss knob and boot ?

'13 Mustang GT. Sterling Gray, 6-spd man, Recaro seats, Track Pack. Ordered 6.6.12, born 7.25.12, mine 8.11.12. Steeda Sports, Koni Sports, 2.3L Whipple, 3.25" pulley, ID1000 injectors, JLT CAI, JDM tune. 591 RWHP, 505 RWTQ
GT Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe9195 View Post
Where does one go for a best price on a Boss knob and boot ?
My Boss knob came from partscheap.com (about $55). Already had the boot since my car has the 401A interior package, but IIRC it costs around $35 from the same source.

Allez Rouge
2012 GT Premium Coupe | Performance White | 401A Charcoal+Grabber Blue | Comfort Pkg | MT82 | Boss 302 Shift Knob | 18" Pony Pkg Wheels w/Brembo Pkg Center Caps | Boss/CS Front Valance | Scott Drake 5.0/Tri-bar Fender Emblems | FRPP Strut Tower Brace | Redline Hood Struts | GT500 Rear Splash Guards | Rear Spoiler Delete | Sound Tube Delete
post #36 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Well, I contacted Speeddawg to ask about their retainers. I asked them which portion was threaded and whether or not the threads went from the top to bottom of the retainer. I got a big no on that one.

My plan was to buy one, grind the top off, and then have it powder coated. Back to hunting I guess. Might end up at the local hacker space to play in their machine shop...

Out of curiosity, does anyone know what the OEM looks like with the nub removed?

2013 5.0 - Deep Impact Blue
Brembo, GT500 axle backs, Vogtland springs, GT500 shocks/struts, Laguna SECA transmission scoop, 3.31, Carbotech xp10/8, JLT brake ducts
TWS CCW: 2:03.02
Rookie

I designed this knob at EPCO. Their quality is second to none. I am sure that they can do whatever you need.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	394012_4944617621066_834432588_n.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	9.6 KB
ID:	167424  
klp
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Green View Post
Go with the Boss knob and boot..It's the best looking one available. I looked at every single option out there before deciding to drop the cash on the Boss.
That is a pretty nice looking setup. I too am in search of a stock looking setup but I really want a white ball, same font as the Boss knob.

I know there are 2 different thread pitches on our cars, does anyone know if the boss knob is 12x1.25 or 12x1.75? I think the 401a cars are 12x1.75

'12 Brembo GT - 6MT, 3.73's, Shaker 1000, HID/Security, Comfort package, Steeda CAI, SCT tuner, Borla axle backs, Barton shifter+bracket, Steeda UCA+mount.
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcgee View Post
I designed this knob at EPCO. Their quality is second to none. I am sure that they can do whatever you need.
That's awesome! I just ordered a basic-white EPCO knob yesterday ... only thing on it will be the shift pattern engraved in black.
Can't wait to get it.

'13 Mustang GT. Sterling Gray, 6-spd man, Recaro seats, Track Pack. Ordered 6.6.12, born 7.25.12, mine 8.11.12. Steeda Sports, Koni Sports, 2.3L Whipple, 3.25" pulley, ID1000 injectors, JLT CAI, JDM tune. 591 RWHP, 505 RWTQ
F91
GT Member
5.0L Member

Garage
They all look goofy....

2011 GT | MT82 | 3.73 | Brembos | Barton | Airaid | CDC chin | Corsa X pipe & Xtremes | DSS Aluminum Shaft | BMR Rear loop & LCA relocating brackets | J&M Extreme LCA | Koni Yellows | Steeda Sports | UMI Panhard | SCT & BAMA
"Yo, nutsack! Let me tell you something, man, muscle beats import every time. You know what I'm saying? Every time!" - Dwight
GT Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by klp View Post
That is a pretty nice looking setup. I too am in search of a stock looking setup but I really want a white ball, same font as the Boss knob.

I know there are 2 different thread pitches on our cars, does anyone know if the boss knob is 12x1.25 or 12x1.75? I think the 401a cars are 12x1.75
I don't know what the pitch is, and have not previously read of there being two different pitches, but I can tell you that the Boss 302 knob screwed right onto the shift lever of my 2012 401A car.

Allez Rouge
2012 GT Premium Coupe | Performance White | 401A Charcoal+Grabber Blue | Comfort Pkg | MT82 | Boss 302 Shift Knob | 18" Pony Pkg Wheels w/Brembo Pkg Center Caps | Boss/CS Front Valance | Scott Drake 5.0/Tri-bar Fender Emblems | FRPP Strut Tower Brace | Redline Hood Struts | GT500 Rear Splash Guards | Rear Spoiler Delete | Sound Tube Delete
post #42 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

It's not the knobs that look silly. (opinion of course, I don't want anyone to take the title in the wrong way) It's the adapters.

At this point, I'm going to check out the speeddawg adapter.

F91, that knob looks great with your color schema.

Anyone know the weight on the Epco knobs? Looks like they're the same knobs speeddawg sells. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Brembo, GT500 axle backs, Vogtland springs, GT500 shocks/struts, Laguna SECA transmission scoop, 3.31, Carbotech xp10/8, JLT brake ducts
Apprentice

My EPCO knob just arrived

Install planned for tomorrow

I will also try this spacer set-up, but it's not fully polished yet so I won't leave it on, even if it fits right.

Apprentice

Got my EPCO knob installed today and so far I really like it. Shifting is a little different, toward the "more fun" category

It's solid white, 2 1/8" size, and I was fairly happy to have previously-purchased an adapter, otherwise it would've looked horrible with the huge space in-between the shifter boot and the shifter knob (see pictures below)

Now, as far as to why that spacer/adapter looks the way it does: I bought it anodized black and was in the process of polishing it myself, but after a couple of days of working it with my Dremel, I got busy with other stuff and never finished it. It looks kinda ghetto, but OK enough for me, for now. Eventually I'll remove it and finish the job.

Now, for the pics:

post #45 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe9195 View Post
Really glad you posted this picture. (Nice knob as well) Shows me what I'll be working with. Might see if I can just get a custom boot made and make my own adapter.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page