2013 GT Cold Weather Traction Test = Rolling Burnout! - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsadams87xx View Post
Correct, for the PZeros about there. Any lower and the car gets QUITE skiddish.
I disagree. I drive mine around 0 all day long and no notable loss of grip. Only starts to loose its flavour into the negatives.

-2012 Grabber Blue GT 6M Premium w/ Brembos, Glass Roof, HID security pkg, Rear Camera, 401a, FRPP GT500 Axle-backs, Front Pioneer TS-D6802R speakers, JHR bracket, Bondra clutch extension.
-1986 Mazda RX-7 GX - Fast Mirage 16" Wheels, Sumo Firenza 205/60R Tires, slotted brakes + performance pads. Otherwise factory stock.
-2008 Mazda Mazda3 GT Sport - Stock, 5MT.
-2004 Volvo XC90 T5 - Comfort pkg, safety pkg.
-1995 Infiniti G20 - Sold, Pioneer head unit, lighting mods, miss it dearly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Apprentice

Sounds like a good way to destroy your rear end with wheel hop. The P-Zeros that came with the brembo package are junk in temps under 60.

2011 GT, Kona Blue Brembo 3.73

Mods: Airaid CAI, Eibach Pro Kit Springs, Koni STR.T shocks and dampers, BBK Longtubes and X-pipe, Lethal OAPs, GT500 Axle Back, Forgestar F14s 19x9/20x11, Fays2 Watts Link, Barton SS and Bracket
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaBlu11GT View Post
Sounds like a good way to destroy your rear end with wheel hop. The P-Zeros that came with the brembo package are junk in temps under 60.
Maybe yours.....

-2012 Grabber Blue GT 6M Premium w/ Brembos, Glass Roof, HID security pkg, Rear Camera, 401a, FRPP GT500 Axle-backs, Front Pioneer TS-D6802R speakers, JHR bracket, Bondra clutch extension.
-1986 Mazda RX-7 GX - Fast Mirage 16" Wheels, Sumo Firenza 205/60R Tires, slotted brakes + performance pads. Otherwise factory stock.
-2008 Mazda Mazda3 GT Sport - Stock, 5MT.
-2004 Volvo XC90 T5 - Comfort pkg, safety pkg.
-1995 Infiniti G20 - Sold, Pioneer head unit, lighting mods, miss it dearly.

Shelby Gt 350 member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marjamr View Post
At what temp F would you say is the minimum you could safely drive the OE Pirelli P zeroes? This is my first Mustang (V6 with PP.) Live in North Central PA and would like to get one or two more drives in before putting it to bed for the long, long winter.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
I drove on those junk P Zero's through two winters (so did my wife). Sure, they are not "winter" tires but they weren't scary at all.

Waiting on 2019 GT500

2012 GT Vert Brembo - Stock-ish

2012 F-150 FX4 EcoBoost 4x4 406rwhp/522rwtq. The most powerful EB F-150 on the planet?

2007 GT-TSR/Stops/Turns/Custom Everything/3.4L Whipple Crusher/1000hp SOLD
post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-26-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

The tires aren't bad tires at all. I personally LOVE the tires. When it's cold, they don't grip well, but not many tires will at 45 degrees. Above 60 degrees, these tires grip great and above 75 they are like glue.

2013 GT Premium Deep Impact Blue 12.28 @ 116.29mph
Track Pack | Recaros | Bama | Steeda | Ford Racing | JBA | Eibach | J&M | 3dCarbon | Barton | Street Scene | RVinyl | Velgen | Roush | MMD | Trufiber
Sold - 2010 GT Premium - 308whp 320wtq - 12.92 @ 105.62mph
Youtube - PerformanceFanatic - Check out my 2013 Mustang Videos!
FordService

Quote:
Originally Posted by marjamr View Post
Thanks. Completely did not see that. Will have to examine the car better.
Hello marjamr,

You can also get more detailed info regarding your tires in your Owner’s Guide, under the Wheels and Tires section.

