Learning Curve on 6 Speed Transmission? - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodgeball View Post
Good afternoon,

I'm wondering whether anyone who has recently gone from 5 speed to 6 speed transmission felt there was any "learning curve" or "get the feel" curve in making the transition?
ll
YES! Absolutly!

I went from a 430 HP Roush 427R 5sp to a 2012 GT 6sp-

HUGE differance and I had to pay real close to attention to what gear I was in. I found myself hitting six instead of fourth and third was sometimes hard to find -

Now after a 1000 miles on her on I rarely need to think about it - just different - thats all-

Tim

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-02-2012 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim13 View Post
So, just out of curiosity, where do people like their final rpm's? I like them around 1750 to 1900 if traffic allows. Anything in the 2000 to 3000 range, the sound of the tranny starts telling my brain it's time to shift...lol.

Tim
Final RPM, like for cruising...I'll usually be around 2K but on the high side more than the low. If I'm changing speed a lot, but just in normal traffic, I'll keep it somewhere around 3K, again on the high side more than the low. If I'm pushing it on purpose, well then I'll be on the high side of 6K, but that is just during acceleration and drop down when I hit cruising speed.

Apprentice

just crusing with no where to be, around 1800-2100. any other time shift around 5k, keep it at 3000-3500...

SHELBY GT 350 Member

Tim, with the same car I like to keep mine at 2k, any less and there is little get up and go...If I know it's flat and don't expect to have to change speed I'll upshift one but normally don't. Your style will get you closer to the EPA numbers.

2012 V6 traded in for a 2017 VW GTI.
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckbubbles View Post
One thing I don't like about the current crop of 6-speeds in the 5.0 is that 5th is 1:1 whereas 4th is 1:1 in the older 5-speed. So you have to make an extra shift to get to the same place. Maybe that is fine drag racing, but on the street it sure gets to be work.

I would always rather have had the '07-'10 Shelby GT500 6-speed, where 4th is 1:1, 5th is .8:1 and 6th is .6:1.
Maybe that's fine for the GT500 but the way the Coyote delivers power is drastically different then then 5.4L huff'ed modular. The MT82's gear ratios work extremely well with the engine's torque curve and gives you a real kick in the pants when you put the hammer down.

Quote:
I've also heard lots of complaints on the boards about the Getrag 6-speed in the newer models.
Doesn't equate to everyone who has an MT82 though and just speaks for people on boards who typically come onto forums to express concerns or disappointment. Some people have awesome luck with it and others don't (Lethal Performance has a 100% factory MT82 and shifting assembly and is routinely powershifted with close to 700RWPH). That would be the same for any machine though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in