Euro Sales of Mustang being questioned - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-26-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Euro Sales of Mustang being questioned

Just think of all the effort going into this next gen Stang to appeal to the Euro market and potentially not be so appealing to the North American bread and butter market. Would suck big time for Ford but 2 years out is a long time for a European recovery to happen.

If you follow economic news at all, you know that Europe is in a bit of economic freefall. Auto sales have been especially hard hit, with overcapacity rampant in countries where most people simply canít afford overly-taxed American imports. With the next Mustang sure to boast big engines and a healthy thirst, on top of a highly-tarriffed sticker price, some wonder if Mustang sales are worth the effort of making it available in Europe.

Ford Kills Small Coupe, Euro-Sales Of Mustang Questioned | StangTV

15 F22 M235i, JB4 Stage II, Cat delete, CAI
12 GT Prem 5.0 (Sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-26-2012
Grimace427

I disagree with the idea that Ford is putting in this effort to 'appeal' to the European market, but rather to simply 'be able' to sell their with their DOT safety and emissions laws. When I hear from YerBuddy and the other guys over there with their personal Mustangs they don't seem to complain about their popularity.

The cost of exporting(importing to them) is definitely out of my league and I won't pretend to understand what work was done to get purchase prices to be appealing, however as far as style and performance some say Ford is 'neutering' the Mustang which is my main point of contention.

post #3 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-26-2012
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimace427 View Post
The cost of exporting(importing to them) is definitely out of my league and I won't pretend to understand what work was done to get purchase prices to be appealing, however as far as style and performance some say Ford is 'neutering' the Mustang which is my main point of contention.

Same (fifteen characters) here.

post #4 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-26-2012
Seadog

If any neutering of the Mustang is being done, I put the blame on the current administration in D.C. Ford had ten years of the retro look, and feel they need to break out of the mold to keep the Mustang relevant. When the SN95 came out, it was a major change and had a lot of impact on the market. Now the Mustang needs more than a facelift. As much as I love the S197 models, I can understand the change coming. The gamble is to make a new car with the best of the past, and with a look that appeals to all car enthusiats. Considering how little the kids today are into cars, the pony cars are never going to be the game changer they once were.
post #5 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-26-2012
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
I disagree with the idea that Ford is putting in this effort to 'appeal' to the European market, but rather to simply 'be able' to sell their with their DOT safety and emissions laws. When I hear from YerBuddy and the other guys over there with their personal Mustangs they don't seem to complain about their popularity.

I kind of thought that some of the guys were overstating the popularity... until I got here. Das Germans sure do like the Mustangs. Especially the limited (GT500, Boss) ones. While I'm busy staring at the GT3's, they are staring at the Shelby's. It's pretty crazy.
post #6 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-26-2012
Banned
4.6L Member

I personally don't like current Stang, too big, so a small Euro style model will be greatly awaited here, esp if it has a turbo...tuners delight

Last edited by kenv; 11-26-2012 at 07:11 PM. Reason: bashing
post #7 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-26-2012
PONY Member

Quote:
Luckily for Ford someone alot smarter than you are is making the decisions...
Wow, way to chime in with a stupid comment and question others intelligence at the same time.

To the op, I think it is a valid concern that we may see a neutered mustang to fulfill a market that is weaker than ours at the moment. I would not be interested in a euro-mustang Ford needs to stick to the formula and keep their current enthusiasts in mind first. I am expecting to be pleased with the next mustang which should be a real M3 killer in performance as well as comfort.

2011 Black 5.0 GT/CS manual, Tech pkg, HID, Comfort pkg
1/4"wheel spacers, GT500 exhaust, AEM intake, BAMA tune, Amsoil

1995 5.0 cobra clone. BBK full exhaust, BBK intake, 70mm throttle body. (sold)
post #8 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-26-2012
GT Member

I would like to see the next Mustang be a little smaller. It wouldn't hurt my feelings to see it shed 400lbs and keep the current drivetrain options.

However, if it ends up looking like a vague wannabe Scion Xc, Hyundai Genesis, Subaru BRZ, Nissan 370Z, or Honda Veloster I'm gonna puke. The '74-78 and '94-04 Mustangs were a disaster because Ford was convinced they needed to make the Mustang more like an import. They're the crappy cars that made "retro" work so well for the S197s. I'm not a doom-and-gloom guy, but I do see the '05-14 cars being fondly remembered.

Just stick with the plan, Ford. Make the styling distinctive, handsome, and aggressive; offer a V8 under the hood; and keep a lot of options on the sheet so that everyone can afford a bada$$ car for their budget.

2012 P8C, HP, 300A, 55D, 457
post #9 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-26-2012
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46Tbird View Post
I would like to see the next Mustang be a little smaller. It wouldn't hurt my feelings to see it shed 400lbs and keep the current drivetrain options.

