Euro Sales of Mustang being questioned - Page 4 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM Convert View Post
Some people are just afraid of change. It doesn't matter how crappy what they currently have is, or how much better a new offering is, if it's different then they don't want it. I've never understood this mentality myself, but I still occasionally still see men with mullets, so I know that some people are just that way. To me, the way a car performs always comes first. Any improvement in general performance makes the car better in my opinion. I'll happily take an awesome performing car with bland looks over a lot of bling with no substance any day. If the next-gen Mustang looks a bit like an Aston Martin, that's fine with me, as long as the performance is there. What I don't want is for the next-gen Mustang to continue to handle like a pickup truck just because a tiny percentage of "purists" don't like change.
The S197 isn't quite a crappy car that handles like a pickup truck. That said, whether the next gen will be "better" or not, what we DO know is, a base 2015 GT will sticker somewhere north of $30,000. I don't think this will endear the car to it's core fans, nor will it make the car more attractive to new buyers seeking affordable performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by by9468840 View Post
As a European I don't understand why anyone is considering speaking of fuel economy when considering a mustang? It's as stupid as wondering buying a chain saw and wondering if it could make an espresso for you! Us Europeans only buy the mustang ( we pay close to $60000 for a premium GT today!) not because of its mpg or size or technology. Because of its iron fist sheer v8 power and its mechanics that make you feel the car as if its a part of your body and its American heritage.
^^^Truth

The sad fact is, our government doesn't want us driving cars like the Mustang, anymore. New CAFE standards will require US fleets to average 50mph by 2025. Let that sink in for a moment. Compliance with these standards are going to result, soon, in far fewer high horsepower performance cars being made. Those that are sold, will do be sold at a hefty premium $$$. I'm afraid the days of the "affordable" muscle car are...(sadly) numbered.

These are the good old days.

2012 GT Yellow Blaze MT 3.73 * Steeda CAI & 91 Tune * Koni Yellows * Steeda Sports * BMR Adj. Panhard Bar, UCA, LCA's & Brackets * Barton Shifter & Bracket * Ford Brake Duct Cooling Kit * Steeda Brakes * Hypersilver Eurotek O2 19x9.5's * 275/40ZR19 Michelin PSS's * Ford Racing Touring Mufflers * GT/CS Front Valance * Boss Splitter * Blackout Fogs, Deck Lid & MMD Tail Light Trim * GT500 Rear Diffuser & Splash Guards * Infinity Ref. Fr. Speakers * Custom Faux Gas Cap * Redline Hood Struts *.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pac-man View Post
The S197 isn't quite a crappy car that handles like a pickup truck. That said, whether the next gen will be "better" or not, what we DO know is, a base 2015 GT will sticker somewhere north of $30,000. I don't think this will endear the car to it's core fans, nor will it make the car more attractive to new buyers seeking affordable performance.
Considering that the base price of a GT premium went up 7k from $27,000 to $34,000 in just 4 years (2008 vs 2012 prices) I expect an IRS Mustang with a new engine lineup (even if it includes the 5.0 there will be a new engine to go with it) to cost even more. They have to make up for the R&D in making an almost totally new car.

Sent from a lumpy rock in my lawn using Hammer & Chisel
Over: 2008 GT Premium, Black, Smoked out LED taillights, Roush window louvers, Cervinis Type IV ram air hood & hood struts, Ford Racing FR500s axlebacks, Cravenspeed stubby antenna, CDC Classic chin spoiler
Under: JLT 3 Intake with Brenspeed tune, Koni shocks & struts, J&M Extreme rear LCA's, J&M adj panhard bar, Strut tower brace, Charcoal AMR wheels, Conti Extreme DW tires 255/45/18
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IA Shelby View Post
I guess I never thought my 04 Cobra was "more like an import". Those two big fart cans out the back must have been the deciding factor.

[IMG][/IMG]
I love the 2003/04 Mustang Cobras, I think they're one of the best Mustangs ever.

2011 Ford Mustang V8 5.0 GT/CS Black Coupe MT - (Mods in my profile, too many to list here...)
"Don't wait for tomorrow to look back and wish for today": In Memory of a great guy: Pcfrisch.

MACH I Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyt03 View Post
Lol, I reported it for the butch homegirl on the right. She needs to get off that stang!

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
lol...she got better as the day went on...

