From 6th gear back into 3rd gear a bad idea? - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
luckypony

Not very often I need to downshift even when I am in 6th. This motor is a torque monster. But sometimes I like to throw it in 4th doing about 60 and let'er'rip. Talk about a rush!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elite_Deforce View Post
Depends how far down you are going, but I would imagine 4th would be fine if you can handle it. There is nothing wrong with 3rd though, just be sure to rev match.

Others: what is this loss of traction you speak of??? Ride the clutch much?
No, what happened for me was I missed 5th and hit 3rd with no rev match. The abrupt change in speed of the engine and the transmission engaging haulting the driveline until it could catch up to the rest of the system.

SHELBY GT 350 Member

^^^been there, done that (a couple two/three times) I found the narrow gates took practice. Like I posted earlier I practice for fun now.

2012 V6 traded in for a 2017 VW GTI.

Grimace427

Rev-matching is fun as hell, but for an emergency maneuver the fewer actions the driver has to perform the better. I've 6th to 4th enough times to be able to do it at will, however I have never had to that under duress so even with practice I can't say for certain I would be able to handle a 6th to 3rd downshift when it really counted.
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimace427 View Post
Rev-matching is fun as hell, but for an emergency maneuver the fewer actions the driver has to perform the better. I've 6th to 4th enough times to be able to do it at will, however I have never had to that under duress so even with practice I can't say for certain I would be able to handle a 6th to 3rd downshift when it really counted.

I know I wouldn't be able to. That's a lot to think about when you're mind goes into fight/flight mode. The other day I saw an STi (sounded heavily modded to) get cut off by someone in a very heavy intersection and he tried to maneuver and shift but stalled and got fender bendered. It was not a pretty sight.
GT Member

Dropping into 3rd with the 2012 and prior auto seems to be common practice. Wonder if the tire traction issues still apply. So far I've had no close calls.

2012 V6 Auto / MPT Performance-Street Tune (5.0 Killa)

Apprentice

Personally I'd probably get on the horn and brakes to avoid rather than flooring it if someone decided to do something dumb on the freeway. Of course that depends on the circumstances. You would probably want to rev match or it will be rough on the synchros.

2011 GT, Kona Blue Brembo 3.73

Mods: Airaid CAI, Eibach Pro Kit Springs, Koni STR.T shocks and dampers, BBK Longtubes and X-pipe, Lethal OAPs, GT500 Axle Back, Forgestar F14s 19x9/20x11, Fays2 Watts Link, Barton SS and Bracket
PONY Member

Its called Rev Matching. I do it occasionally when traffic starts pissing me off and I have an opening to fly around.

How long have you had your car? After a while you will learn what RPM the engine needs to be at for each gear and speed.

6th down to 4th is still the safest bet for hurried situations.

Edit: Also depends on your rear gears. I wouldnt do 6th down to 3rd with anything other than 3.31's unless you are going 55 or less.

2012 Race Red GT Premium | MT82 3.31 | HID/Security | Steeda CAI | BAMA 91P | JLT Seperator | Steeda Shift Bracket | Steeda ProAction Shocks/Struts | Steeda Heavy Duty Strut Mounts | Eibach Pro-Kit (Dub) | J&M Adj. Panhard | GT500 Axle-Backs w/Resonator Delete | Ford Racing STB | American Muscle GT500 Black Machined 18x9/10 Nitto 555
SHELBY GT 350 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Thumbs up

6th to 4th is the way to go, even with 3.31' (at 60+ mph). Every time I do it I can hear Capt Picard give the command "engage" as the car makes the jump to warp factor 1

I shudder to think what 6th to 3rd would be like at that speed. I have done it at around 45 a few times and it feels like the Space Shuttle leaving the launchpad at KSC. :p

Hers:2012 Mustang GT Premium,6M,Kona Blue Exterior/Charcoal Interior, 400A, HID/Security Pkg ,Comfort Pkg.
[COLOR="DimGray"][B]His: 2014 Mustang GT Premium,6M,Sterling Gray Exterior/Charcoal Interior,400A, Reverse Sensing/Security Pkg, Comfort Pkg SMR# 3635
Apprentice

Coming from an RX-8 I'm pretty used to 6th-3rd downshifts. The MT82 really seems to "like" this maneuver, more so than going 6th-5th (that strong centering spring at work, I guess).

