"Pulled over"....HID headlights "illegal??" - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Close friend of mine happens to be a cop here in Toronto... on average he tells me they charge 5/10 drivers on his shift nightly, all running HID's in reflectors rather than in projectors... ticket varies from $150 to $220 according to him.This is happening in Toronto so consider this a heads up warning.
They were not really bothering with this during summer/fall, but he says there has been a lot of complaints from other motorists and now they're doing something about it.
I say, do spot checks for these ultra bright illegal lights,that blind everyone driving,high intensity scattered lights... how sexy is that!

2011 GTCS Candy Red;Premium leather interior package, Remote start, security package, upgraded speakers, 6MT 3:55. 35% tint all around, Borla "S" axle backs, & clear corners.
The rest is all FORD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

SHELBY GT 350 Member

don't forget they add about 5-10hp (per bulb)!

2012 V6 traded in for a 2017 VW GTI.
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st RoadRage View Post
Yes I have, but it really is not an HID issue per se, but a byproduct of wannabes trying to look like HID's. I am an EE so I have some knowledge of the eng'g issues here. The policemen have likely seen clapped out Civics running those "blue light special" bulbs which have caused wiring to be damaged and possibly sparks/fires. It has nothing to do with HID's.

Most of the melted wiring has been caused by people using illegal, non-DOT builbs with wattage ratings much higher than the 45-55w bulbs normally found in modern headlights (halogen). Some are over 100w!!! Ohm's Law establishes that the 100w bulbs will draw much higher current, and when the higher current is added to multiple lights (such as adding 100w foglight bulbs to the same circuit) the wiring rating can exceed the draw that the wire gauge was engineered to handle. The results - higher resistance in the thinner wire causes it to heat up, and in some cases enough to nelt the insulation. If the exposed wire touches metal, a spark is likely, and that spark can ignite flammable liquids or cause flammable materials to burn.

HID's run at high voltage, but low current. They actually consume less energy than conventional halogen lights, even thoough their output is greater. The danger with them is remote:

1) Finger oils can cause a hot spot and the HID bulbs can shatter
2) The step up devices needed to raise battery voltage to the high voltages needed to ionize gases can cause nerve damage if touched by someone poking where they shouldn't be poking.

All HID conversion kits I have examined have the right components to ensure a safe install - if someone is out of their league or bypasses proper parts, then ANY aftermarket part can be dangerous. I am not aware of a blanket ban on aftermarket HIDs.

HID's in Wisconsin are technically illegal. It's so stupid. So are "open airbox induction systems." The GT500 has an open airbox from the factory. The only thing that supercedes these rules is if the part is OEM. So is modifying exhaust from OEM. Now while that's no surprise, what is a surprise is that there's no dB limit so you can technically get pulled over for making your car QUIETER or not having an OEM muffler if it, say, rusts out and you get a replacement that makes your system have the exact same sound intensity. Do the police enforce any of these stupid laws? Not that I'm aware of. I've never seen it, anyway...

post #19 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-28-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by diver88 View Post
was it an Aledo cop or Fort Worth? I wish they would crack down on the illegal stuff, it gets crazy here in Fort Worth with the guys running three sets of driving lights on all at the same time plus their retro fit HIDs in halogen buckets..

they probably were just wanting to see your car
I'm pretty sure they were Parker County. I doubt Aledo even has a P.D., but I've only lived here since May (moved from SW Ft. Worth).

Yeah, they probably just wanted to check out the car. You did catch the narrative about "feeling lonely" because I hadn't been pulled over yet, and "getting on the freeway real nice," right?

I enjoyed that bit....

