Keyless Keypad with matching paint? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-26-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Question Keyless Keypad with matching paint?

With winter coming up I would love to have one of these. But unfortunately the only ones I can find are hideous and I wouldnt put it anywhere on my car. My wifes 2012 Edge SEL has an awesome one that has matching paint and looks nothing like the ugly black Ford OEM ones you can find online. Its slimmer and blends in very nicely.

If no one knows of any then its time for one of our sponsors to step up to the plate and start manufacturing one of these. I would spend $100-$150 on a nice color-coded one that looks like the one on my wife's Edge.

2012 Race Red GT Premium | MT82 3.31 | HID/Security | Steeda CAI | BAMA 91P | JLT Seperator | Steeda Shift Bracket | Steeda ProAction Shocks/Struts | Steeda Heavy Duty Strut Mounts | Eibach Pro-Kit (Dub) | J&M Adj. Panhard | GT500 Axle-Backs w/Resonator Delete | Ford Racing STB | American Muscle GT500 Black Machined 18x9/10 Nitto 555
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-26-2012
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

A buddy of mine bought one and mounted it on the inside of the fuel door, the day after he locked his keys inside and had to pay a locksmith to get tem out.

2014 GT500 DIB, SVT PKG, leather Recaros, Factory Nav, UPR shorty antenna, Redline hood struts

---Sold---2011 Mustang GT Premium, Kona Blue, Automatic, comfort package, electronics package, security package, backup cam, HID's , 19" Black GT500 Wheels, Steeda CAI ,Borla over axle pipes and S-type A/B, black UPR shorty antenna, JBA Longtubes JBA Catted X-Pipe,, Dyno tuned by Brenspeed...

An Armed Society is a Polite Society..

post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I know Ford still sells them but it seems to me that the remote unlock function on the key itself makes a keyless touch pad on the car completely obsolete. When they first came out it was cool, but how many decades ago was that?

And how do you lock your keys in the car if you lock it with the key as well?

Scott | 2012 GT Premium Coupe Performance White 6R80 HID 64M Wheels Ford All-Weather Pony Mats & Trunk Liner GT500/GT Rear Mud Flap Set Ohio's Horses License Plate Raxiom Aero Tails

If you love your dog, get a microchip, they really work! My lost dog was back home in just under 24 hours thanks to the good citizens who called the county and the microchip that told animal control exactly where he lived.

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012
GT Member
5.0L Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 412horses View Post
I know Ford still sells them but it seems to me that the remote unlock function on the key itself makes a keyless touch pad on the car completely obsolete. When they first came out it was cool, but how many decades ago was that?
Actually, I had the built-in pad on my SHO and the add-on on my Ranger. There are a few times where it's come in very handy.
  • Ever leave your car locked in the driveway but you are outside say, mowing the lawn, and want to get your sunglasses out of the car? Go straight to the car and unlock it.
  • As above, but your kid forgot something in the car? The kid can go straight to the car and unlock it.
  • Dead battery in the key fob? Go straight to the car and unlock it.
  • You're at the beach, waterpark, amusement park, mountain bike trail, etc. and you don't want to run your risk of losing your keys in the water/on a ride/in the forest, hide them in the trunk, console, under a floormat, etc. Go straight to the car and unlock it.
Not only can you unlock the car from the keypad, but you can pop the trunk and lock the doors from the keypad as well. If you've ever had to run into the house for your car keys to do something than actually drive it, then it's useful.
Quote:
Actually, with the OEM security system in my Focus it's pretty easy. When you unlock the car with the key fob, if you don't open an exterior door (trunk excluded) within 90 seconds it will relock the doors. One time my wife unlocked the car to put some groceries into the trunk, set the keys down on the trunk floor to pick up the bags from the cart, and slammed the trunk shut, just as the 90 seconds elapse and ka-chunk the doors relocked just as she realized the keys were in the trunk. If the Focus had the keyless entry I wouldn't have had to drive across town with my set. :p

"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin
2012 Kona Blue Mustang GT
Roush Phase 2 625HP Supercharger | Black OTT Stripe | 400A | 5.0L | 6MT | 3.55 | HID | SP | CP | BBP | EP | RVC
Mods: Forget it .... too much to list!
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012
GT Member
Classic Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 412horses View Post

As OAC_Sparky said, it is very easy to drop the keys in the trunk and slam the lid shut. Been there, done that. Fortunately it was at my house and the 2nd key was handy. I did freak out for a moment though.

Rob

2012 Kona Blue GT Premium 401A, Manual, 3.55, Steeda Pro-Action Shocks, Struts, Sport Springs, LCAs, Adjustable Swaybars, Adjustable Panhard Bar, BMR Relocation Brackets and Adjustable UCA, Driveshaft Shop Aluminum Drive Shaft, Airaid CAI, MGW Shifter, GT500 Axle-Backs, 3M Clear Bra and Tint, Side Window Louvers, JLT Oil Separator, Staggered MMD Zeven Wheels and Mickey Thompson Street Comp Tires, Bama 93 Race Tune
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012
GT Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboStang View Post
As OAC_Sparky said, it is very easy to drop the keys in the trunk and slam the lid shut. Been there, done that. Fortunately it was at my house and the 2nd key was handy. I did freak out for a moment though.