When you do 6th-3rd (on purpose) in the 5.0, the acceleration is intergalactic. :kooky:

2013 GT 6MT (Black)
PONY Member

While I have an AT on my Mustang, I do own cars WITHOUT SYNCROMESH and have learned to bring the engine to the speed expected upon engaging the lower gear. (Double clutching, too) (Ever do that??)
Check your tach when winding it up in third and match that speed when engaging the lower gear and all should be well assuming the car speed and engine speed are in "Synch" and not going faster down shifting to third then you would have gone accelerating while in in third.
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I tend to agree with Kona, for most emergency situations you will be able to have a greater change in the cars speed on the breaks to avoid the problem, however that being said, I enjoy the occasional 6-3 at speed on the highway, this tends to produce a pretty intense surge in my car. :kooky:

2012 GT CS Ingot Silver Vert, Edelbrock E-force supercharger with CAI and 3.5 Pulley, Tremec T-56 Mag, Accufab 84.5, Centerforce DF, Billet Yoke aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.73 Rear, MRT Performance H-pipe, Bassani axle backs, JL Audio sound, Edelbrock strut tower brace, JPC adjustable UCA, UMI adjustable panhard bar, KW V3 coilovers, Steeda heavy duty front mounts, Steeda rear LCA's, 20" Steeda Spyders with Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Steeda Big Brake Kit ....... it just keeps going.
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Wow, this is bringing back bad memories of outer belt commuting with a stick. It becomes completely intuitive after awhile but I'm so glad I have the 6R80 now.

Scott | 2012 GT Premium Coupe Performance White 6R80 HID 64M Wheels Ford All-Weather Pony Mats & Trunk Liner GT500/GT Rear Mud Flap Set Ohio's Horses License Plate Raxiom Aero Tails

If you love your dog, get a microchip, they really work! My lost dog was back home in just under 24 hours thanks to the good citizens who called the county and the microchip that told animal control exactly where he lived.
PONY Member

I have done it many times but usually between 50 and 60 mph and in straight line situations. Makes things like Camaros, Evos, 330i BMWs and such get small quick in your mirror. Just be ready to shift to fourth and have a open road in front of you For evasive manuevors I would stick with 4th

Current
2016 gt premium, ingot silver, performance package, navigation

Previous
2012 gt premium, brembos, 3.73, 6mt, kona blue

2015 Ecoboost PP black on black 401A, security, enhanced backup

glock22357

This thread is definitely a sign of the times.

Most people now rarely drive manual transmissions, and of course the vast majority of cars sold over the last few decades have been autos.

My first car was a manual, and every car since has been a manual. I dislike the detached level of attention driving an auto creates, folks just aren't paying attention out there in their auto equipped transportation appliances.

Then, when folks buy an exciting, manual equipped car like a Mustang, there's a steep learning curve. There's knowledge to gain and techniques to practice.

I really wonder how many memebers here drive auto equipped Mustangs for the basic reason of having little to no experience with manuals, plus their purchase decision was also based on driving comfort. Let's face it, driving a manual takes effort and practice, and too many folks are used to doing nothing more than selecting "D" and puttering away.

It's pretty obvious that the days of the manual transmission are about over. The automotive market place demands an easy, cacooned, pillowy driving experience. Most folks aren't interested in the exciting, immersive driving experience that a manual delivers. They just want to tilt their seat back and get their drive over with with minimum fuss, whie paying little attention to what is going on around them. They'd actually prefer for their drives to be something akin to nap-time.

Every drive is an experience for me, I get excited every time I walk to my car to head out on the road.

This is why I truly cannot understand buying a car like a Mustang, and getting an auto......it really makes no sense.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page