Can Seafoam be a blessing for Mustangs ??? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Can Seafoam be a blessing for Mustangs ???

Never been a huge fan of fuel additives, but my recent experience with Seafoam has changed that. I had heard of using it prior with boating, particularly using it at beginning of season after being winterized. I read on another forum about how it helped greatly with older Nissan vq30's, so I bought a bottle poured 12 ounces in a full 18 gallon tank and 4 ounces in break booster to intake line in my 140k mile '99 Maxima aka winter beater and let her set for 10 minutes. I bought this car from the original owner that had every reciept and did a pretty good job with maintenace.

What happened next was amazing, not just the smoke show when I restarted her, but the next day when after redlining it a few times, it suddenly woke up and is a different car. Although the car had not been running bad, it really made the car run 100% better, dramatic increase in throttle response and accelertion. I probably have over 10 gallons of gas/Seafoam mix still in car. I noticed it is still blowing a little white smoke at WOT, I am assuming this is carbon build up. As soon as gas is on empty I plan on changing the oil, although still looks very good at almost 3k miles since last change.

Just wondering if anyone has used it and are there any known concerns with using as directed ( I did not do not plan on adding and to crankcase). My Mustang now has 35k miles so I am wondering about running recommended amount through gas tank alone with several other higher milage vehicles.

Current
2016 gt premium, ingot silver, performance package, navigation

Previous
2012 gt premium, brembos, 3.73, 6mt, kona blue

2015 Ecoboost PP black on black 401A, security, enhanced backup

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

I have seen a few threads on here about it and the concensus generally seems to be good

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

I did a search on Seafoam before starting this thread. I did see mention of it, but no threads on it. Also did a internet search, and did not find anything derragatory. Curious as to the consensus by the knowledgeable of the forum.

Current

Previous

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012
PONY Member

I too have seen nothing negative about it

2007 GT Performance White
Pype Bomb Axleback
JLT Series 3 CAI
Bama 93 Hybrid Tune
Steeda Underdrive Pulleys
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012
GT Member
S197 Member

I used it in my 04 GT. My car only has 56k so I had very little smoke. I put it in the vac line oil and the gas tank. MPG might of went up a little. Don't add it to quickly or you can hydro lock the engine. You really have to screw up and dump it in like crazy to do that
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012
Apprentice
V6 Member
S197 Member

Over Thanksgiving weekend I went home to visit my parents. My dad and I added it to his truck, long story short it's a 12yr old truck and drove great but after the Seafoam it drove better then new.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012
PONY Member

Ive been using seafoam for years. Havent put it in the Mustang yet. I typically I start using one can about every 4-6 months once the engine gets to around 30-40K on the odometer.

Oil Gunk remover saved me over 4K in engine work from Honda when my 05 accord started going into limp mode at 80K. The filter for the ivtec system became clogged and honda wanted to tear the engine down and rebuild. One $6 bottle later and the clog was gone. That was 40,000 miles ago.

2012 Race Red GT Premium | MT82 3.31 | HID/Security | Steeda CAI | BAMA 91P | JLT Seperator | Steeda Shift Bracket | Steeda ProAction Shocks/Struts | Steeda Heavy Duty Strut Mounts | Eibach Pro-Kit (Dub) | J&M Adj. Panhard | GT500 Axle-Backs w/Resonator Delete | Ford Racing STB | American Muscle GT500 Black Machined 18x9/10 Nitto 555
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012
PONY Member

Been thinking about trying it in my service van 12yo with 130K on it but I am slightly afraid all the carbon and crap in it is the only thing holding it together.

13 GT base, 3.55, Sterling Grey, MGW shifter, BMR LCA's, GT500 AB, silver RTR's, 275/40/19 Michelin pilot super sports, more stereo equipment than I will admit to, more parts to come.

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012
GLOBAL MODERATOR
S197 Member

I was a mechanic for 35 years,now retired,I have ALWAYS used Seafoam,I put a 1/2 can in every tank of gas in my 2011 GT, it is also an upper cylinder lubercant and keeps the moisture out of the gas and the fuel fresh.Ethonal in gas draws moisture and gum"s things up,it is also great for winter storage,never had one problem in 40 + years of useing this product.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-28-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Good info, thanks. I will be buying more after seeing what it did for my Maxima! I wish I had known this a long time ago.

Current

Previous

PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Seafoam is good stuff. I grew up in Minnesota, where it was first available, and my dad has used it for years on everything from winterizing his old cars to snowmobiles and tractors.

If you use it in the crankcase on an older car be warned that you may develop oil leaks...not that that leaks are caused by the product, but that it can disolve the sludge that was formerly plugging the leaks.

I've used a few cans in the gas tank on my 2011 GT. A nice side benefit is I think it makes the exhaust sound more burbley when downshifting.

2011 GT Coupe Premium | MT82 | 3.55's | 400A | Red Candy/Stone | Security Pkg | Built 7/21
Installed: SVT Axelbacks w/ res delete, FRPP tune, K&N drop-in, strut tower brace, JLT oil catch can, PIAA/LEDs, GT500 splashguards, 27% tint

Sold: Rebuilt 1994 Mustang | Motorsports 5.8L/351W | HD 5M | DF clutch | 9" rear end 3.73s | Cobra 'R' brakes | aluminum driveshaft | street legal in SC (barely)
PONY Member

Used it on my motorcycle with no noticeable difference
5POINTO

I'm still afraid of the stuff. Don't think I would ever use it unless I had lots and lots of miles or some kinda issue.
PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchdogg View Post
I probably have over 10 gallons of gas/Seafoam mix still in car. I noticed it is still blowing a little white smoke at WOT, I am assuming this is carbon build up.
The seafoam will cause the engine to smoke just by itself. I used some in my used civic when I went through it. You gt some in the intake, let it sit, then start it up and add a little more while someone bumps the throttle. Your neighbors will hate you though, it smokes a lot when you clean the intake
Apprentice

worked awesome on my last vehicle

2011 Premium GT 401A Brick Red interior 19 inch charcoal rims, 373 gear 6 speed, Elenore side window scoops, 5.0 floor mats,black 5.0 badges,tinted taillights, AM black retro grille, "BMF" hood spears, MGW shifter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
seafoam

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page