Ford Racing 84.5 or 90mm Throttle body? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-30-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Ford Racing 84.5 or 90mm Throttle body?

Has anyone installed either of these Ford throttle bodies on their GT?
I'm wondering about compatibility with my Steeda CAI and 91 tune, as well as potential HP gains with naturally aspirated engine.

http://www.steeda.com/store/ford-rac...ttle-body.html

2012 GT Yellow Blaze MT 3.73 * Steeda CAI & 91 Tune * Koni Yellows * Steeda Sports * BMR Adj. Panhard Bar, UCA, LCA's & Brackets * Barton Shifter & Bracket * Ford Brake Duct Cooling Kit * Steeda Brakes * Hypersilver Eurotek O2 19x9.5's * 275/40ZR19 Michelin PSS's * Ford Racing Touring Mufflers * GT/CS Front Valance * Boss Splitter * Blackout Fogs, Deck Lid & MMD Tail Light Trim * GT500 Rear Diffuser & Splash Guards * Infinity Ref. Fr. Speakers * Custom Faux Gas Cap * Redline Hood Struts *.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-01-2012
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Interesting looks like FRPP is now branding the 84.5mm accufab now. Accufab also makes the 90mm one for FRPP.

It will not be an issue with your CAI, you will simply need to get a new 4" to 3.5" coupler. It says tune is recommended but the accufab does not require a tune. I'll bet money none is required on the FRPP version. I'm running the accufab without any tune adjustments.

15 F22 M235i, JB4 Stage II, Cat delete, CAI
12 GT Prem 5.0 (Sold)
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-01-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Mann View Post
I'm running the accufab without any tune adjustments.
Which beggers the question - What is the 90mm throttle body actually DOING for you? What little research I've done leads me to conclude the 90mm TB is pointless unless you have a blower. I was hoping that perhaps the 84.5 might offer some real performance gain for NA 5.0's, perhaps with the Boss manifold. Hmmm, anyone?

2012 GT Yellow Blaze MT 3.73 * Steeda CAI & 91 Tune * Koni Yellows * Steeda Sports * BMR Adj. Panhard Bar, UCA, LCA's & Brackets * Barton Shifter & Bracket * Ford Brake Duct Cooling Kit * Steeda Brakes * Hypersilver Eurotek O2 19x9.5's * 275/40ZR19 Michelin PSS's * Ford Racing Touring Mufflers * GT/CS Front Valance * Boss Splitter * Blackout Fogs, Deck Lid & MMD Tail Light Trim * GT500 Rear Diffuser & Splash Guards * Infinity Ref. Fr. Speakers * Custom Faux Gas Cap * Redline Hood Struts *.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-01-2012
glock22357

This is simply an un-educated guess, but I doubt either will do anything for you. I think those are for people that have major mods on their engines. I doubt a CAI and 93 tune will be helped.....

At least I don't think so.

More knowledgable people will correct me if I'm wrong.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-01-2012
GT Member

Most guys that run the 84.5 or 85 claim that the power gains come in the middle of the curve,basically picking up some midrange power and torque. Your final numbers on the dyno may not be affected much but theres another thread in another forum with guys talking about this subject. All claim to get better throttle response. If im correct I wanna say anything over the 85 mm will require a tune and you will not see any positive results on a naturally aspirated engine. Heres the link to that thread :
Accufab TB impressions...... - SVTPerformance

Blower and stuff

622 whp and 545 wtq @ 8.5psi
AED Tune = Best mod of all
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-01-2012
BOSS Member
S197 Member

My engine has a blower. I asked my tuner about changing the throttle body. He said " dont bother " and he sells aftermarket speed parts. He is also running one of the fastest promod cars in the country and his street driven turbocharged 2012 Boss makes nearly 700 rwhp. He has been tuning Fords for may years.Just my .02.

2011 GT. Grabber Blue. Procharged. 3:73 manual.Billit LCA's. Corsa Extremes. GT 500 wheels. Racemaster DR's. T-56 Tremec. Dynotech DS . Centerforce DF. American Racing headers/high flow cats 560 rwhp.Donny Walsh tuned

2012 Pony Package. Race Red.3:31 automatic.BBK longtubes and catted X.FRPP Sport axlebacks. BBK throttle body. Dynotech DS. Brembo wheels and tires. Strut tower brace. Airraid CAI. Bama tuned.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-02-2012
PONY Member

Just realize that you won't be able to control yourself and buy a supercharger. Get a really powerful one too. I still want more power.