2013 GT Premium - DIB | 6MT | 3.73 | Brembo and Suspension Package | HID | Security Package |
GT500 AB (SVT Sport) | FRPP Pro Cal tune

Previous:
2006 Red Monte Carlo SS (traded for the new GT 5.0)
1993 Red Stang LX | 5.0 | 5MT | Hatch
Seadog

There are a lot of laws that go unenforced unless there is a clear hazard, or a political incentive to direct resources to the issue. It sounds like a case of a dead shift, and just checking things out to stay awake. Most police are cool, but Barney Fife is alive and well in all places with a police force. As long as you do not run into one of them, you are good.
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quan Cheese View Post
I always thought people cant have them because they blind other drivers.
I can look directly into my HIDs and not have any issues. It's weird to describe but it's kinda like a solar eclipse. The light goes around the center of the bulb. It's not blinding at all
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Road rage tagged the problem on illegal lights, poor wiring, scattered light, etc. Lots of car fires in Hawaii because of the kids "upgrading" thier lights any way they can on thier cars (no Mustangs that I know of). But I'm with everyone that agrees they just wanted to see the car!!

2011 Shelby Convertible w/SVT Performance & Electronics Packages
2011 Shelby GTS V6 Convertible, AT, CAI, Aluminum DS, 3.73, Tune
GT Member

Actually sounds like they were looking for a reason to impound your car. Asking for any additional modifications, and to pop the hood, etc.

Glad they weren't able to do anything unjust.

Past: 2011 3.7 6AT SG
Current: 2014 5.0 6MT Black
Banned
S197 Member

illegal search. un-constitutional. They were fishing.
post #25 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-28-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

!

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidhadriel View Post
Actually sounds like they were looking for a reason to impound your car. Asking for any additional modifications, and to pop the hood, etc.

Glad they weren't able to do anything unjust.

Well, there was no request for modification info. Hell, he probably wouldn't have known what to look for, except the obvious (physical) things.
I was proud to volunteer the info, because I was in a good mood and proud of my car.

Sometimes (God's) timing is everything.

Today I had an extremely bad day at work. It took every ounce of self-control I could muster to not be a 'road terrorist' on the way home, and just drive normally. My credo is: 'no tickets!'

(It really is the sweetest revenge with a car like ours)

If it occurred today, my attitude would have been totally different.
Him: "Can you pop the hood?"
Me: "Sure. I can tell you it's stock, and you're welcome to take pics of the headlights from the outside, if you wish, to show compliance. However, popping the hood will require a warrant."

Full stop!

2013 GT Premium - DIB | 6MT | 3.73 | Brembo and Suspension Package | HID | Security Package |
GT500 AB (SVT Sport) | FRPP Pro Cal tune

Previous:
2006 Red Monte Carlo SS (traded for the new GT 5.0)
1993 Red Stang LX | 5.0 | 5MT | Hatch
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWkonablu20115O View Post
illegal search. un-constitutional. They were fishing.
It's not an illegal search; they asked him to pop the hood, they didn't do it themselves. Saying no when they ask though almost always means they're going to really take their time.
Seadog

Most times people can tell when a cop is looking for a confrontation. And it is rare when they do. More often, they will pull someone over to issue a warning, and then get a lot of BS. When that happens, that friendly warning gets to be a very costly ticket. It always amazes me when people act stupid with the police.
PONY Member

What could be illegal under the hood?

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
Apprentice

Oh yea of little faith, why guess when the truth is out there?

Halogen Light Bulb Heavy-Duty Wire Harness | High Output Light Bulb Wire Connector Upgrade

Perhaps stop posting tech stuff? - anyone listening?

2011 GT Premium Brembo ("Spirit"), Kona/red, 1.5" drop, Goodridge SS brake lines, 3.73's, LPW Ultra diff cover, HID, JLT oil catch can, FRPP ProCal II w. Airaid, FRPP X-pipe, Roush axlebacks, Boss LS tranny cooler, Boss oil cooler, Boss radiator, Torsen T2-R; FRPP "K" springs, struts, shocks, mounts, anti-rollbars, upper strut brace, poly bushings; Barton shifter/MkII bracket, CG-Lock, Grabber knob, silver Forgestar CF5 19x9 35mm offset, AE aluminum driveshaft
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyt03 View Post
What could be illegal under the hood?

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

In many many jurisdictions across the country, modifying your car that is not of OEM specification and part number is a breach of local DOT compliance and therefore illegal. Around my area, modifying any part of your exhaust from OEM, even to make it quieter, is technically illegal. Yes, it's very illogical but that's just how the law in my area is written.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page