"Pulled over"....HID headlights "illegal??" - Page 3 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyt03 View Post
What could be illegal under the hood?

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
WTF???? what could be illeagal under the hood?

oops, my bad I thought you meant trunk....:smilie

2012 V6 traded in for a 2017 VW GTI.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
WTF???? what could be illeagal under the hood?

oops, my bad I thought you meant trunk....:smilie

It's just oregano! Spices! Nothing to see here...

GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quan Cheese View Post
I always thought people cant have them because they blind other drivers.
LOL, the aftermarket ones often do because one is usually aimed at the sky and the other one is aimed towards the right, towards the left, or straight down at the pavement. In other words, anywhere except in front of the car where they belong.

My favorite is when they can't make up their minds and one headlight is pink and one is blue.

I've never been "brighted" with my HIDs and fogs on, at least not so far.

Scott | 2012 GT Premium Coupe Performance White 6R80 HID 64M Wheels Ford All-Weather Pony Mats & Trunk Liner GT500/GT Rear Mud Flap Set Ohio's Horses License Plate Raxiom Aero Tails

If you love your dog, get a microchip, they really work! My lost dog was back home in just under 24 hours thanks to the good citizens who called the county and the microchip that told animal control exactly where he lived.

post #34 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-29-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsadams87xx View Post
In many many jurisdictions across the country, modifying your car that is not of OEM specification and part number is a breach of local DOT compliance and therefore illegal. Around my area, modifying any part of your exhaust from OEM, even to make it quieter, is technically illegal. Yes, it's very illogical but that's just how the law in my area is written.
THIS is why I'm glad that I grew up smack dab in the middle of the street-rod heydays of SoCal in the 60's and 70's! What a place and time!

(The place is a 'nanny' shizz-pool now, and I won't even visit family and friends there)

Texas is quite a bit like Cali used to be - do what you want, when you want, the way you want - and everyone will leave you alone, unless you do something blatantly irresponsible.

2013 GT Premium - DIB | 6MT | 3.73 | Brembo and Suspension Package | HID | Security Package |
GT500 AB (SVT Sport) | FRPP Pro Cal tune

Previous:
2006 Red Monte Carlo SS (traded for the new GT 5.0)
1993 Red Stang LX | 5.0 | 5MT | Hatch
Rookie
S197 Member

Wow, thats interesting, I have never heard anything like this about HID's. At least they didnt give you a ticket.
Rookie

Here is the truth about the law....and why there are lawyers....the law is grey... There are police that will enforce it to the letter, and those that will enforce it with practicality...I have had many cars,bikes,etc.. that have legal and illegal aftermarket parts on them.... In my opinion if they do not harm others, than I'm not in the wrong... But I'm also willing to pay the fines to fight my beliefs....So no matter what we do to "our" cars...they'll always be someone saying it's wrong....and someone saying it's right...the great thing is we still have the choice to do what we want to them..but we also have to deal with those choices we make...at least we keep stimulating the economy :kooky::kooky:

KB Blown 2000GT R.I.P.
Kona Blue 2012GT...the second coming
2006GTfan

More like looking for ways to get more revenue. Lately you hear a lot of BS fines going on in order to make up for drying up tax base.
Seadog

The law can be used to control the lawless, and it can also be a tool for the lawless against the law abiding. For example, you have speed laws to prevent reckless driving on roads, but it can also be used by corrupt communities to extort money from the public. You have health and safety laws to prevent the unsafe operation of businesses. But knowing that it is impossible to meet every regulation at all times, if a criminal wants to take over a property, they bribe the inspectors to enforce every law to the fine print.

They key is in who is applying the law. And what their attitude is.
post #39 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-01-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seadog View Post
The law can be used to control the lawless, and it can also be a tool for the lawless against the law abiding.
Very true. Caveat Emptor.

If that fails, molon labe!

2013 GT Premium - DIB | 6MT | 3.73 | Brembo and Suspension Package | HID | Security Package |
GT500 AB (SVT Sport) | FRPP Pro Cal tune

Previous:
2006 Red Monte Carlo SS (traded for the new GT 5.0)
1993 Red Stang LX | 5.0 | 5MT | Hatch
PONY Member
S197 Member

Lol some cops have the weirdest excuses to call something illegal. So if you had the dealer install aftermarket lights then it would be legal?

2011 Mustang GT black. Mods: JLT CAI, JBA Long Tube Headers Catted H-pipe, GT500 axle back, Bama 93 Race tune, Koni STRTs, Speeda Sports, GT500 mounts, BMR LCAs, relo brackets and panhard bar
Apprentice
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerhogger View Post
HID lights are illegal when used in housings that are meant for halogen bulbs as far as I know. 13+ mustangs come with projector style housings so they are DOT approved and legal.
Just a question powerhogger - So, you're saying that a 11-12 mustang with factory HIDs' don't have projector style housings?

Diggerpine

2011 5.0 GT Coupe/Kona Blue/6-Spd Manual/3.73 ...
GT-500 Touring Axle-Backs/DG Window Louvers/CDC Shaker Hood Intake/Hurst Billet + Shifter/Custom Hood Spear Stripes/Redline Hood Struts/GT-500 Injectors/Vortech V-3 Si-Trim Supercharger/ Eaton Detroit Truetrac Diff/FRRP 3.73s', D/R Aluminum Diff. Cover...

The Fun!...depends on my right foot...
Apprentice
V6 Member

Over here they are illegal because most people install them on non projector housings. All DOT approved projectors cut at a certain angle and point. Not only that they always cut lower on the driver side so people from the other lane facing you don't get blinded by HID's. On the other had Ricers and others are installing them on Halogen housings that don't cut the light practically blinding anyone they are facing. I got stopped many times with my HID on my four banger and ended up wining all 4 in court when I stated the actual law and that even if my HID's where aftermarket they where DOT approved with number and presented an image of the light being cut after a certain point. Most cops here know they are illegal but dont really know why they are illegal in the first place they just give you a ticket in their ignorance.

Attached is a image of how a DOT approved Projector housing cuts the light output at a certain point and the driver side being lower as stated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	images.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	5.7 KB
ID:	167602  

2013 Mustang V6 // Black // 3.31 // Performance Package
Mods: Leather Take-off, GT Brakes Take-off, Borla-S Axel-back
Seadog

The cops have a lot of regulations that they have to remember. It is not their fault if they do not have a background in why the laws are what they are. That is what the courts are for. If there is a reasonable explanation that excuses a violation, it will be heard and adjudicated. The problem with modding is that those who know, are made to suffer for the idiots who do some cheap mod, and create traffic issues that can lead to an accident. And you have law makers who do not understand the issues.
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diggerpine View Post
Just a question powerhogger - So, you're saying that a 11-12 mustang with factory HIDs' don't have projector style housings?
The're 11-12 models that come with projectors but with the simple halogen housing on others it is illegal.

With that being said, I ran HIDs on my truck before for about 3 years and never had issues with cops or others.
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

I have a friend that is a LEO, he only gets the ones that go way over 6000k or 55 watt in their halogen buckets, but they are all illegal in a non HID projector.

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p34/Siberexpress/Sterling/Stripes/af58edf0-2e2e-4ffe-a201-405b00a627bc_zpseb5ae052.jpg
2013 Performance Package V6
2013 F150 6.2L Boss
Yes it is a Boss
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page