alright the boxes are stacking up, what might be hard to install? - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
PONY Member
5.0L Member

No hood struts? Everyone forgets these. I too did the MGW, DSS Shaft, and SS lines, I went with Goodridge. Are you going with Dot-4 ATE Super Blue? I was warned it would stain the stock plastic reservoir but I don't care.

I heard my buddy cursing a lot when installing the DSS under the car when I was putting the MGW up top. There was something about the bolts that was pissing him off that I can't recall. Don't forget to measure the shaft once the car is back on the ground, there is a warning on your instructions to do this. We measured at first when the car was still on the jacks and it was out of spec and I was saying, 'man, how could this be screwed up, I know we did this right' then we realized the car was still in the air with the rear axle hanging down. D'oh! :nogrinner

Also plan on doing the MGW same day as the shaft, as you will obviously have easier install with the shifter with the OEM shaft out of the way...

Here's a post I did on the MGW. I hear the design recently changed, but most of the info here should still be good.

How to install your MGW MT-82 Shifter & Heat Shield

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

F91
GT Member
5.0L Member

Garage
If you give me a couple weeks heads up, I will see what I can do. I had an aftermarket billet set of LCA's with poly bushings first. The spherical bushings are light years ahead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skulls View Post
hey thanks for the offer...parts wont go on until the beginning of 2013...so if your here, ill take you out for drinks to those bars if you help ;-)...super nice of you.

i hope they are good, i bought them over the bmr for the main reason of them being round and not boxed...but got a decent deal non the less.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

2011 GT | MT82 | 3.73 | Brembos | Barton | Airaid | CDC chin | Corsa X pipe & Xtremes | DSS Aluminum Shaft | BMR Rear loop & LCA relocating brackets | J&M Extreme LCA | Koni Yellows | Steeda Sports | UMI Panhard | SCT & BAMA
"Yo, nutsack! Let me tell you something, man, muscle beats import every time. You know what I'm saying? Every time!" - Dwight
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-01-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace72ace View Post
No hood struts? Everyone forgets these. I too did the MGW, DSS Shaft, and SS lines, I went with Goodridge. Are you going with Dot-4 ATE Super Blue? I was warned it would stain the stock plastic reservoir but I don't care.

I heard my buddy cursing a lot when installing the DSS under the car when I was putting the MGW up top. There was something about the bolts that was pissing him off that I can't recall. Don't forget to measure the shaft once the car is back on the ground, there is a warning on your instructions to do this. We measured at first when the car was still on the jacks and it was out of spec and I was saying, 'man, how could this be screwed up, I know we did this right' then we realized the car was still in the air with the rear axle hanging down. D'oh! :nogrinner

Also plan on doing the MGW same day as the shaft, as you will obviously have easier install with the shifter with the OEM shaft out of the way...

Here's a post I did on the MGW. I hear the design recently changed, but most of the info here should still be good.

How to install your MGW MT-82 Shifter & Heat Shield
nope i got hood strust...but i have zero concern about putting those in...

good info about the shaft, ill be getting rest of this stuff this week, so to take the edge off of not being to install anything ill be going over the instruction manuals a sh!t load of times.

how do you like the driveshaft, i went with it because it seems like they did thier homework WAY more then any of the others and from stuff i read their's did not have the annoying issues of the other companies...

i will for sure be doing the shifter same day as the shaf, in fact ill be taking a friday and monday off from, so ive got for full days to do everything...ill hope it takes no more then 3 so i haveva whole day to go mess around with the car.

post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-01-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by F91 View Post
If you give me a couple weeks heads up, I will see what I can do. I had an aftermarket billet set of LCA's with poly bushings first. The spherical bushings are light years ahead.
dude thats really nice of you...but dont worry about it.

that was my thinking when i decided what route to go on the lca's...the sphericals just made more sense...glad to hear it was the right call...

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace72ace View Post
Don't forget to measure the shaft once the car is back on the ground, there is a warning on your instructions to do this.
What is the purpose measuring the length of the drive shaft? It not like there is anything to adjust here.
F91
GT Member
5.0L Member

Garage
There is a little bit of "play" in the DSS shaft when you factor in the front and rear yokes. There is a dimension near the CV joint that cannot be exceeded once installed. I forget the number, but mine was really, really close to being over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevegt2012 View Post
What is the purpose measuring the length of the drive shaft? It not like there is anything to adjust here.

