Questions about tint - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Questions about tint

Lately, I've been wanting to get 15%-20% tint (although I might have to settle for something like 30% tint) and I got some estimates around.

One shop said $220 with a lifetime warranty.
The next shop had two options, the metallic (he said it doesnt interfere with radio) was $180 and the ceramic was $400 (hell no). Both with lifetime warranty. They use Llumar if I remember correctly.
The last shop I checked has two options as well and they're both priced for this month only (which is why I wanted to check the normal prices around here), the dye tint with a 5 year warranty for $99 or the same dye tint but with a lifetime warranty for $140. They use 3M and Madico, that's what I remember.

I asked the last shop why didnt they have non-dye tint and he said they both fade over time. I was under the idea that non-dye tint doesnt turn purple like dye does.. How long does it usually take until dye tint turns purple anyway?

The $99 dye tint looks good (15% on the green Camaro) but I'm just worried about it turning purple. Not really sure if unlimited warranty would mean much if I plan on moving from here in the future.

What shop would you go with?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo Nov 27, 4 30 20 PM.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	172.1 KB
ID:	167338   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo Nov 27, 4 27 21 PM.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	164.1 KB
ID:	167339   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo Nov 27, 4 27 17 PM.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	160.2 KB
ID:	167340   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo Nov 27, 4 27 10 PM.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	139.5 KB
ID:	167341  

That good ol' red (Boss 302), white (GT/CS) and blue (5.0)!
2008 Mustang GT/CS: 5 speed | FRPP 4.10 Gears | Bama 93H Tune | Magnaflow Magnapacks | Bassani O/R X Pipe | Airaid CAI | MGW | J&M LCAs | Saleens 19x8.5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012
Apprentice

Theres several things that i would do before picking a shop at this point. Google search for reviews of the shop this may or may not bring up reputation. When getting tint done the work is just important as the product quality. The best stuff can be applied like sh***. online reviews will help with finding a reputable shop. Also find out if they machine cut the tint (via templates) or if it is hand cut when installing. Id lean towards a shop that has machine cut tint. I know i didnt help chose but this may help you.

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012
PONY Member

go to a shop that has it computer lazer cut for your vehicle. for best results take interior off of rear and side windows. dont get dye tint. i paid 150 for my windows when i was 15 and they have stayed perfect. get a look at other cars that they have done up close. as i said though if they are cutting it themselves its going to look less than satisfactory. mine looks almost entirely factory. if you get it done do nottttt roll your windows down for 3 to 5 days. you will thank me later. luckily i didnt do this.

Thunderhead289 youtube

My Comprehensive 302/5.0 Extreme Budget Build
thunderhead motors 302 @ google search

21 already. life sure goes fast. . .

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012
GT Member
5.0L Member

Garage
i paid only $175 for 5% on mine, all windows but the front and front windshield are 30% so im legal still.

2016 Mustang GT 5.0 Magnetic Metallic Performance Package
Interior - Recaro Bucket Seats, Weathertech Digital Fit Floor Mats, Diode Dynamics LED Visor Mirror Lights, LED Glove Box Light, LED Trunk Light, and LED Map Light
Exterior -Dealer Installed Shelby GT350 Racing Stripes, SunTek Carbon 15% Tint, Diode Dynamics LED Switchback Blinkers, LED Reverse Light
Performance - MBRP Race Series 3" Catback
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

What happens if you do roll down the window too early? I've always wondered about that. I was thinking about finding a way to cover up the window buttons so no one can accidentally roll them down.

I cant really find reviews for the place with the $99 tint, but the place with the $180 tint seems to have really good reviews and is normally mentioned on other car forums. There was another shop around here but when I was out looking for it, I just couldnt seem to find the place so I just moved on to the next shop.

So while $99 seems pretty cheap for tint (although its dye), would paying $180 for the metallic (hopefully non-dye) tint be a decent price?

2008 Mustang GT/CS: 5 speed | FRPP 4.10 Gears | Bama 93H Tune | Magnaflow Magnapacks | Bassani O/R X Pipe | Airaid CAI | MGW | J&M LCAs | Saleens 19x8.5
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012
PONY Member

I can tell you I have had Llumar Tint on my last few cars and never had a problem with the tint.

I just had my 13 tinted at a new (to me) shop and they did a crap job lots of dust/lint under the tint in the quarters and rear window. It will be going back for a redo soon.

Oh and if you roll down the windows while it is still "wet" the tint can wrinkle up.

