Aftermarket Shift Knobs. Do they all look goofy? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-25-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Aftermarket Shift Knobs. Do they all look goofy?

Hey everyone, I'm new to the forums and have been poking around and searching. I'm wondering whether all aftermarket shift knobs end up using the goofy collars or if there is another options.

What I don't want:

What I do want:

Notice how the space between the knob and the boot isn't incredibly defined as in the first picture.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

2013 5.0 - Deep Impact Blue
Brembo, GT500 axle backs, Vogtland springs, GT500 shocks/struts, Laguna SECA transmission scoop, 3.31, Carbotech xp10/8, JLT brake ducts
TWS CCW: 2:03.02
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-25-2012
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

May I ask why you don't want the first one? From what I see it's the one on the Boss, that I got for my GT/CS and it's perfect to me. What is it that you don't like about it?

2011 Ford Mustang V8 5.0 GT/CS Black Coupe MT - (Mods in my profile, too many to list here...)
"Don't wait for tomorrow to look back and wish for today": In Memory of a great guy: Pcfrisch.
post #3 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-25-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Primarily the look. The knob is fine, the collar is not my cup of tea. I've always preferred the 'sunk' look for my knobs so that boot basically meets the knob rather than the large post meeting a polished aluminum oversized washer separating the boot and the knob. I guess I'd be looking for a flush mount collar if such a thing exists.

Just my preference.

Brembo, GT500 axle backs, Vogtland springs, GT500 shocks/struts, Laguna SECA transmission scoop, 3.31, Carbotech xp10/8, JLT brake ducts

post #4 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-25-2012
Apprentice

Is the bottom one a subaru? I want a MGW composite race
knob when I get an MGW shifter.

2013 Mustang GT - Black - 6MT - Vortech V3, Brembos, GT500/Lethal H, Bilstein HD/Steeda HD/Sports, BMR LCA/PHB, Lund

-------Previously-------
1997 Cobra Vert - Triple Black - lots of mods
1996 GT - Black - some mods
1988 GT - Black - no mods
post #5 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-25-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Bottom one is a Civic SI Mugen shift knob.

post #6 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-25-2012
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by billabongrob View Post
Bottom one is a Civic SI Mugen shift knob.
Picture posted is NOT a boss shift knob. Buy a real boss 302 shift knob and 401A shift boot. Problem solved.

Current : 2013 BLACK GT/CS - 6MT / 3.73 - Gt 500 Quad AB's no resonators, BAMA Tune, Boss Intake Manifold, Lethal ORX, BMR LCA's/Brackets,
C&L CAI, Eibach SportLines, Steeda Hd strut mounts, CravenSpeed Stubby Antenna
Gone but not forgotten : 2012 BLACK Base GT
post #7 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-25-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Picture for reference? Is this the Boss 302 you speak of?

If so, I don't want that odd looking portion between the shift knob and the boot.

post #8 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-25-2012
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billabongrob View Post
Picture for reference? Is this the Boss 302 you speak of?

If so, I don't want that odd looking portion between the shift knob and the boot.
This is the Boss Shift Knob. I don't find the portion between the shift and the boot odd, but to each his own.

2011 Ford Mustang V8 5.0 GT/CS Black Coupe MT - (Mods in my profile, too many to list here...)
"Don't wait for tomorrow to look back and wish for today": In Memory of a great guy: Pcfrisch.
post #9 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-25-2012
Apprentice

Garage
I'd LOVE to get the aluminum satin one from American muscle along with the optional boot retainer

Problem is every time I look its NEVER in stock. sadcryweeps

2017 Mustang GT. 6 speed . Bone stock. K&N drop in air filter. Shadow black. Purchased brand new 9/5/2017.

(Sold 9/5/2017 )2012 3.7 Kona Blue, 6 Speed , 3.31 Gears. Window Sticker Online 1/26/2012 Build date 2/1/2012. ETA 2/9/2012 TAKE HOME AND RIDING 2/18/2012
K&N Drop in Filter for now. Ford Racing Boss strut tower brace. Bullitt Rims from American Muscle.
GT Member

My 2Cents

I unerstand your point. It is like a BMX bike with a 1970's Shwinn Stingray goose neck.

With that said for the spirted driver the distance from the steering wheel and the shifter for me was always a little low from the factory up to the point of the new 5.0 . I think the stock level of the new 5.0 is slightly higher and puts the driver more inline with the drivetrain.

What I did with my after market shifter was loose the collar and use a hex nut and lock washer. The next point is if you get a composite or resin style shifter knob remember not to bottom it out on the shifter thread and crack it in half. I have seen this and it's 50+ bucks down the drain. These types of knobs are hollow with a threaded insert that has no stop.

Call MGW they may have what you need they have large selection or can point you in the direction that will make U happy.

T Wayne

T Wayne
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp1seattle View Post
Is the bottom one a subaru? I want a MGW composite race
knob when I get an MGW shifter.
I just installed an MGW composite race knob with the pony logo. I like the top but the bottom looks goofy because of the way it narrows so much and doesn't match the boot diameter. They supply a grommet to fill the boot opening and hold it up against the bottom of the knob but the different diameters make it obvious that it's aftermarket. Also, the knob is somewhat taller than stock giving a feeling of a longer throw.

It's for sale at half price if you want it.

2011 Pony Pkg. convertible M6
2000 Trans Am WS7 (sold)
Apprentice

I actually really like that Boss knob set-up.

I plan on getting an Epco knob shortly ... white 2 1/4" ball with black-engraved shift pattern and chrome spacer/adapter

'13 Mustang GT. Sterling Gray, 6-spd man, Recaro seats, Track Pack. Ordered 6.6.12, born 7.25.12, mine 8.11.12. Steeda Sports, Koni Sports, 2.3L Whipple, 3.25" pulley, ID1000 injectors, JLT CAI, JDM tune. 591 RWHP, 505 RWTQ
Apprentice
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I for one feel your pain, I don't like the look either. I don't think any knob looks "cool" with the spacer between it and the boot.

I decided to bite the bullet and got a $19 black friday chrome knob at LMRS. Looks ok, plasti dipped black. The plasti dip helps some with the cold weather, and I can live with the looks.

I was suprised how much the shift feel seems affected by the heavier ball.

2013 Black GT premium~gt500 axle back
2003 RedFire GT deluxe~DiabloSport tune, BBK CAI, BBK 75mm tb, MagnaFlow cat back, 4:10's (retired to wifes car)
GT Member

Since this is a finger shift or open palm shift car, having the spacer under the ball helps your fingers get around it positively. The 400a "thumb" feels like you're trying to scoop out a fence post hole with a plastic kiddie shovel.

The raised ball shift knob I bought (AM, black) actually had a more positive effect on shift feel than even the Steeda bracket I put on first.

2014 Premium GT, SGM, Brembo, Auto, Tech, Comfort, etc. GT500s, Steeda UCA, VMP auto tune, 100 shot on BBR tune, best et: 11.38 at 120.85

2012 GT, Candy Red, Brembo, 3.73, Tech, Comfort, etc. Procal tune, Roush upper, UMI LCAs, Steeda red bracket, GT500s, 28X10X16 Hoosier slicks, best et: 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
GT Member

that first one pictured is the Steeda ball and collar, I dont like their collar either really, I replaced mine with a grabber pony polished collar.

2016 DIB GT Premium A6, Borla S-type axle backs, Rovos Pretoria wheels 20x8.5/20x10, Nitto N555G2 tires 255/35/20 and 275/35/20, Koni yellows, BMR springs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page