However, if it ends up looking like a vague wannabe Scion Xc, Hyundai Genesis, Subaru BRZ, Nissan 370Z, or Honda Veloster I'm gonna puke. The '74-78 and '94-04 Mustangs were a disaster because Ford was convinced they needed to make the Mustang more like an import. They're the crappy cars that made "retro" work so well for the S197s. I'm not a doom-and-gloom guy, but I do see the '05-14 cars being fondly remembered.

Just stick with the plan, Ford. Make the styling distinctive, handsome, and aggressive; offer a V8 under the hood; and keep a lot of options on the sheet so that everyone can afford a bada$$ car for their budget.
I agree. In my current situation I should be able to keep this mustang as a garage queen with right around 40k on the odometer. I don't plan on selling or trading. My next car will probably be a jeep mercenary and keep the mustang as a project car and something to pass down to the kids.

2012 Race Red GT Premium | MT82 3.31 | HID/Security | Steeda CAI | BAMA 91P | JLT Seperator | Steeda Shift Bracket | Steeda ProAction Shocks/Struts | Steeda Heavy Duty Strut Mounts | Eibach Pro-Kit (Dub) | J&M Adj. Panhard | GT500 Axle-Backs w/Resonator Delete | Ford Racing STB | American Muscle GT500 Black Machined 18x9/10 Nitto 555
BOSS Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seadog View Post
If any neutering of the Mustang is being done, I put the blame on the current administration in D.C.
Really? Not 12 years of almost continuously rising gas prices?
GT Member

The 2015 Mustang GT will likely be the fastest, best handling (non-Boss or GT500) Mustang ever. How exactly could anyone consider that being neutered?
GLOBAL MODERATOR
S197 Member

Ford has netured the Mustang in the past and also made them ugly,were not even sure the V8 Coyote will even fit in the new 2015 Mustang,much less the new Shelby engine,and I hope they don"t 4 or 6 banger Eco Boost that would be a real netured job.
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

With fuel prices in western Europe running around $8/gallon, a Mustang GT (or anything else under 30mpg) would not be very high on my car-shopping list.

2012 GT. Black. 300A, 55D.
Seadog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazin72 View Post
Really? Not 12 years of almost continuously rising gas prices?
The public made the choice with their purchase power what cars they wanted. I do not favor having the government limit what we can buy. Not all demands are the same. I made the choice a few years ago to buy a Taurus because of a need to make long trips and to haul my elderly parents around. Should the government tell me that I can only buy a Fiesta since the majority of my driving is around town? Part of the problem with gas prices today, is more to do with the lack of newer refineries with enough capacity to handle our needs. We are pushing existing refineries at peak capacity almost continuously. Any disruption at a single refinery, will drive prices up across the nation.

I am all for fuel efficient vehicles, but not at the expense of being able to afford it, or reliability. And if the market gets so contrained that you cannot find a vehicle suitable for a required task, then what good is it going to be. For example, the unrealistic requirements for pickups may force me to keep my 2001 with 200,000 miles much longer than I want. The only way we may see trucks meeting the goal, is if they get much smaller and go with turbo diesels. At $50,000 +, I am priced out of the truck market. That means I have to give up my boat and travel trailer because I will not be able to haul them safely.

When the first round of CAFE rules came around, we lost the ability to haul trailers with cars. It was no longe practical to build cars and station wagons with full frames and larger engines. So they replace the station wagons with truck based SUVs to meet the public demands and get around the rules.

I think the Ecoboost in the Mustang has great potential. I also think that a blend of the old Mustang styling cues with a new look has possibilities. Only when we see the final result will we be able to give it the thumbs up, or thumbs down. It is a must that the next Mustang have the Coyote engine as an option, and it have a unique identity. Euro-stangs should not get the V8, but will need handling that is first rate.
PONY Member

Quote:
There's a big difference between admiring something and actually spending your money on it. For example, after spending some time behind the wheel of a Mini Cooper S this past summer at an autocross, I have a new found respect for the car. But I'd never buy one because the interior design is absolutely terrible. I think many Europeans admire the Mustang, but its impractical for many, both in physical size, engine displacement, emissions, fuel economy, and cost. Plus, if you look at most european designs, they are vastly different than what the mustang brings to the table. It's a rough and tumble kind of car. If most Europeans wanted that sort of vehicle, they would sell in much greater numbers than they do.

Not everyone in europe loves the mustang enough to actually want to buy one. Ford's task with the next mustang is to make the mustang more palatable to the European audience---or at least that's what we've been lead to believe. If they can get the car down to something more along the size of a Fox body mustang, along with the excellent motors that Ford is producing currently, and an IRS, I think they could produce something with more universal appeal.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page