So poll time pay off vs mod who does what - Page 5 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Apprentice

me personaly i choose to finance my car, not because i couldnt afford it but because i decided i would rather finance the car, make double and sometimes tripple payments and still be able to mod the car as i please. but being in the military i know exactly what i will make every month. it will never go up or down more the about $50 per month unless i get promoted. and i know i will have the car paid off before i leave germany. and at the rate im saveing money im pretty sure i will be able to reach my goal of 1,000HP before i leave here also.

and to the people saying if you cant afford to pay cash for something you cant afford it. i belive that is true for credit cards not investments like cars and houses.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 104 (permalink) Old 11-28-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

1000 hp is it a dd? Lol I've literally been reading on sc stuff on here last 5 hours lol now leaning towards a vortech due to price point and ability to expand at later time

Current
12 5.0 white A6 stormtrooper 18x9 18x10 amrs borla s types tru fiber 3in cowl , gt500 spoiler, mmd louvers now to performance and suspension
11 5.0 black on black 6mt comfort package , bama tune, airraid cai, elenor scoops, side scoops, gt500 wing, speeddawgs shift knob gb. Vortech blow - sold
2005 V6 grabber blue , elenor hood wing scoops , foose rims 18x9 18x10 , Bama tuned, dual exhaust. Sold
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Paid mine cash, then paid cash also for mods. No monthly payments, no interests.
But if you can't pay cash then payments are your only choice, and I would pay off the Mustang before I do anything else.

2011 Ford Mustang V8 5.0 GT/CS Black Coupe MT - (Mods in my profile, too many to list here...)
"Don't wait for tomorrow to look back and wish for today": In Memory of a great guy: Pcfrisch.

PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1993 mustang View Post
me personaly i choose to finance my car, not because i couldnt afford it but because i decided i would rather finance the car, make double and sometimes tripple payments and still be able to mod the car as i please. but being in the military i know exactly what i will make every month. it will never go up or down more the about $50 per month unless i get promoted. and i know i will have the car paid off before i leave germany. and at the rate im saveing money im pretty sure i will be able to reach my goal of 1,000HP before i leave here also.

and to the people saying if you cant afford to pay cash for something you cant afford it. i belive that is true for credit cards not investments like cars and houses.
while i agree with you...a car is not an invetment...it depreciates in value and thus is not an investment, if its paid off and holds value you could consider it an asset or if it had postive equtity then that portion could be an asset but not an investment.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Rookie

Well got a 2011 GT Brembo last month for 22 grand with 39k on it from a Honda dealership. Spent enough on mods for two car payments before the first payment was even due. This is going to be fun.

2011 Mustang Gt- 400A, Black/Black, Brembo, 3.73, Lethal(JBA) H-Pipe, Pypes A/B, UMI adj. UCA, SR Shifter, Barton Bracket, JHR clutch line, J&M LCAs, Boss Oil Cooler, WeatherTech Digital Fit, Black Emblems. Deletes: Resonators, Sound Tube, Spring Assist.
2007 Suburban LTZ 4x4- 5.3 Liter, 2" Ruff Country Level Kit
1995 F-350 Powerstroke 4x4 Crew Cab- Way to much to list ( Slow but fast, Fast but Slow)
1973 F-250 4x4 Highboy- Under Restoration, Built 460, C6.
post #66 of 104 (permalink) Old 11-28-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Were you worried about milage at all? And was that otd

Current
12 5.0 white A6 stormtrooper 18x9 18x10 amrs borla s types tru fiber 3in cowl , gt500 spoiler, mmd louvers now to performance and suspension
11 5.0 black on black 6mt comfort package , bama tune, airraid cai, elenor scoops, side scoops, gt500 wing, speeddawgs shift knob gb. Vortech blow - sold
2005 V6 grabber blue , elenor hood wing scoops , foose rims 18x9 18x10 , Bama tuned, dual exhaust. Sold
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by skulls View Post
while i agree with you...a car is not an invetment...it depreciates in value and thus is not an investment, if its paid off and holds value you could consider it an asset or if it had postive equtity then that portion could be an asset but not an investment.

I agree and actually by definition, you are 100% correct. A car is not an investment unless it is assumed that the value will appreciate. A Shelby Cobra or a Ford GT ended up being investments. A 2013 Mustang right now just plain and simply isn't. If anything, a car is a sunk cost.
GT Member

I guess if you can pay for a car in full and it does not hurt your economic situation then more power to ya and congrats on the good life. I would venture to say most people cannot do that and even if i could i would not. I put a decent amount down ,hell my first mustang i put zero down just signed and drove off. Credit runs the world and its best to keep yours up to par and the way to do that is have stuff like cars and homes financed. I went through ford motor credit and as long as my payments are on time ill always be able to get financed through them

Blower and stuff

622 whp and 545 wtq @ 8.5psi
AED Tune = Best mod of all
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moto111 View Post
This thread is pretty damn heated.
What did you expect?

For some reason, on the internet car forums I've been on most people have enough sense to realize that it's not worth it to talk about politics or religion. But when it comes to money, people lose all common sense and civility. All of a sudden half a given board is considered irresponsible and the other half are the "millionaires next door" and their way is the ONLY way.

