Floorjack & Jack Stand recommendations? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-26-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

Floorjack & Jack Stand recommendations?

Title says it all. I see a $70 combo craftsman set on sale.. 2 1/4 ton Floor Jack Set with 2x 2 1/4 ton Jack Stands. Craftsman isn't what it once was, so is this stuff crap? I need a good reliable floor jack and jack stands to do some simple suspension work at home. I'm frugal, not cheap, so I'll look at all suggestions!

Thanks in advance!

X

Black 2013 GT Premium | Track Package | Recaros | GT500's | JBA H-Pipe | Borla Over-Axles | OEM GT500 Spoiler | Koni Yellows | Steeda CAI/Tune | Steeda Ultralite Springs | Steeda Adjustable UCA/PHB | Steeda Billet LCAs | MGW | Forgestar F14's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-26-2012
PONY Member

I recently bought a costco floor jack 3 1/2 ton low profile jack $99. so far has worked great and I already had jack stands from my old jack.

13 GT base, 3.55, Sterling Grey, MGW shifter, BMR LCA's, GT500 AB, silver RTR's, 275/40/19 Michelin pilot super sports, more stereo equipment than I will admit to, more parts to come.

post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-26-2012
PONY Member

This set?

The jack stands look decent. That is the type I use most frequenly. A set of four is much more useful than only two. I've got a dozen and that works for me...

The lifting pad on the jack appears to have a small diameter. There are times when a large pad is handy.

The jack looks okay.

2011 GT Mustang - Performance White / Brick Red - Cashmere : 401A : Brembo : Electronics PKG : Spoiler Delete : 3.73:1 : Glass Roof : Comfort PKG : Security PKG : HID

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-26-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyhoundman View Post
I recently bought a costco floor jack 3 1/2 ton low profile jack $99. so far has worked great and I already had jack stands from my old jack.
The Arcan XL35R? Yes apparently that's a sweet, cheap jack... Which is no longer available! Bah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingless View Post
This set?

The jack stands look decent. That is the type I use most frequenly. A set of four is much more useful than only two. I've got a dozen and that works for me...

The lifting pad on the jack appears to have a small diameter. There are times when a large pad is handy.

The jack looks okay.
That's the one. I'm thinking I need to get one a bit larger, and low profile. As I'm about to drop the mustang 1.5"! The search continues. Thanks for your feedback!

Black 2013 GT Premium | Track Package | Recaros | GT500's | JBA H-Pipe | Borla Over-Axles | OEM GT500 Spoiler | Koni Yellows | Steeda CAI/Tune | Steeda Ultralite Springs | Steeda Adjustable UCA/PHB | Steeda Billet LCAs | MGW | Forgestar F14's
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-26-2012
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I have this Jack, it also comes in a case that I keep in my Stang to change tires on the quick.

It works fine... But it does require some effort pushing on it for heavier items... I also have used it on my boat trailer with the boat on it...

I ended up getting two of them for less than $30 each, When they had a Craftsman Club sale along with some Promo Points... It's a good jack, But I think there would be better if you plan on using it often for heavy work on your Mustang...

But for a quick tire change on the highway it will work great..

2015 Mustang GT Performance Package... Stock for now..
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-26-2012
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xarius View Post
I'm thinking I need to get one a bit larger, and low profile. As I'm about to drop the mustang 1.5"!
When I need to lift a very low vehicle w/ my heavy duty jack, I use a second jack on a secondary lift point to raise it enough for the primary jack at the desired primary lift point.

2011 GT Mustang - Performance White / Brick Red - Cashmere : 401A : Brembo : Electronics PKG : Spoiler Delete : 3.73:1 : Glass Roof : Comfort PKG : Security PKG : HID
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-26-2012
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphjup View Post
IBut I think there would be better if you plan on using it often for heavy work on your Mustang...
The one I use most often is a truck jack w/ a 5' long frame.

Big and heavy duty is great when lifting a vehicle.

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-26-2012
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingless View Post
When I need to lift a very low vehicle w/ my heavy duty jack, I use a second jack on a secondary lift point to raise it enough for the primary jack at the desired primary lift point.
I do the same thing but it becomes a giant pain in the a$$ after awhile. I would rather get a low profile jack and be done with it.

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-26-2012
PONY Member

harbor frieght baby!!!! i got a 2 ton, super low profile only needs like 2 5/8", rapid pump and extends up to close to 3'...its super long to...so it will reach way under the car and has a big pad...

keep in mind our entire car weighs less then 2 tons...so anything over that is over kill...as you'll probably never be lifting over half that amount...

and it was only 160.00

ive done the two jack thing, its a pain and sketchy...when we are talking about your life and the protection of your car, get the right tool for the job.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skulls View Post
harbor frieght baby!!!! i got a 2 ton, super low profile only needs like 2 5/8", rapid pump and extends up to close to 3'...its super long to...so it will reach way under the car and has a big pad...

keep in mind our entire car weighs less then 2 tons...so anything over that is over kill...as you'll probably never be lifting over half that amount...

and it was only 160.00

ive done the two jack thing, its a pain and sketchy...when we are talking about your life and the protection of your car, get the right tool for the job.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
This is exactly what I need. Do you have the exact model number for it?

GT Member

I'm using a "Harbor Freight 1.5 ton aluminum racing jack" and the Harbor Freight jack stands. I have used them several times with the Mustang and they work great. Not sure they are any cheaper then the Craftsman tools you found. If you have a local Harbor Freight, it might be worth a look.

2013 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
Candy Apple Red, Auto, FRPP Tune, GT500 Axlebacks, KONI Yellow Sport (adjustable dampers), FRPP Front and Rear swaybars, Custom Removable 4 Point Roll-Bar, BOSS 302 Low Expansion Brake Lines, Roush side splitters, GT500 spoiler, Redline Tuning hood struts,18" Ford Chromed Aluminum Wheels (9R3Z-1K007-A), Michelin Pilot Super Sports - 235X50X18
2011 Mustang V6 Premium Convertible - Gone
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

I do have a harbor freight near by. Unless it's closed up shop by now. It's in a "foreclosed" part of shopping town. lol. I'll stop in this week. Thanks all!!

PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I have this one from Harbor Freight and have no issues with it.
Low Profile Floor Jack - 2 Ton, Rapid Pump® Jack
PONY Member

I second (or third) the Harbor frieght unit. I have both the 2.5 ton low profile (Floor Jack With Rapid Pump®, 2.5 Ton Heavy Duty Steel)

And I have the lightweight aluminum racing jack (Aluminum Floor Jack - 1.5 Ton Aluminum Racing Jack) to take with when I got to the track, or need to take some where.

You can usually find them on sale for 59-69 bucks, you just have to wait until those models go on sale.

2000 GT. Track toy.
Stock motor, Maximum motorsports suspension, Cobra R wing, Stoptech brakes, TKO tranny, much more.
2013 GT, White, Track Pack, Recaro. SOLD
KW V3 coilovers / Whiteline UCA, LCA's & Brackets, F&R Swaybars, Watts link / Brake cooling ducts / Boss 302 shift knob / Steeda short shifter / .
Apprentice
S197 Member

I was looking recently and found some positive reviews of "Big Red" jacks. Might want to look into those as it seems that a lot of the reviews on Craftsman says they're leaky piles of junk...

2013 Track Pack GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page