Deysha
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quan Cheese View Post
Question.. why do you have pink stripes?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Red?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

2010 Performance White GT
Department of Boost manifold
GT500 Supercharger New #'s 474 RWHP and 446 TQ

American Thunder Axlebacks
Gutted Cats
Walbro 405 and S&H Performance Wiring kit
glock22357

Double tap.vvvvvvvvvv
glock22357

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCE EATR View Post
lol yeah i know they are summer tires, but i'm just running them thru the winter to burn them off so I can get some real rubber for next year. probably going to get some 285/40/19 pzeros for the rear. they'll look nice and beefy
Let me share some exprience with you.

The standard OEM tires for Brembo cars are awesome, and max the performance of our cars......for about 5-7k miles. There are no tires that will be more "real rubber" than what is on it now. "Beefy" means nothing, the proper tires for your car mean everything. Deliberately trying to "burn them off" is going to do nothing but cost you lots of money. If you are not concerned about money, go for it.

Getting larger (wider) tires, will not help the performance of your car on balance. At best it will create understeer in corners. The very expensive OEM tires you have (and their sizes) were specifically tested and chosen for our cars, for very specific reasons.

Do what you want, it's your money. Just don't think you're smarter than the Ford engineers that spec'd the tires for our cars. And our tires are not meant for winter driving, this should be obvious.

Your OEM tires cost $1600 to replace. If you have that cheese to drop every few thousand miles, keep doing what you're doing.
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glock22357 View Post
Let me share some exprience with you.

The standard OEM tires for Brembo cars are awesome, and max the performance of our cars......for about 5-7k miles. There are no tires that will be more "real rubber" than what is on it now. "Beefy" means nothing, the proper tires for your car mean everything. Deliberately trying to "burn them off" is going to do nothing but cost you lots of money. If you are not concerned about money, go for it.

Getting larger (wider) tires, will not help the performance of your car on balance. At best it will create understeer in corners. The very expensive OEM tires you have (and their sizes) were specifically tested and chosen for our cars, for very specific reasons.

Do what you want, it's your money. Just don't think you're smarter than the Ford engineers that spec'd the tires for our cars.

Your OEM tires cost $1600 to replace. If you have that cheese to drop every few thousand miles, keep doing what you're doing.
That might be true for the brembo but stock Pirelli's for the regular GT are complete crap. The 235 all seasons broke loose like no other. I was in complete shock that ford put those on a 400hp car. I changed them within 2 months. Although they will be going back on once the temp stays below 32 or snow is in the forecast.

2012 Race Red GT Premium | MT82 3.31 | HID/Security | Steeda CAI | BAMA 91P | JLT Seperator | Steeda Shift Bracket | Steeda ProAction Shocks/Struts | Steeda Heavy Duty Strut Mounts | Eibach Pro-Kit (Dub) | J&M Adj. Panhard | GT500 Axle-Backs w/Resonator Delete | Ford Racing STB | American Muscle GT500 Black Machined 18x9/10 Nitto 555
glock22357

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacingRedGT View Post
That might be true for the brembo but stock Pirelli's for the regular GT are complete crap. The 235 all seasons broke loose like no other. I was in complete shock that ford put those on a 400hp car. I changed them within 2 months. Although they will be going back on once the temp stays below 32 or snow is in the forecast.
Sure, but what the OP has, and what we're talking about, are the OEM "MO" Brembo Pirelli tires.