2012 Ingot GT Premium / 401a / Reverse Sensing & Security / 3.73 Rear

Mods: CS Fascia w/Fogs / Saleen Grille / Flowmaster Hushpower AB / Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks / Steeda Sport Springs / Steeda HD Upper Mounts / BMR Adjustable Panhard / TPS Slotted Rotors / Hawk Pads / JLT Catch Can / Barton Shifter / Barton 2-Post Bracket / Airaid CAI / Rockers painted to match / HID Retrofit / Bama Baby!
Apprentice
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asphalt Cowboy View Post
I got my Mustang back last week in France, and I was amazed as soon as I drove off the port how the french went crazy over it. I stopped in Le Mans, where there is a track and where famous races happen from time to time; almost everyone on the streets were looking at me go by, some young guys went completely nuts screaming "It's a Mustang!", folks were taking photos and so on, it was really unbelievable! Even if I had some good comments when I was in the US, I've never seen this kind of behavior that I saw last week...
Since then, my Mustang has been sitting in my garage, but I'm sure it's gonna be the same again when I will come out again with it.

All I can say is: Ford will make good sales with the Mustang in Europe, if people have other choices than the V8, YerBuddysPony is right. But also if they keep that American look. In France, and I assume in Germany and other countries in Europe it's the same, they don't want a Mustang to look european, one of the reasons the Mustang is so popular in Europe, is because it's a true American Icon. Don't take this away Ford, or you'll screw up big time, and not only in Europe, but in America too.
I have similar experience in Europe with my 5.0. I’m based mainly in the UK but the car makes regular trips down to Spain.
The car gets huge attention wherever it goes, always positive. Bear in mind Mustangs are not rare over here but they certainly are not a common sight. They are perceived as hugely expensive to run (not true but that’s our secret) and expensive to buy, true - as importing a mustang to the UK costs as pretty much as much in GB pounds as US dollars in the states once you factor in taxes and compliance changes for UK regs. Another factor purely for the UK is the issue of LHD which puts many potential buyers off.

My fear is that if a ‘world car’ Mustang is produced Ford will instantly take away the iconic status the car has over here. I can’t think of anything worse than a 4 pot turbo coupe regardless of whether a V8 is on the options list. We will just end up with a pi**ing contest with BMW 1 and 3 series owners and let’s face it if it’s a lower cc engine, or god forbid a diesel, they will have won already simply in terms of quality of finish and handling.

At least at the moment when someone asks what car I drive the single word answer ‘Mustang’ has Kudos by the bucket load, in a 4 cylinder world that will be gone.

Ford don’t do it – or if you do at least call it Capri or Cougar.
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asphalt Cowboy View Post
I love the 2003/04 Mustang Cobras, I think they're one of the best Mustangs ever.
Thanks for the comment. I too feel they are legendary. Granted they are raw and unrefined by today's standards but that is what I like about them. Mine is tastefully modified and puts down 475/500 rwhp/rwtq so it still can hold its own with most.

In many ways it is more fun to drive than my 11GT500.

To each his own. Different perspectives make this a fun hobby.
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pac-man View Post
MSRP on a new GT right now is $31,095 which is north of $30,000, so your point is pretty much moot there. The new 2015 GT will be similarly priced to current ones with both exceeding $30k.

As for how the Mustang handles, I would like to point out that the Mustang is the ONLY car that Ford produces with Roll Stability Control. The only other vehicles that Ford makes that include this safety system are pickups and SUVs.

Roll Stability Control was created to help prevent trucks and SUVs from rolling over during emergency manuevers. Why do you think the Mustang requires a safety system made for pickups and SUVs and isn't used on any other Ford car?

Could it be because the Mustang is the only one using a pickup truck styled suspension underneath it, leaving it as the only Ford car with rollover vulnerabilities?
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM Convert View Post
...Why do you think the Mustang requires a safety system made for pickups and SUVs and isn't used on any other Ford car?

...Could it be because the Mustang is the only one using a pickup truck styled suspension underneath it, leaving it as the only Ford car with rollover vulnerabilities?
I dunno, could be. But it sounds like you know. Does the S197 Mustang have rollover vulnerabilities?

While each car had comparative strengths and weaknesses, the biggest impression I came away with; after test driving both; was that the 2012 Mustang GT was simply more fun to drive than the Camaro SS...which, ironically, (given your "truck" comment) felt comparatively heavy, sluggish and numb.

2012 GT Yellow Blaze MT 3.73 * Steeda CAI & 91 Tune * Koni Yellows * Steeda Sports * BMR Adj. Panhard Bar, UCA, LCA's & Brackets * Barton Shifter & Bracket * Ford Brake Duct Cooling Kit * Steeda Brakes * Hypersilver Eurotek O2 19x9.5's * 275/40ZR19 Michelin PSS's * Ford Racing Touring Mufflers * GT/CS Front Valance * Boss Splitter * Blackout Fogs, Deck Lid & MMD Tail Light Trim * GT500 Rear Diffuser & Splash Guards * Infinity Ref. Fr. Speakers * Custom Faux Gas Cap * Redline Hood Struts *.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page