Flash to pass HIDs - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elite_Deforce View Post

Hmm now I'm confused... who holds the correct answer?
Everything you ever wanted to know about HIDs and then some

High-intensity discharge lamp - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

2012 Red Candy GT Premium, 6MT, 401A, Brembo, GT Acc Pack 5, HIDs, Sat Nav
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Apprentice

15 characters........

2012 Red Candy GT Premium, 6MT, 401A, Brembo, GT Acc Pack 5, HIDs, Sat Nav

Last edited by tc151; 12-01-2012 at 05:49 PM. Reason: operator error
PONY Member

Quote:
Yeah, this is what I thought. Isn't that what we were saying??
What was being said was that the entire projector housing was moving up and down to form the low and high beams. That is not the case. There is only one moving part (well, two if you count the solenoid itself), and that is the shutter. It's on the bottom of the housing because the light beam is inverted as it passes the front lens.

2012 GT Premium Coupe 6MT
Kona Blue | Black/Grabber Blue
401A | 3.55 | BBP | CP | SP | EP | GR | HID | RVC | RSS | "Piss 5ohwhoa off"
Delivered 07MAR11

post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-02-2012 Thread Starter
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc151 View Post
Everything you ever wanted to know about HIDs and then some

High-intensity discharge lamp - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Oh mighty Wiki...
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye18 View Post
What was being said was that the entire projector housing was moving up and down to form the low and high beams. That is not the case. There is only one moving part (well, two if you count the solenoid itself), and that is the shutter. It's on the bottom of the housing because the light beam is inverted as it passes the front lens.
Ok, well this is the impression I was under all along...

-2012 Grabber Blue GT 6M Premium w/ Brembos, Glass Roof, HID security pkg, Rear Camera, 401a, FRPP GT500 Axle-backs, Front Pioneer TS-D6802R speakers, JHR bracket, Bondra clutch extension.
-1986 Mazda RX-7 GX - Fast Mirage 16" Wheels, Sumo Firenza 205/60R Tires, slotted brakes + performance pads. Otherwise factory stock.
-2008 Mazda Mazda3 GT Sport - Stock, 5MT.
-2004 Volvo XC90 T5 - Comfort pkg, safety pkg.
-1995 Infiniti G20 - Sold, Pioneer head unit, lighting mods, miss it dearly.
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
@412 Horses. Ford even calls it "flash-to-pass" in the manual. My condolences for the idiot drivers in your area, but they are there for a reason, like letting someone in or, well, flashing to pass..
I said it was a good idea, I just said most (most) drivers don't know what it is. And for that reason it's probably going to do more harm than good. Unless your manuever involves a professional driver, I stand by that comment 100%. And the fact that Ford puts it in the manual is meaningless to even most Ford owners. As in how many threads are started here on topics clearly indexed and addressed in the manual?

Scott | 2012 GT Premium Coupe • Performance White • 6R80 • HID • 64M Wheels • Ford All-Weather Pony Mats & Trunk Liner • GT500/GT Rear Mud Flap Set • Ohio's Horses License Plate • Raxiom Aero Tails

If you love your dog, get a microchip, they really work! My lost dog was back home in just under 24 hours thanks to the good citizens who called the county and the microchip that told animal control exactly where he lived.
post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012 Thread Starter
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 412horses View Post
I said it was a good idea, I just said most (most) drivers don't know what it is. And for that reason it's probably going to do more harm than good. Unless your manuever involves a professional driver, I stand by that comment 100%. And the fact that Ford puts it in the manual is meaningless to even most Ford owners. As in how many threads are started here on topics clearly indexed and addressed in the manual?
And I'm saying that varies widely by area.

-2012 Grabber Blue GT 6M Premium w/ Brembos, Glass Roof, HID security pkg, Rear Camera, 401a, FRPP GT500 Axle-backs, Front Pioneer TS-D6802R speakers, JHR bracket, Bondra clutch extension.
-1986 Mazda RX-7 GX - Fast Mirage 16" Wheels, Sumo Firenza 205/60R Tires, slotted brakes + performance pads. Otherwise factory stock.
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimace427 View Post
Oops, sorry for the mis-info and thanks for the correction. I guess I was mixing up our system with bi-xenons.
I think you'll find the moving projector on MB (and Audi, BMW, etc.) is for the purpose of self-leveling the headlight beam which is a requirement for HID lamps in Europe. This is to reduce glare for other drivers when cresting hills, etc. where the beam would otherwise be significantly above the horizon.

