"Pulled over"....HID headlights "illegal??" - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

"Pulled over"....HID headlights "illegal??"

So... I'm pulling into a rural gas station 1-2 miles from my rural house - near Ft. Worth...
Cop car right in front of the gas station, on the street.
I pull up to the gas pump, and cop car pulls right behind me - lights flashing. I get out, in prep to get gas, but address them:
"What's up?"
"Your headlights..."
"What's wrong about them?"
"They're illegal."
"Too bright?"
"Nope...those are HID's, right?"
"Sure...."
"They're illegal. Can you pop the hood?"
"Sure...HID's are illegal. Huh..."
"You install those yourself?"
"No. They came from the dealer this way. It's a new car - 6 months old."
(To partner, after briefly examining the installation: 'Yup, they're not aftermarket.')
"What's wrong with HID headlights?"
"Well, the [something about power supply/wiring - didn't get it all - was retrieving insurance/license, etc.] in aftermarket self-installs have been known to catch fire."
"Really?"
"Yours, obviously, are not a problem....really nice car!!"
"Yup - all stock, as you can see. Gets on the freeway real nice!"
[everyone smiles]
"I was beginning to feel lonely - I've driven thru town here for the last 6 months, and you guys never even pulled me over just to admire it!" [me, grinning] [They're grinning back]
"Well, sorry for the trouble - have a good night!"
"You guys, too..." They leave. I pump gas and leave.

Anyone ever heard of power, heat, wiring of self-installed HID's causing fires, etc.???? More research needed....

2013 GT Premium - DIB | 6MT | 3.73 | Brembo and Suspension Package | HID | Security Package |
GT500 AB (SVT Sport) | FRPP Pro Cal tune

Previous:
2006 Red Monte Carlo SS (traded for the new GT 5.0)
1993 Red Stang LX | 5.0 | 5MT | Hatch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-28-2012
Apprentice

I hadn't heard they were illegal due to fire hazard.......I know that some of the aftermarket or just ones that add blue bulbs are blinding sometimes!

2013 Mustang GT - Black - 6MT - Vortech V3, Brembos, GT500/Lethal H, Bilstein HD/Steeda HD/Sports, BMR LCA/PHB, Lund

-------Previously-------
1997 Cobra Vert - Triple Black - lots of mods
1996 GT - Black - some mods
1988 GT - Black - no mods
post #3 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-28-2012
Apprentice

Yes I have, but it really is not an HID issue per se, but a byproduct of wannabes trying to look like HID's. I am an EE so I have some knowledge of the eng'g issues here. The policemen have likely seen clapped out Civics running those "blue light special" bulbs which have caused wiring to be damaged and possibly sparks/fires. It has nothing to do with HID's.

Most of the melted wiring has been caused by people using illegal, non-DOT builbs with wattage ratings much higher than the 45-55w bulbs normally found in modern headlights (halogen). Some are over 100w!!! Ohm's Law establishes that the 100w bulbs will draw much higher current, and when the higher current is added to multiple lights (such as adding 100w foglight bulbs to the same circuit) the wiring rating can exceed the draw that the wire gauge was engineered to handle. The results - higher resistance in the thinner wire causes it to heat up, and in some cases enough to nelt the insulation. If the exposed wire touches metal, a spark is likely, and that spark can ignite flammable liquids or cause flammable materials to burn.

HID's run at high voltage, but low current. They actually consume less energy than conventional halogen lights, even thoough their output is greater. The danger with them is remote:

1) Finger oils can cause a hot spot and the HID bulbs can shatter
2) The step up devices needed to raise battery voltage to the high voltages needed to ionize gases can cause nerve damage if touched by someone poking where they shouldn't be poking.

All HID conversion kits I have examined have the right components to ensure a safe install - if someone is out of their league or bypasses proper parts, then ANY aftermarket part can be dangerous. I am not aware of a blanket ban on aftermarket HIDs.

2011 GT Premium Brembo ("Spirit"), Kona/red, 1.5" drop, Goodridge SS brake lines, 3.73's, LPW Ultra diff cover, HID, JLT oil catch can, FRPP ProCal II w. Airaid, FRPP X-pipe, Roush axlebacks, Boss LS tranny cooler, Boss oil cooler, Boss radiator, Torsen T2-R; FRPP "K" springs, struts, shocks, mounts, anti-rollbars, upper strut brace, poly bushings; Barton shifter/MkII bracket, CG-Lock, Grabber knob, silver Forgestar CF5 19x9 35mm offset, AE aluminum driveshaft

post #4 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-28-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Could be. Perhaps it was partly due to my 'fogs' being on. Dunno.
I know my bright lights weren't on, because the fogs go OFF when on brights.

Which is fun sometimes...oncoming traffic sees 4 headlights and hits their bright lights. I flip MINE on, and theirs go OFF...immediately. Heh heh...