FWIW, did you expect something different from all-season tires? If what you wanted was the traction and handling, you should have popped for a Brembo car, and eaten the big tire costs.
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

well one glock22357 they picked the tires they did for ALL AROUND driving. To me I will rather have really grippy loud wide tires and a cheap good high perf all seasons. When going on a cruise or to a track day throw on the good rubber any where else all seasons. And didnt C/D rate the p zeros at 9th out of 9... psh there are cheaper better tires out there... pilot super sports

2012 v6 6MT: 32kmiles
Current: Air Raid CAI, Diablosport intune, FRPP sport axle backs, Strut tower brace, 3.7 emblems, eibach adjustable sway bars, J&M lower control arms, 3.55 frpp gears, axle exchange aluminum drive shaft, 19 inch BBP wheel set up
wants:no more issues
2002 mazda miata 5MT "track rat
Future" Custom valved and springs Fat cat motorsports, 9LB wheels, toyo proxxs r888, turbo pushing 250whp, sparco seats, custom roll bar
glock22357

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangkid9234 View Post
well one glock22357 they picked the tires they did for ALL AROUND driving. To me I will rather have really grippy loud wide tires and a cheap good high perf all seasons. When going on a cruise or to a track day throw on the good rubber any where else all seasons. And didnt C/D rate the p zeros at 9th out of 9... psh there are cheaper better tires out there... pilot super sports
C&D's test had absolutely NOTHING to do with the Pirellis on Brembo cars.....nothing. Not the same tires at all. That stupid article has given everyone the completely incorrect information, and you're simply accepting the tripe. The tires on Brembo cars absolutely ARE NOT meant for all-around driving. For standard GTs? Yes, the tires are all-arounds, but not the tires on Brembo cars. If you owned a Brembo car, you would already know that.

Second, the Pirellis that are on Brembo cars ARE grippy, loud tires, but they are VERY far from cheap. $1600 a set from TireRack.com. And THEY ARE the tires you want for track days, they're meant to burn up tracks just as fast as they burn up themselves.

Are there better and cheaper tires out there? Sure. For Brembo cars, for their first 5k or so? Not better....cheaper yes, but not better.
GT Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glock22357 View Post
C&D's test had absolutely NOTHING to do with the Pirellis on Brembo cars.....nothing.
I'm all but certain he's correct: that the tires C&D tested are the exact same Pirelli P Zeros that are supplied on the Brembo Mustangs, and they did rate lowest of the nine tires tested. Unfortunately my copy of the article is at the office, so I can't verify this until tomorrow morning.

Allez Rouge
2012 GT Premium Coupe | Performance White | 401A Charcoal+Grabber Blue | Comfort Pkg | MT82 | Boss 302 Shift Knob | 18" Pony Pkg Wheels w/Brembo Pkg Center Caps | Boss/CS Front Valance | Scott Drake 5.0/Tri-bar Fender Emblems | FRPP Strut Tower Brace | Redline Hood Struts | GT500 Rear Splash Guards | Rear Spoiler Delete | Sound Tube Delete
glock22357

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allez Rouge View Post
I'm all but certain he's correct: that the tires C&D tested are the exact same Pirelli P Zeros that are supplied on the Brembo Mustangs, and they did rate lowest of the nine tires tested. Unfortunately my copy of the article is at the office, so I can't verify this until tomorrow morning.

Let's be VERY CLEAR about this, because you and everyone else is spreading incorrect information. You're reading another idiot post incorrect information, assuming it's correct, and spreading it around like a cold.

The tires tested by C&D have NOTHING TO DO with the tires on Brembo cars except a simlar tread pattern and side-wall markings.

If you do not own a Brembo car, have not shopped for replacement tires, not been forced to learn the differences between the 3 similar, same sized Pirelli Max Performance Summer tires that fit on Brembo cars, BUT ARE VERY DIFFERENT, please don't try and comment.

That article is crap, and has nothing to do with the Pirellis tires on Brembo cars, which are very, very specific "Original Mercedes" tires. An owner of a Brembo car could go onto TireRack.com, select the incorrect set of Pirelli Max Performance Summer Only tires that look exactly the same, and are the exact same OEM size, and completely wreck the handling of their car. One must know precisely which tires to get, and all three are very, very different from the tires tested by C&D.

I am not trying to suggest that the OEM Brembo tires are the best choice for every Brembo car owner when the time comes to replace the orignals. But for getting the best performance from a Brembo car they most likely will give the best absolute over-all performance around a track.....for a very short ammount of time.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page