Painting plastic - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-29-2012
Seadog

Question Painting plastic

Do not ask me why, because I really don't know why I want to do this, but I am wanting to paint the radiator cover on my 2013. Are there any issues with doing this? I wonder that the plastic may be too flexible to hold up, or that it may require something besides a paint.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-29-2012
Grimace427

If it is that rough textured plastic I think it is, it should allow paint to adhere very well and last a while. There are plenty of cars with painted radiator covers and they are even for sale. Some guys have flames on there!

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-29-2012
GT Member
S197 Member

Do you mean the flat, horizontal piece the hood prop rod clips onto? If so, at least one online vendor (can't recall which) offers those painted to match the various body colors, and I've seen plenty of pics of home-brewed paint jobs, some with elaborate graphics. So I don't think there would be any issues, given proper preparation.

Allez Rouge
2012 GT Premium Coupe | Performance White | 401A Charcoal+Grabber Blue | Comfort Pkg | MT82 | Boss 302 Shift Knob | 18" Pony Pkg Wheels w/Brembo Pkg Center Caps | Boss/CS Front Valance | Scott Drake 5.0/Tri-bar Fender Emblems | FRPP Strut Tower Brace | Redline Hood Struts | GT500 Rear Splash Guards | Rear Spoiler Delete | Sound Tube Delete

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-30-2012
GT Member
5.0L Member

Option 1. Krylon Fusion
Option 2. Duplicolor Adhesion Promotor and top coat with rattle can paint of your choice.

1989 GT - Show Car Project
Mods: AFR165 - Comp XE264-12 cam, WC T5Z, Tmoss Cobra Intake, full bolt-ons, 305 rwhp / 345 rwtq
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-30-2012
SHELBY GT 350 Member

I saw a photo of someone who did this it made much more of a differance than I would have guessed. Go for it.

2012 V6 traded in for a 2017 VW GTI.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-30-2012
GT Member
S197 Member

The vendor I couldn't recall last night is American Muscle. Note that you can select the color of your car and see exactly what it would look like. As Strange Mud says, it's a bigger difference than one might think. I've been considering painting mine.

Allez Rouge
2012 GT Premium Coupe | Performance White | 401A Charcoal+Grabber Blue | Comfort Pkg | MT82 | Boss 302 Shift Knob | 18" Pony Pkg Wheels w/Brembo Pkg Center Caps | Boss/CS Front Valance | Scott Drake 5.0/Tri-bar Fender Emblems | FRPP Strut Tower Brace | Redline Hood Struts | GT500 Rear Splash Guards | Rear Spoiler Delete | Sound Tube Delete
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-30-2012
Seadog

I hadn't seen that at American Muscle before. I wonder how it compares in cost to having a shop do it? A moot topic since it does not say that it will fit the 2013. I had been looking at one of the spray kits that has everything to do the job, but at $55/kit, it would not take long to make that not worth while.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-30-2012
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

I have seen a lot of people with painted covers, but it concerns me because mine is all burnt up and scarred from the hood prop touching it when the engine bay is hot. If you invest in some hood struts and get rid of the prop, I think it would be a great show addition as that part doesn't ever get hot except in the spots the prop touches.

Current Mods: 19x8.5 Charcoal AMR Rims, Bama Tune 93H, Airaid CAI, FRPP Sport Axle Backs, FRPP 3.73 gears, Boss/CS/GT500 Rear Diffuser, GT500 Rear Spoiler, GT500 Mud Guards, Raxiom Reverse/License LED Lights, OEM Take off Black Charcoal Leather, GT500 Steering Wheel, Auto Headlights, Chrome 3.7 Badges, Quarter Window Louvers, Dark Matter Tint

Future Mods: Matte black GT500 Stripe, Black Billet Grilles, Stillen Front Chin Spoiler, Roush Side Splitters, Painted Mirror Caps
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-30-2012
Rookie

I'am painting mine.I think it will look sharp. I also have the Sterling grey color. I am using the same principle as painting my coil covers. I will scuff the plastic with a scotch pad then use an adhesion promotor, primer, paint, and clear followed by color sand buff and wax. I went to the local NAPA and they mixed me up the color in a spray can for $20.00.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in