2012 Mustang GT: Edelbrock E-Force Supercharger; Steeda UCA & LCA; BBK Long Tube Headers & x pipe; 3.73, Brembo, Roush 18X10, Nitto 555R Drag Radial 305/40/18, Magnaflow Cat Back. I am just lucky my wife let me buy and modify this car.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-02-2012
PONY Member

The bang/buck ratio isn't that great, but it will gain some power. They have proven this on the Boss intake manifold as well as on supercharged engines. We're not talking much Hp/Tq here...if my memory serves me, it was around 5 of each.

2013 Mustang GT - 402A GT/CS - 6R80 - Glass Roof - Engine Block Heater - SGM Exterior - CB/Miko Interior

Steeda Adjustable PHB (Street) and Steeda PH Brace, Stainless Works Retro Catback Exhaust...
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katastrophe View Post
The bang/buck ratio isn't that great, but it will gain some power. They have proven this on the Boss intake manifold...
Proof? Link please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katastrophe View Post
We're not talking much Hp/Tq here...if my memory serves me, it was around 5 of each.
So, even if true, we're talking over $100 per HP. That's about the worst bang for buck possible. Thanks for the heads up randeez11, those are two very valuable cents.

Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by pac-man View Post
Which beggers the question - What is the 90mm throttle body actually DOING for you? What little research I've done leads me to conclude the 90mm TB is pointless unless you have a blower. I was hoping that perhaps the 84.5 might offer some real performance gain for NA 5.0's, perhaps with the Boss manifold. Hmmm, anyone?
I have seen his before and after dyno results with the 84.5mm accufab and he gained a minimum of 15 wtrq and as much as 20 wtrq and 20 whp in the midrange around 5300 RPMs over the stock throttle body. After 5400 or so the gains are much smaller at around 2-4 whp so peak gains are not massive but overall there is a much larger area under the torque curve. For a DD car those midrange gains as well as throttle response gains can be felt and are much appreciated IMHO. Even for someone who drag races the recovery from each shift should be faster vs the stock throttle body.
GT Member

T2, pictures please.... thanks

I don't speak often but when I do, I don't have clue what I am talking about. I just repeat things that I once heard and do not repeat them correctly... My doctor told me it was an ID 10 T problem and it was incurable.
So when I reply to a post or add to a thread I just find the words elsewhere and copy and paste.
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pac-man View Post
Proof? Link please.

So, even if true, we're talking over $100 per HP. That's about the worst bang for buck possible. Thanks for the heads up randeez11, those are two very valuable cents.
The New Boss 302 Intake - Hot Rod Magazine

2012 Boss 302 Intake Test - 5.0 Mustang & Super Fords Magazine

These are just two examples of the many articles out there. Use Google and you'll find some more.

As stated, you'll get some gains from these...but at quite the cost.

- K

2013 Mustang GT - 402A GT/CS - 6R80 - Glass Roof - Engine Block Heater - SGM Exterior - CB/Miko Interior

Steeda Adjustable PHB (Street) and Steeda PH Brace, Stainless Works Retro Catback Exhaust...
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-08-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminator2 View Post
I have seen his before and after dyno results with the 84.5mm accufab and he gained a minimum of 15 wtrq and as much as 20 wtrq and 20 whp in the midrange around 5300 RPMs over the stock throttle body. After 5400 or so the gains are much smaller at around 2-4 whp so peak gains are not massive but overall there is a much larger area under the torque curve.
Isn't most (or all) of that gain due simply to the retune?

I mean, I already have the Steeda 91 tune, which picked up about the same HP and torque gains you cite for the TB and tune. I'm probably now at about 440 hp at the flywheel, with redline above 7,000 (much like the Boss). Are you saying that with the addition of a larger TB and another retune, I can add another 20 hp...over and above what the Steeda tune gave me? Confused.

GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

No the gains do not stack up like that he is probably talking about over stock.a new throttle body should open up some power in the 2000-4500 rpm range very debatable on how much. The auto guys will benefit from better throttle response as well

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

1st Time at the 1/4 Mile Best E.T out of 4 passes (Without Ported Intake Manifold):
Uncorrected 2500DA [email protected] MPH w/ a 2.17 60".Corrected [email protected] MPH
Ford Racing 4.10 Gears/ Borla S Type Axleback/BBK Chrome Equal Length Shorties/Lethal Performance Catless H Pipe/JLT CAI/Ported Upper and Lower Intake Manifolds/Steeda 91 Octane Tune/ SR Springs
Grimace427

This is the only instance where I saw someone gain anything substantial with an N/A Coyote and an upgraded throttlebody. Everyone else shows maybe 1-5hp anywhere in the graph, if anything at all.

Matt D Accufab test
No tuning changes were made.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in