2011 GT | MT82 | 3.73 | Brembos | Barton | Airaid | CDC chin | Corsa X pipe & Xtremes | DSS Aluminum Shaft | BMR Rear loop & LCA relocating brackets | J&M Extreme LCA | Koni Yellows | Steeda Sports | UMI Panhard | SCT & BAMA
"Yo, nutsack! Let me tell you something, man, muscle beats import every time. You know what I'm saying? Every time!" - Dwight
F91
GT Member
5.0L Member

Garage
It's not an issue if the timing is right. I have lots of friends in Portland, I lived there for 6 years, Clackamas -Milwaukee area. I would get something out of it too as I plan to do the brake lines on mine one day.

Quote:
dude thats really nice of you...but dont worry about it.

that was my thinking when i decided what route to go on the lca's...the sphericals just made more sense...glad to hear it was the right call...

Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08GTCA View Post
Most of that is a pretty straight foreward install. If you install the front springs onto the struts first, you will need a spring compressor. Then you can just r&r most everything else. Most all of the nuts on Ford suspension parts are said to be one time use only. I replaced the sway bar nuts and shock / strut nuts when i did mine just to be safe. The sway bar links can come loose and cause a clunk.
The strut mounting bolts are single use as well.

2012 Red Candy GT Premium, 6MT, 401A, Brembo, GT Acc Pack 5, HIDs, Sat Nav
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Skull, nice list

2012 V6 traded in for a 2017 VW GTI.
Site Sponsor

Quote:
hey thanks for the offer...parts wont go on until the beginning of 2013...so if your here, ill take you out for drinks to those bars if you help ;-)...super nice of you.

i hope they are good, i bought them over the bmr for the main reason of them being round and not boxed...but got a decent deal non the less.

I usually hear "because they were cheaper" but not due to the stronger boxed tubing:?:

Out of curiosity, what makes you prefer a tubular design over a boxed design?

If you have any questions about the parts, or setting anything up, please give me a call!

Dylan Abbott
[email protected]

www.bmrsuspension.com

VISIT FOR PRODUCT ADVICE, TECH AND SUPPORT ON FACEBOOK. www.facebook.com/BMRMustangSupport
Apprentice

Very nice list, I have a nice stack of boxes ready to be installed when I pick up my car in a few weeks. I can't wait, although I am only home for a few weeks on R&R so will be having a shop do my suspension. Hope to see pics in the near future!

2013 Mustang GT Premium Package 400A, 6MT, Grabber Blue, 3.73s, Brembo package, Electronics package

Eibach pro springs, MGW Short shifter, Borla ATAK axlebacks, Magnaflow O/R X pipe, BMR adjustable Panhard bar, J&M lower control arms, SHR black fuel door, JLT oil separator, quarter window louvers, painted Redline hood struts, 20" Forgestar F14s staggered in textured matte black and 15% tint all around!
post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by F91 View Post
It's not an issue if the timing is right. I have lots of friends in Portland, I lived there for 6 years, Clackamas -Milwaukee area. I would get something out of it too as I plan to do the brake lines on mine one day.
then maybe we can figure something out...it woukd be great having somone who has done some of this stuff, for sure!

post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR Tech View Post
I usually hear "because they were cheaper" but not due to the stronger boxed tubing:?:

Out of curiosity, what makes you prefer a tubular design over a boxed design?

If you have any questions about the parts, or setting anything up, please give me a call!
round tubular just makes more sense in my mind...(but i litterly just googled this and my thinking seems to be wrong...same thickness and material sqaure is stronger but also heavier...so i learned a lesson)

thank you for your offer...even though not all the parts are yours...

Site Sponsor

Sounds fair enough.

No problem, let me know if you need anything.

Dylan Abbott
[email protected]

www.bmrsuspension.com

VISIT FOR PRODUCT ADVICE, TECH AND SUPPORT ON FACEBOOK. www.facebook.com/BMRMustangSupport
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page