There's a lot of black and white in threads about money, but I think that if you know even a little about the topic, you realize that everyone's situation is different. I have no problem if you want to you buy your car outright--good for you. But I'm also ok if you want to finance it. In either situation, it needs to be a smart decision. If your OTD price on a car is $20k, but you only have $25k in the bank, I don't think dumping that money into a car is the right way to go. This day and age, you need to balance having cash on hand with reducing debt (or not getting into any additional debt).

Personally, I have no problem with debt, as long as it's manageable and at a good rate. I like to split my money up between savings, investing for the future, and the various wants/needs of life. Some people are obsessed with having no debt with the exclusion of everything else in their life. A third of my car was paid off as soon as I left the dealership with the keys and I paid nothing out of pocket. I rolled in the value of my previous car into the mustang---and that included paying off the $3k I owed on the previous car when I got rid of it. I'm also almost a year ahead on my payments. So, I'm certainly no where near underwater on the car. And I just bought a house--which I likely would have had to put off if I just dropped my cash to pay off the car.

My debt is pretty reasonable with how much I owe vs how much I make. I wouldn't let anyone on a board like this tell you what the right or wrong way to spend your money is. Trust me, you'll know when you're about to make a mistake. The problem is if you keep going forward.

Oh and to answer your question, I mod lightly, if at all, when I'm making payments. I bought the mustang because aside from the suspension, it's pretty perfect for me as is. There are a couple of small items to change in addtion, but I'll do one or two of those per year. For 2013, I plan on getting rid of the terrible plastic steering wheel that came with the car.
GT Member
S197 Member

Beautifully stated, FirstFord94.

There is not one word in there that I would take issue with.

Bravo, sir. Bravo.

Allez Rouge
2012 GT Premium Coupe | Performance White | 401A Charcoal+Grabber Blue | Comfort Pkg | MT82 | Boss 302 Shift Knob | 18" Pony Pkg Wheels w/Brembo Pkg Center Caps | Boss/CS Front Valance | Scott Drake 5.0/Tri-bar Fender Emblems | FRPP Strut Tower Brace | Redline Hood Struts | GT500 Rear Splash Guards | Rear Spoiler Delete | Sound Tube Delete
post #71 of 104 (permalink) Old 11-28-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Good write up and I agree just pay what you can afford and be happy. I'm fully set on my plans now thanks to this thread. I'd also like to take a bow my first 5 page thread with a meaning lol

Current
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVA_Mike View Post
Please.

Congrats. You paid for your car in cash. Quit talking down to everyone else. The only debt I carry are my car and home... No other debt. My degree is paid for too. I make great cash and I save a huge chunk of it for retirement, and so does my wife. What we CHOSE to have is disposable income for nice things in our house, travel, and a paid for private education for our daughter. Paid for in cash.

Every time a discussion like this comes up you try to roll through like the Pope, bro. Quit turning it into a pissing match and making everyone else out to be broke. Because you're wrong. There's more than one way to skin a cat. There is an acceptable amount of debt to carry, and it varies from one person to another.
+1 some will always look down on others no matter what. Must've been bullied as a kid and now uses his Stang to build his confidence

Im doing what you're doing as well. Payment is $180 but i throw $600 at it every month.

2011 V6 Convertible Kona Blue I Billet Grille
Ford Racing exhaust I Ford Racing M5300N Springs
Airaid CAI I Bama 91 Hybrid Tune
Koni STR.T Shocks
American Racing Bullit Chrome 18" Wheels
255/45/18 Pilot Sport A/S Plus
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StangFan25 View Post
+1 some will always look down on others no matter what. Must've been bullied as a kid and now uses his Stang to build his confidence.
Actually, that's what my big hair is for. The stang is for me

-2012 Grabber Blue GT 6M Premium w/ Brembos, Glass Roof, HID security pkg, Rear Camera, 401a, FRPP GT500 Axle-backs, Front Pioneer TS-D6802R speakers, JHR bracket, Bondra clutch extension.
-1986 Mazda RX-7 GX - Fast Mirage 16" Wheels, Sumo Firenza 205/60R Tires, slotted brakes + performance pads. Otherwise factory stock.
-2008 Mazda Mazda3 GT Sport - Stock, 5MT.
-2004 Volvo XC90 T5 - Comfort pkg, safety pkg.
-1995 Infiniti G20 - Sold, Pioneer head unit, lighting mods, miss it dearly.
PONY Member

Here's what Ford is offering right now for incentives for the Mustang-

0% APR for 66 Months plus 500 Cash Bonus

Even if you have the cash it would better to finance the car. You can always pay it off when the first bill comes.

Seadog

How you finance your car is an individual decision based on current factors. I have bought cars in every normal manner, and it does not matter as long as you make reasonable expectations of your ability to pay. Two things to remember, do not do anything which will hurt your credit rating, and do not buy everything with cash. I had a professor in college that spent twenty years in the AF. A bachelor and colonel, he paid cash for everything. When he got out, he tried to buy a house. With no credit history, he could not get a loan. He spent a year taking out minor loans to establish his credit rating.

I bought my Taurus on a five year note, paid it off in two years. Then a year later, I had to buy a house for my sister to live in. I had the cash for all but $15,000, and refinanced the Taurus because it was cheaper than a home loan. While it seems a strange scenario, good financial management is looking at various possiblities and making common sense decisons.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page