2013 GT Premium - DIB | 6MT | 3.73 | Brembo and Suspension Package | HID | Security Package |
GT500 AB (SVT Sport) | FRPP Pro Cal tune

Previous:
2006 Red Monte Carlo SS (traded for the new GT 5.0)
1993 Red Stang LX | 5.0 | 5MT | Hatch
post #5 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-28-2012
PONY Member

I've heard they were going to start cracking down on guys just adding the HID bulbs to the Halogen buckets. I'm surprised he couldn't tell the difference, the HID bulbs in the halogen buckets make a nasty blinding scattered light , the HIDs in the new Mustangs look great, very easy on the eyes when you meet one.

was it an Aledo cop or Fort Worth? I wish they would crack down on the illegal stuff, it gets crazy here in Fort Worth with the guys running three sets of driving lights on all at the same time plus their retro fit HIDs in halogen buckets..

they probably were just wanting to see your car

2011 V6 Premium ,Grabber Blue/White Stripes/Charcoal Black, Auto/2.73, 202A Pony Package, Comfort Package.

Mods, Factory Engine Cover, Ford Strut Tower Brace, 19" Painted Aluminum Wheels/245-45-19 P-Zeros, Wheel Locks, Ford Accessory Alarm, Ford All-Weather Mats, window tint, spare tire/jack, cam cap mod.
on deck... Polk Audio db571 X 4 speakers & baffles
post #6 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-28-2012
GT Member
S197 Member

I always thought people cant have them because they blind other drivers.
post #7 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-28-2012
PONY Member

Wtf would it matter if your car caught fire or not as to make them illegal? , a cigarette could light your car up, are those illegal now too? i swear.

Last edited by kenv; 11-28-2012 at 01:51 AM. Reason: obscene language
post #8 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-28-2012
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

HID lights are illegal when used in housings that are meant for halogen bulbs as far as I know. 13+ mustangs come with projector style housings so they are DOT approved and legal.
post #9 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-28-2012
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxIsBackIn5.0 View Post
Could be. Perhaps it was partly due to my 'fogs' being on. Dunno.
I know my bright lights weren't on, because the fogs go OFF when on brights.

Which is fun sometimes...oncoming traffic sees 4 headlights and hits their bright lights. I flip MINE on, and theirs go OFF...immediately. Heh heh...
I knew some one else had this problem!
Its annoying haha!

13 V6 Premium Deep Impact Blue/White Stripes/Charcoal Black, Auto, 202A Pony Package, Comfort Package,Security Package
Mods: Factory Engine Cover, Ford Strut Tower Brace, RTR 19in wheels, Nitto Nt55,, Ford All-Weather Mats, Gt LED Grille, Airaid CAI, Borla Atak AxleBacks, GT500 Style wing, Adaptive Shifting Pigtail, Koni Yellows, Steeda Adjustable Camber Plates, and Eibach Sportline springs,BBK Ceramic Shorty Headers, MPT 92 Octane Tune, DSS Driveshaft, Ford 3.73 Gears, Brembos
PONY Member

Yeah, I've only heard that hids are illegal because of it being used in reflective housing rather than projectors. And supposively only 4300ks are dot legal. The 6ks and up (blue) are illegal because they "reduce" visual ability...or at least that's what my neighbor told me...he had 8000ks on his ricer civic and got pulled over. But I've never heard of it catching fire.

2007 GT Performance White
Pype Bomb Axleback
JLT Series 3 CAI
Bama 93 Hybrid Tune
Steeda Underdrive Pulleys
Apprentice
2.3L Member

Send a message via Yahoo to hotrodfeguy
Well they do work for Geico to keep rates down.

Working on my 427 stroker 480CI in my 65 Mustang
GT Member
5.0L Member

Garage
ive hard of them catching fire sometimes, the bulbs get to hot for the stock lenses on alot of ricers who don't change them to projectors and just reuse.

2016 Mustang GT 5.0 Magnetic Metallic Performance Package
Interior - Recaro Bucket Seats, Weathertech Digital Fit Floor Mats, Diode Dynamics LED Visor Mirror Lights, LED Glove Box Light, LED Trunk Light, and LED Map Light
Exterior -Dealer Installed Shelby GT350 Racing Stripes, SunTek Carbon 15% Tint, Diode Dynamics LED Switchback Blinkers, LED Reverse Light
Performance - MBRP Race Series 3" Catback
Banned

aftermarket HID's are kewl all the honda's and imports have them,
in all seriousness there's a lot of cheap hid kits out there very poor quality and cheap ballest i once had a pair that enjoyed blowing fuses. just dont get them from ebay lol
PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diver88 View Post
I've heard they were going to start cracking down on guys just adding the HID bulbs to the Halogen buckets. I'm surprised he couldn't tell the difference, the HID bulbs in the halogen buckets make a nasty blinding scattered light , the HIDs in the new Mustangs look great, very easy on the eyes when you meet one.

was it an Aledo cop or Fort Worth? I wish they would crack down on the illegal stuff, it gets crazy here in Fort Worth with the guys running three sets of driving lights on all at the same time plus their retro fit HIDs in halogen buckets..

they probably were just wanting to see your car
This^^^^^^^!!!!

SHELBY GT 350 Member

It sounds like they were just fishing, at least they were respectful about it.

I hope you smoked the tires for them.

2012 V6 traded in for a 2017 VW GTI.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page