From 6th gear back into 3rd gear a bad idea? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-26-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Question From 6th gear back into 3rd gear a bad idea?

There's been a handful of occassions where I was cruising at 65mph on the freeway...only to have to put it into 3rd gear to avoid getting sandwiched or hit by someone changing lanes into me...will this practice kill my tranny? Or is there a better way to accelerate out of a jam?

Last edited by magnido45; 11-26-2012 at 11:29 AM. Reason: mistype
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-26-2012
SHELBY GT 350 Member

should be ok, I will suggest 4th instead. What gears are you running?

2012 V6 traded in for a 2017 VW GTI.
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-26-2012
Grimace427

It won't necessarily do any harm to the trans, however I wouldn't recommend it due to the chance it could cause the rear tires to lose traction and as a result you the driver losing control of the car. Going from 6th to 3rd causes a huge change in engine speed which could overwhelm tire grip. I recommend 6th to 5th.

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-26-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
should be ok, I will suggest 4th instead. What gears are you running?
Thanks for the reply, Strange Mud...I have 3.31 gears.
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-26-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimace427 View Post
It won't necessarily do any harm to the trans, however I wouldn't recommend it due to the chance it could cause the rear tires to lose traction and as a result you the driver losing control of the car. Going from 6th to 3rd causes a huge change in engine speed which could overwhelm tire grip. I recommend 6th to 5th.
Thanks, Grimace427...will keep your suggestion in mind. I'm afraid at 65mph in 6th gear, I'm only at around 1800 rpms on the tachometer...if I put it into 5th, I don't know if I can accelerate fast enough since I have a split second to react.

Last edited by magnido45; 11-26-2012 at 11:44 AM. Reason: mistype
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-26-2012
PONY Member

I agree on the loss of tire grip..mine chirps when I do it. I have been going back to 3rd on manual mustangs for years, they were all 5 spds and not 6, but when I started driving this new coyote with 6 I just started doing it out of habit..she really jumps with 3.73s at 60 mph.

2012 GT Premium, 6spd, 3.73 rear, Steeda shift bracket, GT500 ABs, tint, matte black OTT stripe, Boss shift knob and boot, MMD taillight trim, Infinity speaker upgrade
Previous Mustangs: 91 Lx 5.0 404 rwhp, 93 notch, 98 GTvert slow as hell,99 Gt, 2000 GT, 2001 GT, all manuals and all will be missed, mainly the 91 she was sweet.
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-26-2012
PONY Member

I go from 6th to 4th for passing and it's been plenty of power, even on a hilly highway. This is from a v6. Like others have said, it's pretty dangerous traction wise.
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-26-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Thanks guys...I will try to keep in mind that 4th gear will be a safe choice when I need to "get me out of this jam" downshift.
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-26-2012
SHELBY GT 350 Member

I've never done 6th to 3rd (intentionally) I have practiced 5th to 3rd or 4th for passing moves on two lane roads....with the tight gates I did have to learn how to hit this successfully. I still practice it once in a while for fun. if you do have the v8 4th should be all you need remember to be quick on the gas to rev match.

2012 V6 traded in for a 2017 VW GTI.
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-26-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
...if you do have the v8 4th should be all you need remember to be quick on the gas to rev match.
I do have the V8...Definitely need practice in this area...thanks.
Banned

I've done this before on accident on an intential 6 to 5 but hit 3rd instead. The transition was EXTREMELY abrupt and scared the poo out of me because the tires broke traction but everything is fine.
GT Member

This is something I do every day, either as a way to maneuver in traffic or just something to amuse myself. I have drag radials so I don't know these traction issues you guys are talking about.

2012 P8C, HP, 300A, 55D, 457
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimace427 View Post
If he rev matches to about 4400 RPMs before he puts it into 3rd it should transition smoothly and not loose grip (at least on dry roads)but I agree for most situations 6th to 4th or 5th should be just fine for an avoidance maneuver.
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminator2 View Post
If he rev matches to about 4400 RPMs before he puts it into 3rd it should transition smoothly and not loose grip (at least on dry roads)but I agree for most situations 6th to 4th or 5th should be just fine for an avoidance maneuver.

I think the OP pseudo implied that he wasn't rev matching in his third post. But either case, yeah, I rev match 3rd all the time from 6th. I tend to try and learn from my goofs.
GT Member

Depends how far down you are going, but I would imagine 4th would be fine if you can handle it. There is nothing wrong with 3rd though, just be sure to rev match.

Others: what is this loss of traction you speak of??? Ride the clutch much?

-2012 Grabber Blue GT 6M Premium w/ Brembos, Glass Roof, HID security pkg, Rear Camera, 401a, FRPP GT500 Axle-backs, Front Pioneer TS-D6802R speakers, JHR bracket, Bondra clutch extension.
-1986 Mazda RX-7 GX - Fast Mirage 16" Wheels, Sumo Firenza 205/60R Tires, slotted brakes + performance pads. Otherwise factory stock.
-2008 Mazda Mazda3 GT Sport - Stock, 5MT.
-2004 Volvo XC90 T5 - Comfort pkg, safety pkg.
-1995 Infiniti G20 - Sold, Pioneer head unit, lighting mods, miss it dearly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page