13 GT base, 3.55, Sterling Grey, MGW shifter, BMR LCA's, GT500 AB, silver RTR's, 275/40/19 Michelin pilot super sports, more stereo equipment than I will admit to, more parts to come.

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyhoundman View Post
I can tell you I have had Llumar Tint on my last few cars and never had a problem with the tint.

I just had my 13 tinted at a new (to me) shop and they did a crap job lots of dust/lint under the tint in the quarters and rear window. It will be going back for a redo soon.

Oh and if you roll down the windows while it is still "wet" the tint can wrinkle up.
What kind of tint is it? Ceramic? Carbon? Metallic?

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT Gone View Post
What happens if you do roll down the window too early? I've always wondered about that. I was thinking about finding a way to cover up the window buttons so no one can accidentally roll them down.

I cant really find reviews for the place with the $99 tint, but the place with the $180 tint seems to have really good reviews and is normally mentioned on other car forums. There was another shop around here but when I was out looking for it, I just couldnt seem to find the place so I just moved on to the next shop.

So while $99 seems pretty cheap for tint (although its dye), would paying $180 for the metallic (hopefully non-dye) tint be a decent price?
This ^^^

I was thinking more about our pillarless doors and the automatic window retractor. Would this damage the tint? Also, someone convince me to do my side windows, I'm only convinced for the back 3.

-2012 Grabber Blue GT 6M Premium w/ Brembos, Glass Roof, HID security pkg, Rear Camera, 401a, FRPP GT500 Axle-backs, Front Pioneer TS-D6802R speakers, JHR bracket, Bondra clutch extension.
-1986 Mazda RX-7 GX - Fast Mirage 16" Wheels, Sumo Firenza 205/60R Tires, slotted brakes + performance pads. Otherwise factory stock.
-2008 Mazda Mazda3 GT Sport - Stock, 5MT.
-2004 Volvo XC90 T5 - Comfort pkg, safety pkg.
-1995 Infiniti G20 - Sold, Pioneer head unit, lighting mods, miss it dearly.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012
PONY Member

Quote:
What kind of tint is it? Ceramic? Carbon? Metallic?
my previous cars were the plain dyed film not sure exactly what the current is but at $150 I assume dyed as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elite_Deforce View Post
This ^^^

I was thinking more about our pillarless doors and the automatic window retractor. Would this damage the tint? Also, someone convince me to do my side windows, I'm only convinced for the back 3.
it will be fine they usually hit the bottom of the windows with a heat gun to make sure that section is already very well secured.

13 GT base, 3.55, Sterling Grey, MGW shifter, BMR LCA's, GT500 AB, silver RTR's, 275/40/19 Michelin pilot super sports, more stereo equipment than I will admit to, more parts to come.

Apprentice

I just got the Llumar ATR tint.....15% all around though I think that the ATR is a little lighter than the dyed. At least my 20% was on my last car.

It was $226 out the door, but there is a lifetime warranty and the shop does great work.

2013 Mustang GT - Black - 6MT - Vortech V3, Brembos, GT500/Lethal H, Bilstein HD/Steeda HD/Sports, BMR LCA/PHB, Lund

-------Previously-------
1997 Cobra Vert - Triple Black - lots of mods
1996 GT - Black - some mods
1988 GT - Black - no mods
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyhoundman View Post
it will be fine they usually hit the bottom of the windows with a heat gun to make sure that section is already very well secured.
That means I have to tell them. At least in Montreal. lol

-2012 Grabber Blue GT 6M Premium w/ Brembos, Glass Roof, HID security pkg, Rear Camera, 401a, FRPP GT500 Axle-backs, Front Pioneer TS-D6802R speakers, JHR bracket, Bondra clutch extension.
-1986 Mazda RX-7 GX - Fast Mirage 16" Wheels, Sumo Firenza 205/60R Tires, slotted brakes + performance pads. Otherwise factory stock.
-2008 Mazda Mazda3 GT Sport - Stock, 5MT.
-2004 Volvo XC90 T5 - Comfort pkg, safety pkg.
-1995 Infiniti G20 - Sold, Pioneer head unit, lighting mods, miss it dearly.
PONY Member

Quote:

to make sure i didn't roll down the windows i put a thin piece of cardboard over the window switches and then taped it down with painters tape. I kept it like this for a few days, it looked like ****, but it was well worth it to make sure i didn't roll down my windows. Also you could just pop off the window switch cover and unplug the wiring harness so there isn't power to the window switches and they wont work.

2012 v6 white, base, performance package, borla ATAKs, 4 alpine type s speakers, 35% tint
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page