HIDs are either "bi-xenon" (both high-beam and low-beam come from a single light source with a shutter to change beam shape) or separate projectors are used for high-beam and low-beam. Unfortunately, some unscrupulous aftermarket vendors call their product "bi-xenon" when they've spliced a halogen high-beam filament onto an HID capsule for use in halogen housings (both illegal and stupid).

2011 Pony Pkg. convertible M6
2000 Trans Am WS7 (sold)
GT Member
5.0L Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 412horses View Post
Most ingorant drivers, particularly those in North America where the standard of driver education is low take it as a sign of aggression and will be far more likely to pull some limp-**** agressive maneuver if you flash them. Sometimes they even slow down or put on the brakes as a result. Big rigs and buses and any other normal driver in the free world are really the only ones you can count on to know what you are doing.
Fixed it for you.

Please, ask me how I feel about North American drivers.

"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin
2012 Kona Blue Mustang GT
Roush Phase 2 625HP Supercharger | Black OTT Stripe | 400A | 5.0L | 6MT | 3.55 | HID | SP | CP | BBP | EP | RVC
Mods: Forget it .... too much to list!
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I heard long ago when HID's started coming around with the growth of Xenon equipped vehicles, that turning them on and off (non normal operation) within short periods of time greatly reduces the life of the bulbs. Also to not turn on off more than 8 times within any given short interval. All xenon/hid systems require that the gases in the bulb warm up to maximum brightness, however quick or not, that may be. Most bi-xenon factory headlights are put into high mode by the lens articulating or the fixture moving in some way allowing the beam to shift and more light directed. As long as you don't have a set of lows and a set of highs where you're lows run for your main beam of course, and flicking on/off the high bulbs you're ok. Use a q-beam next time....much more fun!

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

2013 GT Premium, Brembo's, Track Pack, 6MT, Recaro's, Reverse Sensors/Camera, GT500 A/B, BMR Springs, Strange 10-way Adjustables w/GT500 Mounts, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, 20" Staggered Vossen CV2's/Nitto Invo's.....BMR UCA/Bracket, BMR LCA's, BMR LCA Relocation Brackets being done soon.
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellobatman View Post
...Most bi-xenon factory headlights are put into high mode by the lens articulating or the fixture moving in some way allowing the beam to shift and more light directed.
ALL factory bi-xenon HID projectors use a moving shutter plate inside the projector to change from low-beam to high-beam. This is because there is more of a difference between the beams than just aim and positioning. The shape of the beam (particularly the upper cutoff) is different and simply moving the lens or housing won't provide the required different shape. The shutter has an edge with the distinct cutoff shape ____/ŻŻŻŻ that blocks a portion of the light generated by the HID arc when using low-beams and creates the sharp upper cutoff of the light output. Switching to high-beams merely moves the shutter out of the way so that all the light is permitted through the lens and the resulting shape is more like that of a flashlight.

2011 Pony Pkg. convertible M6
2000 Trans Am WS7 (sold)
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellobatman View Post
I heard long ago when HID's started coming around with the growth of Xenon equipped vehicles, that turning them on and off (non normal operation) within short periods of time greatly reduces the life of the bulbs. Also to not turn on off more than 8 times within any given short interval. All xenon/hid systems require that the gases in the bulb warm up to maximum brightness, however quick or not, that may be. Most bi-xenon factory headlights are put into high mode by the lens articulating or the fixture moving in some way allowing the beam to shift and more light directed. As long as you don't have a set of lows and a set of highs where you're lows run for your main beam of course, and flicking on/off the high bulbs you're ok. Use a q-beam next time....much more fun!

Are they covered under warranty? How much do they cost to replace after normal wear?
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I would assume if equipped from factory and under bumper to bumper warranty they would be covered. I could be wrong.

2013 GT Premium, Brembo's, Track Pack, 6MT, Recaro's, Reverse Sensors/Camera, GT500 A/B, BMR Springs, Strange 10-way Adjustables w/GT500 Mounts, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, 20" Staggered Vossen CV2's/Nitto Invo's.....BMR UCA/Bracket, BMR LCA's, BMR LCA Relocation Brackets being done soon.
post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012 Thread Starter
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OAC_Sparky View Post
Fixed it for you.

Please, ask me how I feel about North American drivers.
Thank you good sir!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandoTheKing View Post
Are they covered under warranty? How much do they cost to replace after normal wear?
I would imagine they would die far past the warranty.

I think they are in the $1000 vicinity for FP. Can anyone confirm?

PONY Member

What?? $1000 to replace a light bulb?
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Tails on a 2013 are $900+!!! Go figure....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page