Rob
Ha! I did that once and locked my dog in the trunk! I dropped the poop bag into the trunk and as I was shutting it my dog jumped in and I dropped the keys. :nogrinner

Had to call the wife to bail me out. He was pretty happy to see me.

2012 Kona Blue V6 6MT Pony package. 2.73 rear end, comfort package, Charcoal leather interior.

Driving it since 5/09/2011

Mods: Ford Mustang STB, Epco Rally stripe shifter ball, AFE non-oiled Air filter, Airaid mid pipe, GT500 Splash Guards, Ford Racing Rear Sway bar links and bushing kit, BMR rear LCA's, Bilstein monotube shocks, Eibach Pro-kit Springs.
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynegiddings View Post
A buddy of mine bought one and mounted it on the inside of the fuel door, the day after he locked his keys inside and had to pay a locksmith to get tem out.
Link?

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 15 characters.
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012
GT Member

mine matches perfect!! not even painted!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	keypad.jpg
Views:	404
Size:	738.8 KB
ID:	167300  

2014 Black 5.0 Track Pack with to many mods.
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Sweet spot actually. Kudos to you... It would annoy me tho. As per locking keys... I dropped my keys in
The trunk atleast 3 times and i dont use my key fob every time sometimes as im stepping out i just press the lock button
On the door

2012 v6 6MT: 32kmiles
Current: Air Raid CAI, Diablosport intune, FRPP sport axle backs, Strut tower brace, 3.7 emblems, eibach adjustable sway bars, J&M lower control arms, 3.55 frpp gears, axle exchange aluminum drive shaft, 19 inch BBP wheel set up
wants:no more issues
2002 mazda miata 5MT "track rat
Future" Custom valved and springs Fat cat motorsports, 9LB wheels, toyo proxxs r888, turbo pushing 250whp, sparco seats, custom roll bar
PONY Member

My 2013 Mustang is the first Ford that doesn't have it. I really like it, and as stated above, there are many useful situations for it. I love not having to ever worry about locking myself out with my other vehicles. My truck is old enough that the keypad allows me to leave the truck running with the doors locked. It's real handy to start the truck in the winter, turn on the heat, lock the doors, and then get in with the keypad.

Tim

Mustang base coupe, V6, manual transmission, Red Candy tint, performance package.

Upgrades: DSS aluminum driveshaft, BMR LCA's, Yukon 3.73 gears, MGW shifter.

Displaying 3.7 fender badges is like telling everyone your wife is "office hot."

PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackpenguin69 View Post
mine matches perfect!! not even painted!
Did you have that installed at the dealer, or did you do it yourself? I'd love to do that to my car. Details please!!!!

Thanks,

Tim

Mustang base coupe, V6, manual transmission, Red Candy tint, performance package.

Upgrades: DSS aluminum driveshaft, BMR LCA's, Yukon 3.73 gears, MGW shifter.

Displaying 3.7 fender badges is like telling everyone your wife is "office hot."

MACH I Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Is there actually room on the gas cap for this? I have a feeling i wouldn't shut if it was stuck on the back of it.

2012 Mustang V6 Premium | Black on Black - SOLD
Options:6-speed automatic | pony package | HID headlamps | security package | reverse sensing system | comfort package
Build date: 5/12/2011 | Purchased: 6/7/2011
Mods: tape stripe delete | 20% tint | Dynomax SS cat-back exhaust (39507) | smoked side markers | Injen intake (PF9022WB)
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandoTheKing View Post
Link?

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 15 characters.
Just look on ebay, just saw one for $71. Wireless keypad, under 2011 mustang parts section. would be easy to mount inside the fuel door.. That's what my buddy did.. I have been meaning to get one , will be kicking myself if I lock the keys in the car before I get one.

2014 GT500 DIB, SVT PKG, leather Recaros, Factory Nav, UPR shorty antenna, Redline hood struts

---Sold---2011 Mustang GT Premium, Kona Blue, Automatic, comfort package, electronics package, security package, backup cam, HID's , 19" Black GT500 Wheels, Steeda CAI ,Borla over axle pipes and S-type A/B, black UPR shorty antenna, JBA Longtubes JBA Catted X-Pipe,, Dyno tuned by Brenspeed...

GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim13 View Post
Did you have that installed at the dealer, or did you do it yourself? I'd love to do that to my car. Details please!!!!

Thanks,

Tim
no, my dad picked it up at his dealer cuz mine only had this huge one at least twice the size.. looked terrible.. it was 85$ and it just sticks on with 3m tape. runs of batteries like the key fob 2016 i believe. it comes with instructions on how to sync it to the car. its that turn the key blah blah times and push the brake and then turn the key and push some buttons stuff.. its very good at explaining it.. you can set your own code or use the one that it came with.

2014 Black 5.0 Track Pack with to many mods.
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickAKATed10 View Post
Is there actually room on the gas cap for this? I have a feeling i wouldn't shut if it was stuck on the back of it.
He got a small wireless one from eBay , works great. Hides perfect.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page